Help Stone Gossard Support the Preservation of Wild Horses

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited January 2018 in Vitalogy
Help Stone Gossard Support the Preservation of Wild Horses
News January 21 2018
Join Stone Gossard, The Vitalogy Foundation, and Wild Love Preserve to help support the preservation of native wild horses and their natural habitat. 

Founded by Stone's childhood friend, Andrea Maki, Wild Love Preserve's mission is to protect and preserve wild horses in their native environments and nurture the legacy of respective indigenous ecosystems as an interconnected whole, in collaborative, responsible and sustainable manners, with community engagement and benefit. 

Wild Love Preserve's model has garnered national attention and is being sourced as a framework for other wild horse regions in the West.
Due January 23, the Idaho Bureau of Land Management is asking for public comment on the use of helicopters and motorized vehicles with the Challis wild horses.

https://youtu.be/AaaTj2RUe8o

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Way to over shadow Stone's cause by announcing shows.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Unfortunately, Stone is a little misguided on this one. Horses are not native to North America and cause immense damage to arid habitats in the west that ends up negatively affecting actual native species. Giving your childhood friend a platform is cool, and protecting animals is noble, but as far as I can tell their mission statement is just a bunch of fluffy, redundant language without any clear indication of how they are going to impact the environment in a positive manner. And the fact that their website and announcements repeatedly call these horses native tells me all I need to know...
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Unfortunately, Stone is a little misguided on this one. Horses are not native to North America and cause immense damage to arid habitats in the west that ends up negatively affecting actual native species. Giving your childhood friend a platform is cool, and protecting animals is noble, but as far as I can tell their mission statement is just a bunch of fluffy, redundant language without any clear indication of how they are going to impact the environment in a positive manner. And the fact that their website and announcements repeatedly call these horses native tells me all I need to know...
    Stone is definitely NOT misguided.  At what point in time do you determine if a species is native?   Further, horses cause much less damage to arid habitats than the grazing rights of the ranchers who control BLM.   You don't really think that the reason they are getting rid of (or attempting to get rid of) wild horses is to protect the environment, do you?    The reason for the assault on wild horses is to allow more cows to graze.  These cows are owned by private ranchers who demand that they be allowed to let their cattle graze on PUBLIC LANDS for an absurdly low lease rate - it might as well be considered free - at taxpayer expense - that is me and you.   Further the vast majority of Americans want wild horses on their public lands.  This is a choice between private ranchers using public lands for their profit or wild horses using public lands for the benefit of the public.    
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    I just made a donation.  Thank you Stone for supporting this cause!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • In Nevada, we have more wild horses than all other states combined, so I'm well aware of the conflicts at hand. I promise, I am no fan of cows on our public lands either. At all. And I'm not purporting to have a solution here, but as an ecologist by trade, I find it hard to support a cause that appears to be based in emotion rather than science. Most people want horses on our public lands because they are majestic symbols of the west, but many people are unaware that horses are causing damage to environments that cannot support exponentially growing herds. However, the BLM is aware of that, and it's the primary influence behind their horse roundups.

And there's no clear-cut answer to your question about when an introduced species can finally be considered native. Maybe 10,000 years. Yup, that sounds good, I'm gonna go with 10,000 years. Let's continue this discussion then.  =)
  • treestrees Columbus OHIO Posts: 1,799
    Iam a Farrier so yes i love that Stone is on this .you have my support

PJ Cuyahoga Flalls OH 8/26/1998
    PJ Noblesviile IN 8/18/2000
    PJ Cincinnatti OH 8/20/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 8/21/2000
    PJ Columbus OH 6/24/2003
    PJ Hamilton Ontario 9/13/2005
    PJ Phiadelphia PA 10/3/2005
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/20/2006
    PJ Columbia SC 6/16/2008.....
    e.V Chicago IL 8/21/2008
    e.V Philly PA 6/11/2009
    e.V Bailtimore MD 6/14/2009...
    PJ Chicago IL 8/23/2009
    .PJ...Philly PA 10/27/2009 PJ.Philadephia PA 10/28/2009.
    PJ Columbus OH 5/6/2010
    PJ Cleveland OH 5/9/2010.
    BRAD Columbus OH 10/5/2010
    e.V St.Louis MO 7/1/2011
    .PJ.. East Troy WI 9/3/2011..PJ..East Troy WI 9/4/2011
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse Cleveland OH 10/8/2012
    RNDM Chicago IL11/13/2012
    Alice In Chains/SoundGarden Columbus OH 5/19/2013
    AIC Fort Wayne IN 5/21/2013
    PJ Pittsburgh PA 10/11/2013
    AIC Cincinnati OH 5/17/2014
    AIC Cleveland OH 5/19/2014
    AIC Indianapolis IN 8/19/2014
    PJ Cincinnati OH 10/1/2014
    AIC Cincinnati OH 8/06/2015
    RNDM Chicago IL 3/15/2016
    PJ Columbia SC 4\21\2016
    PJ Lexington KY 4/26/2016
    PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2016
    Soundgarden Columbus OH 5/20/2017 Canceled RIP Chris
    AIC Columbus OH 5/18/2018 
    PJ Chicago IL 8/18/2018 PJ Chicago IL 8/20/2018
    PJ St Louis Missouri 9/18/2022
    AIC Cuyohoga falls Oh. 8/16/2019
    SHAWNSMITH Rip 2019Mark Lanegan Band 5/18/19
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024