Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Every day I randomly google "Neil Young Tour" at least once... just hoping... wishing... please god, announce a fucking tour!!! :) 
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Promise of the Real seems to be on every festival lineup released, not sure what that would mean for a NY tour? But I'm also hoping he tours this year for sure. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • pjpitt89 said:
    Promise of the Real seems to be on every festival lineup released, not sure what that would mean for a NY tour? But I'm also hoping he tours this year for sure. 
    Inspired by his hometown show, who knows -- maybe he will tour acoustic by himself? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited January 2018
    pjpitt89 said:
    Seriously? I don't see anything past May right now
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    my2hands said:
    pjpitt89 said:
    Seriously? I don't see anything past May right now
    Well they're in on Firefly too, which is mid June and I swear I saw them on another festival in June too. I just want Neil, and I think POTR keeps him energized. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • I USED TO DIG PICASSO
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I'm driftin back now.......

• Greendale (2003). You always have to respect Neils crazy ventures. And greendale must be the Neil-album I've invested the most into - I saw him on the tour, I bought the Be the rain-single and bought the film on DVD. But, listening to Greendale now I don't find the rock opera with its social realistic stories that compelling. BUT - the songs work alot better live on the live album from Dublin, where you get Neils banter between and introduction to the songs. Just like in Stockholm where I saw him. I would say that is the way one should experience this album.

Prairie Wind (2005). I remember this being hyped up as a successor to Harvest and Harvest Moon. The songs are not here. The production is great. The horns, the backing vocals and the sound of it is great. But, with few exceptions - the songs aren't here.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258

Greendale (2003). You always have to respect Neils crazy ventures. And greendale must be the Neil-album I've invested the most into - I saw him on the tour, I bought the Be the rain-single and bought the film on DVD. But, listening to Greendale now I don't find the rock opera with its social realistic stories that compelling. BUT - the songs work alot better live on the live album from Dublin, where you get Neils banter between and introduction to the songs. Just like in Stockholm where I saw him. I would say that is the way one should experience this album.

Prairie Wind (2005). I remember this being hyped up as a successor to Harvest and Harvest Moon. The songs are not here. The production is great. The horns, the backing vocals and the sound of it is great. But, with few exceptions - the songs aren't here.
    I have to agree with the Greendale review, although I'd maybe give it 3 stars. It's good, but it's definitely better live. The movie and book are cool too.

I always want to like Prairie Wind more than I actually do. Maybe it's because it came out after Neil's aneurysm, and there was a genuine feeling that we could have lost him that makes it feel like a key record, but it's never as good as I remember it.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    Greendale is at least a 3 in my world, but it's all good....

Prarie Wind only a 2????????? The songs aren't there???? I think it's a 5 star Neil Young 21st Century Masterpiece... one of thel all time Neil classic albums in my opinion
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2018
    my2hands said:
    Prarie Wind only a 2????????? The songs aren't there???? I think it's a 5 star Neil Young 21st Century Masterpiece... one of thel all time Neil classic albums in my opinion

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • NO TIME FOR GENERAL CUSTER!
    But you lose points for using a Nicki Minaj gif!

(Tim Rogers)
    You guys are fucking nuts

2 stars??? 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2018
    goldrush said:
    But you lose points for using a Nicki Minaj gif!
    But, I love Nicki... :/

my2hands said:
    You guys are fucking nuts

2 stars??? 
    Greendale is closer to 3 stars than Praire Wind. Be the rain was the bomb in 2003. And man, I would love it to be the 5 star classic follow up to Harvest Moon. But I'd rather take Silver & Gold as the closer of that "trilogy". 

Btw, how is the Greendale comic? Which was a weird thing to release X years after the album...
    I love Greendale, and would give it a 4, I still spin it in 2018... Prarie Wind is a 5 star classic 
    my2hands said:

I'd probably give Prairie Wind 3 stars, but the "Heart of Gold" concert dvd of the Prairie Wind songs is amazing. I'd definitely give that 5 stars.
    Maybe it's partly why I don't listen to the album so much, I prefer to listen to the live versions.

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

I'd probably give Prairie Wind 3 stars, but the "Heart of Gold" concert dvd of the Prairie Wind songs is amazing. I'd definitely give that 5 stars.
    Maybe it's partly why I don't listen to the album so much, I prefer to listen to the live versions.
    Need to re-watch that. Will have to dig out my dvd.
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Beautiful concert film right there
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm makin' another delivery, of chemicals and sacred roots.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    I'LL HOLD WHAT YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME

(Loveeeeeed hearing it in Stockholm in 2001. One of my favorites)
    brianlux said:
    I'LL HOLD WHAT YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME

(Loveeeeeed hearing it in Stockholm in 2001. One of my favorites)
    Excellent!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Not a super vinyl-junkie. But I just bough the War Song single, because its a great song and I stumbled upon it.
    Not a super vinyl-junkie. But I just bough the War Song single, because its a great song and I stumbled upon it.
    Nice!

edited January 2018
    I spent the last three evenings watching "Weld" (one third each night).  It was great to break it up and completely immerse myself in the power, energy and commitment of that incredible footage.  It struck me that Neil and Crazy Horse at this period in time created a storm of glorious sound that is one of the incredible pinnacles of rock and roll!

• Living with War (2006). Neil's pulling no punches on this album directed towards George W. Bush. Neil's lack of finesse in the lyrics adds to the experience. A quick and impulsive album with strong songs. I think this was Neil's first time releasing several versions/mixes of an album. Not a fan of that. This was also the first time I had heard the name Obama. 

• Chrome Dreams II (2007). Sequel to a ’70s album never (officially) released. A very Neil-thing to do. There are a few good songs on this album, but as a whole it’s bland. 
    edited January 2018
    There’s a new online newspaper up on the Archives site, the NYA Times-Contrarian! 
    There are some cool articles on there already, talking about using the newspaper to keep us updated on new releases, the Archives subscriptions, and a ‘Movie Night’ streaming films or long form videos from the Archives. 

There’s also some background on the upcoming “Roxy - Tonight’s The Night Live” release:

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    As well as (finally!) some news on the ALCHEMY live album from the 2012 tour!

(Tim Rogers)
    There’s also this fantastic little line, included towards the bottom of one of the articles...

(Tim Rogers)