Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    eddiec said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hetfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    If he shoots lions and elephants with an assault rifle then he's a doucher. If he hunts deer with a 260 Remington then I have no problem with it.
    I don’t know of anyone that shoots lions or elephants with an “assault rifle”, although Hatfield does hunt Bears with a regular old non-assault rifle.  He has always been an outspoken supporter of hunting and the NRA, but the band itself does not seem to involve themselves in politics.  Just curious where people draw the line.
    I only listen to vegan bands that make their own clothes from recycled fabrics and live in hay bail homes with solar panels. 
    Lol, sounds like a large pool!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    You guys crack me up! :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    one thing to note......I haven't heard one democrat complain about Ed's banter. If he was pro-Bush or pro-any republican, I'm pretty sure the complainers would be from a different side. 

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    for the life of me, i can't figure out why any lifetime republican would be interested in this band. from their lyrics, to their political and social stances. i wouldn't be able to separate that from the music. because half of it IS the music. 

Well, I was one until this past couple years.  I'm closer to a Democrat than a Republican now.

I always respected the band and how sincere they were with their beliefs.  I believe all of their positions come from a perspective of caring for people and humanity.   I may not have agreed with all of their positions and the proper way to do things, but nevertheless respected them, the music and the lyrics. 

I can understand why a 17 year old would get an abortion, and the position that it is her body and her call.  I understand the position that others take that it is murder, or that the father should have some say in what happens to the baby.  I think both positions have a lot of value, and thus I am not going to hate someone on either side of it.

Of course, one big difference is that Republicans are more war hungry, so it is a lot easier for a Republican to tolerate a piece happy Democrat, than for a Democrat to accept a war hungry Republican.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    PJPOWER said:
    eddiec said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hetfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    If he shoots lions and elephants with an assault rifle then he's a doucher. If he hunts deer with a 260 Remington then I have no problem with it.
    I don’t know of anyone that shoots lions or elephants with an “assault rifle”, although Hatfield does hunt Bears with a regular old non-assault rifle.  He has always been an outspoken supporter of hunting and the NRA, but the band itself does not seem to involve themselves in politics.  Just curious where people draw the line.
    I only listen to vegan bands that make their own clothes from recycled fabrics and live in straw  bail homes with solar panels. 

Ha!  If Stone sets up another side band it could be a possibility.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    brianlux said:
    I have to admit I've always been a bit surprised that there are hard right leaning Pearl Jam fans, but then maybe the music has a broad enough appeal that the band members' obviously strong left-leaning personalities (which do often come out in the music) doen't matter as much to those fans. 

The people I am really puzzled about at times are those folks who are outspokenly right-wing and who by far mostly post on AMT and yet have little to say about the music itself.  I don't get that (and also don't see that happen as much as in the past).

I guess if I looked at it in reverse, if there was a band that was outwardly and strongly right wing (and face it, that's pretty small company) and yet I thought their music was outstanding, I might call myself a fan, but only a fan of the music.  I doubt I would have any interest in talking on-line about any aspect of that band other than their music. And if that band became increasing outspoken about an overall right wing agenda, I would lose interest pretty quickly.  For example, he may have done some decent work early on, but I have no Ted Nugent in my record collection nor any interest in doing so.

dumbest thing I ever saw at a PJ show was at the Asheville Vote for Choice show in 2004.

3 dimwits in front of me were wearing Bush/Cheney 2004 shirts.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    hedonist said:
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    I have to admit I've always been a bit surprised that there are hard right leaning Pearl Jam fans, but then maybe the music has a broad enough appeal that the band members' obviously strong left-leaning personalities (which do often come out in the music) doen't matter as much to those fans. 

The people I am really puzzled about at times are those folks who are outspokenly right-wing and who by far mostly post on AMT and yet have little to say about the music itself.  I don't get that (and also don't see that happen as much as in the past).

I guess if I looked at it in reverse, if there was a band that was outwardly and strongly right wing (and face it, that's pretty small company) and yet I thought their music was outstanding, I might call myself a fan, but only a fan of the music.  I doubt I would have any interest in talking on-line about any aspect of that band other than their music. And if that band became increasing outspoken about an overall right wing agenda, I would lose interest pretty quickly.  For example, he may have done some decent work early on, but I have no Ted Nugent in my record collection nor any interest in doing so.
    although PJ (Eddie) write a lot of political songs, the majority are not.  The ones with universal themes (family, love, loss etc) tend to also be the most popular.  

Recently, I went on a Smashing Pumpkins nostalgia binge.  I listened to all the old albums (and some new) and I also watched a bunch of more recent Billy Corgan interviews.  Turns out the guy has been on Alex Jones several times and happens to be friends with him.  He seems to be a Trump supporter.  He also owns a wrestling league.  He's basically the musical poster boy for the alt-right.  But you know what? I've never admired the guy more.  His songs and musical expertise transcend politics.  I suppose righty PJ fans might look at Eddie the same way
    Bolded part, beautiful.  And applies to many.

(sometimes, you gotta keep 'em separated!)

Hedo,

Nart still gives me shit about liking Corgan after he appeared on the alex jones show.

def not a good look for him to associate himself with that nutjob but I give Corgan the benefit of the doubt. I just think he is attracted to the losers, outcasts and that type.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Embarrassing people in that crowd.

Embarrassing people on here that disregard all the things that comes with being an artist, having something to say with your songs and having a point of view. The "just play your songs like you are a jukebox"-people must be the dumbest/most ignorant people around. Go listen to some elevator music instead then.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018
    I don't mind Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder or artists voicing their views on things. The question is why did some people boo.
    That's because not all of his fans are nodding bobbleheads.  And Eddie should not expect all of his fans to be nodding bobbleheads and agree with everything he says.  I mean at Fenway he said something that not everybody agreed with and there was some discontent out there. You expect 80,000 fans to all have the same opinion?  To expect that would be pure arrogance.
    And the answer to Hugh freaking Dillon's question.
    How can anyconservatives enjoy Pearl Jam's music when everything they do is Progressive and liberal.
    If I had to agree with everything musicians believed I would have no music to listen to.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    RYME said:
    I don't mind Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder or artists voicing their views on things. The question is why did some people boo.
    That's because not all of his fans are nodding bobbleheads.  And Eddie should not expect all of his fans to be nodding bobbleheads and agree with everything he says.  I mean at Fenway he said something that not everybody agreed with and there was some discontent out there. You expect 80,000 fans to all have the same opinion?  To expect that would be pure arrogance.
    How can anyconservatives enjoy Pearl Jam's music when everything they do is Progressive and liberal.
    If I had to agree with everything musicians believed I would have no music to listen to.
    You don't have to be a nodding bobblehead to have enough class not to boo.  You just have to be an adult.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Exactly as you said RYME. We don't have to agree with everything that an artist says, but if we enjoy their music then it doesn't really matter. A record bought is not equal to a vote cast. Wasn't one of the Ramones very pro-Bush, as was Dave Mustaine at the time I think? That doesn't stop me from enjoying Megadeth and the Ramones. But it depends on the individual's perspective. I know there's probably some people out there who would stop listening to certain artists if they didn't agree with their stances on some issues. But if you apply that principle to every artist that you hear, you are really limiting yourself, and you're also not leaving yourself open to having your own viewpoint challenged and tested, which I personally believe is very important to do.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    You don't have to be a nodding bobblehead to have enough class not to boo.  You just have to be an adult.
    I'm not sure booing is not being an adult. Throwing stuff would be "not being an adult".  Booing?  Nope.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    I'm not sure booing is not being an adult. Throwing stuff would be "not being an adult".  Booing?  Nope.
    Booing someone for not being patriotic enough or whatever the reason was is idiotic. Adult or not.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    Booing someone for not being patriotic enough or whatever the reason was is idiotic. Adult or not.
    It had nothing to do with being patriotic or not. It had to do with some fans disagreeing with what he was saying.  Eddie has a right to demonstrate his opinions and so does his fans.
    Eddie obviously has a big microphone he can use it however he wants.  But to expect your entire fan base to agree with you simultaneously about everything would be insane.
    Again if I had to agree politically and socially with every band or artist before I could listen and enjoy, I would have no music to listen to, & no movies to watch.
  • I'm in the "shut up and sing a song" camp despite often agreeing with what he has to say. Strangely though, some people really like to hear him rant about politics. I was at show a few years ago and he was talking about whatever and he said "You know me...I can go on forever" and I shouted out "TRUST ME, WE FUCKING KNOW!" and this girl in front of me got really mad.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Once a guy turns out to be some person who spews stuff I don't care for... I stop listening to them.

For example, Elvis Costello said. "I hate Led Zeppelin and everything the've spawned." Needle drags across the record and... no more listen to. Get serious, Elvis... they're infinitely greater than you.
    Well I hope you're not a fan of The Who because you're about to not be....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTJywZoG_bw
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hatfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    if he sang about gun rights and the second amendment and how obama was coming to take your guns and spoke to live crowds about the evils of democrats not wanting to protect society, yes, I would not go to their shows or buy their records. 

I'm sure there are artists whose political views I don't agree with. But that doesn't matter to me if it's not in the content of the songs or the live show. it's not a choice based on principle. just the words I can identify with. 

Hetfield has actually been asked why Metallica has never made direct mentions of politics and he says he feels that's divisive.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    Seems pretty childish to me.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hatfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    if he sang about gun rights and the second amendment and how obama was coming to take your guns and spoke to live crowds about the evils of democrats not wanting to protect society, yes, I would not go to their shows or buy their records. 

I'm sure there are artists whose political views I don't agree with. But that doesn't matter to me if it's not in the content of the songs or the live show. it's not a choice based on principle. just the words I can identify with. 

Hetfield has actually been asked why Metallica has never made direct mentions of politics and he says he feels that's divisive.
    Isn't that pretty much because he's the odd man out compared to Lars and Kirks (more) progressive views? My guess is the "no politics" talk is because they've had heated arguments and just decided to never talk politics within the group. Haha. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited January 2018

I'm in the "shut up and sing a song" camp despite often agreeing with what he has to say. Strangely though, some people really like to hear him rant about politics. I was at show a few years ago and he was talking about whatever and he said "You know me...I can go on forever" and I shouted out "TRUST ME, WE FUCKING KNOW!" and this girl in front of me got really mad.
    "The shut up and sing camp" is not far from the "just play the hits" camp.

Let the artist(s) be whoever he/they feel like they want to be. People going for a jukebox to be played, and not to watch a creative expression... hmm... yeah...
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    RYME said:
    Seems pretty childish to me.
    Then cheering when he says stuff is childish too.
    hippiemom = goodness

• I'm in the "shut up and sing a song" camp despite often agreeing with what he has to say. Strangely though, some people really like to hear him rant about politics. I was at show a few years ago and he was talking about whatever and he said "You know me...I can go on forever" and I shouted out "TRUST ME, WE FUCKING KNOW!" and this girl in front of me got really mad.

Let the artist(s) be whoever he/they feel like they want to be. People going for a jukebox to be played, and not to watch a creative expression... hmm... yeah...
    No it's not. For me, it's just fucking boring to listen to someone up there talking about some of the things Eddie talks about. It kills the vibe and the energy in the building. And I love Eddie Vedder so I'll put up with it. But if I went to just any old concert (which to someone else, a Pearl Jam concert might be that) and had to listen to the singer talk about politics, I'd probably be put off by it.

I went to see Roger Waters this past summer and certainty there were political statements all throughout the show. But not one of those statements was him just standing there talking. It was song lyrics and images on the video screen. That's very different than some dude, half-drunk on wine, rambling on.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

I'm in the "shut up and sing a song" camp despite often agreeing with what he has to say. Strangely though, some people really like to hear him rant about politics. I was at show a few years ago and he was talking about whatever and he said "You know me...I can go on forever" and I shouted out "TRUST ME, WE FUCKING KNOW!" and this girl in front of me got really mad.

I don't see how they are. One person just want to hear any music, the other wants them to stick with the hits,
    And I don't see either as being that bad, because I'd rather hear Even Flow for the 20th time than listen to You Are again.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:

Isn't that pretty much because he's the odd man out compared to Lars and Kirks (more) progressive views? My guess is the "no politics" talk is because they've had heated arguments and just decided to never talk politics within the group. Haha. 
    My guess is that the band as a whole would probably rather make headlines for putting on great concerts than having reviews focusing on political quotes that were made during the show and then get dragged through the mud by the media for said political statements.  That, and maybe they want to appeal to a larger audience.  Whatever the reason, i’m cool with it, just as i’m cool with bands using the platform that they have earned to say whatever the hell they want politically.
    Whenever you make any political statements, though, you’ve got to expect that some of the 50,000 people in the crowd might not agree.  I get way more annoyed with people holding up their cell phones, trying to record the whole show than a couple here and there booing.  I think the most annoying thing to me at a concert are the people constantly yelling for the band to play their favorite song...
    edited January 2018
    For those who say they wouldn't listen to a right-leaning band, then that's fine. I have no problem respecting and appreciating the talent of Pearl Jam even though I disagree with them on many topics (and their first 304 albums weren't all that political anyway). I personally think you;d be missing out if you can't separate the two, but that is your decision to do so.
    But for the majority here who side with the band, if you tell me that you would sit quietly while someone spoke about abortion and gun rights, then I will say I just don't believe you. There is no doubt in my mind if you attended a festival because PJ headlined it, and the group before them took the stage and spoke about those things, you'd boo until you passed out. So why do you expect others do to it?
    And the argument of "well you knew what to expect so just shut up" I don't get. For those who have that stance, can we agree to just close the Trump thread then? We knew what to expect, it has been over a year, so lets stop complaining about it then. Yeah, I didn't think so. Seems to me a lot like to point fingers when we all know very well if the shoe was on the other foot then there would be 100 excuses why it was okay.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mace1229 said:
    For those who say they wouldn't listen to a right-leaning band, then that's fine. I have no problem respecting and appreciating the talent of Pearl Jam even though I disagree with them on many topics (and their first 304 albums weren't all that political anyway).
    But for the majority here who side with the band, if you tell me that you would sit quietly while someone spoke about abortion and gun rights, then I will say I just don't believe you. There is no doubt in my mind if you attended a festival because PJ headlined it, and the group before them took the stage and spoke about those things, you'd boo until you passed out.
    And the argument of "well you knew what to expect so just shut up" I don't get. For those who have that stance, can we agree to just close the Trump thread then? We knew what to expect, it has been over a year, so lets stop complaining about it then. Yeah, I didn't think so. Seems to me a lot like to point fingers when we all know very well if the shoe was on the other foot then there would be 100 excuses why it was okay.
    First point - I have never booed a performer and I never would.

Second, surely you can see that there's a world of difference between choosing to go to a concert or other performance, and being "governed" (I'll use that term loosely) by a president that you didn't vote for and whose policies you disagree with and believe are harmful for the country? The shoe isn't on the other foot; the shoe isn't even on the same planet.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mace1229 said:
    their first 304 albums weren't all that political anyway
    I'm guessing this is a typo and you meant their first 3-4 albums. And really, is any Pearl Jam album really "political?" Bushleager is a political song, but that doesn't make Riot Act a political album. World Wide Suicide is a political song but doesn't make Avocado a political album. Eddie may speak up about issues that interest him, but he doesn't sing about them all that often. I should take that back. He'll often sing other people's songs that make political statements (Masters Of War, American In Me, etc.), but he doesn't write many songs like that.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    For those who say they wouldn't listen to a right-leaning band, then that's fine. I have no problem respecting and appreciating the talent of Pearl Jam even though I disagree with them on many topics (and their first 304 albums weren't all that political anyway).
    But for the majority here who side with the band, if you tell me that you would sit quietly while someone spoke about abortion and gun rights, then I will say I just don't believe you. There is no doubt in my mind if you attended a festival because PJ headlined it, and the group before them took the stage and spoke about those things, you'd boo until you passed out.
    First point - I have never booed a performer and I never would.

Second, surely you can see that there's a world of difference between choosing to go to a concert or other performance, and being "governed" (I'll use that term loosely) by a president that you didn't vote for and whose policies you disagree with and believe are harmful for the country? The shoe isn't on the other foot; the shoe isn't even on the same planet.
    Absolutely there's a difference. But I still don't see how the argument of "you knew what to expect so shut up" applies to either situation.
    And my first comment was a generalization. Of course not everybody would boo, but a large portion would. 
    And I'm not saying we should boo Eddie, I think it can be rude. I'm just saying I don't think that is a good argument against it. Which seems to be among the most common  arguments against booing. 
    I've never booed at a concert. I'll boo at a baseball game, because that is part of the fun of being there and the crowd is what the homefield advantage is for. But not at a concert. 
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    I'm guessing this is a typo and you meant their first 3-4 albums. And really, is any Pearl Jam album really "political?" Bushleager is a political song, but that doesn't make Riot Act a political album. World Wide Suicide is a political song but doesn't make Avocado a political album. Eddie may speak up about issues that interest him, but he doesn't sing about them all that often. I should take that back. He'll often sing other people's songs that make political statements (Masters Of War, American In Me, etc.), but he doesn't write many songs like that.
    I wish there was 304 albums. Yes, it was a typo.
    I agree with you, I don't consider RA and others a "political album" either. But some have considered them, and it really wasn't worth debating. They were more politically motivated for sure, and contain a couple political songs (in terms of lyrics) on each post-Yield album. 
    In my opinion anyone can listen to 10-yield and not be impacted at all by their political views. And, like you said, only very little after that. 10-Yeild are my favorite albums of all time, why would I not want to listen to the band live just because I disagree with them politically? Which seems to be suggested by some on here.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited January 2018

mace1229 said:
    the early masters of war with young Ed was great, I think it was for a benefit. I also think we need to bring that back now, the masters are focused on Syria!
    https://youtu.be/ngjdXGxzVhs

Post edited by JC29856 on