Alternative for ipod classic?

joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
I have an ipod classic 160gb with thousands of songs on it. I love this thing, it's great to be able to plug it in my car and have all that music on the go but I've had it for years and I know one day it will stop working. I'm not the most tech savvy so I'm not sure what a good alternative would be since they no longer make the ipod classic. Any suggestions?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    I'm in the same boat.  I love it and laugh when people joke about it.  Pretty much out of space on it but the thing rocks.  It re-set a few times but always comes back to life.  Should have purchased another before they discontinued them.  Most times I can use google music to access everything on it but w/o access I still want to have that iPod.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 301
    I'm in the same boat.  I love it and laugh when people joke about it.  Pretty much out of space on it but the thing rocks.  It re-set a few times but always comes back to life.  Should have purchased another before they discontinued them.  Most times I can use google music to access everything on it but w/o access I still want to have that iPod.
    Yeah before they discontinued it I kept thinking I really need to get another one but I was too late lol.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was lucky enough to grab a 120gb classic for $100 last spring when my old 60gb video was stolen.  I was also pissed though because the 60gb was still working like a charm at 10+ years old.

The iPod touch goes up to 128gb in capacity now, which would probably be the best replacement for a classic.  I don't really understand the concept of the iPod touch though, when most people who own an iPod probably own an iPhone as well, and all those extra features on the touch are on the phone.  I was pretty disappointed when Apple discontinued the classic.

It would be great if they made a nano with large capacity.  Give us people, who just want a music bank, a practical device.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

I used to feel the same way about my iPod classic.  It died awhile back and I just upgraded to the 256GB iPhone....it's actually really nice to have everything in one spot now and not always bring my phone and ipod when I get in my car.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

I used to feel the same way about my iPod classic.  It died awhile back and I just upgraded to the 256GB iPhone....it's actually really nice to have everything in one spot now and not always bring my phone and ipod when I get in my car.
    Mmm.  The only pieces of Apple equipment I own -- the AirPort and the iPod 160GB Classic - are the only items from Apple I plan to own.  Will have to see what the options are for my phone if the iPod breaks down.  (I kind of like having them separate right now...dont want another thing dependent on my battery charge for my phone.)

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The flash drive ones should last much longer. The ones before it, not so much. Mine 2005 video classic lasted 4 years. I think all the trans-Pacific flying I did during that time killed it. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    I've heard really good things about the FiiO X1 for example.  You can add space, they seem easy to use etc.  I am on a live tapers forum and people raved about it.
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Roughly 3 years ago, I replaced my iPod Classic with a Sony NWZ-A17 Hi-Res Walkman and added a 128GB MicroSD card. Then as they were released, a 200, 256 and very soon the new 400GB card.

I think it was dumb of them to stop making iPods that actually have space on them for music, but what do I know?
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Love my iPod Classic.
    edited November 2017
    Has Apple discontinued the Nano and Shuffle?  I can't find them on their website.

EDIT:  Apparently they were discontinued in July.  I guess it won't be long before the Touch goes by the wayside as well.  RIP dedicated music players.  Not everyone wants all their music on their phone.  I sure as hell don't.  I personally love having my iPod tucked away discreetly in the car's console and only having to unplug/remove it when I need to sync new music, instead of every time I get out of the car.
    And forget bluetooth.  Ford SYNC fucking sucks a donkey's ass.  I can NEVER get my phone to play thru my car via bluetooth.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2017
    Spotify? Best $10 I spend each month.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    iPod Classic is free and holds all of my PJ bootlegs.  I'm sure at point it dies and I have to change but I do not embrace it!
    edited November 2017
    iPod Classic is free and holds all of my PJ bootlegs.  I'm sure at point it dies and I have to change but I do not embrace it!
    I actually use an mp3 player as well. Spotify does not require you to throw out your mp3 library. ;) But seriously, mp3 players are great for listening to what you already know, but the amazing thing about Spotify, and why it's worth the money, is how it helps you discover new music or to hear an artist's entire catalogue, when you're only familiar with part of it. Spotify has changed my whole music world TBH. And I still have a ton of PJ boots stored on OneDrive. Plus, if you just use your smartphone, and store your mp3s on OneDrive or Dropbox or wherever, you have that whole library PLUS Spotify (pretty much all music worth listening to) at your fingertips on one device. I think that is fucking amazing!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    It sounds like you are letting the tech work for you, which is smart.
    I do have everything that is on my iPod accessible via google music by my phone...but I need to be connected.  I travel very frequently and having a source w/o the need to connect is a plus.
    edited November 2017
    It sounds like you are letting the tech work for you, which is smart.
    I do have everything that is on my iPod accessible via google music by my phone...but I need to be connected.  I travel very frequently and having a source w/o the need to connect is a plus.
    That is one of the great features of Spotify (I swear, they aren't paying me, lol, but you brought up a good point). Spotify allows you to temporarily download playlists/albums onto your phone so that you don't have to use any data while you're listening. :plus_one:
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    MedozK said:
    Love my iPod Classic.
    Same, it's always in my backpack and I listen to it everytime I am on the train.
    Such a shame they no longer make them. I treasure mine. I hope it lasts me for many years but I do worry about when the battery dies.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    MedozK said:
    Love my iPod Classic.
    Same, it's always in my backpack and I listen to it everytime I am on the train.
    Such a shame they no longer make them. I treasure mine. I hope it lasts me for many years but I do worry about when the battery dies.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-Classic-Thick-Replacement-Battery/IF130-021-2
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-Classic-Thin-Replacement-Battery/IF130-019-2

Looks like the hardest part is just getting the case apart.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    MedozK said:
    Love my iPod Classic.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-Classic-Thick-Replacement-Battery/IF130-021-2
    https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-Classic-Thin-Replacement-Battery/IF130-019-2

Yeah, it might look daunting, but repairs are pretty simple. Cracking the case apart is probably the trickiest step, but with the right tools it isn't  hard. I've replaced clickwheels, batteries, hard drives, cases, etc... I've used RapidRepair for years to source tools and parts. Never throw out a broken device! They can be kept running indefinitely.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I've had both the hard drive and battery replaced, over the last couple of years.  I think I spent $30 for the battery and $50 for the 120gb hard drive, both installed.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    MedozK said:
    Love my iPod Classic.

Oh wow, didn't know you can buy replacements. Thanks for that.
    I wouldn't know which I'd need.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • I still bust out my classic video iPod as well, man. I love it and wouldn’t have any other. Be proud of it!
    I still bust out my classic video iPod as well, man. I love it and wouldn’t have any other. Be proud of it!
    I have been using mine every day lately. 
    It gets me through commutes to university via train.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I use my 120gb iPod classic everyday.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    That’s how I listen to music in the car on commutes, iPod classic direct into the USB in the car, I can’t live without it..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    reesdog said:
    That’s how I listen to music in the car on commutes, iPod classic direct into the USB in the car, I can’t live without it..
    Same.
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    reesdog said:
    Same.
    Great minds..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've been a devoted iPod user from close to the start. I have an iPod touch the last few years and it works fine, but the battery is pretty hopeless.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 492
    also look up videos on how to take the hard drive out and put in a SD card. it's pretty simple once you get the case open. you can also get as big of a card as you want. works exactly the same. my friend has a 512GB ipod now after he did this!
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • StoveStove Posts: 310
    This place also does it based in Michigan. I upgraded mine to 250. It freezes every now and then but I just reboot it and its fine.
    https://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/1010-ipod-repair.html
    SSH