Options

Stevie Ray Vaughan

fadafada Posts: 1,032
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I have heard of his name but never his material. anyway I was looking through Jimi Hendrix's live catalog on youtube and I came across stevie ray playing vodoo child(slight return). Great guitarist. should I check him out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    definitely. there is so much material out there, its hard to tell you where to start. anything live will blow you away.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Stevie was one of the best guitar players ever, period. IMO the only guy that gave Hendrix a run for his money. My favourite tune is 'Lenny'.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    YES!

I don't know where you're from but he's a legend here in the U.S., especially in Texas. A lot of people say he ripped off Jimi Hendrix, and he probably did, but damn that white boy can play the blues guitar. He had a ton of great songs, and all of his albums are worth getting, but for a sampling, check these out songs:

Change It
    Couldn't Stand the Weather
    Voodoo Chile
    Cold Shot
    The House is Rockin'
    Crossfire
    Tightrope
    Riviera Paradise
    Pride and Joy
    Texas Flood
    The Sky is Cryin'
    Empty Arms
    Little Wing
    Life By the Drop

These are just the essentials. Check him out, I doubt he'll disappoint.
  • Options
    lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Great list above, the album "The Sky is Crying" is my fav, has a lot of the good stuff mentioned above on it.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Stevie was one of the best guitar players ever, period. IMO the only guy that gave Hendrix a run for his money. My favourite tune is 'Lenny'.

Thank you! Hendrix 1 and SRV 2. And Lenny, especially the version from the Live at Carnegie Hall CD, actually tears me up. So unbelievably beautiful.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Great list above, the album "The Sky is Crying" is my fav, has a lot of the good stuff mentioned above on it.
    I'm from Ireland by the way. anyway I say him do the above song with bb king on youtube
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Definately!
    His guitar playing is classic.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Make sure you find the album SRV did with Albert King titled "In Session.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    The only SRV album I have is Texas Flood... it's great at times, but a lot of songs haven't aged very well.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    fada wrote:
    I have heard of his name but never his material. anyway I was looking through Jimi Hendrix's live catalog on youtube and I came across stevie ray playing vodoo child(slight return). Great guitarist. should I check him out?

Yes, check him out. He was probably the most skilled guitar player ever. I have never seen anyone play as fast, hard, and clean all at the same time as he did.
  • Options
    Stevie's wife Lenny said Stevie played in his sleep. Stevie said he dreamt that Jimi Hendrix taught him secret chord changes and said he'd wake and couldn't remember the lessons. You gotta learn the hard parts yourself, Stevie said. lol. Check out Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble - Texas Flood, & Greatest Hits. Also there are a few great videos too. Have fun!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    his version of little wing is, musically, better than the original. that's saying something. that solo is incredible. no white man should be able to play the blues like that.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    Absolutely without a doubt my favorite guitarist. Definitely check him out. His Austin City Limits show is badass.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    THIS GUY IS AMAZING

If you like The Blues played with some balls to the wall electric guitar(ala jimmi) tham you will LOVE SRV.
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    SRV is a LEGEND! Especially in Austin. The city made a statue of him that sits by the river. :)

His music was amazing and even the GREATEST guitar players like Eric Clapton and B.B. King thought highly of him. They thought he was BETTER than they were! I mean, come on, you know when you are great when Eric Clapton and B.B. King say that you are the best! :D

definitely check Stevie out b/c once u hear his music, you'll be blown away. Oh and I also recommend getting David Bowie's "Let Dance" album b/c Stevie plays on it. ;)
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    ThunderclapThunderclap Lexington, KY Posts: 108
    MeddleDeal wrote:
    Oh and I also recommend getting David Bowie's "Let Dance" album b/c Stevie plays on it. ;)

I forgot all about that. I remember hearing that back in the 80's. Man I'm old.
    TEACHER SEEKS PUPIL
    Must have an earnest desire to save the world
    Apply in person
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Came across this on YouTube today. Thought I would revive a thread
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZoX6Q0UK8A
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    His brother is insanely good, too. (Jimmie Vaughn) 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1