Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    rgambs said:
    I ate a half a pan of brownies last night, so I'm going to try to work hard and eat little today.

"Something inspirational"-
    Me
    I had Chinese food last night and ipa s. Ugh. 
    Just did a really nice leg workout at home. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    What's the point of life if you can't enjoy food?

I'm having a big bowl of fresh fruit (which I love - no hardship here) and a pain au chocolat from one of my favourite bakeries for breakfast. In a couple of hours I'll go for a bike ride that will probably end up being about three hours in total. The sun is shining so it's a good day. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I'm having a big bowl of fresh fruit (which I love - no hardship here) and a pain au chocolat from one of my favourite bakeries for breakfast. In a couple of hours I'll go for a bike ride that will probably end up being about three hours in total. The sun is shining so it's a good day. 
    Very very good point about the food. Three hour bike ride sounds awesome. Pavement or trails?
    mcgruff10 said:

Very very good point about the food. Three hour bike ride sounds awesome. Pavement or trails?

A mixture of both. I am lucky enough to live in a place that is very cycle friendly. We have an extensive network of off road trails, some paved and some dirt, and many streets with dedicated bike lanes. 
    mcgruff10 said:

A mixture of both. I am lucky enough to live in a place that is very cycle friendly. We have an extensive network of off road trails, some paved and some dirt, and many streets with dedicated bike lanes. 
    That is great. You think you ll do around 25-30 miles? Are you in Vancouver?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I would never give up the foods I love! 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Victoria. 

Satudrday morning is my purely recreational ride. Today is a ride with purpose; I have a bunch of errands to do and will finish up at the hospital to visit my mom before coming home. I am not completely car-free, but am as car-light as I can be, so I do a lot of my day to day stuff by bike. I have no idea how far I’ll ride. 

mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Victoria. 

Satudrday morning is my purely recreational ride. Today is a ride with purpose; I have a bunch of errands to do and will finish up at the hospital to visit my mom before coming home. I am not completely car-free, but am as car-light as I can be, so I do a lot of my day to day stuff by bike. I have no idea how far I’ll ride. 

I absolutely love victoria!  lucky you for living there.  I was there many many moons ago.  is the sticky widget pub still around?  (god I drank waaaay too many beers there lol)
    Sticky Wicket ;). It’s a cricket term. And yes, still here. 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,212
    Yeah, I could do without the ones always posing and flexing. I don't mind actually watching a video of someone doing a good lift. And, yeah, I've posted a couple of vids of me lifting, but nothing in a long time. I just don't care enough to bother someone to record the lift.

My husband took video of himself at the gym this morning -- leg press, tire flipping, etc. Apparently, this is for some video they are putting together of management at work, and he thought it would be funny to have his clip focus on "doing the heavy lifting."

I swear I saw a guy at the gym kissing his biceps while he was doing curls the other day.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Ok so watching pinkpop 92 while on the elliptical = look the fuck out! :rock_on: and it's not easy to find a groove :lol: I was all over the place!  damn these guys are in shape! How the hell do they do it? I have nothing else to say except I burned more calories than normal and my lungs are getting stronger. 

Curm - am I supposed to breathe thru my nose and out my mouth when running? Is that true? I'm a total mouth breather but feel I have more control over my breathing. I'm not really running but I feel like I'm cruising along. 
    Um... I don't know. I tried to think about this while running today. I think that when I am maintaining a comfortable pace, I do indeed breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. When racing or doing speed work, it's whatever keeps me from passing out, LOL.

If I am running outside in cold weather (something I no longer have to do! Woot!) I try to breathe in through my nose so I don't irritate my throat.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    I bought myself a new Garmin for my birthday, and I love it! My old watch was a Polar trainer, 8.5 years old, and, wow, has technology come a long way in that time. The GPS seems to be quite accurate (this was a big complaint of mine about the Fitbit I tried), the face is easy to read (important at my age), and, wow, I am faster and in better shape than I thought I was. I really don't know anything about VO2 Max, so I felt bad when the watch said mine is 49%. Then I looked up what the numbers actually mean, LOL, and I felt a lot better.

This is a great example of how far I have come in two years: I ran 13.7 miles this morning, steady pace, not pushing it. My time for the first 13.1 was just over 1:55. Two years ago, I ran -- raced -- a half-marathon, and my time was just over 1:57. My "easy run" pace is over a minute faster than it was two years ago. Al those miles have paid off, I guess.

I ran a 15K last weekend, 7:52 pace -- something I never would have guessed I was capable of doing. So I'm feeling pretty good about my running right now.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    I am 11 days in on my diet.

No alcohol, no bread, no pasta so no carbs in general...

No fast food, no deep fried food...

This weekend I start a light workout to compliment my dieting to speed up the weight loss.

Goal is 190 living weight!
    Good luck!  Once you drop that initial portion and go back on carbs life will seem so much more full and enjoyable lol
    I did this last year and dropped 25lbs in two weeks.  It literally fell right off.  It took me a whole year of slacking off to gain it back, lol.
    Now to just keep it off...
    I am doing the same thing except lazier.  Dropped 45 lbs in spring 2013 and now working on losing the 20 lbs I have gained back. Loss 9lbs in 12 days thus far just limiting to 1000 calories.  Not healthy but efficient. No exercise as I would probably pass out!
    ^^^ I've been there!
    Lazy doesn't equal easy, that's for sure!  The cravings!
    I was able to run about 10 miles a week very slowly when I was on 1000 a day, but now I run 18 or so much faster and lift hard 10 hours a week so so just can't keep it that low anymore.  If I try, I crash and binge, which happens from time to time periodically anyways.  Junk food is so good.

• rgambs said:

This weekend I start a light workout to compliment my dieting to speed up the weight loss.

Good luck!  Once you drop that initial portion and go back on carbs life will seem so much more full and enjoyable lol
    I did this last year and dropped 25lbs in two weeks.  It literally fell right off.  It took me a whole year of slacking off to gain it back, lol.
    I am doing the same thing except lazier.  Dropped 45 lbs in spring 2013 and now working on losing the 20 lbs I have gained back. Loss 9lbs in 12 days thus far just limiting to 1000 calories.  Not healthy but efficient. No exercise as I would probably pass out!
    5lbs in 12 days so far.  Not as much as I wanted but its working.
    rgambs said:

5lbs in 12 days so far.  Not as much as I wanted but its working.
    2.5 lbs per day is excellent progress, any more than that and you will be cutting into your muscle more than you want.
    Sticky Wicket ;). It’s a cricket term. And yes, still here. 
    Aaah that s right. From what I remember you guys had some excellent cider!
    CrossFit games have been keeping me motivated on the treadmill
    rgambs said:
    Nice!  Yesterday I ran two miles outside and did a nice intense ab workout.   When I hit the gym today i'll be doing biceps/back and some sort of cardio.  A new diet also starts today with me.  I'm going to basically mimc tempo and ban all drinking and carbs for a few weeks.
    Remember, bathing suit weather is just around the corner!
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Nice!  Yesterday I ran two miles outside and did a nice intense ab workout.   When I hit the gym today i'll be doing biceps/back and some sort of cardio.  A new diet also starts today with me.  I'm going to basically mimc tempo and ban all drinking and carbs for a few weeks.
    Good work!
    I did 5 miles on treadmill, 2.25 miles, chest and triceps, then 2.75 miles.  10 minute mile pace.

Great lift, supersets on dips (parallel grips and bench dips) for 100 reps each and supersets on push-ups/cable crossovers 4 sets and push-ups/pec deck 4 sets done dropset style without breaks.
    Other stuff too of course, but that's the only interesting part.  

Been loving the JM press lately, it's a hybrid between close grip bench and skull crushers.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Had to look up JM press. Looks like that will destroy your triceps! Close grip bench is my main triceps exercise. Might have to switch it up and add this one.
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Good work!
    I did 5 miles on treadmill, 2.25 miles, chest and triceps, then 2.75 miles.  10 minute mile pace.

Great lift, supersets on dips (parallel grips and bench dips) for 100 reps each and supersets on push-ups/cable crossovers 4 sets and push-ups/pec deck 4 sets done dropset style without breaks.
    Other stuff too of course, but that's the only interesting part.  

Been loving the JM press lately, it's a hybrid between close grip bench and skull crushers.
    bro you are kicking some serious ass!  keep it up!
    by the way planks are killing my shoulders...time to give them up for awhile.
    Had to look up JM press. Looks like that will destroy your triceps! Close grip bench is my main triceps exercise. Might have to switch it up and add this one.
    I love it, skullcrushers never felt right always too much stress on the elbow and I never felt the tricep contract strongly, CG bench always felt too chesty.  

I tried CG bench over my face one day and it felt good and natural whether I went elbows tucked or wide, so I started doing it and then looked it up.  
    I do a ton of that sort of experimentation to find what feels best on my joints or has best mind-muscle connection.  I vary my grip/stance in each set with almost every lift.  
    I'm not an overhead barbell press guy, it hurts or feels like it could lead to hurt and I've read a bunch of articles about how it's irrelevant to muscle gains (every press movement uses anterior delts and they are less important aesthetically than lateral anyways) and functional strength building is there but can be achieved with less joint stress.
    I tried doing it with elbows in front, starting from a front squat type position and pressing straight up to lockout, and loved it.  Great tricep burn, and enough anterior delt activation to feel good.

Wonder what that's called?
    I love the interesting nature of biomechanics.
    I also use a thumbless grip on both presses and that limits the shoulder rotation.

Gotta be easy on your shoulders, they are a weakish joint and they get used with almost all lifts.
    I used to assist in shoulder surgeries and that's not something anybody wants!
    edited January 2018
    For CG bench, I bring the bar down lower on my torso than my chest, right at the bottom of the sternum. I find that takes a lot of the chest aspect out of it and lets me focus more on the triceps.

For shoulders, I really like the overhead press. I actually feel like I get more mind-muscle connection with that than any other shoulder exercise. I really feel it in the lateral delt locking out at the top. The variation you described with starting in a squat sounds like the push press. Gotta be careful not to ego lift with that one though. I've seen some people at my gym try to really overload it and I honestly don't know how they haven't injured themselves yet. I think they assume that the momentum driving up out of the squat means they don't have to worry about the stress on their shoulders.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
    For CG bench, I bring the bar down lower on my torso than my chest, right at the bottom of the sternum. I find that takes a lot of the chest aspect out of it and lets me focus more on the triceps.

For shoulders, I really like the overhead press. I actually feel like I get more mind-muscle connection with that than any other shoulder exercise. I really feel it in the lateral delt locking out at the top. The variation you described with starting in a squat sounds like the push press. Gotta be careful not to ego lift with that one though. I've seen some people at my gym try to really overload it and I honestly don't know how they haven't injured themselves yet. I think they assume that the momentum driving up out of the squat means they don't have to worry about the stress on their shoulders.
    I start from the push press position, but I lift it with modest weight, slow controlled reps as if I'm dumbell pressing. 

edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    I also use a thumbless grip on both presses and that limits the shoulder rotation.

Gotta be easy on your shoulders, they are a weakish joint and they get used with almost all lifts.
    Planks directly effect your shoulders?  Maybe my form sucks. (And I have two herniated discs so I have to be extra careful.) gambs, I also don’t do much of anything over my shoulder I.e. military press 
    did back and biceps at the gym today. 

Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

Planks directly your shoulders?  Maybe my form sucks. (And I have two herniated discs so I have to be extra careful.) games, I also don’t do much of anything over my shoulder I.e. military press 

If planks are hurting your shoulders, my guess would be that your shoulders are too forward. That or you retract them too much during the exercise.

I hate planks though. So high on the level of suckiness. :lol:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

Planks directly your shoulders?  Maybe my form sucks. (And I have two herniated discs so I have to be extra careful.) games, I also don’t do much of anything over my shoulder I.e. military press 

If planks are hurting your shoulders, my guess would be that your shoulders are too forward. That or you retract them too much during the exercise.

I hate planks though. So high on the level of suckiness. :lol:
    Thank you for the advice, I'll try to pay more attention to my shoulders.  And yes, planks suck. lol
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/nonstop-natural-gains-the-neuro-typing-system

It sounded dumb at first, but everything about type 2 matches me perfectly.