Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Nugent was novelty rock anyways.
    There's plenty of hard right conservative music in the country genre.
    They sing horrible songs that are simply intolerable.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    brianlux said:
    I have to admit I've always been a bit surprised that there are hard right leaning Pearl Jam fans, but then maybe the music has a broad enough appeal that the band members' obviously strong left-leaning personalities (which do often come out in the music) doen't matter as much to those fans. 

The people I am really puzzled about at times are those folks who are outspokenly right-wing and who by far mostly post on AMT and yet have little to say about the music itself.  I don't get that (and also don't see that happen as much as in the past).

I guess if I looked at it in reverse, if there was a band that was outwardly and strongly right wing (and face it, that's pretty small company) and yet I thought their music was outstanding, I might call myself a fan, but only a fan of the music.  I doubt I would have any interest in talking on-line about any aspect of that band other than their music. And if that band became increasing outspoken about an overall right wing agenda, I would lose interest pretty quickly.  For example, he may have done some decent work early on, but I have no Ted Nugent in my record collection nor any interest in doing so.
    although PJ (Eddie) write a lot of political songs, the majority are not.  The ones with universal themes (family, love, loss etc) tend to also be the most popular.  

Recently, I went on a Smashing Pumpkins nostalgia binge.  I listened to all the old albums (and some new) and I also watched a bunch of more recent Billy Corgan interviews.  Turns out the guy has been on Alex Jones several times and happens to be friends with him.  He seems to be a Trump supporter.  He also owns a wrestling league.  He's basically the musical poster boy for the alt-right.  But you know what? I've never admired the guy more.  His songs and musical expertise transcend politics.  I suppose righty PJ fans might look at Eddie the same way
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    one thing to note......I haven't heard one democrat complain about Ed's banter. If he was pro-Bush or pro-any republican, I'm pretty sure the complainers would be from a different side. 

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    Agreed.... I think. It's actually kind of hard to judge this, since I can't think of any politically vocal and popular band that is both really good and right wing. I mean, what would that even be like?? Can anyone think of any examples of this? And if this does exist, or if it did, wouldn't they be ranting and singing about shit like guns rights, pro-life, private healthcare, low taxes, and trickle down economics?? :lol: Yeah, I would definitely not be into a band like that!
    Are you joking or serious?
    when it comes to listening to the music I couldn't care less about the political stance of a band.
    i can't imagine not listening to my favorite music because of who they want to be president.
    now if it was something like human trafficking or something they were into, then yeah. But because we have a different opinion on oboerion? I'll write Pro Choice on your other arm for you if it gets me another encore.

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than guys with a differing opinion on oboerion.

It enrages me.

At least I think so?

riley540 said:
    one thing to note......I haven't heard one democrat complain about Ed's banter. If he was pro-Bush or pro-any republican, I'm pretty sure the complainers would be from a different side. 

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    for the life of me, i can't figure out why any lifetime republican would be interested in this band. from their lyrics, to their political and social stances. i wouldn't be able to separate that from the music. because half of it IS the music. 
    I've  never understood it either. This band is not shy about its political leaning and/or beliefs. They are clearly liberal,  pro-choice, anti-war, pro gay marriage, etc etc etc.

So the fact that there are people on here who claim to be fans of Pearl Jam yet also claim to be hard line republicans, or Christian Conservatives, racists, white supremacists, homophobes, etc 
    I just don't  understand  or believe that they are truly fans of Pearl Jam.
    Woah, 
    i have leaned right of center for most of my life and I think you have the wrong idea about most of us. The premise of being libertarian is that I just think the government should be minimally involved in our lives. I think people should do what they want. That’s how a lot of people on the right are. The news makes everyone on the right out to be racists, or Christians, ect ect ect. There is an extreme minority and you shouldn’t think they represent all of us. 

I just think the government really blows a lot of the time and as people we can find better solutions for problems. I always say progress starts in neighborhoods, not at the top. I’m not pro trump, I wasn’t pro Obama. I really think the government sucks and that’s my view. Which is a libertarian view, which is considered a right wing view. 
    Sorry I wasn't  trying  to denigrate everyone with "right" leanings. Just pointing the finger at the people who come on here and profess to be white supremacists or racists or homophobes or xenophobia or anti-semites.

And just to be clear I do not now nor have I ever supported any person  or artist who has a differing opinion about oboerion.
    Who has professed to be racist?
    And you think you can't be Christian and a Pearl Jam fan? That's one of the most absurd things I've heard.
    i don't see how different personal opinions would impact Joe I enjoy their music. It seems very narrow minded to me to think you can appreciate people who are different than you.
    I wouldn't listen to a band that has very outspoken political views that are different than mine for the same reason I don't listen to christian rock: I'm a lyrics guy, and I can't sing lyrics to songs that don't resonate with me personally. if that doesn't bother you, then there's nothing wrong with that. it would just bother me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    Agreed.... I think. It's actually kind of hard to judge this, since I can't think of any politically vocal and popular band that is both really good and right wing. I mean, what would that even be like?? Can anyone think of any examples of this? And if this does exist, or if it did, wouldn't they be ranting and singing about shit like guns rights, pro-life, private healthcare, low taxes, and trickle down economics?? :lol: Yeah, I would definitely not be into a band like that!
    when it comes to listening to the music I couldn't care less about the political stance of a band.
    i can't imagine not listening to my favorite music because of who they want to be president.
    now if it was something like human trafficking or something they were into, then yeah. But because we have a different opinion on oboerion? I'll write Pro Choice on your other arm for you if it gets me another encore.

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than guys with a differing opinion on oboerion.

It enrages me.

At least I think so?

riley540 said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    for the life of me, i can't figure out why any lifetime republican would be interested in this band. from their lyrics, to their political and social stances. i wouldn't be able to separate that from the music. because half of it IS the music. 
    I've  never understood it either. This band is not shy about its political leaning and/or beliefs. They are clearly liberal,  pro-choice, anti-war, pro gay marriage, etc etc etc.

So the fact that there are people on here who claim to be fans of Pearl Jam yet also claim to be hard line republicans, or Christian Conservatives, racists, white supremacists, homophobes, etc 
    Woah, 
    i have leaned right of center for most of my life and I think you have the wrong idea about most of us. The premise of being libertarian is that I just think the government should be minimally involved in our lives. I think people should do what they want. That’s how a lot of people on the right are. The news makes everyone on the right out to be racists, or Christians, ect ect ect. There is an extreme minority and you shouldn’t think they represent all of us. 

I just think the government really blows a lot of the time and as people we can find better solutions for problems. I always say progress starts in neighborhoods, not at the top. I’m not pro trump, I wasn’t pro Obama. I really think the government sucks and that’s my view. Which is a libertarian view, which is considered a right wing view. 
    Sorry I wasn't  trying  to denigrate everyone with "right" leanings. Just pointing the finger at the people who come on here and profess to be white supremacists or racists or homophobes or xenophobia or anti-semites.

And just to be clear I do not now nor have I ever supported any person  or artist who has a differing opinion about oboerion.
    And you think you can't be Christian and a Pearl Jam fan? That's one of the most absurd things I've heard.
    i don't see how different personal opinions would impact Joe I enjoy their music. It seems very narrow minded to me to think you can appreciate people who are different than you.
    I wouldn't listen to a band that has very outspoken political views that are different than mine for the same reason I don't listen to christian rock: I'm a lyrics guy, and I can't sing lyrics to songs that don't resonate with me personally. if that doesn't bother you, then there's nothing wrong with that. it would just bother me. 
    I don't listen to Christian rock because, well, they all suck.
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not wanting to listen to music from a different politically aligned band. 
    But you don;t have to agree with the point of view to appreciate lyrics. I like Bushleaguer, I think there;s some great lines in that song. I'm not a big fan of Bush (please, don;t take that line out of context!), but I don't hate/dislike him nearly as much as a lot of people do, especially the band. I can still appreciate the lyrics.
    And as some pointed out many, even most of their songs, especially early ones, aren't about specific left or right stances. Its about love, teen angst, anti-record company/celebrity etc. 
    Their political view is a total non-issue for me.
    mace1229 said:
    I'm not saying anyone is wrong for not wanting to listen to music from a different politically aligned band. 
    But you don;t have to agree with the point of view to appreciate lyrics. I like Bushleaguer, I think there;s some great lines in that song. I'm not a big fan of Bush (please, don;t take that line out of context!), but I don't hate/dislike him nearly as much as a lot of people do, especially the band. I can still appreciate the lyrics.
    And as some pointed out many, even most of their songs, especially early ones, aren't about specific left or right stances. Its about love, teen angst, anti-record company/celebrity etc. 
    Their political view is a total non-issue for me.
    if pearl jam spoke out in the same vein as ted nugent, I'd have a hard time listening to their music. again, if you can separate it, great. I can't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

It enrages me.

At least I think so?

riley540 said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Woah, 

What I said was "Christian Conservatives" who tend to be overwhelmingly pro-life while Pearl Jam is overwhelmingly "pro-choice" and openly support a womans right to choose what to do with her body.
    I for one would never support a band that is openly pro-life.

I am in support of oboerion

• Once a guy turns out to be some person who spews stuff I don't care for... I stop listening to them.

For example, Elvis Costello said. "I hate Led Zeppelin and everything the've spawned." Needle drags across the record and... no more listen to. Get serious, Elvis... they're infinitely greater than you.

Nugent is the same. "Swan dive to the street" (Dog Eat Dog) used to flow through many playlists on my Sony Sports Walkman as I worked out and really worked for me. I can't separate the man from the music now and his catalogue has been rendered useless to me.

I do like Ted's stance on crime and punishment though.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Once a guy turns out to be some person who spews stuff I don't care for... I stop listening to them.

For example, Elvis Costello said. "I hate Led Zeppelin and everything the've spawned." Needle drags across the record and... no more listen to. Get serious, Elvis... they're infinitely greater than you.

Nugent is the same. "Swan dive to the street" (Dog Eat Dog) used to flow through many playlists on my Sony Sports Walkman as I worked out and really worked for me. I can't separate the man from the music now and his catalogue has been rendered useless to me.

and water is wet. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Once a guy turns out to be some person who spews stuff I don't care for... I stop listening to them.

and water is wet. 

and quenches your thirst too! Necessary for life.
    Once a guy turns out to be some person who spews stuff I don't care for... I stop listening to them.

and water is wet. 

no, that's beer. B-E-E-R. beer. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and water is wet. 

lol

I stand corrected I do. I should go chug one right now!
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

and water is wet. 

I like Beer...B-E-E-R
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

and water is wet. 

lol

the two of you should mail me some good canadian ipa's that I can't get here in the states.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:
    I have to admit I've always been a bit surprised that there are hard right leaning Pearl Jam fans, but then maybe the music has a broad enough appeal that the band members' obviously strong left-leaning personalities (which do often come out in the music) doen't matter as much to those fans. 

The people I am really puzzled about at times are those folks who are outspokenly right-wing and who by far mostly post on AMT and yet have little to say about the music itself.  I don't get that (and also don't see that happen as much as in the past).

I guess if I looked at it in reverse, if there was a band that was outwardly and strongly right wing (and face it, that's pretty small company) and yet I thought their music was outstanding, I might call myself a fan, but only a fan of the music.  I doubt I would have any interest in talking on-line about any aspect of that band other than their music. And if that band became increasing outspoken about an overall right wing agenda, I would lose interest pretty quickly.  For example, he may have done some decent work early on, but I have no Ted Nugent in my record collection nor any interest in doing so.
    although PJ (Eddie) write a lot of political songs, the majority are not.  The ones with universal themes (family, love, loss etc) tend to also be the most popular.  

Recently, I went on a Smashing Pumpkins nostalgia binge.  I listened to all the old albums (and some new) and I also watched a bunch of more recent Billy Corgan interviews.  Turns out the guy has been on Alex Jones several times and happens to be friends with him.  He seems to be a Trump supporter.  He also owns a wrestling league.  He's basically the musical poster boy for the alt-right.  But you know what? I've never admired the guy more.  His songs and musical expertise transcend politics.  I suppose righty PJ fans might look at Eddie the same way
    Bolded part, beautiful.  And applies to many.

(sometimes, you gotta keep 'em separated!)
  • hedonist said:
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:

cue Offspring...
  • mcgruff10 said:

and water is wet. 

lol

the two of you should mail me some good canadian ipa's that I can't get here in the states.

Mmm Hmm

Yah sure.

Big, tough American guy thinking he can handle the Canadian IPAs. We would never do this to you, Scruffy. We might send you a bottle cap so you can develop your fortitude before actually taking the plunge.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    mcgruff10 said:

and water is wet. 

lol

Mmm Hmm

Yah sure.

Big, tough American guy thinking he can handle the Canadian IPAs. We would never do this to you, Scruffy. We might send you a bottle cap so you can develop your fortitude before actually taking the plunge.
    We don’t want your shithole beer down here! Can’t we get some beer from Germany?

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    vaggar99 said:
    brianlux said:

cue Offspring...
    Been in me head since I posted that =)
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

and water is wet. 

lol

Mmm Hmm

Yah sure.

You probably only drink labatt blue and moosehead eh?  I know you can't handle ipa's.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Joking about what? Why in the hell would I want to listen to a political band that focuses on right wing politics? Why would that interest me?
    But my real point is that it's a moot point, since I know of no good bands who are politically involved who are right wing. None. That is why I actually have no idea what that would be like.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2018
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hetfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hatfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    if he sang about gun rights and the second amendment and how obama was coming to take your guns and spoke to live crowds about the evils of democrats not wanting to protect society, yes, I would not go to their shows or buy their records. 

I'm sure there are artists whose political views I don't agree with. But that doesn't matter to me if it's not in the content of the songs or the live show. it's not a choice based on principle. just the words I can identify with. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Joking about what? Why in the hell would I want to listen to a political band that focuses on right wing politics? Why would that interest me?
    But my real point is that it's a moot point, since I know of no good bands who are politically involved who are right wing. None. That is why I actually have no idea what that would be like.
    I thought you meant you wouldn't listen to a right wing band, even if it was unrelated to their music. Like if you found out Foo FIghters (or whoever) plans to vote republican you'd throw out all their old albums with music that had nothing to do with politics.
    I guess in my mind their politics is more evident in their actions than music, but I guess that is only true for the first half of their career.
    Ten, Vs, Vit, NC, Yield, many of my favorite songs on those albums don't have a lot to do with politics. Which is probably why they have such a range of fans. Riot Act and on is more political, but if their career started at RA I'd still like their music, but they wouldn't be my favorite band.

There are a good amount of conservative and/or christian artists, they just aren't known for combining their personal beliefs into their music, and are not politically involved like you said. Probably because Christian music sucks and they don't want that label attached.
    Although it wouldn't bother me (I love Glorified G, but I own guns), I could understand see not wanting to listen to music that is about things you don't agree with. I wouldn't understand not listening to a band because of their political belief if it was unrelated to their music though. That would be like burning Cat Stevens albums because he converted to Islam.
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

I thought you meant you wouldn't listen to a right wing band, even if it was unrelated to their music. Like if you found out Foo FIghters (or whoever) plans to vote republican you'd throw out all their old albums with music that had nothing to do with politics.
    I guess in my mind their politics is more evident in their actions than music, but I guess that is only true for the first half of their career.
    Ten, Vs, Vit, NC, Yield, many of my favorite songs on those albums don't have a lot to do with politics. Which is probably why they have such a range of fans. Riot Act and on is more political, but if their career started at RA I'd still like their music, but they wouldn't be my favorite band.

There are a good amount of conservative and/or christian artists, they just aren't known for combining their personal beliefs into their music, and are not politically involved like you said. Probably because Christian music sucks and they don't want that label attached.
    Although it wouldn't bother me (I love Glorified G, but I own guns), I could understand see not wanting to listen to music that is about things you don't agree with. I wouldn't understand not listening to a band because of their political belief if it was unrelated to their music though. That would be like burning Cat Stevens albums because he converted to Islam.
    No, that's why I specifically said "political band".
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    PJPOWER said:
    Any Metallica fans around here?  Any anti-gun people?  James Hetfield is a pretty hardcore hunter and member of the NRA...you should probably never listen to them again.
    If he shoots lions and elephants with an assault rifle then he's a doucher. If he hunts deer with a 260 Remington then I have no problem with it.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    Can't say I've ever been to a Metallica show, or purchased one of their albums. I did see them at a festival once though, can't remember any political rants the NRA....or much chatter at all. They were good. Is Metallica the band outwardly political (conservative) in their songs, shows and other media? I really don't know.

Fact is, if I choose to be picky about which artists I support based on politics, I have many options. Conservatives do not.
    edited January 2018
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Can't say I've ever been to a Metallica show, or purchased one of their albums. I did see them at a festival once though, can't remember any political rants the NRA....or much chatter at all. They were good. Is Metallica the band outwardly political (conservative) in their songs, shows and other media? I really don't know.

Fact is, if I choose to be picky about which artists I support based on politics, I have many options. Conservatives do not.
    Very true. Things are not equal as far as this conversation goes given the demographics of artists. The vast majority of them are liberals. I know there are exceptions, and of course there are going to be more right wing country artists and shit, and possibly more among heavy metal artists (it does seem that way), but by and large it is obviously true that most artists, musicians and otherwise, are liberal.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2018
    eddiec said:
    PJPOWER said:
    If he shoots lions and elephants with an assault rifle then he's a doucher. If he hunts deer with a 260 Remington then I have no problem with it.
    I don’t know of anyone that shoots lions or elephants with an “assault rifle”, although Heyfield does hunt Bears with a regular old non-assault rifle.  He has always been an outspoken supporter of hunting and the NRA, but the band itself does not seem to involve themselves in politics.  Just curious where people draw the line.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    edited January 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    eddiec said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I don’t know of anyone that shoots lions or elephants with an “assault rifle”, although Hatfield does hunt Bears with a regular old non-assault rifle.  He has always been an outspoken supporter of hunting and the NRA, but the band itself does not seem to involve themselves in politics.  Just curious where people draw the line.
    I only listen to vegan bands that make their own clothes from recycled fabrics and live in straw  bail homes with solar panels. 
    Post edited by Go Beavers on