Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    one thing to note......I haven't heard one democrat complain about Ed's banter. If he was pro-Bush or pro-any republican, I'm pretty sure the complainers would be from a different side. 
    Solid point Hugh. And unfortunately you have a hell of a lot of "blind" followers of Eddie.
    I'm not a blind follower of anything... and if Eddie were pro-Bush or republican I don't think the band would even exist, let alone have a huge liberal fan base, so it's a moot point, not a solid one.
    So your saying their success is tied to their liberal political views?  You think if they were republican they wouldn't be the band they are today? 
    Well yeah. I mean, I really said I believe that their success is tied to Eddie's liberal political views, because the rest of the band is also liberal, and I definitely don't think they would have gone along the same path if Eddie wasn't liberal as well. But let's say they were all republican.... there is no way they would have found that success or gone down the same road at all because all their music would have been way different, their vibe would have been way different. I think their fate was built on a very thin and perfect platform, and it could have easily toppled one way or the other if things hadn't gone precisely the way they did ... Think of it in terms of the butterfly effect. Do you really think Ten would have been Ten if all the stars hadn't aligned they way they did and the band didn't have the core beliefs that they happen to have? I don't. And without Ten being Ten, the band would have likely faded into obscurity before it ever got off the ground, if they even found each other in the first place, which they probably wouldn't have. Besides, what massive 90s Seattle grunge bands do you know with a massive rise to fame and huge fan base who were led by Republicans? Lol. It wouldn't have worked. The whole Seattle sound wave was a liberal thing, or anti-establishment, don't you think?
    I didn't think it was liberal. I didn't think it was political at all to begin with. it was anti-establishment, disaffected youth. but that's not the same. punk rock can be left or right. 

kurt cobain owned a lot of guns and beat his wife. that ain't liberal in my mind. 
    He beat his wife?
    Never heard that one.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    dignin said:
    one thing to note......I haven't heard one democrat complain about Ed's banter. If he was pro-Bush or pro-any republican, I'm pretty sure the complainers would be from a different side. 
    Nah. If the band were not progressive I probably wouldn't be going to their shows because I probably wouldn't like the band that much. My love of PJ is very much tied to their activism.

Simple fact is the art world tends to be progressive, that means I can be more picky than a conservative when it comes to what I can choose to enjoy. Conservatives don't have much to pick from so they have to settle...or listen to garbage like Ted Nugent and Toby Keith. 
    No doubt ^^^^^
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Solid point Hugh. And unfortunately you have a hell of a lot of "blind" followers of Eddie.
    I'm not a blind follower of anything... and if Eddie were pro-Bush or republican I don't think the band would even exist, let alone have a huge liberal fan base, so it's a moot point, not a solid one.
    So your saying their success is tied to their liberal political views?  You think if they were republican they wouldn't be the band they are today? 
    Well yeah. I mean, I really said I believe that their success is tied to Eddie's liberal political views, because the rest of the band is also liberal, and I definitely don't think they would have gone along the same path if Eddie wasn't liberal as well. But let's say they were all republican.... there is no way they would have found that success or gone down the same road at all because all their music would have been way different, their vibe would have been way different. I think their fate was built on a very thin and perfect platform, and it could have easily toppled one way or the other if things hadn't gone precisely the way they did ... Think of it in terms of the butterfly effect. Do you really think Ten would have been Ten if all the stars hadn't aligned they way they did and the band didn't have the core beliefs that they happen to have? I don't. And without Ten being Ten, the band would have likely faded into obscurity before it ever got off the ground, if they even found each other in the first place, which they probably wouldn't have. Besides, what massive 90s Seattle grunge bands do you know with a massive rise to fame and huge fan base who were led by Republicans? Lol. It wouldn't have worked. The whole Seattle sound wave was a liberal thing, or anti-establishment, don't you think?
    I didn't think it was liberal. I didn't think it was political at all to begin with. it was anti-establishment, disaffected youth. but that's not the same. punk rock can be left or right. 

kurt cobain owned a lot of guns and beat his wife. that ain't liberal in my mind. 
    He beat his wife?
    Never heard that one.
    I guess that was a tad incorrect. Courtney called the cops on him for a domestic assault but then recanted later. so it was never proven, but many people believe they a mutually physical relationship. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    Well yeah, anti-establishment, but we all know they were liberal as hell, and I don't underestimate the influence of your leanings in this context in your art, whether the actual subject matter of the art is political or not. IMO. Ten wouldn't have been Ten if anything as major as political beliefs had been different with the band or Eddie IMO, and their actions and how they did business (or refused to) would be totally different too, probably. I mean... you can't be a Republican and also set your ideals as a band/business in line with Fugazi, which Eddie was into back then, you know what I mean? 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well yeah, anti-establishment, but we all know they were liberal as hell, and I don't underestimate the influence of your leanings in this context in your art, whether the actual subject matter of the art is political or not. IMO. Ten wouldn't have been Ten if anything as major as political beliefs had been different with the band or Eddie IMO, and their actions and how they did business (or refused to) would be totally different too, probably. I mean... you can't be a Republican and also set your ideals as a band/business in line with Fugazi, which Eddie was into back then, you know what I mean? 
    Early on, I might have assumed Pearl Jam were left leaning but I honestly don't see anything about Ten that would indicate that anymore than Ted Nugent's first (self-titled) album.  In fact, had Nugent's first couple of albums come out in the late 80's to early 90's, I would not have been surprised in the least some of the guys in Pearl Jam had been fans.  Henry Rollins was a big Nuge fan years ago.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Early on, I might have assumed Pearl Jam were left leaning but I honestly don't see anything about Ten that would indicate that anymore than Ted Nugent's first (self-titled) album.  In fact, had Nugent's first couple of albums come out in the late 80's to early 90's, I would not have been surprised in the least some of the guys in Pearl Jam had been fans.  Henry Rollins was a big Nuge fan years ago.
    Again, I'm not talking about the actual music on Ten. I'm talking what influenced it and its very existence, not the literal content. But yeah, even back then we all knew that the band was left leaning. Anyone who says that wasn't obvious in all kinds of definable and/or indefinable ways is kidding themselves.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Again, I'm not talking about the actual music on Ten. I'm talking what influenced it and its very existence, not the literal content. But yeah, even back then we all knew that the band was left leaning. Anyone who says that wasn't obvious in all kinds of definable and/or indefinable ways is kidding themselves.
    It was pretty easy to figure out that they leaned left  after ed wrote "pro choice" on his arm during MTV unplugged.  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    edited January 2018

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    Agreed.... I think. It's actually kind of hard to judge this, since I can't think of any politically vocal and popular band that is both really good and right wing. I mean, what would that even be like?? Can anyone think of any examples of this? And if this does exist, or if it did, wouldn't they be ranting and singing about shit like guns rights, pro-life, private healthcare, low taxes, and trickle down economics?? :lol: Yeah, I would definitely not be into a band like that!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    I knew the Lemon Song was about trickle down economics!
    i'm sure many bands, or individual band members, vote right, or have. they most likely just aren't as vocal about it as hardline democratic musicians. how do we even know that none of the band members have ever voted red? i'm guessing ed never has, but any of the others? is it so inconceivable? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    i'm sure many bands, or individual band members, vote right, or have. they most likely just aren't as vocal about it as hardline democratic musicians. how do we even know that none of the band members have ever voted red? i'm guessing ed never has, but any of the others? is it so inconceivable? 
    Maybe not when the Republican party was sane, but it's inconceivable now IMO.
    yes, that's kind of what i mean. weren't most of the band in their late 20's when ten came out? that's a full decade of voting. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

yes, that's kind of what i mean. weren't most of the band in their late 20's when ten came out? that's a full decade of voting. 
    Yeah.... I'd still be surprised, but you never know.... I mean, Dave Abbruzzese would be the mostly likely Republican, and look what happened to him. :lol:
    he was actually the first one that came to mind. also mike. i mean, he's the one guy in the entire group who we don't hear too much from in regards to politics. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    for the life of me, i can't figure out why any lifetime republican would be interested in this band. from their lyrics, to their political and social stances. i wouldn't be able to separate that from the music. because half of it IS the music. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

he was actually the first one that came to mind. also mike. i mean, he's the one guy in the entire group who we don't hear too much from in regards to politics. 
    I remember Mike saying in an interview that there was a period he wasn’t playing in a band and turned republican or almost turned republican, something close to that. Like he wasn’t sure what the hell he was going to do. 
    I remember Mike saying in an interview that there was a period he wasn’t playing in a band and turned republican or almost turned republican, something close to that. Like he wasn’t sure what the hell he was going to do. 
    And it means he's not a Republican. He also did that whole healthcare should be for everyone no matter what promo video thingy. That's definitely not a Republican viewpoint.
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    And it means he's not a Republican. He also did that whole healthcare should be for everyone no matter what promo video thingy. That's definitely not a Republican viewpoint.
    Oh I know he’s nowhere near a republican. I was just trying to think of any republican reference from the band. It was definately in the context of Mike feeling like he was lost at that point in time. 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    for the life of me, i can't figure out why any lifetime republican would be interested in this band. from their lyrics, to their political and social stances. i wouldn't be able to separate that from the music. because half of it IS the music. 
    I've  never understood it either. This band is not shy about its political leaning and/or beliefs. They are clearly liberal,  pro-choice, anti-war, pro gay marriage, etc etc etc.

So the fact that there are people on here who claim to be fans of Pearl Jam yet also claim to be hard line republicans, or Christian Conservatives, racists, white supremacists, homophobes, etc 
    I just don't  understand  or believe that they are truly fans of Pearl Jam.
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    I've  never understood it either. This band is not shy about its political leaning and/or beliefs. They are clearly liberal,  pro-choice, anti-war, pro gay marriage, etc etc etc.

So the fact that there are people on here who claim to be fans of Pearl Jam yet also claim to be hard line republicans, or Christian Conservatives, racists, white supremacists, homophobes, etc 
    Woah, 
    i have leaned right of center for most of my life and I think you have the wrong idea about most of us. The premise of being libertarian is that I just think the government should be minimally involved in our lives. I think people should do what they want. That’s how a lot of people on the right are. The news makes everyone on the right out to be racists, or Christians, ect ect ect. There is an extreme minority and you shouldn’t think they represent all of us. 

I just think the government really blows a lot of the time and as people we can find better solutions for problems. I always say progress starts in neighborhoods, not at the top. I’m not pro trump, I wasn’t pro Obama. I really think the government sucks and that’s my view. Which is a libertarian view, which is considered a right wing view. 
  • riley540 said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Woah, 
    i have leaned right of center for most of my life and I think you have the wrong idea about most of us. The premise of being libertarian is that I just think the government should be minimally involved in our lives. I think people should do what they want. That’s how a lot of people on the right are. The news makes everyone on the right out to be racists, or Christians, ect ect ect. There is an extreme minority and you shouldn’t think they represent all of us. 

I just think the government really blows a lot of the time and as people we can find better solutions for problems. I always say progress starts in neighborhoods, not at the top. I’m not pro trump, I wasn’t pro Obama. I really think the government sucks and that’s my view. Which is a libertarian view, which is considered a right wing view. 

You've never come across as a dickhead. I'm not so sure that post was aimed at you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, it's true, there were clues...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    Agreed.... I think. It's actually kind of hard to judge this, since I can't think of any politically vocal and popular band that is both really good and right wing. I mean, what would that even be like?? Can anyone think of any examples of this? And if this does exist, or if it did, wouldn't they be ranting and singing about shit like guns rights, pro-life, private healthcare, low taxes, and trickle down economics?? :lol: Yeah, I would definitely not be into a band like that!
    Are you joking or serious?
    when it comes to listening to the music I couldn't care less about the political stance of a band.
    i can't imagine not listening to my favorite music because of who they want to be president.
    now if it was something like human trafficking or something they were into, then yeah. But because we have a different opinion on oboerion? I'll write Pro Choice on your other arm for you if it gets me another encore.

• mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 
    when it comes to listening to the music I couldn't care less about the political stance of a band.
    i can't imagine not listening to my favorite music because of who they want to be president.
    now if it was something like human trafficking or something they were into, then yeah. But because we have a different opinion on oboerion? I'll write Pro Choice on your other arm for you if it gets me another encore.

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than guys with a differing opinion on oboerion.

It enrages me.

At least I think so?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Nothing gets my blood boiling more than guys with a differing opinion on oboerion.

It enrages me.

At least I think so?

riley540 said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Woah, 

Sorry I wasn't  trying  to denigrate everyone with "right" leanings. Just pointing the finger at the people who come on here and profess to be white supremacists or racists or homophobes or xenophobia or anti-semites.

And just to be clear I do not now nor have I ever supported any person  or artist who has a differing opinion about oboerion.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
    I'm OK with oboerions in the key of B♭, but anything else?  Fugedaboudit!

It all goes downhill when someone brings up oboerions. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

It enrages me.

At least I think so?

riley540 said:

Dems wouldn't be there. 

Woah, 

Sorry I wasn't  trying  to denigrate everyone with "right" leanings. Just pointing the finger at the people who come on here and profess to be white supremacists or racists or homophobes or xenophobia or anti-semites.

And just to be clear I do not now nor have I ever supported any person  or artist who has a differing opinion about oboerion.
    Who has professed to be racist?
    And you think you can't be Christian and a Pearl Jam fan? That's one of the most absurd things I've heard.
    i don't see how different personal opinions would impact Joe I enjoy their music. It seems very narrow minded to me to think you can appreciate people who are different than you.
    I have to admit I've always been a bit surprised that there are hard right leaning Pearl Jam fans, but then maybe the music has a broad enough appeal that the band members' obviously strong left-leaning personalities (which do often come out in the music) doen't matter as much to those fans. 

The people I am really puzzled about at times are those folks who are outspokenly right-wing and who by far mostly post on AMT and yet have little to say about the music itself.  I don't get that (and also don't see that happen as much as in the past).

I guess if I looked at it in reverse, if there was a band that was outwardly and strongly right wing (and face it, that's pretty small company) and yet I thought their music was outstanding, I might call myself a fan, but only a fan of the music.  I doubt I would have any interest in talking on-line about any aspect of that band other than their music. And if that band became increasing outspoken about an overall right wing agenda, I would lose interest pretty quickly.  For example, he may have done some decent work early on, but I have no Ted Nugent in my record collection nor any interest in doing so.