Vinyl box for $800?

So I noticed a vinyl set box with i think all studio albums on ebay for $800.  Seller says he opened it to take photo of certificate.  I don't get why the cost would be $800 - or why he thinks thats a good market price for it.  Can't i just buy 9 or 10 albums for $20-$30 a piece in second hand stores or even via tenclub website?
Thanks
Chris
Tagged:

Comments

• jpdannabellejpdannabelle T. Posts: 831
    edited January 2018
    I’m assuming it’s the set they were selling on Ten Club that was a limited edition with the storage box.  I’ve seen them go for well over $1000 on ebay so it’s not a bad price if you need the limited set with the box. The box alone was selling for $2-300 alone for some reason. But you’re right you could probably buy all ten albums (reissues of course) for less than $300. Post the link and I’ll let you know. 
    Post edited by jpdannabelle on
    ...........and Evelyn 

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PM the link. Can't post eBay links. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    What's that old saying about a fool and his money?
  • hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    What's that old saying about a fool and his money?
    Something about lining up for hours or freaking out over PJ Merch. 
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Why anybody pays hundreds for a box is totally beyond me... just buy the damn albums for $15-30 each, they are the SAME EXACT pressings 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    He probably thinks that's what they are worth since some sold for double that before they shipped. Then they arrived and everyone realized it was exactly as described and nothing special. Seen them offered for about $450 or less since.
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    You can ask any price you want. Doesn't mean you'll get it.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I'm probably the only one here who didn't know this (or the first one so old I forgot it) but I was just reading that all of the original 90's Pearl Jam LP master tapes were destroyed.  WTF?  Is it true? How could that happen???  What does that tell us about vinyl re-issues?  Holy crap and mama mia!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

RP112579 said:
    You can ask any price you want. Doesn't mean you'll get it.
    Yup.
    brianlux said:
    I'm probably the only one here who didn't know this (or the first one so old I forgot it) but I was just reading that all of the original 90's Pearl Jam LP master tapes were destroyed.  WTF?  Is it true? How could that happen???  What does that tell us about vinyl re-issues?  Holy crap and mama mia!
    I don't know if I heard they all were destroyed/lost.
    I know there is speculation Who You Are was lost, thus the reason for the lyric change in the reissues/RVM. I didn;t know they were all supposedly lost.
    Didnt PJ sue Rick Parasher for the original 10 or tapes or something?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I have never heard the masters were destroyed except in the form of rumours like Brian's post, haha. If that is true, how in the fuck would that happen? I would really need the band to acknowledge this before I actually believed it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    I know there is speculation Who You Are was lost, thus the reason for the lyric change in the reissues/RVM. I didn;t know they were all supposedly lost.
    Wasn't the Rick Parasher thing about TOTD? And Chris got them back kind of recently?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Wasn't the Rick Parasher thing about TOTD? And Chris got them back kind of recently?
    Yeah, that's what it was. You're right.
    I think about a year ago or less maybe.
  • juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    brianlux said:
    Tape does go bad after so long, lots of albums recorded on tape from the 70s & 80s can’t be used due to bad parts of the original recordings so hopefully this is not the case, if so grab all the first press albums you can!!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I thought this was a Jeapordy thread