Why did they boo Eddie?

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EguwlTSzc80

I thought the majority of PJ fans are democrats?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I seen the band get booed and i thought man this is just the cycle process but then i felt like crying cause of the position they were in as young men
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Shit gets old, play music.
  • unsung said:
    Shit gets old, play music.
    When you don't want to hear it, eh?

I like when a band has principles and asserts them. I loved when Waters slammed Trump. So did everyone else except for the few Cletuses that 'were offended' lol.

In answer to the question: there were some people at the show that loved their war-mongering fraud of a president. And when the band played this song as a tribute which mocked him... they didn't like that. They were likely also bitter that the band doesn't have a lot of songs praising Jesus which made them additionally mad. Some had just found out that Glorified G wasn't a song about Jesus and having a relationship with him... they were really steamed (especially when they found out what the song was really about).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2018
    that was one of the greatest show I had ever witnessed until that song.  Wow did that turn ugly real fast!

They booed the band because a lot of people liked W, supported the war on terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan and thought the song was way too political (I mean ground zero is only around 30 miles away).  Looking back at it they should have just launched into the next song instead of letting Ed go off on a tangent.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617

awesome stuff! when was that?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    that was one of the greatest show I had ever witnessed until that song.  Wow did that turn ugly real fast!

They booed the band because a lot of people liked W, supported the war on terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan and thought the song was way too political (I mean ground zero is only around 30 miles away).  Looking back at it they should have just launched into the next song instead of letting Ed go off on a tangent.  

So hold on a second...

... my explanation was no good?

(It would have been wild to be there).
    mcgruff10 said:

So hold on a second...

Your explanation was good, I just lowered the sarcasm a tad lol.
    Dude the show was insane!  I was somewhere in the first 5 or 6 rows on the floor and it got ugly quick.  I'd say about half the crowd was really really pissed.  It could have been more but we are talking about a show that  is now 15 years old and my memory about pj shows tends to get fuzzy after a while.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

about as accurate as all Aussies drink Fosters.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So hold on a second...

Your explanation was good, I just lowered the sarcasm a tad lol.
    Dude the show was insane!  I was somewhere in the first 5 or 6 rows on the floor and it got ugly quick.  I'd say about half the crowd was really really pissed.  It could have been more but we are talking about a show that  is now 15 years old and my memory about pj shows tends to get fuzzy after a while.  

Lol

Thanks, buddy! I need a few around here to help me with my crappy deliveries (my message tends to get lost).
    JC29856 said:

uniondale '03.  (Nassau coliseum)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

This just perfectly illustrates the mass hysteria and delusions that surrounded that event and the months afterwards.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:

when you say it turned ugly you mean, like fights broke out or throwing things at the band?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    mcgruff10 said:

You touch on part of the problem. People were duped into thinking the war in Iraq had something to do with terrorism. 
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited January 2018
    That was a very strange time in America (not as strange as right now, but still...).

9/11 was still very fresh in our minds and George W. Bush was still in his post-9/11 honeymoon.  This was during a period of about 18 months where he was not only very popular (near 90% for a while), but even a little bit of criticism of him was not tolerated, even once it became clear he was riding the wave where he took it (to Iraq).  We were starting over on the whole "protest is patriotic" issue that had made America great.

And this was near NYC, which obviously had the most direct connection to 9/11.  There was this odd undercurrent that not loving W was somehow unpatriotic and even lacked sympathy for 9/11 victims.  

It wasn't much after this clip that W's post-9/11 honeymoon ended and he sort of became just another polarizing president.  The outrage over criticism toward him subsided.  Heck, I don't remember boos at the Boston 1 show later that summer (early July; not sure exactly when this show was).  

The band was on the right side of history. I don't mean on any particular issue (though I think that, too) but regarding the basic freedom to criticize a person in power and the danger of blindly worshiping them.
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    The upcoming shows will be interesting.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I think a lot of people booed him because a lot of people are reactionary and rather goddamn stupid.  History will show Ed was 100% correct.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited January 2018
    brianlux said:
    I think a lot of people booed him because a lot of people are reactionary and rather goddamn stupid.  History will show Ed was 100% correct.
    This statement is almost 100% correct.

If you take out 'rather'... you nailed it!

(Scruffy taught me today that we need to help each other out to successfully deliver the messages we intend to send... so I'm just doing my part!).
    brianlux said:
    This statement is almost 100% correct.

If you take out 'rather'... you nailed it!

(Scruffy taught me today that we need to help each other out to successfully deliver the messages we intend to send... so I'm just doing my part!).
    Thank Scruffy for me!  :smiley:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Hasn't history already proven Ed correct?
    You think Ed talked about "having a voice in how the US is represented" while vacationing in Hawaii? 
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    You think Ed talked about "having a voice in how the US is represented" while vacationing in Hawaii? 
    Donald Trump is president so I'd say, no, history hasn't proved shit to America... yet.  It will.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I remember reading an article about this in the paper when it happened. It was so over exagerated, they described Eddie as placing the mask on the mike stand as if he was placing W's head on a pike. When it looks like he just got tired of holding it. They interviewed/asked Ed about fans leaving and asked if he was surprised fans left over a political display. I thought his answer was hilarious, he said "Yes, people usually leave because our music sucks, not over politics" or something close to that.
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    Donald Trump is president so I'd say, no, history hasn't proved shit to America... yet.  It will.
    I was referring to the invasion of Iraq based on lies! Ed was pretty vocal about Shock and Awe being total BS.
    Good thing those middle east wars ended in Jan 2009.
    The good thing is now we may get some good material!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    What I really appreciated is that they didn't back down from playing this song again on the tour after this show, so I was lucky enough to get it in St. Paul that July. I don't recall the reaction, but I loved it. Fuck Bush then and fuck him now in his new honeymoon stage. People were so delusional to think that this song had anything to do with patriotism and supporting your country. It's as stupid as the kneeling during the anthem bullshit we have seen recently.

What was even more awesome were the 2 songs that followed this to close the show. Best ever Know Your Rights and RITFW. Wish I could have been there. The USA chants, Mike's guitar and then Ed's mic slam.

https://youtu.be/cQW2PPO0pPI
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    They booed Eddie because U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! ... A lot of Americans aren't clear on what patriotism really is.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I skipped that tour
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:

when you say it turned ugly you mean, like fights broke out or throwing things at the band?
    The crowd turned on him real quick.  People were screaming "fuck you" and giving him the finger.  It got really tense in my section; it felt like a fight could break out in any moment.  The walk out was interesting too, people yelling how Ed was a douche, he should stick to music and just play rock n roll, people paid for music not politics...others defended him.  It was a really decisive moment for the band and the country.

This 2003 tour was definitely crazy; the most upset I ever was at a pearl jam show was at Hershey not at Uniondale.  Ed said some pretty fucked up shit that night.
    edited January 2018

PJ_Soul said:
    They booed Eddie because U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A! ... A lot of Americans aren't clear on what patriotism really is.
    That's one hell of a generalization.  My cousin who was a two tour Iraqi vet was a huge pj fan and hated the fact that they released bush-leaguer.  You are telling me he doesn't know what patriotism is?  People have different definitions of what patriotism is, doesn't make less patriotic or wrong.  You just have a lot of different viewpoints in this country.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:

The crowd turned on him real quick.  People were screaming "fuck you" and giving him the finger.  It got really tense in my section; it felt like a fight could break out in any moment.  The walk out was interesting too, people yelling how Ed was a douche, he should stick to music and just play rock n roll, people paid for music not politics...others defended him.  It was a really decisive moment for the band and the country.

This 2003 tour was definitely crazy; the most upset I ever was at a pearl jam show was at Hershey not at Uniondale.  Ed said some pretty fucked up shit that night.
    okay. Now you have to explain. What did he say that night?
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited January 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    JC29856 said:

Agreed on Hershey. When I heard that boot, I couldn't believe what he said to that female. I did like the comment about "Fuck this fucking chocolate factory."
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    That's one hell of a generalization.  My cousin who was a two tour Iraqi vet was a huge pj fan and hated the fact that they released bush-leaguer.  You are telling me he doesn't know what patriotism is?  People have different definitions of what patriotism is, doesn't make less patriotic or wrong.  You just have a lot of different viewpoints in this country.  
    How is it a generalization when I said A LOT of Americans aren't clear on what patriotism really is? How come you think your cousin has to be one of them? It would have only been a generalization if I'd said that all Americans aren't clear on it. Calm down.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata