President Oprah? President The Rock?

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I'm still holding out hope for President Qualified Candidate Who Knows How To Govern And Inspires People To Follow Them.
    This!  We need a president who can bring the country together, not divide it further.
    I think the chance for that to happen in America is already dead. It's not going to happen.
    It could still happen, but people have to be willing to be brought together. Too many Americans today talk about wanting to come together but really mean they just want the other side to agree with them. Coming together means compromising. It means seeing the merit in your opponents argument and acknowledging the flaws in your own. Most people I know don't want to do that.
    That's why it's not going to happen. Not when issues like abortion rights and gun rights and immigration and race and war and oil are in play. No fucking way. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of faith in the American public or in corporate America.
    I don't either. Not anymore. I wish I did but 63 million Americans voting for Trump broke me. I don't see a realistic path that leads to any of these divides shrinking.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oprah being POTUS wouldn't start a civil war, lol. If Trump doesn't, then Oprah certainly wouldn't.
    OK maybe not a civil war but there would  certainly be more division
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I'm still holding out hope for President Qualified Candidate Who Knows How To Govern And Inspires People To Follow Them.
    This!  We need a president who can bring the country together, not divide it further.
    I think the chance for that to happen in America is already dead. It's not going to happen.
    It could still happen, but people have to be willing to be brought together. Too many Americans today talk about wanting to come together but really mean they just want the other side to agree with them. Coming together means compromising. It means seeing the merit in your opponents argument and acknowledging the flaws in your own. Most people I know don't want to do that.
    That's why it's not going to happen. Not when issues like abortion rights and gun rights and immigration and race and war and oil are in play. No fucking way. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of faith in the American public or in corporate America.
    I don't either. Not anymore. I wish I did but 63 million Americans voting for Trump broke me. I don't see a realistic path that leads to any of these divides shrinking.
    :frowning: Yeah, and while the economic system will necessarily keep growing the gap between rich and poor and eliminating the middle class - something Oprah isn't going to do anything about - shit's just going to get worse and worse. North America is on a capitalist one-way train to collapse IMHO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Reagan and Trump are the two absloute worst Presidents in this nation's history.

NO MORE FUCKING CELEBRITIES!!
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Reagan and Trump are the two absloute worst Presidents in this nation's history.

Reagan?  I don't know about that and plus he was Governor of California for 8 years before becoming President.  So at least he had political experience.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Don't sell Oprah short...she has the potential to do this.
    you think a black woman can unite a country that still holds neo-nazi rallies and people who protest against no longer celebrating the confederate flag? you think a BLACK WOMAN can do this?
    Uhhh...absolutely....a back man did it only a few short years ago. 
    so now you are giving obama credit for uniting the country? he was a great president, but if anything, the hatred started to bubble when he was elected. and it is now boiling over. 
    Now hang on one second...everybody on here knows that I am no Obama supporter but let there be no doubt that his 2008 campaign was brilliantly executed on a theme of unity... "There is no red state, there is no blue state...etc.". On the day of his inauguration it was a magnificent moment and at that time he had the opportunity to be the uniter that he campaigned as. Unfortunately the Pelosi/Reid congress took a different approach and took the agenda far to the left. The reason I did not like Obama is that for all his talk of unity I had a feeling that when all was said and done he was at heart one of "them" and would be fully on board with the plan. The "hatred" you speak of was not a racist outcry to a black man. It was an outcry against the hard left progressive agenda. I've said this a million times but nobody on here is willing to accept it. You would much rather prefer that people are resisting skin colour instead of your ideas. I get it...mentally that is too hard to process. Nevertheless thousands of Obama voters in the rust belt switched there support to Trump. They thought they were getting a unifier but instead got militant progressivism so they said fuck it and voted for a son of a bitch in 2016. That doesn't mean though that these voters are lost to democrats forever. They will appreciate Trump's results but at some point they will tire of the 24/7 fist fight. The question for democrats is who will be the democratic candidate that can capitalize on Trump's results. The rust belt voter will eventually want a unifier even if she is a black woman! What they won't want however is a return to militant progressivism. Oprah has been in their living room for years. She has the ability to be their candidate.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    I think Oprah's heart is in the right place and she could be a great asset in some governmental position but I want the next president to be qualified for the position...fully qualified and experienced with many of the job requirements. Like any job, experience is a quality. We'll have a lot of mending to be done around the world with a lot of other countries.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    KC138045 said:

Reagan?  I don't know about that and plus he was Governor of California for 8 years before becoming President.  So at least he had political experience.
    Yes, Reagan.  His economic policies were absolutely fucking horrible.  We have him to thank for the big corporate, greedy, capitalist mess we're now stuck in and will never get out of.  Great speaker, terrible President.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Obama was in no way, shape or form a "militant progressive". 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Kat said:
    I think Oprah's heart is in the right place and she could be a great asset in some governmental position but I want the next president to be qualified for the position...fully qualified and experienced with many of the job requirements. Like any job, experience is a quality. We'll have a lot of mending to be done around the world with a lot of other countries.
    My feelings exactly.  I like Oprah fine but she has no experience in politics.  We need candidates who have good ideas AND experience.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Kat said:
    Absolutely. We need someone who really knows what they're doing, not someone who wants to just ride on their grand, vague intentions and ability to give a moving speech (on an awards show). I think it's pretty nuts that so many Americans have lowered the bar so much in this context. It's pretty scary.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    KC138045 said:

Yes, Reagan.  His economic policies were absolutely fucking horrible.  We have him to thank for the big corporate, greedy, capitalist mess we're now stuck in and will never get out of.  Great speaker, terrible President.
    He was a terrible president, but he did at least pay some political dues.  I don't know that I'd call him a "celebrity" along the same lines as Trump, Oprah, etc.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    you think a black woman can unite a country that still holds neo-nazi rallies and people who protest against no longer celebrating the confederate flag? you think a BLACK WOMAN can do this?
    so now you are giving obama credit for uniting the country? he was a great president, but if anything, the hatred started to bubble when he was elected. and it is now boiling over. 
    Now hang on one second...everybody on here knows that I am no Obama supporter but let there be no doubt that his 2008 campaign was brilliantly executed on a theme of unity... "There is no red state, there is no blue state...etc.". On the day of his inauguration it was a magnificent moment and at that time he had the opportunity to be the uniter that he campaigned as. Unfortunately the Pelosi/Reid congress took a different approach and took the agenda far to the left. The reason I did not like Obama is that for all his talk of unity I had a feeling that when all was said and done he was at heart one of "them" and would be fully on board with the plan. The "hatred" you speak of was not a racist outcry to a black man. It was an outcry against the hard left progressive agenda. I've said this a million times but nobody on here is willing to accept it. You would much rather prefer that people are resisting skin colour instead of your ideas. I get it...mentally that is too hard to process. Nevertheless thousands of Obama voters in the rust belt switched there support to Trump. They thought they were getting a unifier but instead got militant progressivism so they said fuck it and voted for a son of a bitch in 2016. That doesn't mean though that these voters are lost to democrats forever. They will appreciate Trump's results but at some point they will tire of the 24/7 fist fight. The question for democrats is who will be the democratic candidate that can capitalize on Trump's results. The rust belt voter will eventually want a unifier even if she is a black woman! What they won't want however is a return to militant progressivism. Oprah has been in their living room for years. She has the ability to be their candidate.
    There was no ‘hard left progressive agenda’.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    KC138045 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I completely disagree.  The division we see today started under Obama.
    The division was there long before Obama. Having a black President made that division visible to everyone.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    sorry, completely disagree. and you can keep ramming it down all of our throats how much smarter you are than everyone else, but the vitriol and blind hatred of the man was not because of his policies alone. I would wage that it was a combination, but more racially motivated than you are willing to admit. there is a massive racism problem in the US that reared its ugly head once he was office, a problem everyone thought had gone away. 

am I saying all republicans are racist? not at all. But a lot are. 

they didn't switch parties because of Obama's policies. they switched because the government didn't solve all their problems like they continue to hope it will. Trump promised them he would bring back their dying industries so they didn't have to make any of the hard choices themselves. that's what people do, unfortunately. and it worked. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited January 2018
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    “Our number one priority is to see this president fail.”
     And you talk about patriotism.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    sorry, completely disagree. and you can keep ramming it down all of our throats how much smarter you are than everyone else, but the vitriol and blind hatred of the man was not because of his policies alone. I would wage that it was a combination, but more racially motivated than you are willing to admit. there is a massive racism problem in the US that reared its ugly head once he was office, a problem everyone thought had gone away. 

they didn't switch parties because of Obama's policies. they switched because the government didn't solve all their problems like they continue to hope it will. Trump promised them he would bring back their dying industries so they didn't have to make any of the hard choices themselves. that's what people do, unfortunately. and it worked. 
    You do not completely disagree...your last paragraph basically rephrases what I said. Maybe I am much smarter...maybe I'm a genius in fact. A very stable genius! Also...manufacturing jobs are growing again...it isn't the resurrection of dying industry but it's a start. Oprah has the ability to capitalize on that where Bernie cannot.

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Absolutely. We need someone who really knows what they're doing, not someone who wants to just ride on their grand, vague intentions and ability to give a moving speech (on an awards show). I think it's pretty nuts that so many Americans have lowered the bar so much in this context. It's pretty scary.
    The problem is that nobody really knows what they're doing. The governing class is for the most part tired and unimaginative. Will Kamala Harris be better suited then Oprah? Will Elizabeth Warren? Bernie? Joe Biden? Corey Booker? Kirstin Gillibrand? I just don't see the evidence that there is someone waiting in the democratic party wings that "really knows what they're doing". Oprah is very successful in business. She is probably more in tune with the citizenry then those living life in the senate. I think you are all selling her way to short.
    edited January 2018
    OnWis97 said:
    KC138045 said:

He was a terrible president, but he did at least pay some political dues.  I don't know that I'd call him a "celebrity" along the same lines as Trump, Oprah, etc.  
    Agreed. He was an actor, but he made the switch to politics long before he became a terrible president. If he'd simply jumped from acting to running for POTUS, he would have probably been greeted by collective roars of laughter from the public, since that was back when people were still basically thinking straight.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2018
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    The problem is that nobody really knows what they're doing. The governing class is for the most part tired and unimaginative. Will Kamala Harris be better suited then Oprah? Will Elizabeth Warren? Bernie? Joe Biden? Corey Booker? Kirstin Gillibrand? I just don't see the evidence that there is someone waiting in the democratic party wings that "really knows what they're doing". Oprah is very successful in business. She is probably more in tune with the citizenry then those living life in the senate. I think you are all selling her way to short.
    Elizabeth Warren would be great.  Smart and well qualified.  Bit she's already made it clear she won't run.  Same with Joe Biden.  Too bad, either would be excellent choices!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited January 2018
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Yes, Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden would be much, much better suited than Oprah, and the fact that you're even asking if that might be the case really makes me wonder where in the hell your head is at.
    FFS, being successful in business has NOTHING to do with how successful they'll be as POTUS, and I would have thought Trump proves that to anyone who wasn't quite sure. Also, I have absolutely no reason at all to think that Oprah is more in tune with the citizens than Bernie, Elizabeth or Joe. Why do you think that?? Oprah is living in her own fucking world. She is one of the richest and most powerful women in America - that doesn't tend to keep a person in tune with the regulars at all, no matter how much they like to pretend they are. She also has absolutely zero experience or real knowledge of how government actually works. It seems pretty crazy to me that you think she is as qualified as Bernie Sanders or Warren or Biden are. That's a ludicrous suggestion IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Yes, Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden would be much, much better suited that Oprah, and the fact that you're even asking if that might be the case really makes me wonder where in the hell your head is at.
    FFS, being successful in business has NOTHING to do with how successful they'll be as POTUS, and I would have thought Trump would have proven that to anyone who wasn't quite sure. Also, I have absolutely no reason at all to think that Oprah is more in tune with the citizens than Bernie, Elizabeth or Joe. Why do you think that?? Oprah is living in her own fucking world. She is one of the richest and most powerful women in America - that doesn't tend to keep a person in tune with the regulars at all, no matter how much they like to pretend they are. She also has absolutely zero experience or real knowledge of how government actually works. It seems pretty crazy to me that you think she is as qualified as Bernie Sanders or Warren or Biden are. That's a ludicrous suggestion IMO.
    Oprah wasn't born rich, which is about the only card she has to play in terms of being in touch with the "man in the street", but she would play that for all it's worth. 

She's been in show biz for long enough that there's bound to be dirt on her that can be found or manufactured. Given Trump, dirt shouldn't even matter any more, but it would matter for a female candidate. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:

You do not completely disagree...your last paragraph basically rephrases what I said. Maybe I am much smarter...maybe I'm a genius in fact. A very stable genius! Also...manufacturing jobs are growing again...it isn't the resurrection of dying industry but it's a start. Oprah has the ability to capitalize on that where Bernie cannot.
    um, no it doesn't. you said they left obama for trump because of obama's "militant progressivism". I said they left because he didn't fix something that shouldn't be fixed. 

how does being very successful in business make someone relatable to the common person? it doesn't. her life growing up poor makes her relatable, being rich and famous now further distances her from them.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    BS44325 said:

PJ_Soul said:
    Kat said:
    Yes, Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden would be much, much better suited that Oprah, and the fact that you're even asking if that might be the case really makes me wonder where in the hell your head is at.
    FFS, being successful in business has NOTHING to do with how successful they'll be as POTUS, and I would have thought Trump would have proven that to anyone who wasn't quite sure. Also, I have absolutely no reason at all to think that Oprah is more in tune with the citizens than Bernie, Elizabeth or Joe. Why do you think that?? Oprah is living in her own fucking world. She is one of the richest and most powerful women in America - that doesn't tend to keep a person in tune with the regulars at all, no matter how much they like to pretend they are. She also has absolutely zero experience or real knowledge of how government actually works. It seems pretty crazy to me that you think she is as qualified as Bernie Sanders or Warren or Biden are. That's a ludicrous suggestion IMO.
    Oprah wasn't born rich, which is about the only card she has to play in terms of being in touch with the "man in the street", but she would play that for all it's worth. 

She's been in show biz for long enough that there's bound to be dirt on her that can be found or manufactured. Given Trump, dirt shouldn't even matter any more, but it would matter for a female candidate. 
    I'm not even concerned about dirt. I just think that anyone in Oprah's position for decades and with the amount of wealth and power she has, would be pretty much incapable of retaining any true connection with or knowledge of what regular people are really dealing with or how they even think. The fog of wealth and power is thick as pea soup. It always changes people at their core eventually, and Oprah wasn't even a tough nut for it to crack. That woman is a huge attention and power monger now. As I said before, I am fully convinced that she is a full blown megalomaniac at this point. But my main concern is simply that she doesn't know shit about running the government.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I think that's a pretty massive assumption to make about her character. But I share the same sentiment about her ability to run the country. how would she deal with N Korea? Send Jong Un a gift bag from fifth avenue?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I think that's a pretty massive assumption to make about her character. But I share the same sentiment about her ability to run the country. how would she deal with N Korea? Send Jong Un a gift bag from fifth avenue?
    We all have opinions about the character of people in power, no? I have formed my opinion about Oprah based on numerous things from over many years. People don't have to agree with me obviously, but I'm just pulling my opinion out of thin air.
    But hell, god knows she's be a millions times better than Trump, but Christ, I hope that isn't where the bar is at. If it is, then that dog from The Littlest Hobo could win the election, lol.
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:

um, no it doesn't. you said they left obama for trump because of obama's "militant progressivism". I said they left because he didn't fix something that shouldn't be fixed. 

how does being very successful in business make someone relatable to the common person? it doesn't. her life growing up poor makes her relatable, being rich and famous now further distances her from them.  
    It is the type of business she was in. You don't have the highest ratings in day time talk for a million years in a row without knowing a little bit about your audience. Her type of success required her to understand the american viewer across the entire country. I guarantee you that her people spent hour and hours learning about the american people's like and dislikes, their needs and their wants. This ability to know the audience and to deliver in their language year after year completely stem from her brilliance. In the end this is what politics is all about and I have no doubt that she could translate this strength into good governance. Many of you need to get over your anti-business tendencies. There is nothing special about the political class before you. 

This is sexism.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited January 2018
    It seems someone once thought she would be a good choice........

Post edited by Bentleyspop on