I don't believe in God

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    it comes up as my brother is ultra religious, as is his wife and son. their son especially judges me like a motherfucker. i really think he thinks i'm the devil. he creeps me the fuck out. in a unabomber kinda way.

they believe homosexuality is a choice and is curable. my brother told me last night at dinner that the he finds the american (republican) version of christianity is so bastardized that it barely resembles christianity at all. which i found interesting. 

it also comes up in my house a lot as my wife is catholic and so i agreed to raise our kids as such. or rather, i said i'd allow her to teach them that as kids, and they can make their minds up about it when they can frame it themselves. my youngest asks me questions about my beliefs all the time. it's kind of fun as, for an 8 year old, she comes up with fascinatingly intelligent questions. and i enjoy talking to her about it, because she's so young, there's zero judgment, only curiosity. which is refreshing. 

my daughter's guitar teacher gave her a ball to carry around the house as exercise in how to hold her finger picking hand. i looked at it and it said "smile....jesus loves you". i nearly stuffed it in his fucking mouth. 
    Serious question...you want others to respect your beliefs, so why the last sentence?  

I persoannly don;t believe in organized religion.  I do believe in something...or maybe I just want to.  But to me it just feels like there is something that ties us all together.  But then there are times when I think there is no way.

I also am a bit like you in that I seem to have a terrible reaction to others beliefs at times and it bothers me.  But I'm trying to not do that as much.  Because some of the time they are being judgmental and deserve it, but most of the time it's pretty innocent and just normal life for them.  And really it doesn't effect me anymore than someone's sexuality so I should stop being such a jerk about it all the time. ;)
    the last sentence because it just seems so underhanded to give a "gift" to a child and it turning out to be something that happens to be part of their agenda. I find that disgusting. people do that shit knowing full well how awkward it is to confront the person about it with their child right there and the parent giving them shit for a gift they gave them. it turns into 'how did I become the asshole in this situation?'. 

I wasn't actually as angry about it and that statement made it sound. He's a nice guy, and for all I know, he got it for free to give to his students and thought nothing of it. I don't know. I looked at it, chuckled to myself, and put it down. 

the difference between someone's sexuality and religion is that no one is trying to ram their sexuality down anyone's throat. They are proud, they want to make you aware who they are, but by no means are they trying to convert you. 
    But to a lot of religious people it's just part of who they are.  So they can't hide it from you.  And while you think it's ramming it down your throat it's no different than you talking about your favorite band to them.  Just what I found after spending some years in a pretty religious area.

But trust me, I often agree with you and have the same feelings....trying not to though.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I can't speak for other religions (hell,  I can't speak for Christianity.  It's just what I grew up around) but it's existence relies on people jammingbjt down everyone's throat. Doesn't Christianity teach that all Christians must spread the word? Why do you think people always say "I'll pray for you?" Aren't they praying that you or whoever will turn to Christ? 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I was out with a buddy at a bar about a month ago and we got talking to a group of women.  One I was talking to brought up religion and I told her I was an atheist.  The conversation ended abruptly after that but she did leave with a "it's ok Jesus still loves you".  
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I can't remember a time in decades when anyone has asked me if I believe in god. Very occasionally people have asked if I attend church but that seemed to have been more of a social question, and there was never a negative reaction when I said no. In my experience, this just isn't something that people are concerned about in my neck of the woods. 
    Same here in my neck.

And if someone wants to pray for me, whether or not they ask?  All good, as I can't imagine the intent comes from a place of malice.

I'm similar to OnWis, as an agnostic.  Religion, and freedom of it, has played a huge role in my life.  And the thread title keeps bringing me back to this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQcU5w915p8
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    I was given a copy of The Book of Mormon for Christmas (seriously) with an inscription to the effect of God is aware of us and our struggles and that the book has brought them comfort knowing they'll be together forever in heaven. I'm very glad I didn't open the gift in front of them. I don't think I could've controlled my reaction. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it comes up as my brother is ultra religious, as is his wife and son. their son especially judges me like a motherfucker. i really think he thinks i'm the devil. he creeps me the fuck out. in a unabomber kinda way.

they believe homosexuality is a choice and is curable. my brother told me last night at dinner that the he finds the american (republican) version of christianity is so bastardized that it barely resembles christianity at all. which i found interesting. 

it also comes up in my house a lot as my wife is catholic and so i agreed to raise our kids as such. or rather, i said i'd allow her to teach them that as kids, and they can make their minds up about it when they can frame it themselves. my youngest asks me questions about my beliefs all the time. it's kind of fun as, for an 8 year old, she comes up with fascinatingly intelligent questions. and i enjoy talking to her about it, because she's so young, there's zero judgment, only curiosity. which is refreshing. 

my daughter's guitar teacher gave her a ball to carry around the house as exercise in how to hold her finger picking hand. i looked at it and it said "smile....jesus loves you". i nearly stuffed it in his fucking mouth. 
    Serious question...you want others to respect your beliefs, so why the last sentence?  

I persoannly don;t believe in organized religion.  I do believe in something...or maybe I just want to.  But to me it just feels like there is something that ties us all together.  But then there are times when I think there is no way.

I also am a bit like you in that I seem to have a terrible reaction to others beliefs at times and it bothers me.  But I'm trying to not do that as much.  Because some of the time they are being judgmental and deserve it, but most of the time it's pretty innocent and just normal life for them.  And really it doesn't effect me anymore than someone's sexuality so I should stop being such a jerk about it all the time. ;)
    the last sentence because it just seems so underhanded to give a "gift" to a child and it turning out to be something that happens to be part of their agenda. I find that disgusting. people do that shit knowing full well how awkward it is to confront the person about it with their child right there and the parent giving them shit for a gift they gave them. it turns into 'how did I become the asshole in this situation?'. 

I wasn't actually as angry about it and that statement made it sound. He's a nice guy, and for all I know, he got it for free to give to his students and thought nothing of it. I don't know. I looked at it, chuckled to myself, and put it down. 

the difference between someone's sexuality and religion is that no one is trying to ram their sexuality down anyone's throat. They are proud, they want to make you aware who they are, but by no means are they trying to convert you. 
    But to a lot of religious people it's just part of who they are.  So they can't hide it from you.  And while you think it's ramming it down your throat it's no different than you talking about your favorite band to them.  Just what I found after spending some years in a pretty religious area.

But trust me, I often agree with you and have the same feelings....trying not to though.
    I'm not asking anyone to hide it from me. fly that jesus flag all you want. just don't ask me to hold it.

and I think it's quite different. I used to have a massive issue with my brother because his goal in life was to bring everyone into the flock. Once he realized we weren't interested, and shit did that take a long time to get through, we can talk about religion in a respectful manner that doesn't make me feel like he's judging me or trying to make me better. 

because, in the end, that's what it's all about for me: some people seem to believe their lives are better with god in it. and that's fine if it worked for them, but quit trying to tell me mine would be as well, like I need some improvement.

try once, fine. try twice, fuck off. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I can't speak for other religions (hell,  I can't speak for Christianity.  It's just what I grew up around) but it's existence relies on people jammingbjt down everyone's throat. Doesn't Christianity teach that all Christians must spread the word? Why do you think people always say "I'll pray for you?" Aren't they praying that you or whoever will turn to Christ? 
    This is certainly true for Christianity.   You're supposed to proselytize.  If you're a "true Christian", a "good Christian", you're supposed to be an evangelical.  I got interested in the Jesus movement for a while back in the seventies because some of the people I knew who were into it were very kind and giving but the two things that turned me off were the notions of having to say the right words ("I accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior") to get into heaven (otherwise you go to hell?  fuck that) and the insistence that you had to proselytize to be a true Christian.  No thanks.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    KC138045 said:
    I was out with a buddy at a bar about a month ago and we got talking to a group of women.  One I was talking to brought up religion and I told her I was an atheist.  The conversation ended abruptly after that but she did leave with a "it's ok Jesus still loves you".  
    And that's when you say, "it's ok, science will still be the dominant force which makes every part of your life better, healthier, and longer."
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I was given a copy of The Book of Mormon for Christmas (seriously) with an inscription to the effect of God is aware of us and our struggles and that the book has brought them comfort knowing they'll be together forever in heaven. I'm very glad I didn't open the gift in front of them. I don't think I could've controlled my reaction. 
    Was it from your sister wife?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    brianlux said:
    This is certainly true for Christianity.   You're supposed to proselytize.  If you're a "true Christian", a "good Christian", you're supposed to be an evangelical.  I got interested in the Jesus movement for a while back in the seventies because some of the people I knew who were into it were very kind and giving but the two things that turned me off were the notions of having to say the right words ("I accept Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior") to get into heaven (otherwise you go to hell?  fuck that) and the insistence that you had to proselytize to be a true Christian.  No thanks.
    I hate that! So basically, as long as you accept Jesus..., it can be on your deathbed but you'll still get into heaven, regardless of what kind of person you were in life? Even if heaven existed, that wouldn't be right. What does that even mean? What's the point? 
    I respect others' religious beliefs but when they start pushing them on me...it's on! They better have some damn good arguments. They never do.  
    dankind said:
    Was it from your sister wife?
    Which one? :lol:
    brianlux said:
    I hate that! So basically, as long as you accept Jesus..., it can be on your deathbed but you'll still get into heaven, regardless of what kind of person you were in life? Even if heaven existed, that wouldn't be right. What does that even mean? What's the point? 
    I respect others' religious beliefs but when they start pushing them on me...it's on! They better have some damn good arguments. They never do.  
    this is yet another in a long list of things I never understood about it, as you mentioned here. It was even made into a joke on the Simpsons when Homer quit going to church. Another character asked him about getting into heaven, and Homer replied "meh, I'll recant on my deathbed". it's such a stupid idea. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    "Between the stirrup and the ground, he something sought and something found." 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

Reminds me of what Penn and Teller said (well...just Penn I guess).
    They are outspoken atheists, but in an interview Penn said he is offended when a Christian doesn't ask him about God. If they don't say anything, its like saying "I believe you're going to hell and I don't care."
    Even if he went out of his way to obtain that ball to give it out I don't see why anyone would care. I don;t care at the end of a Chinese meal the waiter drops off something with Buddhist images and writing on it. Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if he kept coming by and preaching to me while I'm trying to eat, but just dropping something off at the end of a meal or inside a cookie why would that bother anyone?
    mace1229 said:

They are outspoken atheists, but in an interview Penn said he is offended when a Christian doesn't ask him about God. If they don't say anything, its like saying "I believe you're going to hell and I don't care."
    Even if he went out of his way to obtain that ball to give it out I don't see why anyone would care. I don;t care at the end of a Chinese meal the waiter drops off something with Buddhist images and writing on it. Yeah, I'd be pretty annoyed if he kept coming by and preaching to me while I'm trying to eat, but just dropping something off at the end of a meal or inside a cookie why would that bother anyone?
    as I said, my statement about "shoving it in his mouth" was an exaggeration, and I clarified that I just chuckled to myself and gave it back to my daughter. My point was that, it seems underhanded to give something like that to a child. it's manipulation. give it to me, fine, no big deal.

that being said, we all react in different ways to different circumstances. I'm tired of people getting judged for how they react to any given situation, just because it wouldn't bother someone else, somehow means the person it bothered is over reacting. No, the experiences of my 43 years on earth led me to react that way. Just as your XX amount of years led you to react in a certain way to something else that wouldn't necessarily bother me.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:

as I said, my statement about "shoving it in his mouth" was an exaggeration, and I clarified that I just chuckled to myself and gave it back to my daughter. My point was that, it seems underhanded to give something like that to a child. it's manipulation. give it to me, fine, no big deal.

that being said, we all react in different ways to different circumstances. I'm tired of people getting judged for how they react to any given situation, just because it wouldn't bother someone else, somehow means the person it bothered is over reacting. No, the experiences of my 43 years on earth led me to react that way. Just as your XX amount of years led you to react in a certain way to something else that wouldn't necessarily bother me.  
    Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to say it shouldn't bother you. Just curious as to why it would/did.
    I read your follow-up, and even though you said it was exaggerated, it still was clear it bothered you.
    Your explanation makes a lot of sense, that because it was a child it seems more inappropriate than if someone were to give it to you or an adult. As a parent I could understand that.
    brianlux said:
    this is yet another in a long list of things I never understood about it, as you mentioned here. It was even made into a joke on the Simpsons when Homer quit going to church. Another character asked him about getting into heaven, and Homer replied "meh, I'll recant on my deathbed". it's such a stupid idea. 
    Not so stupid.  It's the whole, you can always be forgiven....but you have to mean it.  It's not really meant as an excuse to do a bunch of terrible things and then get away with it...

hippiemom = goodness
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    rgambs said:
    KC138045 said:
    And that's when you say, "it's ok, science will still be the dominant force which makes every part of your life better, healthier, and longer."
    The Christian rebuttle is "I do not need toclive longer. I can't wait to meet Christ."
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    rgambs said:
    KC138045 said:
    The Christian rebuttle is "I do not need toclive longer. I can't wait to meet Christ."
    It's gonna be a looooong wait. 
    brianlux said:
    Not so stupid.  It's the whole, you can always be forgiven....but you have to mean it.  It's not really meant as an excuse to do a bunch of terrible things and then get away with it...

but I think some view it that way. the same as many christians view it as they can do whatever the fuck they want because jesus forgives all. now, I think most christians are good people. I think most people are good people, actually, and just a lot of them happen to be christian. But I get what you're saying. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Interesting. I actually think that the majority of humans are not very good people at all, when push comes to shove.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    yes, but the question would be how its spread, right? by talking the talk or walking the walk.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    PJ_Soul said:
    Interesting. I actually think that the majority of humans are not very good people at all, when push comes to shove.
    That's cause you are in Canada and it;s true around you. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Smellyman said:
    I don't get weird looks, but I don't live in the bible belt.   It's another reason the USA is so backwards (In many areas).

Another good Gervais.

… If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different

Wow genius....describing the difference between science and faith...who knew.

Smellyman said:
    I don't get weird looks, but I don't live in the bible belt.   It's another reason the USA is so backwards (In many areas).

Another good Gervais.

… If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different

Wow genius....describing the difference between science and faith...who knew.
    Who knew?  Not religious people.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    brianlux said:
    yeah I have said for years that I have more respect for the Mormons and Jehovah's Witness groups than your typical Christian.  At least they go door to door and try to recruit....their belief is stronger than the poseurs that dress up nice and go to the fashion show every week (i.e. church)
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    I understand d what you guys are saying. And the premise of this wasn't to have a debate on whether or not God exists or in what form. 

I'm trying to gauge other peoples reactions to someone saying they don't believe. People literally look at me like I'm the devil himself. 
    Well in that regards I only have an opposite experience with a research supervisor doing Evolutionary Algorithms whose religious beliefs meant he didn't think evolution was a real thing - and I thought that was crazy!
    Yea, it's difficult to debate evolution vs creationism with people of faith. They're completely blinded by faith. Most of them have zero regard for provable science.
    On the other hand, there’s a lot of people of faith who fully believe in evolution.  
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    I believe in God.
    I believe in science.
    I believe I'm not like these others
    you describe.
    Thus ends my
    reverse diatribe.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    yeah I have said for years that I have more respect for the Mormons and Jehovah's Witness groups than your typical Christian.  At least they go door to door and try to recruit....their belief is stronger than the poseurs that dress up nice and go to the fashion show every week (i.e. church)
    The problem is, that door-to-door thing can really old.  With some, the only way to dissuade them from  going an and on is to answer the door naked.  Maybe.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited January 2018
    I don't believe in God either. My religious parents don't get me.

My parents are very religious.  They've kept quiet for about 10 years but finally said something to me over the holidays.  It really bothers them that I don't go to church.  I feel bad because you never want to let down your parents.  I don't know where I am at with it though.   The religious person discredits evolution/big bang by saying what created the particles or whatever to make us (something from nothing?), and the atheist asks where did God come from?   
    Don't feel bad.
    It would be insane to believe in something someone tells you to believe in when there is no evidence to prove its existence.
    Plus, they're letting YOU down by forcing you into believing something you don't want to.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I had someone I csre about very much explain to me that we are all nothing but energy. Everything in the universe is energy. She believes in god. But God to her is energy. Some sort of divine energy. That God is in all of us through this energy. Now, if I had to believe in a god, that may be the best option for me to go with. 
    Sounds like the force in Star Wars.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014