Please Give Us An Experimental Album

hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
Like the title says. An album with a 30 minute rendition of “Alive” or a mashup of “Evenflow” and “Daughter” lasting 45 minutes. Maybe throw in some new instruments to our favourite songs. For example play some sitar on “Inside Job”.

Lets think outside the box to avoid another typical studio album.
London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016

Comments

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    edited January 2018
    Let’s not rehash old music.

Completely new would be nice. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925

+1
  • +2
  • JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429

100% agree!
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,133
    Yeah I don’t need to hear any old stuff, but I’m 100% on board with experimental/interesting tracks.  Shit, bring jack back so there’s some interesting rhythms again or something.  These last few albums have been pretty similar to me in feeling.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    They want no brainers to play live. And Mikes solos keep getting shorter. But they still have their good looks :heart:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    I don't want old songs messed with. I would also LOVE a brand new experimental album!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,032
    i just want a new album. it could be EV burping the alphabet
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    I just want an inspired album. If they are inspired to be experimental, great, but I don't want experimentation just for the sake of being experimental. Wherever the muses take them, that is where I want them to go.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,873
    Binaural II requires them to get in the studio and write together, which I don't think they do anymore.  Seems like they each bring songs in and then record them together.  Would be awesome to get another album like that, but I'm not sure we can (until they all become empty-nesters).
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    edited January 2018
    JimmyV said:
    I just want an inspired album. If they are inspired to be experimental, great, but I don't want experimentation just for the sake of being experimental. Wherever the muses take them, that is where I want them to go.
    I feel like a decision is still involved because at this point in their career and the current music market, like it or not and genuine inspiration aside (which I agree is key), the question to themselves or from their producer would likely be, "Do we want to actually aim for a mass market commercial success or not?" And I think the answer to that will necessarily guide the style of the album.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,740
    i just want a new album. it could be EV burping the alphabet
    Here’s my $20 Mr. cashier
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,344
    Binaural II requires them to get in the studio and write together, which I don't think they do anymore.  Seems like they each bring songs in and then record them together.  Would be awesome to get another album like that, but I'm not sure we can (until they all become empty-nesters).
    Jeff’s comments about them playing and writing the last few months have me encouraged. Even if it isn’t all of them at once, the idea of a “typical day” being them getting together to make music sounds like a step in the right direction
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • marjenmarjen CT Posts: 792
    Its been 4 years already, I dont think I want some screwy off the wall experimental album. How about they prove they can still write really good, solid rock songs. Not to say there weren't some on the last couple albums because there were. But binaural, riot act I do not want a second act. 
    edited January 2018
    marjen said:
    Its been 4 years already, I dont think I want some screwy off the wall experimental album. How about they prove they can still write really good, solid rock songs. Not to say there weren't some on the last couple albums because there were. But binaural, riot act I do not want a second act. 
    When I say "experimental" and "Pearl Jam" together, I don't get "screwy and off the wall". I get something more like Vitalogy, maybe minus Better Man and Nothing Man and hopefully something less "poppy" in their place. Or something closer to No Code. It's not like PJ is Hovercraft. Experimental is very much a relative term for PJ, lol. I think people are really just dying for a departure from Backspacer and LB kind of stuff, and if you compare No Code to LB, No Code is like fucking Brian Eno. :lol:;)
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    JimmyV said:
    Well said. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    No offense, but I don't think that this "Like the title says" line has ever been used less appropriately. Rehashing old music is the less experimental and more lame thing I can think of them doing for a new album.
    Anyway, think about their most "experimental" tracks: You Are, Sleight of Hand, Can't Keep (Riot Act version), Help, Help... Probably most of them come from Binaural and Riot Act. And guess what two albums are often at the bottom of people's list of favorite albums? Yes, these two.
    Usually, when Matt Cameron writes a song (and when this happens, you're almost guaranteed to get an experimental song, I mean experimental for PJ standards at least, like using different time signatures or different sounds/mood than what PJ used us to hear - You Are, Evacuation, Cropduster, In the Moonlight..) most people's reaction is not good.
    I think, unfortunately, PJ knows this, and that is one of the reasons of the descending quality of the last couple albums.
    No offense, but I don't think that this "Like the title says" line has ever been used less appropriately. Rehashing old music is the less experimental and more lame thing I can think of them doing for a new album.
    Anyway, think about their most "experimental" tracks: You Are, Sleight of Hand, Can't Keep (Riot Act version), Help, Help... Probably most of them come from Binaural and Riot Act. And guess what two albums are often at the bottom of people's list of favorite albums? Yes, these two.
    Usually, when Matt Cameron writes a song (and when this happens, you're almost guaranteed to get an experimental song, I mean experimental for PJ standards at least, like using different time signatures or different sounds/mood than what PJ used us to hear - You Are, Evacuation, Cropduster, In the Moonlight..) most people's reaction is not good.
    I think, unfortunately, PJ knows this, and that is one of the reasons of the descending quality of the last couple albums.
      I agree with the highlighted part. They've already done it with Jeremy, and that is interesting... just right for a holiday single. I certainly wouldn't want a whole album like that. 
    PJ_Soul said:
      I agree with the highlighted part. They've already done it with Jeremy, and that is interesting... just right for a holiday single. I certainly wouldn't want a whole album like that. 
    Yes. I guess what I was trying to say is: does people really want an experimental album, when their most uncommon songs are often also their less preferred songs (by most fans)?
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    Just give us their version of the Beatles White Album. Simples! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Give us double platinum
  • i just want a new album. it could be EV burping the alphabet
    I respectfully disagree.  This band is Pearl Jam. I'd rather them not release anything at all then something truly terrible.
    Funny the mention of evacuation above... I was just listening to a 2000 boot from Seattle on my drive home and had to listen to that aural shart.  Please don’t fart and shit in my ears on the next album.  Please don’t make it binaural 2.
  • Funny the mention of evacuation above... I was just listening to a 2000 boot from Seattle on my drive home and had to listen to that aural shart.  Please don’t fart and shit in my ears on the next album.  Please don’t make it binaural 2.
    I'm not a fan of the song either, but as a whole I feel Binaural is a far superior album to any of the last 3 that have come out.
    edited January 2018
    Funny the mention of evacuation above... I was just listening to a 2000 boot from Seattle on my drive home and had to listen to that aural shart.  Please don’t fart and shit in my ears on the next album.  Please don’t make it binaural 2.
    I'm not a fan of the song either, but as a whole I feel Binaural is a far superior album to any of the last 3 that have come out.
    pure truth. again, pure truth.

ps: Evacuation may not be for everyone, but... shit and farting? :angry:
    Post edited by Jammalambo on
    edited January 2018
    I think Binaural is their very best album (by a hair). Evacuation isn't great, but I still think it's pretty okay. It's the one not GREAT song on that whole album, but I think it's at least kind of different and that it fits with the flow of the album.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Binaural is their very best album (by a hair). Evacuation isn't great, but I still think it's pretty okay. It's the one not GREAT song on that whole album, but I think it's at least kind of different and that it fits with the flow of the album.
    I must have gotten a different version of binaural.
    I like it overall, but just like any PJ album there's 3-4 songs I skip. The difference is there aren't 3-4 songs that blow me away, the rest are just good, not mind-blowing good.
    For me there's pre-Yield and post-Yield. Nother after yield (starting with Binaural) matched the quality of Yield or anything before it.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    Aural shart was of course me screwing around.  But evacuation is hard to take.  Grievance is another from that album that is a tough one for me.  I think we all have differing opinions of course, but just look at album sales for a good stat- of course it’s a popularity thing, but their weakest selling albums are Binaural and RA- and I tend to
    understand why.
    edited January 2018
    Aural shart was of course me screwing around.  But evacuation is hard to take.  Grievance is another from that album that is a tough one for me.  I think we all have differing opinions of course, but just look at album sales for a good stat- of course it’s a popularity thing, but their weakest selling albums are Binaural and RA- and I tend to
    understand why.
    I tend not to. When Sirens is considered a radio hit I know that the general public is not a good measure of great music.
    understand why.
    Cause people have shitty taste in music?