President Oprah? President The Rock?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
Really? Come on, America. Learn from your mistakes. The entertainment industry is not the same as running the most powerful office on the planet. I know everyone hates "career politicians", but at least they know what they are doing. You can't go into a job leading 300 million people and representing them with other world leaders discussing planet-changing ideas and dealing with the possibility of armed conflict when your biggest concern prior was what gift to put under people's seats. 

"look under your chairs, America! free healthcare for everyone!". 

"do ya SAMELLLLLLLL....what the ROCK.....is legislatin'?"

Maybe she's a great leader. Maybe she's a great and moral and just person. But we need to stop with the celebrity-as-our-leader bullshit. They don't have a fucking clue what it means to be a public servant, with a few notable exceptions. And "surrounding yourself with good people who know what they are doing" isn't enough for the President's job. it just isn't. We have seen that this past year, mainly because to surround yourself with people who know what they are doing, you have to first know how to surround yourself with people who know what they are doing. 

Get back to leaving the job to those that know it, and not just people who everyone knows. 
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I dont support Oprah for president.  
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    I really hate this talk because it feels like it's possible.  While I prefer the views of people like Oprah, Zuckerberg, Mark Cuban, etc., they are essentially as qualified as Trump.  The primary advantage is that they wouldn't embarrass us on a daily basis.  But if the Dems or the two-thirds decide that the only way to get back in is to use the same model, then we're down a rabbit hole where reality TV drama is more important than actual qualifications.

Trump's a disaster.  But I won't vote for a celebrity even if they would be better.  This is not what we want the most important job in America (the world?) to turn into.  Make Presidential Candidates Qualified Again.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I can't stand Oprah.  Never have, never will.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Don't want either as POTUS, but I would rather have either over Trump.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    rgambs said:
    Don't want either as POTUS, but I would rather have either over Trump.
    My thoughts exactly. 

The question is, when will America get serious about its presidential election again?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Oprah, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle O...everything you need to know about the Democrats!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    JC29856 said:
    Oprah, Dwayne Johnson, Michelle O...everything you need to know about the Democrats!
    Everything?  A bit of a stretch there, JC.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    JC29856 said:
    Another cryptic puzzle for the AMT to ignore!
    Why don't you ever just say what you want to say?  Are you afraid if you make definitive statements that you will be held to them later, or is it just a fun game for you?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JC29856 said:
    so then Trump is everything you need to know about the Republicans?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    I’d take Michelle Obama. Please just someone who knows how laws are made and has read the Constitution. 
    I’d take Michelle Obama. Please just someone who knows how laws are made and has read the Constitution. 
    she I'd have zero issue with as well. She's at the very least been living it most of her adult life. I would venture to guess that Oprah has not. Nor has the Rock. Oprah stated just last year she'd "never run for public office". So if she turned around and did, it wouldn't look good. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I personally think Oprah would do a good job and prefer her to the current Democratic short list.
    BS44325 said:
    I personally think Oprah would do a good job and prefer her to the current Democratic short list.
    based on what, exactly?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    I am finding the knee-jerk, spazzy reaction to Oprah's Golden Globes speech a little bit embarrassing and a lot ridiculous. But it does make it clear just how desperate Americans are to not have Trump as president, and I sure can't blame them for that. I hope everyone calms down though, and considers that maybe it would be good to move away from just electing mega-rich TV stars for their President. That said, she wouldn't be the worst person for the job either, despite her obvious megalomania problem. She would be better than The Rock, lol. But seriously, just that I said that and it's not a complete joke is pretty fucking silly.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    BS44325 said:
    based on what, exactly?
    First off she is clearly intelligent and has a track record of success. Second she would not be beholden to special interests...she is self made and has plenty of money. Third she could navigate the far-left democratic base without being strictly tied to their ever expanding SJW platform that strangles so many other candidates. There is no doubt that she would have to develop a platform beyond the speech she gave last night but I think she could do it. Upside potential. Lots of it.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I'm still holding out hope for President Qualified Candidate Who Knows How To Govern And Inspires People To Follow Them.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    I'm still holding out hope for President Qualified Candidate Who Knows How To Govern And Inspires People To Follow Them.
    This!  We need a president who can bring the country together, not divide it further.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    This!  We need a president who can bring the country together, not divide it further.
    Don't sell Oprah short...she has the potential to do this.
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think the chance for that to happen in America is already dead. It's not going to happen.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    based on what, exactly?
    First off she is clearly intelligent and has a track record of success. Second she would not be beholden to special interests...she is self made and has plenty of money. Third she could navigate the far-left democratic base without being strictly tied to their ever expanding SJW platform that strangles so many other candidates. There is no doubt that she would have to develop a platform beyond the speech she gave last night but I think she could do it. Upside potential. Lots of it.
    this was all the same talking points about the supposed upside of Trump, all of which have been proven false. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    you think a black woman can unite a country that still holds neo-nazi rallies and people who protest against no longer celebrating the confederate flag? you think a BLACK WOMAN can do this?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think the chance for that to happen in America is already dead. It's not going to happen.
    It could still happen, but people have to be willing to be brought together. Too many Americans today talk about wanting to come together but really mean they just want the other side to agree with them. Coming together means compromising. It means seeing the merit in your opponents argument and acknowledging the flaws in your own. Most people I know don't want to do that.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    No way!  She's as far left as anyone and the first women president being a black women.  We'd have another civil war on our hands.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    you think a black woman can unite a country that still holds neo-nazi rallies and people who protest against no longer celebrating the confederate flag? you think a BLACK WOMAN can do this?
    Uhhh...absolutely....a back man did it only a few short years ago. 
    edited January 2018
    JimmyV said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    It could still happen, but people have to be willing to be brought together. Too many Americans today talk about wanting to come together but really mean they just want the other side to agree with them. Coming together means compromising. It means seeing the merit in your opponents argument and acknowledging the flaws in your own. Most people I know don't want to do that.
    That's why it's not going to happen. Not when issues like abortion rights and gun rights and immigration and race and war and oil are in play. No fucking way. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of faith in the American public or in corporate America.
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    I completely disagree.  The division we see today started under Obama.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    so now you are giving obama credit for uniting the country? he was a great president, but if anything, the hatred started to bubble when he was elected. and it is now boiling over. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

KC138045 said:
    BS44325 said:
    KC138045 said:
    JimmyV said:
    No way!  She's as far left as anyone and the first women president being a black women.  We'd have another civil war on our hands.
    Is that true though? How many far left positions is she really beholden too? Again I could be wrong...there could be a ton of video/audio taking far left stances I'm not aware of but other then strong support for Obama as a candidate I'm not sure she has really locked herself into anything.
    Oprah being POTUS wouldn't start a civil war, lol. If Trump doesn't, then Oprah certainly wouldn't.