What is your temperature?

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited January 2018
    What really pisses me off is when I watch two of my favorite chefs - Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey - and they're like "start with 100 grams of flour."  Ok, so, like, 1 1/6 cups?  Let me get my 1/6 measuring cup out. Oh, yeah, we're base-2 and don't measure shit in sixths. Let me get out my graduated 1/4 measuring cup and fill it halfway between 1/8 and 1/4.

Perhaps I should just buy metric measuring cups?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Anyway, it's currently 14F (-10C) here and feels like -8F (-22F) outside.

I don't know what what my apartment is.  I don't have an indoor thermometer and there is no thermostat for the heat.  The entire building is on one system with 2 gas boilers.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    16" of snow with 3 foot drifts over the past 36 hours.  current temp is 16 degrees with a real feel of -1.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I'm hot blooded, check it and see
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    What really pisses me off is when I watch two of my favorite chefs - Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey - and they're like "start with 100 grams of flour."  Ok, so, like, 1 1/6 cups?  Let me get my 1/6 measuring cup out. Oh, yeah, we're base-2 and don't measure shit in sixths. Let me get out my graduated 1/4 measuring cup and fill it halfway between 1/8 and 1/4.

Canada is pretty brutal too, but it's because of you yankees. You fucked us with your stupid measurement system. Now we've got it all mixed together. Most people here still use cups to measure larger amounts, but we use milliliters to measure small amounts. We usually talk about body weight and height in pounds, feet, and inches, but we use kilometers for distance and gas mileage, unless it's in casual conversation, where we go either way. We use centimeters and inches, depending on the context. We all know that 12 inches and 30 cm is a standard ruler length, so tend to switch back and forth between the two randomly, lol. But then we mostly have no idea how much a fluid ounce is, really, but we only refer to large quantities of weed in ounces... but smaller quantities in grams. :dizzy:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • FoxyRedLa said:
    Hmmm... How do I check without being too forward? ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

Canada is pretty brutal too, but it's because of you yankees. You fucked us with your stupid measurement system. Now we've got it all mixed together. Most people here still use cups to measure larger amounts, but we use milliliters to measure small amounts. We usually talk about body weight and height in pounds, feet, and inches, but we use kilometers for distance and gas mileage, unless it's in casual conversation, where we go either way. We use centimeters and inches, depending on the context. We all know that 12 inches and 30 cm is a standard ruler length, so tend to switch back and forth between the two randomly, lol. But then we mostly have no idea how much a fluid ounce is, really, but we only refer to large quantities of weed in ounces... but smaller quantities in grams. :dizzy:
    :lol:

I heard a coworker state at work today that it's so cold in Canada that the windows are cracking!? Is that true??!
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Hmmm... How do I check without being too forward? ;)
    Just look at my feet, a good buddy lent me all his socks :smiley:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    It's so cold my shit froze, literally. Had to call the septic company today to come pump because the alarm went off on the tank. The diagnosis wasn't good. Everything is getting to the tank outside, but the damn drain field line is most likely frozen, which means the waste water can't escape the tank. The only solution is we have to wait until spring thaw and then have the lines cleaned out for a hefty fee to avoid a future issue.

It's always really nice when the shit pumper tells you they warned the home owners before us about this issue, but they refused to pony up and pay to get it taken care of. Now we're on severe water conservation for 4 months so we don't have to get our 2000 gallon tanks pumped every frickin week. Screw this polar vortex.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    41c
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    PJ_Soul said:

Preach!  It's completely fubar! 

tbergs said:
    It's so cold my shit froze, literally. Had to call the septic company today to come pump because the alarm went off on the tank. The diagnosis wasn't good. Everything is getting to the tank outside, but the damn drain field line is most likely frozen, which means the waste water can't escape the tank. The only solution is we have to wait until spring thaw and then have the lines cleaned out for a hefty fee to avoid a future issue.

It's always really nice when the shit pumper tells you they warned the home owners before us about this issue, but they refused to pony up and pay to get it taken care of. Now we're on severe water conservation for 4 months so we don't have to get our 2000 gallon tanks pumped every frickin week. Screw this polar vortex.
    Holy crap!  That sucks.  I hope that it doesn't turn out to be obscenely expensive.

41c
    Frak!  That's disgustingly hot.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    42c (107.6f)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I finally pulled the trigger and bought that air conditioner. Yaaaay. I am almost looking forward to summer now. Just kidding. I'm still dreading it. But it will be a lot better now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    PJ_Soul said:
    I finally pulled the trigger and bought that air conditioner. Yaaaay. I am almost looking forward to summer now. Just kidding. I'm still dreading it. But it will be a lot better now.
    Did you go with the Commando 8?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    PJ_Soul said:
    Even better - mine's14,000 BTUs compared to a paltry 12,000 on the Commando 8.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Even better - mine's14,000 BTUs compared to a paltry 12,000 on the Commando 8.
    Haha

To be fair, the Commando 8's technology is 20+ years lacking....

chinese-happy.jpg
    :rofl:
    Canadians need air conditioning?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Just the wimpy ones 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    so you wackos who set it to 60 in the winter time....what do you do in the summer time? 50?? last winter, i reconsidered my line of thinking with this and dropped it to 66 at night, 64 in the day. summer time......been coasting at 72 during day and 70 at night. what say you?

In New Jersey, with oil heat, I set the thermostats to 60 at night, 64 during the day; I splurged I went to 65 the last winter we were there. I was always cold, wore fleece-lined shoes indoors, hand warmers, the works. The house was big and drafty,and our family room would register in the low 50's without the fireplace going.

In the summertime, I would set the A/C to 78 during the day (unless it was brutally hot outdoors, then I set it as high as we could tolerate, 80-82, 83), lower at night so we could sleep.

I'm not a fan of A/C. Now that we live in SoCal, I run the A/C 2-3 nights/year, again to allow us to sleep. We're in a coastal area, so it rarely gets super hot. During the "winter," I set the thermostat at 68 during the day; I moved here because I was tired of being cold, so I'm not going to shiver through January. I set it to 62 at night, but the furnace never kicks on.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Air conditioning and heating should be set at 22c.
    Comfort zone.
    Just the wimpy ones 
    What is hot that necessitates air con in Canada?

Stop talking farenheit lol
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Just the wimpy ones 
    What is hot that necessitates air con in Canada?

The sun.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    edited January 2018
    Just the wimpy ones 

:lol: It totally gets super hot in Canada Thoughts_Arrive. Sometimes well into the 40s in some places, during heat waves. I'm in Vancouver, so during a heat wave it reaches the 30s (I think the hottest it's been in Vancouver is probably about 38C). But even when it's just 24C+, which is completely average in the summer, and it's usually somewhat humid, and my apartment gets up to 30C+ and it holds it through the night, so yeah, I really need an air conditioner... And yes, I'm a heat wimp. I think 20C is too warm! Unfortunately, 20C isn't hot at all here. I'm just a walking furnace and hate warm weather. My ideal temp is maybe 12C or below.
    FWIW, it is getting hotter and hotter here on the west coast thanks to climate change. Everyone will need an air conditioner soon enough. They say the climate will be more like San Diego by 2050. :frowning:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    That's hot enough
    edited November 2023
    I have not yet turned the heat on. Glen Fry is rolling in his grave.

How about you?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rectal or oral?
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    rectal or oral?
    Haha. Your cheeky remark just made my day, smart ass.