The Train's Lounge Car

Comments

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited December 2017
    This woman is wonderful.
    Loreena McKennitt, this is from Nights at the Alhambra.
    Called Dante's prayer, Give It a spin.
    Hope you all like it.

https://youtu.be/UdZO2Au0pqE
    & The Bonny Swans. This is pretty interesting stuff.  Watch this one & your gonna say wow!
    https://youtu.be/SdRsRuGqDC8
    Post edited by RYME on
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    hedonist said:
    Gah!  You know how I feel about PG, Thirty.

Got some B&W Roy here - right around mid-way, what a (pearl) jam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk

And Tom Waits on piano! 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thanks, Thirty :)  And yes, love Tom in this, kce!

This may not be my 2018 mantra, but for tonight it sure as hell is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45ZSIeSsmwI
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    RYME said:
    This woman is wonderful.
    Hope you all like it.

& The Bonny Swans. This is pretty interesting stuff.  Watch this one & your gonna say wow!

Thanks for sharing this RYME :)
    edited January 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    RYME said:
    This woman is wonderful.
    Hope you all like it.

Thanks for sharing this RYME :)
    I'm glad you liked that. She does not  tour much, I saw her in 2008 Madison Wisconsin unbelievable show she puts on.  They played this song and midway through it I thought how familiar this riff or rhythm sounds.  I had to think for a minute while I was sitting there I thought to myself,  this sounds a little like Immortality.
    Here is probably one of my favorite songs of hers Beneath a Phrygian Sky!!
     See if you guys/gails feel the same way or can hear it. Total coincidence I'm sure but it sounds familiar.
    Listening to  Loreena McKennitt goes really well with a fireplace burning and a bottle of good bourbon or a good Merlot.
    https://youtu.be/kRLo5fZpMy4
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited January 2018
    Ok, here's one more neat song called 
    The Mystics Dream

https://youtu.be/btSriBuWNGM
    Post edited by RYME on
    We were listening quite often to Loreena McKennitt's "The Book of secrets" sitting around the campfire in the late 90s.
    Brings up a lot of memories.
    She has such a great voice and her songs are beautiful, so emotional and mystical. I remember that I was a little disappointed when I learned she was from Canada. lol  (We were into all that celtic stuff for a while back then.
    Even that we usually listened to really different music, at a campfire it was just perfect! 
    I think the original version of Dantes Prayer was one of my brother's and also my best friends wedding song. 
    edited January 2018
    kce8 said:
    We were listening quite often to Loreena McKennitt's "The Book of secrets" sitting around the campfire in the late 90s.
    She has such a great voice and her songs are beautiful, so emotional and mystical. I remember that I was a little disappointed when I learned she was from Canada. lol  (We were into all that celtic stuff for a while back then.
    Even that we usually listened to really different music, at a campfire it was just perfect! 
    I think the original version of Dantes Prayer was one of my brother's and also my best friends wedding song. 
     :) Her music for me is good winter Music.  I like to sit by my wood stove with a stiff drink and just indulge once in a while.
    In 1999, I had never heard of her, until one day,
    I was driving from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon where I got a job guiding Mule rides.  (Yes I guided mule rides at the Grand Canyon the summer of 99, quite awesome to ride down & up it every day and get payed for it.) 
    So in my beat up pickup truck that I had at the time,  I went out to Salt Lake City, & went South of course.  On a Salt Lake radio station, I cought this song of hers that blew my mind combined with Utah's beauty.  It was one of those magical mystical experiences.  At the end of the song they did not say who it was.  An obscure song on an obscure radio station in Salt Lake City I thought I'd never hear the song again or figure out who the heck it was, but two or three years later I heard it on a Chicago 93xrt radio station and they said who it was and I pulled over so I could write it down elated as hell because now I could buy & collect her stuff.  ;)
    9 years later I got to see her in person in Madison Wisconsin.
    Mummers Dance enjoy!!
    https://youtu.be/qxTpvA-pUG0
    That's my wood stove and those 2 freaky weird portraits above were painted by my late great-great-aunt.  Very German she she was.

Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:
     :) Her music for me is good winter Music.  I like to sit by my wood stove with a stiff drink and just indulge once in a while.
    I was driving from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon where I got a job guiding Mule rides.  (Yes I guided mule rides at the Grand Canyon the summer of 99, quite awesome to ride down & up it every day and get payed for it.) 
    So in my beat up pickup truck that I had at the time,  I went out to Salt Lake City, & went South of course.  On a Salt Lake radio station, I cought this song of hers that blew my mind combined with Utah's beauty.  It was one of those magical mystical experiences.  At the end of the song they did not say who it was.  An obscure song on an obscure radio station in Salt Lake City I thought I'd never hear the song again or figure out who the heck it was, but two or three years later I heard it on a Chicago 93xrt radio station and they said who it was and I pulled over so I could write it down elated as hell because now I could buy & collect her stuff.  ;)
    Mummers Dance enjoy!!
    That's my wood stove and those 2 freaky weird portraits above were painted by my late great-great-aunt.  Very German she she was.

=) That's funny stuff.. 
    So your family comes from Germany? Definitely from the south of Germany, looks Bavarian... or from Black Forest.
    (I always have to admit that Bavaria is just a small part of Germany) :lol:
    Very interesting, I would like to know where they exactly came from. Do you know when your aunt did paint them? 
    edited January 2018
    kce8 said:
    RYME said:
    kce8 said:
    Mummers Dance enjoy!!

=) That's funny stuff.. 
    So your family comes from Germany? Definitely from the south of Germany, looks Bavarian... or from Black Forest.
    (I always have to admit that Bavaria is just a small part of Germany) :lol:
    Very interesting, I would like to know where they exactly came from. Do you know when your aunt did paint them? 
    I am a mutt Irish German Italian and Dutch.  My great-great-aunt was 100 years old when she died peacefully in 1994. And I said I want those paintings of hers. No I don't know what part of Germany she was from but I can probably ask someone in my family that keeps track of that stuff.  She painted them when she was in her 20s when she still lived in Germany that I do know.  If you want I'll try to take a better picture of each one of those they're pretty cool, both done on canvas, kind of freaky that's why I like it them & they are both one of a kind. ;)
    My New Year's resolution is I'm going to stay out of the moving trains political zone, and live in the lounge car where I can drink my ass off and talk about music or fun stuff only.  Much nicer. ;)
    Post edited by RYME on
    So if I got that right that means these paintings are about 100 years old! That's impressive. 
    That freaky traditional style is still important down in the south of Germany. :lol: That's why I said that part is different or unique. People are wearing their traditional garbs (is that the right word?) at special events, it's like a kilt, colours and styles are telling a story about the person (location, civil status etc.)

That still leads the rest of the world thinking that all Germans are wearing stuff like that! :lol:
    In the last years it became a trend to have all these Octoberfests everywhere in the country and even young people are showing up in cheap garbs for fun. Even in my area, the middle of Germany. Not my thing. I hate the music they play there. German Schlager brrrr.. but there must be something wrong with me anyways because I also don't like beer - I prefer whisky ;)

So yes, if you get the chance to ask somebody about it, I would like to know where they came from. There are so many interesting stories about people there. Why and how they left the country (could be pretty obvious around that time) - your family surely got some very exciting stories to tell. My dad is still trying to put his dads family tree together. Things just got lost during the war. That's so sad because it's the only part of my family who came from another part of Europe or even another area. 

I normally only read here because of the language barrier. Still too complicated for me to keep up, I don't have enough time and sometimes don't get the stuff properly so no heated discussions for me :lol:
    edited January 2018
    kce8 said:
    So if I got that right that means these paintings are about 100 years old! That's impressive. 
    That freaky traditional style is still important down in the south of Germany. :lol: That's why I said that part is different or unique. People are wearing their traditional garbs (is that the right word?) at special events, it's like a kilt, colours and styles are telling a story about the person (location, civil status etc.)

That still leads the rest of the world thinking that all Germans are wearing stuff like that! :lol:
    In the last years it became a trend to have all these Octoberfests everywhere in the country and even young people are showing up in cheap garbs for fun. Even in my area, the middle of Germany. Not my thing. I hate the music they play there. German Schlager brrrr.. but there must be something wrong with me anyways because I also don't like beer - I prefer whisky ;)

So yes, if you get the chance to ask somebody about it, I would like to know where they came from. There are so many interesting stories about people there. Why and how they left the country (could be pretty obvious around that time) - your family surely got some very exciting stories to tell. My dad is still trying to put his dads family tree together. Things just got lost during the war. That's so sad because it's the only part of my family who came from another part of Europe or even another area. 

I normally only read here because of the language barrier. Still too complicated for me to keep up, I don't have enough time and sometimes don't get the stuff properly so no heated discussions for me :lol:
    Oh so if I read you right you live in Germany or you are German you must be German awesome!!
    I love beer from every Walk of Life. 
    My wife is from Lithuania and they've got some fantastic Beer over there!!  I like bourbon and whiskey too.
     My favorite Beer from Lithuania is called Svturys, & Untino's is great too.  All the beers over there have World Beer Cup Awards printed on their labels they're are fantastic.
    Lithuanians pronounce beer (Alous)
     So my wife's family went through a bunch of hard times over there under the Soviet rule and she's got a lot of stories to tell about her Grandpa and parts of her family that are still all torn up.  So she knows what it's like living under a regime like that because it was 1994 when the Soviets lost their grip.   So as young girl into her late teens early twenties she was living it.
    I'm from Wisconsin United States my wife is from Lithuania as I stated and we go over there every two years to see her parents, family and friends.  I enjoy seeing European culture.  I describe Lithuanians as tough and gritty.  Her dad tough old, hardy man, likes to drink pepper vodka in Pint glasses, lol good Lord!!Lol.
    My wife's family are from Palanga which is on the Baltic Sea, fantastic area and then it's only like A 4 hour drive East to the Capitol Vilnius what a fantastic old Town that is. Anyway kce8,  this is become a fun conversation keep in touch Friend!!, =)
    Post edited by RYME on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nice conversation up there :)  (and kce is a kcshe!)

Quite a history / background on both your parts.  Mine too, with my dad's family being pretty much wiped out during the Holocaust and his subsequent service in WWII.

On that dark note!  This song makes me happy tonight.  I just love Byrne, and the sentiment.

They can tell you what to do
    But they'll make a fool of you
    And it's all right, baby, it's all right
    We're on a road to nowhere

There are times when nowhere is more soothing than somewhere :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhmeG691Xg
    edited January 2018
    hedonist said:
    Nice conversation up there :)  (and kce is a kcshe!)

Quite a history / background on both your parts.  Mine too, with my dad's family being pretty much wiped out during the Holocaust and his subsequent service in WWII.

On that dark note!  This song makes me happy tonight.  I just love Byrne, and the sentiment.

They can tell you what to do
    But they'll make a fool of you
    And it's all right, baby, it's all right
    We're on a road to nowhere

There are times when nowhere is more soothing than somewhere :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARhmeG691Xg
    That's a great song thanks for that here's a song from couple of my favorite artist Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson this one is called Nowhere Road. We're from all walks of life and then we have two songs, totally different genres & two similar almost the same song title.
    https://youtu.be/nq1uLryaTqQ
    Post edited by RYME on
    kcshe - that's me! :lol:  sounds funny hedo ;)

And yep, I'm a German one ;) 
    Thank you hedonist for the Talking Heads reminder, made me jump on YT and watch a couple of the videos... I really enjoy that! 
    I also stumbled over the next one. Sadly I missed this show in Cologne. Love the sound and energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1LRSU6HOmQ

RYME, so nice to hear that you are visiting Europe regularly! I never was in Lithuania before, but I know that your wife was born in a beautiful country. I looked Palanga up and found out that it's not too far away from where my granddad was born in 1911 in East Prussia. :)
    So since maybe 15 years my dad tries to find out more about his family tree but everything got lost during the war there. My parents even tried to find his grandparents house but everything changed since he was a little boy. All we know is that our name and ancestors are coming from France. My grandpa already died in 1995 so dad started way too late to search for his roots! 
    Oh and about the booze... people from the east are badass! I mean pepper vodka? :o  That alone is crazy already but yeah they drink it like water right... haha... and a pint glass is half a Liter right?! OMG... :lol: 

So how are you dealing with the weather in Wisconsin right now? Must be freaking cold there! :s
    edited January 2018
    kce8 said:

Thank you hedonist for the Talking Heads reminder, made me jump on YT and watch a couple of the videos... I really enjoy that! 
    I also stumbled over the next one. Sadly I missed this show in Cologne. Love the sound and energy.

RYME, so nice to hear that you are visiting Europe regularly! I never was in Lithuania before, but I know that your wife was born in a beautiful country. I looked Palanga up and found out that it's not too far away from where my granddad was born in 1911 in East Prussia. :)
    So since maybe 15 years my dad tries to find out more about his family tree but everything got lost during the war there. My parents even tried to find his grandparents house but everything changed since he was a little boy. All we know is that our name and ancestors are coming from France. My grandpa already died in 1995 so dad started way too late to search for his roots! 
    Oh and about the booze... people from the east are badass! I mean pepper vodka? :o  That alone is crazy already but yeah they drink it like water right... haha... and a pint glass is half a Liter right?! OMG... :lol: 

So how are you dealing with the weather in Wisconsin right now? Must be freaking cold there! :s
    kce8 said:

Nice of you to ask about the weather.  It's been in the single digits, or below 0 since Christmas.  It was -11 Fahrenheit this morning when I went out the door to go to work at 4:AM. So you're in Germany you must use the Celsius, so that's -23.8 Celsius.
    How's the weather in Central Germany this time of year?
    Anyway these pint glasses of peppered vodka don't phase the guy, the guy being my wife's dad.  My father-in-law.  It's funny,,,light bothers his eyes he's not blind but he wears sunglasses all day long indoors too.  It's funny, he has black tea and a small breakfast right away, & then like around 8:30-9:00 am, he sits in the kitchen or on the porch sunglasses on and lights up his cigarette & pours himself a glass of pepper vodka offers me some every time....  (He is 78 years old.) & then starts his day after that.  He likes to tend his garden during the day,. We always visit around June or July so he's always tending his garden at that time of year very important to him,, he has his garden in a greenhouse cuz the growing season is so short there and oftentimes not very warm. B)   He refules himself with another glass of pepper vodka about every two hours.lol.
    He always offers me some every time and I had one sip of it once and damn near choked to death lol,, so I say no thanks and just stick with beer.(Alous). He laughs at me every time I say (no thank you). Pronounced in Lithuanian, (Na Atchu)
    Lithuania is actually called (Lietuva)

Anyway here are some better pictures of these Bavarian paintings as you say, and then I'll play a song.

By the way, Where are you from, or where do you live Hedonist if I may ask??

Post edited by RYME on
    edited January 2018

Anyway it's time to play a song.
    Here's a girl named Martha Berner, friend of mine from my hometown.  I decided to play this song here because it's called Good Company. 
    And I consider you folks good company. :)  And Good Company Is Hard to Find.
    https://youtu.be/16q-LuRDxU0
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited January 2018
    I'm just loving this music right now must be the cold weather.
    This song is called Never-Ending Road, quite the polar opposite to the Nowhere Road, or Road to Nowhere.
    https://youtu.be/AGjwf34USiM
    And then here's another one I like a lot called All Souls Night!
    Cheers!!
    https://youtu.be/uTGKoRn7vU8
    Post edited by RYME on
    edited January 2018

& With a few songs about dead end roads, I started thinking about songs where The Road Goes On Forever & The Party Never Ends. =)
    That's the camp I'm in.. Optimism & I'm sure that you are TOO. :)
    https://youtu.be/v3zSp_uhjcI
    Post edited by RYME on
    And then I always like to say
    It Is What It Is, 
    This song describes me very well.
    https://youtu.be/NvWyYZUXvYs
  • kce8 said:

Man, I love Wolfmother.

Good choice here. Thanks for the clip.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

One of my Favourite Songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByR5Dq_0w8E

Thought I share this Photo what I took on my Wonderful Trip to Seattle...

edited January 2018

Well I took a Photo of the Moore Theatre of course lol...It's where the Even Flow film clip was filmed...I had such a Wonderful time when I was in Seattle...and of course very Happy being there...very Scenic City :)

Post edited by i_lov_it on
    edited January 2018
    On my first trip to Lithuania in 2006, just one day after a (Pearl Jam concert, during the Avocado Tour, in the Great Chicago United Center) also my first taste of My Morning Jacket, What a great start to that vacation!
    My wife's cousins took us to see this Island Castle in Lithuania, if you ever get a chance to go, go and see it.  It's outstanding.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trakai_Island_Castle
    Whoops I should never leave the lounge car without dropping a song.
    My first Pearl Jam show was October 8th 2000 Alpine Valley East Troy Wisconsin labeled as the Ice Bowl concert.  27 degrees Fahrenheit at Showtime I think it was.  That's -2.7 Celsius.

https://youtu.be/JKT0nFqt6A4
    Post edited by RYME on
  • I know I've posted this before somewhere in these parts. I was at this show and had my mind blown by this AIC and Gretchen Wilson cover of Barracuda. It's the best live video out there for my liking (it was freaking loud). For those that might have missed it... or for those that want to see a freaking rocker:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqQkECIn738
    "My brain's a good brain!"