What is your temperature?

Comments

• Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    hedonist said:

At home, gotta have the temp either naturally or via AC around 73-77, depending on the weather and whatnot. Nighttime a bit lower - we too sleep better in cooler air.

I'll say this though - in our building, we pay only for electricity (and don't overdo the water thing by any means) - while like PJ_Soul got the fan going all the time on low, we're fairly conservative with our overall use.

Bill for two months ranges $300-$400. Two people, two cats. Less than 700 square feet. Generally conscientious, wasteful once in a blue moon.

Fuck you, DWP. Seriously, fuck you big time.

Shit, I would love a bill that averaged 200 hundred a month. A/C units are now running 24/7 and they are set between 77 and 79. We have a big house with 2 A/C units (one per floor) so our bill averages about 450 a month in the summer. Winter is nice (no real need for heat) so it dips to about 70 a month.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

so you wackos who set it to 60 in the winter time....what do you do in the summer time? 50??

last winter, i reconsidered my line of thinking with this and dropped it to 66 at night, 64 in the day.

summer time......been coasting at 72 during day and 70 at night. what say you?

Again, no insulation can mean when it's 85℉ outside, it's 93℉ in the house. No A/C, but the blower fan comes on intermittently, since the furnace is in the basement, the air is cooled-the dog sleeps in front of the register. I doubt the heat will come on until October.

We 'know a guy' that will install a heat pump with A/C for us at cost. Probably get a solar water heater too.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    RKCNDY said:

so you wackos who set it to 60 in the winter time....what do you do in the summer time? 50??

last winter, i reconsidered my line of thinking with this and dropped it to 66 at night, 64 in the day.

Again, no insulation can mean when it's 85℉ outside, it's 93℉ in the house. No A/C, but the blower fan comes on intermittently, since the furnace is in the basement, the air is cooled-the dog sleeps in front of the register. I doubt the heat will come on until October.

We 'know a guy' that will install a heat pump with A/C for us at cost. Probably get a solar water heater too.
    RKCNDY said:

Do you have insulation?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited June 2015

Do you have insulation?

No, the house was built without it...something about electricity and oil being cheap back then.
    Post edited by RKCNDY on
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    We like to run without A/C if we can in the summer, but our house has no trees, so we are in full sun. It was a lot full of trees right before they sold us the property. I could poke the previous owners in the eye over that.

A/C set to around 73 F. In the winter the heat is set to 68 when we are home, 65 when we sleep, 62 when we aren't home. 68 can seem surprisingly chilly, but we have a wintertime rule-- socks or slippers. When my husband comes to me in shorts and a short sleeved shirt and complains about how cold he is, I remind him that we have sweaters, sweatshirts and pants for a reason. Unless someone is sick, the heat does NOT go above 68 in the winter. The costs would kill us.

Today, the outdoor temp is 91. I'm washing blankets and sheets today. They should dry quickly on the line outside!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    I like a nice 21-22 degrees when I'm home and awake. The rest of the time it's set to 17 degrees. My motto is we live in houses for a reason! I don't want to get dressed up like I'm going outside to hang out on my couch. The furnace gets turned off May/June through Sept. and for cooling in the summer it is a well excuted dance of opening and closing windows and blinds and a fan when needed.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    We use an evaporative cooler, and I love it! Keeps the air moist, though with all the humidity we've had, it hasn't run for a while.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Normal. I'm disappointed. Are you disappointed?

My in laws recently revealed they set their thermostat to 56 degrees! That blew my mind and got me thinking about this thread. Thought I'd give a cooler temp at night some thought. Normally we hover around 67 but each night this week have been inching down a degree to test it out. Last night we were at 63 and may go to 62 tonight. 64 seems like something we can handle consistently moving forward.

These new flannel sheets we got are so warm. Really helps with the lower temps.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! YEAH!!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Our thermostat is set to 68, but the house can’t seem to get warmer than 63. Fuck. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited December 2017
    22 Celsius (another great Swedish invention by the way)

71,6 F it’s a bit too warm I know.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    dankind said:
    Our thermostat is set to 68, but the house can’t seem to get warmer than 63. Fuck. 

You can't get warmer than 63
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    73 year round
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    dankind said:

You can't get warmer than 63

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Just recently bumped the upstairs thermostat to 64 during the day and 65 at night when everyone is up there getting ready for bed. Then it's back down to 64 when the lights go out. I'd go lower but my wife is always cold. I need the breath of fresh cooler air or it makes me feel suffocated, especially when I'm sleeping. I do 67 downstairs in the main living space during the day because it's a larger open area and never seems that warm unless the oven is baking away. Today is -20 without wind chill outside so we're mostly all hunkered down. The slight bit of wind is brutal and freezes the eyelashes within a few minutes.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited December 2017
    I am currently pricing out portable air conditioners. I am planning on a frigid summer indoors. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    21 degrees when I'm home and awake.
    17 degrees during the day when I'm out and at night when sleeping.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I am currently pricing out portable air conditioners. I am planning on a frigid summer indoors. :tongue:
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/224375/what-is-your-temperature/p1
    You said the same thing in 2013. Make a god damned decision already, lady.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    25c.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    19 - 20C in the evening when we're home.  If it's really cool out, we turn on the gas fireplace.

17C at night and during the day
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    19 - 20C in the evening when we're home.  If it's really cool out, we turn on the gas fireplace.

please use the real temperature scale so we americans know what you’re talking about.

:murica:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said: 

please use the real temperature scale so we americans know what you’re talking about.

This is the real temperature scale and until you 'Muricans figure that out you will just have to math.
    =)

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    normal.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know!! :anguished: But this year is the year, lol. I think I finally found one that meets my high standards, lol. I fucked up though. During boxing week it was $200 off, but I didn't buy it then, and now it's back to regular prices.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know!! :anguished: But this year is the year, lol. I think I finally found one that meets my high standards, lol. I fucked up though. During boxing week it was $200 off, but I didn't buy it then, and now it's back to regular prices.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited January 2018
    Wobbie said: 

This is the real temperature scale and until you 'Muricans figure that out you will just have to math.
    =)
    I mean, seriously.  I honestly don't understand why we cling on to all these outdated, inconsistent forms of measurement. For everything.

Length: We have inches. You need 12 of them to make a foot. 3 of them to make a yard. You need 1760 of those to make a mile.
    Weight: We have ounces. You need 16 of them to make a pound. You need 14 of those to make a stone. You need 2000 pounds to make a short ton, and 160 stone to make a long ton (2240 pounds).
    Volume: Ounces again. You need 8 of these kind to make a cup, 2 of those to make a pint, 2 of those to make a quart, and 4 of those to make a gallon.
    I don't even know what the fuck a Fahrenheit degree is. But it takes 32 of them to melt ice and 212 of them to boil water at sea level. So I guess that means a Fahrenheit degree is 1/180th (or 0.00555555...555...) of the interval between boiling and freezing water?

Who the fuck wants to remember all that?  Just use a god damn base-10 system like the rest of the civilized world.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    And not to be outdone... we further fuck it up by abbreviating pound as lb.
    edited January 2018
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM