Oregonians Freaking Out About Having To Pump Their Own Gas

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    what a bizarre thing. there was a law that you couldn't pump your own gas in Oregon? what the actual fuck?
    And in Jersey. Here in Oregon they say it was done to create jobs. 
    That's the idea - to combat youth unemployment. It makes sense and I support it. There are two cities in metro Vancouver that have the same law (and 16% of gas stations in Canada are still full-service). Every other city and municipality around them has self-serve, but these two cities won't allow it because most of the gas station staff would lose their jobs. And people actually view these full-service stations in these two places as a real treat for the most part. It's a luxury to have someone else do it for you when you normally do it yourself. BTW, guess who fought and continues to fight against this law? Why, the gas station owners and oil companies, of course! They want more of that gas money in their own pockets! You do the work, they keep the cash.
    (full-service is also particularly handy for seniors and disabled people)
    Given that the consumer has the full ability to pump gas, I can’t comprehend why the government feels it acceptable to mandate ‘full service’. Toronto has full serve and self serve. I’ve seen some self serve stations become full serve, and vice-versa, as demand changes, because a premium is typically factored into gas prices at full serve stations to pay for the staffing needs and some see the value in the premium while others don’t. 

By this logic, we should all fight automation because it is easiest applied to production-type jobs, which seems absurd to me. It is assanine and unduly overbearing to tell employers they may only optimize processes until there comes the potential to remove employees, and it goes against core tenets of capitalism that we have the right to control our input and our efficiency to produce output.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    edited January 2018
    benjs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    what a bizarre thing. there was a law that you couldn't pump your own gas in Oregon? what the actual fuck?
    That's the idea - to combat youth unemployment. It makes sense and I support it. There are two cities in metro Vancouver that have the same law (and 16% of gas stations in Canada are still full-service). Every other city and municipality around them has self-serve, but these two cities won't allow it because most of the gas station staff would lose their jobs. And people actually view these full-service stations in these two places as a real treat for the most part. It's a luxury to have someone else do it for you when you normally do it yourself. BTW, guess who fought and continues to fight against this law? Why, the gas station owners and oil companies, of course! They want more of that gas money in their own pockets! You do the work, they keep the cash.
    Given that the consumer has the full ability to pump gas, I can’t comprehend why the government feels it acceptable to mandate ‘full service’. Toronto has full serve and self serve. I’ve seen some self serve stations become full serve, and vice-versa, as demand changes, because a premium is typically factored into gas prices at full serve stations to pay for the staffing needs and some see the value in the premium while others don’t. 

By this logic, we should all fight automation because it is easiest applied to production-type jobs, which seems absurd to me. It is assanine and unduly overbearing to tell employers they may only optimize processes until there comes the potential to remove employees, and it goes against core tenets of capitalism that we have the right to control our input and our efficiency to produce output.
    I get what you’re saying, but it’s been in place for ages and the logic hasn’t spread across other industries. In Oregon, there tends to be more of a do it yourself mindset that the government encourages in a lot of ways outside of the gas pumping rule. 

Also, no one has mentioned but there’s also the issue of spilling the gas with self-serve that adds up significantly. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    is youth unemployment really that big an issue that something needs to be made law to combat it? Forcing an industry to hire people they don't need/want because of a societal issue? Yes, gas companies make a killing. the owner/operators of gas stations do not. So forcing them to hire people to solve this problem is not right.

I just read an article about youth employment in Winnipeg, and of course it's a "crisis" because so many kids are unemployed. But you speak to any business owner who employs lower-skilled jobs, it's a nightmare to fill those positions because youth of today simply don't want to work for what they deem "inadequate pay and benefits" (or they are staying in school and living with their parents much longer than previous generations). Fuck me. I worked for years for nearly minimum wage and zero benefits. Was I stupid? No. I had work ethic, and as a young person, I simply didn't require the benefits people are screaming about today. the businesses I worked for simply would not have survived if they had to pay out "living wages" and benefits to their zero-skilled workers. I lived on my own on $6 an hour with my girlfriend who also made minimum wage and tips. No sick days. No holidays. NOTHING. But youth today are expecting all this shit for working at Tim Horton's/Starbucks with zero skills and education. My wife says her experience in trying to hire low-skilled people in today's day is a fucking nightmare with how entitled these people are. 

I understand that it is important to lift up certain sectors of society so they can live off their earnings, even if they are minimal. I'd like to poll many of these people, however, who are crying for a living wage and ask them what their cell phone bill is every month. I'm not trying to sound like an old man here, but seriously,  many youth of today simply do not have their priorities straight when it comes to this stuff. 

do we really want to pay people enough money in these no-skill jobs so they STAY in those jobs and don't make room for the youth coming up in the next generation? Those jobs are meant for young people, not poor adults that want to live semi-comfortably on those wages. What is the motivation to better yourself if there's no reason to?

This $15 minimum wage thing seems a bit crazy to me. When I got hired where I work now, I made less than that (10 years ago). At an OFFICE JOB that required some level of experience and/or education. 
    I totally support using regulation to force big money industries to provide employment. If we were talking small businesses that are barely scraping by it would be different (though I still support increasing the minimum wage, just because governments fucked it all up; if they had increased it gradually and fairly over the past many years, a sudden big increase now wouldn't be an issue. But since they did that, now there is no other option), and that is why this law does only very specifically apply to gas stations and no one else. It's not hard to restrict it in this way, and I'm ALWAYS okay with regulating the gas and oil industry. They clearly need it, since without they abuse everything. But yeah, I think it's very reasonable to force the oil and gas industry to provide some good in communities when they would otherwise do everything they can to reduce service for customers and restrict employment to line their already stuffed pockets. As for jobs being "meant" for young people as opposed to older people.... I think that's hogwash. I think ALL people who work deserve a living wage. Their age is irrelevant. I think someone who pumps gas full time has just as much of a right to be able to support him or herself (or do whatever else they feel like doing with the money) as anyone else does. And I think any adult has every right in the world to decide that they are only cut out to work at a gas station, for whatever reason. The point is, all people who work full time should get paid enough to keep a roof over their heads if that's what they need to do. If they don't need to pay for the roof, then absolutely nobody can dictate what else they might do for the money, including spending it all on their data plan.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    is youth unemployment really that big an issue that something needs to be made law to combat it? Forcing an industry to hire people they don't need/want because of a societal issue? Yes, gas companies make a killing. the owner/operators of gas stations do not. So forcing them to hire people to solve this problem is not right.

I just read an article about youth employment in Winnipeg, and of course it's a "crisis" because so many kids are unemployed. But you speak to any business owner who employs lower-skilled jobs, it's a nightmare to fill those positions because youth of today simply don't want to work for what they deem "inadequate pay and benefits" (or they are staying in school and living with their parents much longer than previous generations). Fuck me. I worked for years for nearly minimum wage and zero benefits. Was I stupid? No. I had work ethic, and as a young person, I simply didn't require the benefits people are screaming about today. the businesses I worked for simply would not have survived if they had to pay out "living wages" and benefits to their zero-skilled workers. I lived on my own on $6 an hour with my girlfriend who also made minimum wage and tips. No sick days. No holidays. NOTHING. But youth today are expecting all this shit for working at Tim Horton's/Starbucks with zero skills and education. My wife says her experience in trying to hire low-skilled people in today's day is a fucking nightmare with how entitled these people are. 

I understand that it is important to lift up certain sectors of society so they can live off their earnings, even if they are minimal. I'd like to poll many of these people, however, who are crying for a living wage and ask them what their cell phone bill is every month. I'm not trying to sound like an old man here, but seriously,  many youth of today simply do not have their priorities straight when it comes to this stuff. 

do we really want to pay people enough money in these no-skill jobs so they STAY in those jobs and don't make room for the youth coming up in the next generation? Those jobs are meant for young people, not poor adults that want to live semi-comfortably on those wages. What is the motivation to better yourself if there's no reason to?

This $15 minimum wage thing seems a bit crazy to me. When I got hired where I work now, I made less than that (10 years ago). At an OFFICE JOB that required some level of experience and/or education. 
    I totally support using regulation to force big money industries to provide employment. If we were talking small businesses that are barely scraping by it would be different, and that is why this law does only very specifically apply to gas stations and no one else. It's not hard to restrict it in this way, and I'm ALWAYS okay with regulating the gas and oil industry. They clearly need it, since without they abuse everything. But yeah, I think it's very reasonable to force the oil and gas industry to provide some good in communities when they would otherwise do everything they can to reduce service for customers and restrict employment to line their already stuffed pockets. As for jobs being "meant" for young people as opposed to older people.... I think that's hogwash. I think ALL people who work deserve a living wage. Their age is irrelevant. I think someone who pumps gas full time has just as much of a right to be able to support him or herself (or do whatever else they feel like doing with the money) as anyone else does. And I think any adult has every right in the world to decide that they are only cut out to work at a gas station, for whatever reason. The point is, all people who work full time should get paid enough to keep a roof over their heads if that's what they need to do. If they don't need to pay for the roof, then absolutely nobody can dictate what else they might do for the money, including spending it all on their data plan.
    but we're not talking about the gas industry here. we are talking about a small business owner. believe me, I worked for people who owned a gas station. they don't make much. the gas industry doesn't get hit by this regulation, the business owner does. if anything, give the business owner a tax break for employing those people and turn around and tax the corporation who owns the gas. but this way is only hurting the small business owner. 

hogwash. um, alright. my point is that if you pay these menial jobs too much, you will have people taking them so they make enough money doing that without having to put in any real effort in life. sure, there are many that this is their only opportunity, as they came from broken homes, single parents, or they are immigrants, or whathaveyou, I don't claim to have all the answers, but I don't believe in solving these problems by throwing money at them. give people other opportunities like lower tuition, an incentive to do something with their life that will benefit society as a whole. 

I agree, it is everyone's right to work whatever job they want to live. My point was, there needs to be a balance on what that is. I'm saying that I don't think it's necessary to be paying these jobs the amounts people are protesting about to get by, as I think society has shifted in what "getting by" actually means. 

correct, I don't give a shit if someone spends all their money on their data plan. My point was, it's not a necessity. many people in this day and age believe it is. that's just one example. 

on one hand, you are saying nobody can dictate what one does with their money, but I believe it is hypocritical to propose that business owners be dictated what they spend their money on. again, I think you're envisioning taking money from rich fat cat CEO's rather than a small business owner.

I don't get the contradiction of telling someone we can tell you what to do with your money (hire more people they don't need) since you have so much of it and then turning around and telling the small business owner you can do what you want with your money, even if that means screwing over your 2 staff that get shitty wages and long hours without OT and no paid breaks, etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and I do not support, and never will, legal regulation to force companies, rich or otherwise, to provide employment.  you can incentivize them through tax breaks and whatnot, but telling a business you are legally obligated to provide employment that isn't necessary to their model is totally bizarre to me.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    Well I think your main premise it totally wrong. I think your are grossly undervaluing menial work.
    I also think that, while yeah, it hurts now for the reason I already mentioned, there is no way around it for smaller businesses either. The economy has to correct itself now, to make sure that workers are fairly paid. That is priority #1 as far as I'm concerned. If that means "growing pains" for business owners, so be it. Nobody said fixing so many fuck ups would be easy or painless.
    I don't see it as a contradiction as you do, because I don't hold businesses and corporations to the same standards as individual workers. Pretty simple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    how am I undervaluing menial work? I'm not at all. I did it for years, quite happily, and very low paid. Not underpaid. I got paid what the work was worth. it was hard. Harder than my job now. But it required no special skill. I learned it and was extremely good at it. But there was no education or experience required for the job. That does and should mean something.

And I lived on my own no problem. 

the issue here is what is fair. I'd have to look at inflation trends to know the specifics, but I can't say that $15 an hour plus benefits for working the cash register at Tim's is sensible. Now, that amount will and should vary from region to region, as your standard of living in Vancouver is much higher than it is in Winnipeg. I did notice that your minimum wage is only 20 cents higher than ours, which I find outrageous, given how much it costs to live in Vancouver as compared to Winnipeg. 

how am I holding businesses and corporations to the same standards as individuals? my comment was only comparing big corp vs small business. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The US is such a weird country. 
    Not being able to pump your own gas could be the premise of a Twilight Zone episode. 
    Yep.
    America, where you can buy an assault rifle at the gas station, but you can't pump your own gas lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Not being able to pump your own gas could be the premise of a Twilight Zone episode. 
    Yep.
    America, where you can buy an assault rifle at the gas station, but you can't pump your own gas lol
    excellent point. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    how am I undervaluing menial work? I'm not at all. I did it for years, quite happily, and very low paid. Not underpaid. I got paid what the work was worth. it was hard. Harder than my job now. But it required no special skill. I learned it and was extremely good at it. But there was no education or experience required for the job. That does and should mean something.

the issue here is what is fair. I'd have to look at inflation trends to know the specifics, but I can't say that $15 an hour plus benefits for working the cash register at Tim's is sensible. Now, that amount will and should vary from region to region, as your standard of living in Vancouver is much higher than it is in Winnipeg. I did notice that your minimum wage is only 20 cents higher than ours, which I find outrageous, given how much it costs to live in Vancouver as compared to Winnipeg. 

how am I holding businesses and corporations to the same standards as individuals? my comment was only comparing big corp vs small business. 
    And I was comparing individuals to businesses, and you claimed I was contradicting myself. I was just explaining my perspective in response to your comment towards me.

IMO the current minimum wage in many, many places is necessarily underpayment, because I believe that ALL people who work full time should at least be able to live at a certain basic level (which does include being able to pay for internet btw, along with rent, bills, clothes, food, transportation, medicine, hygienic and other household products, basic furniture, and a little bit for entertainment), and current minimum wage does not do that. So that is why I think you are undervaluing menial work. Of course special skills and education and experience mean something. That's why those with such qualifications get paid more than minimum wage, and the more skilled, educated, or experienced they are, the further away they get from that baseline that minimum wage workers should be earning. THAT is fair. Now, I don't think minimum wage should be the same everywhere. I mean, $15 in Winnipeg is WAY different that $15 in Vancouver. You still can't even pay for a roof over your head on $15/hr in Vancouver, but in Winnipeg and some other places I'm sure that is more than enough. In some places the current minimum wage is already adequate, and in other places it is egregiously low.
    PJ_Soul said:

And I was comparing individuals to businesses, and you claimed I was contradicting myself. I was just explaining my perspective in response to your comment towards me.

IMO the current minimum wage in many, many places is necessarily underpayment, because I believe that ALL people who work full time should at least be able to live at a certain basic level (which does include being able to pay for internet btw, along with rent, bills, clothes, food, transportation, medicine, and a little bit for entertainment), and current minimum wage does not do that. So that is why I think you are undervaluing menial work. Of course special skills and education and experience mean something. That's why those with such qualifications get paid more than minimum wage, and the more skilled, educated, or experienced they are, the further away they get from that baseline that minimum wage workers should be earning. THAT is fair. Now, I don't think minimum wage should be the same everywhere. I mean, $15 in Winnipeg is WAY different that $15 in Vancouver. You still can't even pay for a roof over your head on $15/hr in Vancouver, but in Winnipeg and some other places I'm sure that is more than enough. In some places the current minimum wage is already adequate, and in other places it is egregiously low.
    yeah, the bolded part is the exact point I made in the post you were responding to. Did you not read it?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

IMO the current minimum wage in many, many places is necessarily underpayment, because I believe that ALL people who work full time should at least be able to live at a certain basic level (which does include being able to pay for internet btw, along with rent, bills, clothes, food, transportation, medicine, and a little bit for entertainment), and current minimum wage does not do that. So that is why I think you are undervaluing menial work. Of course special skills and education and experience mean something. That's why those with such qualifications get paid more than minimum wage, and the more skilled, educated, or experienced they are, the further away they get from that baseline that minimum wage workers should be earning. THAT is fair. Now, I don't think minimum wage should be the same everywhere. I mean, $15 in Winnipeg is WAY different that $15 in Vancouver. You still can't even pay for a roof over your head on $15/hr in Vancouver, but in Winnipeg and some other places I'm sure that is more than enough. In some places the current minimum wage is already adequate, and in other places it is egregiously low.
    yeah, the bolded part is the exact point I made in the post you were responding to. Did you not read it?
    Yeah I did.... Why are you being so snarky, even what I agree with you? lol
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Always thought that law was stupid. Have family in Oregon and I feel like such a waste of time. If you go at off hours there might only be 1 person working the store who has to run in to work the cash register, back out to pump, help other customers. I've waited over 10 minutes to just get the pump started before.
    You go at busy times they might have more employees, but then there's a line of people waiting. I've almost never found it convenient. 
    And for those who lived in OR their whole life and don't know how to do it, I would imagine every gas station will have a full service option for years to come. I remember most gas stations in California had a full service lane until the mid 90's they faded out when no one used them.
    I'm not being snarky. I thought it was odd to make an identical point, which lead me to believe  you didn't read my whole post. that's why i asked, and didn't accuse. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm not being snarky. I thought it was odd to make an identical point, which lead me to believe  you didn't read my whole post. that's why i asked, and didn't accuse. 
    I was just outlining my viewpoints.
    mace1229 said:
    Always thought that law was stupid. Have family in Oregon and I feel like such a waste of time. If you go at off hours there might only be 1 person working the store who has to run in to work the cash register, back out to pump, help other customers. I've waited over 10 minutes to just get the pump started before.
    You go at busy times they might have more employees, but then there's a line of people waiting. I've almost never found it convenient. 
    And for those who lived in OR their whole life and don't know how to do it, I would imagine every gas station will have a full service option for years to come. I remember most gas stations in California had a full service lane until the mid 90's they faded out when no one used them.
    I do prefer stations that have both self-serve and full-serve. Having a choice is always nice..... That said, y'all should gtfo of your cars when at all possible and this wouldn't be an issue. ;)
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    rgambs said:
    Yep.
    Serious question, is that a real thing?
    I've never seen it or even heard of a gas station selling guns. But I didn't know private party sales were legal without a background check or going through a licensed dealer until a few years ago because I've always lived where private party sales and "gun show loopholes" were illegal. 
    even when I'm at full serve, which I pretty much always am (co op membership), I still get out and pump my own gas and tell the attendant to take a load off. they always look at me like I'm an alien. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    mace1229 said:
    I suppose it sepends on location and time of day, but I’ve rarely had to wait over a minute for the attendant. 
    edited January 2018
    even when I'm at full serve, which I pretty much always am (co op membership), I still get out and pump my own gas and tell the attendant to take a load off. they always look at me like I'm an alien. 
    Do people still tip gas station attendants (I know I tip the guy who fills my propane tank)? Maybe that is why they look at you sideways.... you're robbing them of a potential tip. :lol:;)
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    PJ_Soul said:
    Do people still tip gas station attendants (I know I tip the guy who fills my propane tank)? Maybe that is why they look at you sideways.... you're robbing them of a potential tip. :lol:;)
    Waiters/waitresses and barbers are the only people I tip
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    still? what do mean, still? I doubt anyone in winnipeg has ever tipped a gas station guy, never mind still. :lol:

I think they are just not used to cantankerous winnipeggers being nice to them. Friendly Manitoba my ASS. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't go crazy tipping - like, fuck off with those tip jars by the register in coffee shops and retail stores, lol. But, besides servers, bartenders, and my hair stylist, I also tip anyone who does manual labour for me specifically. I.e. mattress and furniture delivery men, movers, and the guy who lugs my propane tanks around. Also people who I rely on to keep my stuff safe, i.e. coat check attendants. They really will take better care of my stuff if I tip them a little bit. And valets of course - I am car free, but I'll tip on behalf of my car driving friends. And if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford maid service, I'd certainly tip them.
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't go crazy tipping - like, fuck off with those tip jars by the register in coffee shops and retail stores, lol. But, besides servers, bartenders, and my hair stylist, I also tip anyone who does manual labour for me specifically. I.e. mattress and furniture delivery men, movers, and the guy who lugs my propane tanks around. Also people who I rely on to keep my stuff safe, i.e. coat check attendants. They really will take better care of my stuff if I tip them a little bit. And valets of course - I am car free, but I'll tip on behalf of my car driving friends. And if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford maid service, I'd certainly tip them.
    you go through a lot of mattresses, PJ? :lol:

I used to be a much bigger tipper than I am now. I agree, with the cash register tip jar. You didn't fucking move from your spot to do your job, so you ain't getting more than what's on your paycheque from me. i give my change to charity jars, not tip jars. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I used to be a much bigger tipper than I am now. I agree, with the cash register tip jar. You didn't fucking move from your spot to do your job, so you ain't getting more than what's on your paycheque from me. i give my change to charity jars, not tip jars. 
    Lol, no, I think I've had two mattresses delivered in my life, but I tipped them both times!
    I know, right?? I think those cash register tip jar people have a lot of nerve putting those out. They know that some people feel guilted into tipping them when those things are on the counter. It's basically like panhandling while on the job.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A good, old fashioned, cash-whip never goes out of style.  If someone works an hourly labor type of job and they are helpful?  I tip them.  If they work a shitty hourly labor type of job (sky cap or luggage collector dudes especially) I will cash-whip the fuck out of them.
    It is cold out and you hustle?  Bam!
    You drive me somewhere, get out and open my door...and then run back and pull my bags out of the back?  Boom!
    Remember that I like a Ketel Rocks, with small cubes vs. crushed or giant ice?  Whabambam!  (this also gets faster svc next time)
    Hold the door and remember my name?  Pow!

Cash-whipping is a spice of life.  I always show my appreciation for hard workers. 

That being said, I don't tip the gas guys unless they do a bang up job on the windows.  Most leave them dirtier than when they started.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Lol, no, I think I've had two mattresses delivered in my life, but I tipped them both times!
    I know, right?? I think those cash register tip jar people have a lot of nerve putting those out. They know that some people feel guilted into tipping them when those things are on the counter. It's basically like panhandling while on the job.
    as a former restaurant cook, every time now that I go to tip a waitress I'm thinking of the poor slobs in the kitchen fighting the heat over the grill and the poor working conditions and it's the chick who brought me the food they made that gets the tip. when I was a cook, the waitresses had to give us 10%. 10%??? and that was after we all complained. before that the waitress could give us whatever they wanted. even zero. then the manager agreed that they had to give us 10% no matter what (still all on the honour system). I used to tip regardless of service, as long as the food was good. Then I realized, I'm giving 90% of that to the waitress/waiter even though they were a dick? Sometimes if the food was really good and the service was poor, I'll go directly to the kitchen or the manager and request my full tip be given to the cook. 

on those interac machines it should give you an option of who to give your tip to, "kitchen or server or both". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A good, old fashioned, cash-whip never goes out of style.  If someone works an hourly labor type of job and they are helpful?  I tip them.  If they work a shitty hourly labor type of job (sky cap or luggage collector dudes especially) I will cash-whip the fuck out of them.
    You drive me somewhere, get out and open my door...and then run back and pull my bags out of the back?  Boom!
    Remember that I like a Ketel Rocks, with small cubes vs. crushed or giant ice?  Whabambam!  (this also gets faster svc next time)

Cash-whipping is a spice of life.  I always show my appreciation for hard workers. 

That being said, I don't tip the gas guys unless they do a bang up job on the windows.  Most leave them dirtier than when they started.
    Oh yeah, right. Obviously I also tip taxi drivers, unless they're total pricks or try to cheat me somehow.

That is a good idea about the tip option on the mobile interac in restaurants. Every place I worked in when I used to serve and bartend, there was an automatic 10% - 15% that went to the house (spit between kitchen and hostesses). But if the food sucks shit or or whatever, but the server was awesome, or vice versa, it would be nice to have more control over how your tip's distributed. And you're right, good kitchen staff work their asses off (bad kitchen staff or just the fucking WORST though).
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

my philosophy is if you went above and beyond. like some of the stuff you mentioned, and also if I know it will help me later on (faster service next time) I will also do that; win/win. 

I personally thought as a cook I went above and beyond, as I took great pride in my work, and that actually showed where people would come in to eat, ask if I was working, and if I wasn't, either they'd leave or just get a coffee. that was nice and all, but more tip percentage would have been the icing! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don’t fully understand tipping. I receive a salary (fixed compensation per time period with core expectations), and I have a bonus structure based on set measurements of excellence, which my employer incurs. Even a production job (again, fixed compensation per time period with core expectations) can have a measure of excellence, and I don’t know why a client has to incur what’s essentially a variable priced product due to them providing a bonus on behalf of an employer. That is asking your customer to subsidize your employee’s pay, which I just can’t wrap my head around. I wish that entire culture was gone, as I feel it would increase fair pay from employers, and would increase accountability and communications between production workers and their direct reports.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1