Oregonians Freaking Out About Having To Pump Their Own Gas

KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
I can't believe that there are people who do not know how to pump their own gas.  Here is one story on the new law but there are a lot out there.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Oregon-gas-pump-law-reaction-social-media-outrage-12469097.php

Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

Comments

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    I like not having to pump my own gas and you definately get used to. The law only applies to some very rural counties who like to feel good about thinking they’re different than those commies in Portland, etc. 

Some of the comments are genuinely people being dumb, but I wonder if some are tongue in cheek. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited January 2018
    Loved not having to pump gas in Oregon.  Driving to another state drove me bonkers.  How uncivilized!  :)

Edit:  I also hate news stories that use social media as legit reactions.
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I prefer to do it myself....moving to NJ where that is not allowed was strange.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I never realized it was like that in NJ until today.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    KC138045 said:
    I never realized it was like that in NJ until today.
    Only super cold days like today do I wish that I could have someone else pump it.

I am happy to have someone else do it, but it always seems like I have to wait and that pisses me off.

Because I'm American.
    I'm busy.
    I dont wait for shit.

:lol:

Impatient bastard!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Now that my father is gone I will be spending less time in Oregon but one of the things I liked about going there was having my gas pumped.  But it wasn't like, oh my God I wish it were like this everywhere.  It was just one small luxury that made the effort to go up there a bit easier.  Normally I think nothing of doing my own fueling.

I'm sure most people will adjust quickly but the thought that even a few are freaking our about it is a bit sad and pathetic.  What if you need to :  Tie a bowline.  Start a fire with just natural foliage and a match.  Build a shelter.  Tie a tourniquet.  Treat for shock.  Identify an edible wild plant.  Oh, you can't pump your own gas?  Oh my!  Such a weak and vulnerable species we've become.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Oh that thread online was hysterical.   People are so lost.
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I haven't seen a full service gas station in over 25 years.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
    Smellyman said:
    Loved not having to pump gas in Oregon.  Driving to another state drove me bonkers.  How uncivilized!  :)

Reminds me of a stupid moment. I was across the river from Portland in Washington, which looks like any other suburb. I pulled up to get gas and no one came out. I pulled away thinking ‘fine, I’ll go somewhere else’. A minute later I remembered I was in Washington. 
    edited January 2018
    I remember this.  No, seriously!  Two guys would come out of the station in white uniforms with little white caps.  One guy would start pumping while the other cleaned the windshield and checked the oil.  Long time gone!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

There’s a station in town that has the employees dress up kind of like this, and you can fill your growler with beer!
    Smellyman said:

Reminds me of a stupid moment. I was across the river from Portland in Washington, which looks like any other suburb. I pulled up to get gas and no one came out. I pulled away thinking ‘fine, I’ll go somewhere else’. A minute later I remembered I was in Washington. 
    LOL  =)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I'd rather pump my own any day ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    what a bizarre thing. there was a law that you couldn't pump your own gas in Oregon? what the actual fuck?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

what a bizarre thing. there was a law that you couldn't pump your own gas in Oregon? what the actual fuck?
    And in Jersey. Here in Oregon they say it was done to create jobs. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    That's the idea - to combat youth unemployment. It makes sense and I support it. There are two cities in metro Vancouver that have the same law (and 16% of gas stations in Canada are still full-service). Every other city and municipality around them has self-serve, but these two cities won't allow it because most of the gas station staff would lose their jobs. And people actually view these full-service stations in these two places as a real treat for the most part. It's a luxury to have someone else do it for you when you normally do it yourself. BTW, guess who fought and continues to fight against this law? Why, the gas station owners and oil companies, of course! They want more of that gas money in their own pockets! You do the work, they keep the cash.
    (full-service is also particularly handy for seniors and disabled people)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    They aren't being forced to though, correct?  Just a small portion of residents have the option of doing it themselves?

Still, that something so simple and basic as filling your tank freaks some out is beyond me. 

edited January 2018
    The thought of not filling your own tank freaking people out is beyond me.

devil's advocate.

FYI - I have never filled in Taiwan either.  Not sure if law or if all stations are just full service.

to the google machine....
    Post edited by Smellyman on
    Smellyman said:

devil's advocate.

FYI - I have never filled in Taiwan either.  Not sure if law or if all stations are just full service.

Ah, but if you had to, you would, dammit =)

Truth be told, I wouldn't mind full-service if the cost remained the same.
    hedonist said:
    Smellyman said:

devil's advocate.

Oregon’s always cheaper than Cali and most of the time cheaper than Washington 
    hedonist said:
    Smellyman said:

devil's advocate.

Yup, I'm thankful (and fortunate) that I have to fill up only once a month!
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's the idea - to combat youth unemployment. It makes sense and I support it. There are two cities in metro Vancouver that have the same law (and 16% of gas stations in Canada are still full-service). Every other city and municipality around them has self-serve, but these two cities won't allow it because most of the gas station staff would lose their jobs. And people actually view these full-service stations in these two places as a real treat for the most part. It's a luxury to have someone else do it for you when you normally do it yourself. BTW, guess who fought and continues to fight against this law? Why, the gas station owners and oil companies, of course! They want more of that gas money in their own pockets! You do the work, they keep the cash.
    (full-service is also particularly handy for seniors and disabled people)
    is youth unemployment really that big an issue that something needs to be made law to combat it? Forcing an industry to hire people they don't need/want because of a societal issue? Yes, gas companies make a killing. the owner/operators of gas stations do not. So forcing them to hire people to solve this problem is not right.

I just read an article about youth employment in Winnipeg, and of course it's a "crisis" because so many kids are unemployed. But you speak to any business owner who employs lower-skilled jobs, it's a nightmare to fill those positions because youth of today simply don't want to work for what they deem "inadequate pay and benefits" (or they are staying in school and living with their parents much longer than previous generations). Fuck me. I worked for years for nearly minimum wage and zero benefits. Was I stupid? No. I had work ethic, and as a young person, I simply didn't require the benefits people are screaming about today. the businesses I worked for simply would not have survived if they had to pay out "living wages" and benefits to their zero-skilled workers. I lived on my own on $6 an hour with my girlfriend who also made minimum wage and tips. No sick days. No holidays. NOTHING. But youth today are expecting all this shit for working at Tim Horton's/Starbucks with zero skills and education. My wife says her experience in trying to hire low-skilled people in today's day is a fucking nightmare with how entitled these people are. 

I understand that it is important to lift up certain sectors of society so they can live off their earnings, even if they are minimal. I'd like to poll many of these people, however, who are crying for a living wage and ask them what their cell phone bill is every month. I'm not trying to sound like an old man here, but seriously,  many youth of today simply do not have their priorities straight when it comes to this stuff. 

do we really want to pay people enough money in these no-skill jobs so they STAY in those jobs and don't make room for the youth coming up in the next generation? Those jobs are meant for young people, not poor adults that want to live semi-comfortably on those wages. What is the motivation to better yourself if there's no reason to?

This $15 minimum wage thing seems a bit crazy to me. When I got hired where I work now, I made less than that (10 years ago). At an OFFICE JOB that required some level of experience and/or education. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    hedonist said:
    They aren't being forced to though, correct?  Just a small portion of residents have the option of doing it themselves?

Still, that something so simple and basic as filling your tank freaks some out is beyond me. 

iirc only between 6p and 6a in these more rural counties.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    Smellyman said:

devil's advocate.

Lucky!  When I lived in LA I filled up every 2-3 days.  Fuck that!
  • The US is such a weird country. 
    Not being able to pump your own gas could be the premise of a Twilight Zone episode. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    Smellyman said:

devil's advocate.

Lucky!  When I lived in LA I filled up every 2-3 days.  Fuck that!
    Well...a half-mile commute to work helps =)

Less than 3,000 miles a year, baby!  Hopefully this car is the last one I'll have - she's a beaut.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Asked a buddy if mine in NJ why they don't let you pump the gas... he said because it's technically a hazardous material and flammable liquid... best answer I've heard
    my2hands said:
    Asked a buddy if mine in NJ why they don't let you pump the gas... he said because it's technically a hazardous material and flammable liquid... best answer I've heard
    That was the only logical reason I could come up with. But people are allowed to buy lighters for their cigarettes. Oil for their car (or is that illegal to do yourself too?). 

are there too many people hosing others down at the pump and lighting them on fire? just bizarre. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    edited January 2018
    my2hands said:
    That was the only logical reason I could come up with. But people are allowed to buy lighters for their cigarettes. Oil for their car (or is that illegal to do yourself too?). 

are there too many people hosing others down at the pump and lighting them on fire? just bizarre. 
    A lighter or oil won't just combust.

Gas with a little static electricity could.

Bold/italics made me think of this story:

My cousins friend Chris was a frail thing of a man about 15 years older than me.  He lived out in LA area around 1990.  He was in Hawthorne or some shitty area like that and a guy wanted to pump his gas.  He said "no thanks" and went in to pay.  People will do this to get a dollar off you at the gas stations.

When Chris comes out the guy insisted that he pump his gas, again he says "no".

The guy was damn sure hell going to pump Chris' gas and kind of moved him aside while going for the pump handle.

Chris swung around with the pump handle and soaked the guy from head to toe with gas, pulled out a cigarette and lit it and said to the guy "now you can pump my fucking gas!"

Dude high tailed it out of there.

The US is such a weird country. 
    Not being able to pump your own gas could be the premise of a Twilight Zone episode. 
    :lol:

We are rather strange, aren't we!