Powell Movement podcast featuring Jeff Ament

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
edited January 2018 in The Porch

Comments

• Powell as in Powell Peralta?
  • Nice!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Great talk. You really get to know Jeff.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,054
    https://www.alternativenation.net/pearl-jam-finally-reveal-if-theyre-making-a-new-album/

Pearl Jam Finally Reveal If They’re Making A New Album

Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament was recently interviewed on The Powell Movement, and he revealed that Pearl Jam are indeed hard at work on a new album, their first since 2013’s Lightning Bolt. Alternative Nation transcribed his comments.

“We’ve sort of been in writing mode here in Seattle the last couple of months. A typical day is getting together with anywhere from one to four of the guys and making music.”

He also discussed dealing with newfound fame with Pearl Jam in the early 90’s.

“The challenge for me was, I grew up in a small town, everybody knew each other, but everybody sort of left everybody alone. There wasn’t a ton of energy around how people interact in a small town. Immediately you go to a big city, and I wanted that energy, but then when the energy comes with non anonymity, it’s a weird thing.

It’s far worse now, now the average kid doesn’t have anonymity, because if he screws up, somebody’s got an iPhone on it, and all of a sudden it’s up on somebody’s Instagram account, and it’s forever. So in some ways, what I was going through in 1992 with the band and all of that is not that different than what a kid is dealing with.

It’s just the way technology has changed. I had a hard time with it, I think I always felt like I could sort of ride my bike around town and I could lurk around and do my thing, and nobodoy would bug me. I ended up going out to Montana to visit some friends, and there was something about that whole world where it seemed like there was less expectation on me.”

He mentioned that he fell in love with Montana, and he now lives there 3-6 months per year. He said if he didn’t have Pearl Jam obligations, he would live there permanently.

“I would probably be there full time if the band wasn’t going.”

• SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,344
    sounds like they’ve been jamming more and taking some time in these sessions?  If so...Hell yeah.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Means something, yet nothing all at once!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,516
    Great interview. He also said 10 Club had 60 or 70,000 members now. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited January 2018
    Means something, yet nothing all at once!
    pretty mooch. 

I hope the deduction that this means they are writing organically rings true, the last while of everyone showing up to the studio with finished tracks and then recording them has shown in the quality of the music IMO. jam it out as a band. that's the only way to do it. brings out the best performances in each member, as they are more emotionally invested in it. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Focusing on skateboarding/snowboarding really opened up Jeff. I loved this interview. They should do more long form interviews like this.

Eddie needs to be on a surfer podcast. Mike on a KISS podcast. And Stone a pod for croc wearers. 

(Eddie should do WTF!)
    Focusing on skateboarding/snowboarding really opened up Jeff. I loved this interview. They should do more long form interviews like this.

Eddie needs to be on a surfer podcast. Mike on a KISS podcast. And Stone a pod for croc wearers. 

(Eddie should do WTF!)
    :rofl:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

http://westseattleblog.com/2018/01/listen-from-farm-family-to-pearl-jam-west-seattles-jeff-ament-tells-his-story/

Jeff Ament is known for being the bassist for Pearl Jam, but his story goes much deeper than that. He doesn’t do many interviews, and none go this deep.” That’s how podcaster Mike Powell introduces his brand-new audio interview with fellow West Seattleite Ament. As noted when we featured Powell’s podcast with another well-known West Seattleite last Labor Day, he usually focuses on action sports, but on occasion there’s synergy with people best known as leaders in other industries, and so it went in this case – though their conversation turned to skiing and snowboarding among other things. You can listen via the embedded player above, or by going to this page on Powell’s website.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,812
    Excellent interview. May be the best I've heard w/ Jeff. Comprehensive. Honest. Inspiring. Thanks for posting, D.

easystreetrecords The most in depth Ament interview ever. You’ll fall in love with him ...or all over again. Jeff “The Truth” Ament is not just the co founder and bassist of the greatest American rock band of a generation @pearljam he’s a NW lifestyle...snow hungry boarder, bowl scout skater, high school baller, arty big brother, #hardworkdedication #humblefever#onefootonthefarm @vitalogyfoundation #raisondetre#bigsandymontana #derangeddiction #greenriver #pearljam#seatle #motherlovebone @easystreetrecords @subpop@amesbros @thepowellmovement
    not sure if McCready would have wanted that little tidbit of info relating to Crohn's outed in this interview, but who knows. 

good to hear that he is still involved in the process of fan club package approval. maybe not design, but he/they still have a hand in it. 

Loved the "don't fall, or you'll have a closed casket" comment. Sounds terrifying! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Mike’s said it himself over the years.  
  • not sure if McCready would have wanted that little tidbit of info relating to Crohn's outed in this interview, but who knows. 

good to hear that he is still involved in the process of fan club package approval. maybe not design, but he/they still have a hand in it. 

Loved the "don't fall, or you'll have a closed casket" comment. Sounds terrifying! 

[Mike] McCready [of Pearl Jam] said his Crohn's attacks often happen at the most inopportune moments.

"I was in the middle of a solo and it hit, and I can't go anywhere because I'm playing in front of 20,000 people," McCready told The Associated Press after he testified. "So I just let go. I went back stage and cleaned up, because the show must go on."

not sure if McCready would have wanted that little tidbit of info relating to Crohn's outed in this interview, but who knows. 

[Mike] McCready [of Pearl Jam] said his Crohn's attacks often happen at the most inopportune moments.

"I was in the middle of a solo and it hit, and I can't go anywhere because I'm playing in front of 20,000 people," McCready told The Associated Press after he testified. "So I just let go. I went back stage and cleaned up, because the show must go on."

wow. didn't know that. what a fucking trooper that guy is. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• This is GREAT. One of the best interviews any member has done.