Options

Anyone want to shape up in 2018? A continuing journey.......

Comments

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,229
    Don't you mean "Aren't you worried that you will ruin your knees?" ;)

In short, no.

Longer version: I have several chronic health conditions that I manage through regular exercise, including thyroid disease and pretty severe depression. Plus, I am a woman of a certain age, so I have a lot of those transition issues to deal with. Exercise kept me out of the hospital when my thyroid issues were out of control (I wore a heart monitor and was very careful to avoid damage to heart muscle). And now, it keeps me from driving my car into a tree. Bottom line, I am happier and healthier this way.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Anyone do boxing/kickboxing?
    I've always wanted to do it for fitness and so I can look after myself if needed on the street.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    I write on a calendar and use   Runkeeper to track my runs  I try to lift three times a week and do cardio three times a week.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Merry Liftmas to all my fitness friends!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The only lifting I do is carrying my own body :lol: 
    I will consider turning Piyo on! I already ate pretty hefty and it's only 1130! But just try to wipe this :smiley: off my face!

Merry Christmas all!

Looking forward to getting back on track......in a couple more days! :wink:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Yeah I'm off the wagon until the new year, shit's out of hand lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Will the OP update the thread for the new year?

I'm ready to exercise in 2018!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I haven't run in 2 weeks and my diet has been total binge freefall.
    The lifting has been very good, I've been focused and intense and I've had all the extra energy from caloric intake and no cardio.

Jan 1st everything tightens down for a while until I can stabilize at 175.  Then in early spring I'll probably take another bulk break, and then a final push to get as light and fit as I can for our annual spring adventure.
    I'm sure that will precede another indulgence period excused as a bulk phase lol
    Then I'm going to try stay as shredded as I can through summer boating season and into harvest.
  • Options
    Great plans! Both of you! My last week I've been laying new floor throughout the house and been eating a lot of cookies. I'll bet bett for about a week and the my bday ice cream cake :smiley:
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Both wheels were stolen from my bike (which was locked in the garage) on December 24, and what with the holidays, guests, and a little traveling  I haven't had time to replace the wheels. Got to get to that as soon as possible, which at this rate will be January 2nd. I've really missed my riding. 

On the the bright side, I still have my frame as it was locked with a Kryptonite lock to the wall of the garage. Guess I will have to lock the wheels to the frame now, too, which sucks big time. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Does anyone have those pull up bars that rest on your door frame?
    I tried my friends bar and it started bending (maximum weight 100kgs, my weight 92kgs, no wonder).
    I don't trust that it won't damage the door frame at my house. 
    My friend's bar doesn't require any installing, it has two hooks that rest on top of the door frame.
    I did 2 pull ups and my ab muscles are still sore a few days later (yes, I am very unfit).

****EDIT***
    This is the bar my friend has... 
    http://www.kmart.com.au/product/chin-up-bar/824317

Maybe this one may be better as it doesn't hang on the door frame?
    http://www.rebelsport.com.au/Product/PTP-Pull-Up-Bar/419956
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    There are no judgements here TA. We're all at differ fitness levels. I can't do a pull up. I can do a push up on my toes but I can't go down too low yet. We're about getting healthy and sharing health. 
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    There are no judgements here TA. We're all at differ fitness levels. I can't do a pull up. I can do a push up on my toes but I can't go down too low yet. We're about getting healthy and sharing health. 
    :)
  • Options
    I tried my friends bar and it started bending (maximum weight 100kgs, my weight 92kgs, no wonder).
    My friend's bar doesn't require any installing, it has two hooks that rest on top of the door frame.
    I did 2 pull ups and my ab muscles are still sore a few days later (yes, I am very unfit).

****EDIT***

My buddy has one, I can't say for sure that it didn't damage the frame, but any damage would be very light cosmetic damage that a little putty and paint would fix.
    It did do massive damage to his body fat and it crushed his arms into diamond slabs.  He was doing P90X and Insanity every day and he overdid it until he got a hernia and then he got fat again after the surgery.
    Fitness ain't easy.  

You have to take a long view, you have to make fitness a part of your life, not just something you are doing right now.
    It's hard :disappointed:
  • Options
    Both wheels were stolen from my bike (which was locked in the garage) on December 24, and what with the holidays, guests, and a little traveling  I haven't had time to replace the wheels. Got to get to that as soon as possible, which at this rate will be January 2nd. I've really missed my riding. 

On the the bright side, I still have my frame as it was locked with a Kryptonite lock to the wall of the garage. Guess I will have to lock the wheels to the frame now, too, which sucks big time. 
    Damn, you got people coming into your garage to steal shit?  What kind of neighborhood is it?
    Is this one of those white collar thief situations I keep seeing on FB?  These damn housewives and office geeks going around nice neighborhoods and stealing packages from porches, defecating in the bushes, and stealing/vandalizing yard decor?

• Options
    Well, something has to be done about lawn geese.
    I closed out my year with a brisk 10.5-mile run this morning. Good pace despite a nagging groin twinge.

My year: 3,000 miles, 55,500 crunches. This morning, the scale tells me that four weeks of extra wine and sweets has added a bit of padding to my muscles. Studies might show that 2.5 hours of exercise per day will help mitigate weight gain from excessive eating, but that doesn't actually mean that you can eat whatever you want, all the time.  I'll feel better when I have less sugar in the house.

I'm thinking about goals for the next year. I've decided to try racing again, after a year's hiatus, but beyond that I am not sure what I will try to achieve. Perhaps a cleaner diet with more fruits and vegetables is something to aim for.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

****EDIT***

I don't have a pull up bar, but if you're worried about damaging your door frames or don't want to spend the money on one, do some inverted rows. Get 2 chairs and place them far enough apart so that you can fit between them. Take a broom handle, mop handle, steel bar, basically anything you can grab and put it across the chairs. Get beneath the bar and pull yourself up. The more you use your legs, the easier the pull is. Ideally you'll get to where you use your heels as a pivot so that you don't use your legs at all. If that's not clear, just search YouTube for inverted rows at home.

This is a cheaper alternative and will still let you work your back muscles. The inverted row and pull up will work the same muscles, just from different angles. The pull up being more vertical works the lats more (think width or that v-taper shape). The inverted row being more horizontal works the rhomboids and mid to lower traps more (think thickness). Getting stronger rhomboids and traps actually help with performing a pull up, and a lot of people that can't do pull ups start with the inverted row until they are able to do pullups.

Good luck with whichever method you decide to go with!
  • Options
    Well, something has to be done about lawn geese.
    I closed out my year with a brisk 10.5-mile run this morning. Good pace despite a nagging groin twinge.

My year: 3,000 miles, 55,500 crunches. This morning, the scale tells me that four weeks of extra wine and sweets has added a bit of padding to my muscles. Studies might show that 2.5 hours of exercise per day will help mitigate weight gain from excessive eating, but that doesn't actually mean that you can eat whatever you want, all the time.  I'll feel better when I have less sugar in the house.

I'm thinking about goals for the next year. I've decided to try racing again, after a year's hiatus, but beyond that I am not sure what I will try to achieve. Perhaps a cleaner diet with more fruits and vegetables is something to aim for.
    Wow, that's a lot of miles and crunches. Very impressive!

I've been thinking about goals for 2018 too. I don't really have anything specific though. It's tough to know what my goal should be because I haven't tested my max lifts in about 3 months. Right now I'm going to say build to a 300 lb deadlift and 185 lb overhead press (those might change depending on my next max test). I hate it, but I am going to do more cardio this year with working up to being able to do 5K runs again (not that I will, but that I could).
  • Options
    edited January 2018

****EDIT***

I don't have a pull up bar, but if you're worried about damaging your door frames or don't want to spend the money on one, do some inverted rows. Get 2 chairs and place them far enough apart so that you can fit between them. Take a broom handle, mop handle, steel bar, basically anything you can grab and put it across the chairs. Get beneath the bar and pull yourself up. The more you use your legs, the easier the pull is. Ideally you'll get to where you use your heels as a pivot so that you don't use your legs at all. If that's not clear, just search YouTube for inverted rows at home.

This is a cheaper alternative and will still let you work your back muscles. The inverted row and pull up will work the same muscles, just from different angles. The pull up being more vertical works the lats more (think width or that v-taper shape). The inverted row being more horizontal works the rhomboids and mid to lower traps more (think thickness). Getting stronger rhomboids and traps actually help with performing a pull up, and a lot of people that can't do pull ups start with the inverted row until they are able to do pullups.

wow, thanks for all that.
    never heard of this workout.
    This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZV9IwluPjw
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:

****EDIT***

My buddy has one, I can't say for sure that it didn't damage the frame, but any damage would be very light cosmetic damage that a little putty and paint would fix.
    It did do massive damage to his body fat and it crushed his arms into diamond slabs.  He was doing P90X and Insanity every day and he overdid it until he got a hernia and then he got fat again after the surgery.
    Fitness ain't easy.  

You have to take a long view, you have to make fitness a part of your life, not just something you are doing right now.
    It's hard :disappointed:
    Thanks.
    I am more concerned about structual damage than cosmetic damage. I feel it would make the frame break
  • Options
    Curmudgeoness, congrats, those are impressive numbers!
    Markymark, cardio is a great goal for the year, you've stacked some serious muscle on, now shred down and show it off!
    Thoughts, try those inverted rows, but be sure to set up a camera to record in case it collapses on you and you can send it to fail army lol.  Don't get discouraged, those rows are tough.
  • Options
    I'm in the gym now, crushing it to start the New Year!
    Get after it folks!
  • Options

****EDIT***

wow, thanks for all that.
    never heard of this workout.
    This? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZV9IwluPjw
    You're welcome. Yes, that's the workout. If you do the home version that I described, you can try to put heavy things on top of the bar to try to help anchor it down. That or fill up milk jugs with water and hang them off the sides.

Fwiw, I watch a good bit of videos from Scott Herman. He's pretty good about teaching correct form for exercises you might want to try.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Markymark, cardio is a great goal for the year, you've stacked some serious muscle on, now shred down and show it off!
    Thoughts, try those inverted rows, but be sure to set up a camera to record in case it collapses on you and you can send it to fail army lol.  Don't get discouraged, those rows are tough.

I won't have that much to show off if I shred down :lol: The biggest reason is to improve my cardiovascular health. CV problems tend to run in my family and I want to stave them off as long as possible.

rgambs said:
    Get after it folks!
    Starting the new year off right! Was debating on whether or not to go to the gym later, but you've inspired me to go!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I won't have that much to show off if I shred down :lol: The biggest reason is to improve my cardiovascular health. CV problems tend to run in my family and I want to stave them off as long as possible.

rgambs said:
    Get after it folks!
    Starting the new year off right! Was debating on whether or not to go to the gym later, but you've inspired me to go!
    Good, get in there!  I enjoy the influx of New Year New You folks who come and go, it makes for good people watching between the weirdos and the pretty ladies.
  • Options
    I just finished lifting -- first workout for the new year. Batman never skips leg day,and neither do I.

I promised my trainer and my husband that today would be a rest day, running-wise. My husband laughed and said he has concerns about me getting squirrelly later  today if I don't run. So, we will see. Maybe I'll go for a very long, brisk, walk, LOL.
  • Options
    I lifted for an hour and a half this morning and I'm going back for an hour run as soon as I'm done with work here in a bit.
    Nothing like 2 a days to start the new year!
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    rgambs said:
    Get after it folks!
    Right on, rgambs!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I only made it a half hour running lol. 
    Oh well, still got 2 workouts in and with only beef jerky for lunch, no breakfast (unless you count a protein drink) I am in a caloric deficit on food and workouts, not counting metabolic rate and 6 hours of physical labor.
     I'm down 3 lbs this afternoon, which is a good daytime drop.
    Started the new year at 185.2, so I'm going to round that down and crush my way to 165 through sheer fucking grit.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    rgambs said:
    I only made it a half hour running lol. 
    Oh well, still got 2 workouts in and with only beef jerky for lunch, no breakfast (unless you count a protein drink) I am in a caloric deficit on food and workouts, not counting metabolic rate and 6 hours of physical labor.
     I'm down 3 lbs this afternoon, which is a good daytime drop.
    Started the new year at 185.2, so I'm going to round that down and crush my way to 165 through sheer fucking grit.
    I m right around 185 and have a similar goal of 165-168. Yesterday I did 3.25 miles on the elliptical and did biceps/back. Today I did abs.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......