Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    It seems to me like the provinces have reign over the legal age in their province, so I agree that it's really weird that a province with a legal drinking age of 18 would make it 19. Makes sense in BC and Ontario, obviously. I mean, I understand what you're saying Often, and agree, but if that is the philosophy in Manitoba, then why wouldn't they make the drinking age 19 too? The same principles apply to either industry.

RE BC deciding that the LBD will be the sole wholesale distributor for weed... That sounds just fine to me. As long as they aren't the sole retailer, I'm good. I also don't really care if they get in on the retail side, as long as private retail is also available, which it will be. In fact, since BC Liquor is unionized, I would actually kind of favour some retail sales being done there.
    I'm not really sure what the other provinces will do about the minimum purchasing age, but I don't think there's any appetite to look at changing the minimum drinking age at this point. That's a lot of trouble for an issue that doesn't seem to have a lot of public concern behind it. Right now it's weed that's getting the attention; we've had decades to get used to the current liquor laws. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    It seems to me like the provinces have reign over the legal age in their province, so I agree that it's really weird that a province with a legal drinking age of 18 would make it 19. Makes sense in BC and Ontario, obviously. I mean, I understand what you're saying Often, and agree, but if that is the philosophy in Manitoba, then why wouldn't they make the drinking age 19 too? The same principles apply to either industry.

RE BC deciding that the LBD will be the sole wholesale distributor for weed... That sounds just fine to me. As long as they aren't the sole retailer, I'm good. I also don't really care if they get in on the retail side, as long as private retail is also available, which it will be. In fact, since BC Liquor is unionized, I would actually kind of favour some retail sales being done there.
    I'm not really sure what the other provinces will do about the minimum purchasing age, but I don't think there's any appetite to look at changing the minimum drinking age at this point. That's a lot of trouble for an issue that doesn't seem to have a lot of public concern behind it. Right now it's weed that's getting the attention; we've had decades to get used to the current liquor laws. 
    but why make the ages different?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

but why make the ages different?
    Well, I'm just guessing here; I don't know if they will be different, but I just think there is enough public concern right now about potential negative effects of marijuana on developing brains to make them come down on the side of the slightly older option. But really,  what do I know?
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    It's just my view of political thought process - "what's the issue du jour, and how can we get around it with the least negative blow back, even if it doesn't make sense". 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    But if weed is going to be sold in liquor stores (among other places), then wouldn't the legal age have to match the liquor laws?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    it won't be sold in liquor stores in manitoba. it will all be regulated and distributed by manitoba liquor and lotteries, but sold at licensed private businesses. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it won't be sold in liquor stores in manitoba. it will all be regulated and distributed by manitoba liquor and lotteries, but sold at licensed private businesses. 
    That's finalized? In BC will be the same for wholesale distribution, but I think it still remains to be seen if any retail sales will be done in BC liquor stores (among other retailers).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's finalized? In BC will be the same for wholesale distribution, but I think it still remains to be seen if any retail sales will be done in BC liquor stores (among other retailers).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pot-plans-announced-in-manitoba-pallister-1.4391195

Manitoba has unveiled a "hybrid model" for selling pot in the province when recreational marijuana use becomes legal next July.

The Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corp. will secure the supply of marijuana and track it in Manitoba, but private retail stores will be in charge of selling it.

Pot won't be sold where alcohol is sold, which means the province won't have to pay for new storefronts, Premier Brian Pallister said at a news conference on Tuesday.

Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will deal with supply chains and orders from retailers, and retail stores will open as early as July 2, 2018.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJ_Soul said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pot-plans-announced-in-manitoba-pallister-1.4391195

Manitoba has unveiled a "hybrid model" for selling pot in the province when recreational marijuana use becomes legal next July.

The Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corp. will secure the supply of marijuana and track it in Manitoba, but private retail stores will be in charge of selling it.

Pot won't be sold where alcohol is sold, which means the province won't have to pay for new storefronts, Premier Brian Pallister said at a news conference on Tuesday.

Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will deal with supply chains and orders from retailers, and retail stores will open as early as July 2, 2018.

i like a good hybrid
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    edited December 2017
    Good job Manitoba.
    So far it sounds like only Ontario is severely fucking this up, lol.
    edited December 2017
    Deal reached between federal and provincial governments re legal pot tax share - 70/30 for the provinces. Seems fair to me.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/finance-ministers-pot-tax-1.4442540?cid=

PJ_Soul said:
    Deal reached between federal and provincial governments re legal pot tax share - 70/30 for the provinces. Seems fair to me.

Yes, given the bulk of the costs fall to the province. I think that BC at least was hoping for 80/20 but it's an improvement over 50/50. 

The provinces need to share with the municipalities, though, because they will incur some additional costs too. I wonder how the economics of this will fall out. I know everyone is assuming it will be a big net gain; I guess we'll see. 
    edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, given the bulk of the costs fall to the province. I think that BC at least was hoping for 80/20 but it's an improvement over 50/50. 

The provinces need to share with the municipalities, though, because they will incur some additional costs too. I wonder how the economics of this will fall out. I know everyone is assuming it will be a big net gain; I guess we'll see. 
    We shall. Of course, plenty of money will be saved via the criminal justice system, so that also has to be factored in. With the exception of stupid-ass Ontario, I think just the positive economic gain from a whole new, thriving legal industry will be more important than the tax revenue. It will provide jobs, licensing revenue, and probably even increase tourism.
    I wonder what the advertising rules will be? :pensive: I'm rather looking forward to seeing our first weed TV ad. :lol: Although I don't know if they'll be allowed to do that. They can't for cigarettes anymore, but they can for booze. :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Boo Canadian government, grow a spine.

Canada abstains as UN General Assembly backs resolution to nullify U.S. move on Jerusalem

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-jerusalem-un-1.4460257
  • I'm beating the same drum... but why not? It's a classic. In short... a random murder of a 20 year old kid by a career lowlife cycling in and out of our court system. They didn't know each other. Murderer gets 7 and a half years. Lol. Of course... most Canadian people are sitting there thinking to themselves, "What the f**k is that?" (other than the ones pointing to the fact that violent murderer was under the influence of drugs so it wasn't his fault).

Bussières’ parents, Stéphanie Lachance and Nicolas Bussières, listened to the proceedings by video from the courthouse in Quebec City. They said the justice system has failed them by allowing Carte, who has 39 convictions including 10 for violence, to cycle from the streets to jail and back again over many years.

“We are in shock,” Lachance said. “The message the courts send to the population is troubling and inconsistent. Justin Carte is a criminal. During his adult life, he always received leniency.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/crimeincanada/victoria-man-sentenced-to-75-years-for-senseless-drug-fuelled-murder/ar-BBHsSrh?li=AApb0iu&ocid=edgsp

"My brain's a good brain!"
    edited January 2018
    I knew for sure there was something super shady about this guy (the father in that family that was supposedly held captive by terrorists for 5 years). Nothing about that story seemed quite right to me, and I was more than a little suspicious of him. Now he's got 15 fucking charges against him, and I'm not surprised at all. Why Trudeau thought it was a good idea to meet them before anyone really knew what the real story was is completely beyond me, given the circumstances. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-ottawa-charges-1.4470475?cid=

PJ_Soul said:
    I knew for sure there was something super shady about this guy (the father in that family that was supposedly held captive by terrorists for 5 years). Nothing about that story seemed quite right to me, and I was more than a little suspicious of him. Now he's got 15 fucking charges against him, and I'm not surprised at all. Why Trudeau thought it was a good idea to meet them before anyone really knew what the real story was is completely beyond me, given the circumstances. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-ottawa-charges-1.4470475?cid=

I agree it always sounded off, but I think that it's routine for the PM to meet with returning hostages (ex-hostages?), just as a general show of support.

Not much info being released on the circumstances of the charges yet, though they are new and not historic offences. 
  • PJ_Soul said:

This story is very odd to say the least (toss in the set of charges now levied against him and it's completely bizarre).

Prior to the charges... the decision to willingly go to Afghanistan to backpack and do goodwill was questionable at best. The decision to have more children while in captivity was, in my mind, (and to quote Trump) 'not good.'

And now these charges. I read somewhere that the defence is building a 'traumatized mindset' (from his ordeal) that has contributed to the actions the charges are laid against. Of course, the story is vague right now with Boyle (who is reportedly very bright) not saying anything other than the right things to say for a guy in his position. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Revisiting the earlier discussion on the payment to Khadr, Trudeau makes the crucial point:

"That settlement had nothing to do with what Omar Khadr might have or might not have done," he said. "It had to do with what the Canadian government did or did not do and when a Canadian government wilfully turns its back on defending a Canadian's rights and allows a Canadian to be tortured and mistreated, we all end up paying."

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/01/10/trudeau-tells-town-hall-heckler-hes-also-angry-about-omar-khadr-payout_a_23330280/?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage
    and people will continue to make the point that Trudeau is some terrorist sympathizer and insult him because he's good looking. our politics are turning into America's, I'm sad to say. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

and people will continue to make the point that Trudeau is some terrorist sympathizer and insult him because he's good looking. our politics are turning into America's, I'm sad to say. 
    Yeah, if social media is any indication anyway. I'm really not sure if it is or not, but it worries me.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, if social media is any indication anyway. I'm really not sure if it is or not, but it worries me.
    that's really the only gauge I'm going off of, you're right. the sheer vitriol I've seen in comments towards Trudeau on twitter and facebook reminds me of the shit I saw against Obama. I honestly was pretty shocked. I know it's obviously a stereotype in canada that we're polite and all, but the shit people were saying surprised me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    that's really the only gauge I'm going off of, you're right. the sheer vitriol I've seen in comments towards Trudeau on twitter and facebook reminds me of the shit I saw against Obama. I honestly was pretty shocked. I know it's obviously a stereotype in canada that we're polite and all, but the shit people were saying surprised me. 
    Ditto. I mean damn, even just when he posted a Happy Holidays message people responded with anger on social media. I like to think that those people are just a small minority of idiots, but I don't really know...
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Personally I don’t see any of the online “criticisms” of Trudeau being any different from the vitriol spewed at Harper. It’s all just a matter of which side of the fence you sit on. Perhaps the fact there’s a “fence” at all is half the problem, we’re all too entrenched in our own views.

While I’ve (obviously?) never been a fan of our current PM, I’m still hoping he’ll do something to win me over, but he keeps digging himself deeper holes.

Is it perhaps telling that there’s been zero mention in this thread (what better place, after all?) about Dawson’s ethics findings against Trudeau? And saying Harper was as bad or worse is nonsense, I’m sorry. It was Trudeau’s Liberals that campaigned on being so different from the previous government, yet seemingly can’t/won’t walk the walk after talking the talk.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Personally I don’t see any of the online “criticisms” of Trudeau being any different from the vitriol spewed at Harper. It’s all just a matter of which side of the fence you sit on. Perhaps the fact there’s a “fence” at all is half the problem, we’re all too entrenched in our own views.

While I’ve (obviously?) never been a fan of our current PM, I’m still hoping he’ll do something to win me over, but he keeps digging himself deeper holes.

Is it perhaps telling that there’s been zero mention in this thread (what better place, after all?) about Dawson’s ethics findings against Trudeau? And saying Harper was as bad or worse is nonsense, I’m sorry. It was Trudeau’s Liberals that campaigned on being so different from the previous government, yet seemingly can’t/won’t walk the walk after talking the talk.
    I'm ok with people making mistakes and owning up to them. That's what Trudeau did. He didn't try to sweep it under the rug like many before him have. 

I wasn't on social media back when Harper was PM, at least not Twitter, so I can't speak to that. But there is obvious truth to what you say about the fence. I try to be as open minded as possible, but you're right, I'm more shocked by the hatred towards Trudeau because I just don't get it. I find most of it is fear-based, anti-immigration because they are here to kill us and cover up our women, we need to "take care of our own first". Sounds familiar. If you are worried about an unskilled immigrant taking your job, you don't have much to bitch about. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018

I know what you're getting at, but I actually do notice a difference. With Harper, people were pissed off and hated him, but they tended to hate him for real shit. But now I'm seeing that the great majority of the hate is based on silly bullshit. Like, I don't know how many time I read about how Trudeau was a drama teacher and how that makes him unqualified. Well, this is just garbage. For one, he taught more than drama. Also, talk about undervaluing teaching, holy. But most importantly, it completely dismisses the fact that Trudeau was already an elected politician for a fair bit of time before he even ran for leadership, and the fact that he was actually every bit as qualified as Harper was when he was first elected. Yet I never once saw the people who hated his guts go off about how unqualified he was, because he wasn't, just like Trudeau isn't. And then as HFD said, much of the vitriol is just bullcrap based in racism and not distinguishing between reality and fact. The Kadr thing is a great example. Trudeau has always been very clear about why the settlement was made. It is logical and based on the Charter of Rights, not his personal opinions. Yet people keep blabbing about how he embraces terrorists, which is really pretty ridiculous. So yeah, I think things are indeed different now, and I definitely think that difference has a lot to do with the whole populist surge that's happening in many countries right now, and not so much on people simply picking sides like they always do, which is on its own certainly true as well... In short... everyone is just acting a lot crazier than they did before Trump came along, and before Brexit, etc.
    PJ_Soul said:

I know what you're getting at, but I actually do notice a difference. With Harper, people were pissed off and hated them, but they tended to hate him for real shit. But now I'm seeing that the great majority of the hate is based on silly bullshit. Like, I don't know how many time I read about how Trudeau was a drama teacher and how that makes him unqualified. Well, this is just garbage. For one, he taught more than drama. Also, talk about undervaluing teaching, holy. But most importantly, it completely dismisses the fact that Trudeau was already an elected politician for a fair bit of time before he even ran for leadership, and the fact that he was actually every bit as qualified as Harper was when he was first elected. Yet I never once saw the people who hated his guts go off about how unqualified he was, because he wasn't, just like Trudeau isn't. And then as HFD said, much of the vitriol is just bullcrap based in racism and not distinguishing between reality and fact. The Kadr thing is a great example. Trudeau has always been very clear about why the settlement was made. It is logical and based on the Charter of Rights, not his personal opinions. Yet people keep blabbing about how he embraces terrorists, which is really pretty ridiculous. So yeah, I think things are indeed different now, and I definitely think that difference has a lot to do with the whole populist surge that's happening in many countries right now, and not so much on people simply picking sides like they always do, which is on its own certainly true as well... In short... everyone is just acting a lot crazier than they did before Trump came along, and before Brexit, etc.
    Yeah, yeah........ but on to the important news of the day!

Any opinion on the Canadian men's Olympic hockey team? ;)
    PJ_Soul said:

I know what you're getting at, but I actually do notice a difference. With Harper, people were pissed off and hated them, but they tended to hate him for real shit. But now I'm seeing that the great majority of the hate is based on silly bullshit. Like, I don't know how many time I read about how Trudeau was a drama teacher and how that makes him unqualified. Well, this is just garbage. For one, he taught more than drama. Also, talk about undervaluing teaching, holy. But most importantly, it completely dismisses the fact that Trudeau was already an elected politician for a fair bit of time before he even ran for leadership, and the fact that he was actually every bit as qualified as Harper was when he was first elected. Yet I never once saw the people who hated his guts go off about how unqualified he was, because he wasn't, just like Trudeau isn't. And then as HFD said, much of the vitriol is just bullcrap based in racism and not distinguishing between reality and fact. The Kadr thing is a great example. Trudeau has always been very clear about why the settlement was made. It is logical and based on the Charter of Rights, not his personal opinions. Yet people keep blabbing about how he embraces terrorists, which is really pretty ridiculous. So yeah, I think things are indeed different now, and I definitely think that difference has a lot to do with the whole populist surge that's happening in many countries right now, and not so much on people simply picking sides like they always do, which is on its own certainly true as well... In short... everyone is just acting a lot crazier than they did before Trump came along, and before Brexit, etc.
    Yeah, yeah........ but on to the important news of the day!

Any opinion on the Canadian men's Olympic hockey team? ;)
    It's actually better than I thought it would be.