Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Would jokes about the holocaust or what African-Americans went through be an exception? Or is it still if we start setting limits, it's only a matter of time until everything is off limits?

I'm sure this has been pointed out, but Larry David (one of the creators of Seinfeld and.....a jew!) hosted SNL a few weeks back and actually made a Holocaust joke. Some found it offensive. I found it funny. Gotta be able to laugh at stuff in life and not be offended at every little thing.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    The suicide joke that started this thread is offensive in the fact it's not mildly funny. Offensive to comedy in general.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Would jokes about the holocaust or what African-Americans went through be an exception? Or is it still if we start setting limits, it's only a matter of time until everything is off limits?

I'm sure this has been pointed out, but Larry David (one of the creators of Seinfeld and.....a jew!) hosted SNL a few weeks back and actually made a Holocaust joke. Some found it offensive. I found it funny. Gotta be able to laugh at stuff in life and not be offended at every little thing.

Juggs, I mentioned that earlier as well and also thought it funny.  "Inappropriate"?  Sure.  But much comedy is.

And such is the beauty of free speech.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah, it's only a matter of time. 
    You've never heard Holocaust or slavery jokes?
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

If you have to ask yourself if you're right to be offended by a joke, you've already got your answer.
    I don't think things like that are for joking. That's just me.
    Maybe comedy is not for you?

Not that kind of comedy. 
    There's always Bill Cosby, he may have been raping ladies, but his comedy was clean.
    I'll just stick to my beloved Simpsons.
    I don't mean to ruin the Simpsons for you but....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R_WJe1w5RQ

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Juggs, I mentioned that earlier as well and also thought it funny.  "Inappropriate"?  Sure.  But much comedy is.

And such is the beauty of free speech.
    Ah, sorry. I didn't read through the whole thread....

Thoughts Arrive----stay the hell away from Curb Your Enthusiasm if this offended you so much!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

If you have to ask yourself if you're right to be offended by a joke, you've already got your answer.

Not that kind of comedy. 
    There's always Bill Cosby, he may have been raping ladies, but his comedy was clean.

Ive never seen this episode. Which season?
    That is different from calling someone who survived a suicide a failure and encouraging them to try again.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Not that kind of comedy. 

LOL!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Are you new to comedy?
    No exceptions.

Not that kind of comedy. 

Ive never seen this episode. Which season?
    That is different from calling someone who survived a suicide a failure and encouraging them to try again.
    Okay...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Also, found this offensive. Making fun of a distressed mother whose baby got taken and killed by a dingo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTIGXvc88Y

Actually, just quit on Seinfeld. It's not for you. Never thought I'd say those words. But if this dingo gag offends you, then I just don't think this relationship (between you and the show) is going to work. 
    Wait a minute....the "dingo ate your baby" thing offended you too? What?

Thoughts Arrive! Come on man......jeez, the more I read through this thread the more your lack of a sense of humor offends me.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Also, found this offensive. Making fun of a distressed mother whose baby got taken and killed by a dingo.

Actually, just quit on Seinfeld. It's not for you. Never thought I'd say those words. But if this dingo gag offends you, then I just don't think this relationship (between you and the show) is going to work. 

Thoughts Arrive! Come on man......jeez, the more I read through this thread the more your lack of a sense of humor offends me.
    I agree.  It would probably be in his best interest to skip the Crazy Joe Devola and "The Jimmy" episodes also.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    hedonist said:
    Sam Kinison talking about starving countries is among my favorites.  Doesn't mean i laugh at people actually needing sustenance.  We find humor where we can and do, and within that, our own kind of comfort.

Not for you?  Walk away, toss it, sell it.

If someone doesn't dig a certain stance, fine.  Get rid of it, let the offense to you or whomever do its thing for better or worse, and move on.

Put that energy to good use?

Move to the food.  We have deserts we just don't fucking live in them argggghhhhh! Classic.
    Being confrontational and addressing sensitive subjects is part of what makes comedy great.  In some ways it is supposed to offend you.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I know I posted the quote earlier in this thread -- but since I read something Mark Twain shared back when I was in high school I always believed in it --- "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand"
    It is different for everyone - but for me I typically laugh when I'm angry, sad, confused, lost, happy, etc --- it truly is my best medicine. 

Clearly you do not share this feeling and should never watch Seinfeld, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. 
    Stick with kid comedy or something that you know will stay in the strike zone so that you can get the laughter that will make you feel better.
    Accept that what many find funny, you will never.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    hedonist said:
    Sam Kinison talking about starving countries is among my favorites.  Doesn't mean i laugh at people actually needing sustenance.  We find humor where we can and do, and within that, our own kind of comfort.

Not for you?  Walk away, toss it, sell it.

If someone doesn't dig a certain stance, fine.  Get rid of it, let the offense to you or whomever do its thing for better or worse, and move on.

Put that energy to good use?

Move to the food.  We have deserts we just don't fucking live in them argggghhhhh! Classic.
    Being confrontational and addressing sensitive subjects is part of what makes comedy great.  In some ways it is supposed to offend you.
    Yes! - and make you think in a different way.

One of my favorite memories is seeing Kinison at the Universal Theatre with my sister in the mid-or-so 80s.  We had dinner at Victoria Station (an old LA train-themed and awesome restaurant), then got high in the parking lot before the show and laughed our asses off with Sam, to the point of tears.

The best kind of tears.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    He was one of the greats.  
    Whenever I am in a crappy mood, I search for good stand up. It always puts me in a better place. 
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    edited December 2017
    The dingo bit was offensive? Dude, maybe you should stick to shows like Sesame Street or Teletubbies. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
  • Options
    ^^ Teletubbies were offensive to some
  • Options
    The dingo bit was offensive? Dude, maybe you should stick to shows like Sesame Street or Teletubbies. 
    Whatever
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

Yep it sure did. What if your child went missing and your cry for help was made fun of by someone?

I have a sense of humor thank you very much.
  • Options
    I know I posted the quote earlier in this thread -- but since I read something Mark Twain shared back when I was in high school I always believed in it --- "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand"
    It is different for everyone - but for me I typically laugh when I'm angry, sad, confused, lost, happy, etc --- it truly is my best medicine. 

Clearly you do not share this feeling and should never watch Seinfeld, Family Guy, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc. 
    Stick with kid comedy or something that you know will stay in the strike zone so that you can get the laughter that will make you feel better.
    Who cares what Mark Twain said. Is it dogma now?
  • Options

I care.  And I appreciate its context and sentiment.

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,313
    Yes. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I care.  And I appreciate its context and sentiment.

Well, I don't
  • Options
    You ever comment in a thread and regret it because now it'll show up in your "participated" discussions from here on out?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Move along people...

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    You ever comment in a thread and regret it because now it'll show up in your "participated" discussions from here on out?
    Perhaps you can ask Kat or Sea to delete your posts.
  • Options
    Gee hasn't this thread made me even more despised here.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,690
    edited December 2017
    a truer statement might be , we dont really understand, is all.

perhaps its just a reflection of a general american sense of humor, for good or bad.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I didn't think sharing the Mark Twain quote would offend you.  I'm sorry for commenting in your thread.  Disagreement is clearly an offense causing activity.  
    :anguished:
  • Options

Nobody despises you. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com