Options

Joe Strummer: Gone 15 years now

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
December 22 was the 15 year anniversary of the passing of the most influential musician to me: Joe Strummer.  The Clash impacted me tremendously in so many ways, both musically and personally.  And Joe is the man who has the most to do with who I have turned out to be, 2nd only to my father (my mom was topmost influential).  I was lucky to meet the Clash when I was 12 yrs old and it did change my life, Joe and Paul Simonon were like big brothers to me for a few years there.

On this anniversary I just wanted to share a few little memories, in case there are other Clash or Joe Strummer fans here.  My heart's still broken, but also whole because we were lucky we had him as long as we did, since the rare heart condition he died from could have killed him at ANY age, at 2 yrs old, 14 yrs old, 46 yrs old, or when it actually did, at 50.  Given how hard he worked that heart both on and offstage, it's amazing we had him as long as we did.  Grateful, thoughtful, and still so sad.  But mostly grateful.

Just posted on Facebook:

Wow, sometimes Facebook has amazing timing in the posts it randomly resurrects...

December 24, 2012

I know most have moved on to focus on the holidays, but today was the first time I got to sit down quietly with the journal I kept 10 yrs ago. 2 quick sweet things I wanted to share:

One was a story from one of Joe's LA friends about how he could never pass a busker or homeless person without giving them money, and how once leaving a restaurant in LA they were walking past a busker who spotted Joe and said "Joe Strummer!" and started playing "Should I Stay". Joe said "That's Mick Jones' tune!" so the guy starts playing "Train in Vain" and Joe says "That's also Mick's! Of all the songs you pick 2 of Mick's!" and Joe laughed and gave the guy $20.00. A few years later, same restaurant, same busker, sees Joe leaving and yells out "Joe Strummer!" and goes into "Should I Stay" again, and Joe holds his head in his hands and says "You don't learn mate! You don't learn!" And still gives the guy another $20.00.  :D

The other thing I was reminded of was after Joe passed, one time that I spoke to Tymon [fiddle player in Joe's last band the Mescaleros & also one of his oldest friends] he told me how nervous often Joe would be when touring with his post-Clash bands, including the Mescaleros. On the Mescaleros tours he'd tell Tymon again and again how much it meant to him that people turned up at all, and also how much he appreciated the people that went to many shows. How much better Joe would feel when they'd see familiar faces in the audience.

It can be hard to believe that Joe would ever be nervous about playing and care so much whether people would turn up or not. But of course if you're a longtime Clash fan... You know that's how he was. Big big heart. So know you made him truly happy if you got out to any of those gigs.

Btw, Joe once told someone he cared about a lot who was going through a hard time this time of year that they absolutely had to sit down and watch "It's a Wonderful Life", so apparently Joe really loved that film. Just another thing to connect to him this time of year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone, however you celebrate! And wishing you a life-affirming 2013.

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    One of the first bands I fell in love with. Sad loss.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,491
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZiVHwzFNLo

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :star:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    NormanNorman Posts: 109
    Thanks for sharing.  
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    JH6056 said:
    December 22 was the 15 year anniversary of the passing of the most influential musician to me: Joe Strummer.  The Clash impacted me tremendously in so many ways, both musically and personally.  And Joe is the man who has the most to do with who I have turned out to be, 2nd only to my father (my mom was topmost influential).  I was lucky to meet the Clash when I was 12 yrs old and it did change my life, Joe and Paul Simonon were like big brothers to me for a few years there.

On this anniversary I just wanted to share a few little memories, in case there are other Clash or Joe Strummer fans here.  My heart's still broken, but also whole because we were lucky we had him as long as we did, since the rare heart condition he died from could have killed him at ANY age, at 2 yrs old, 14 yrs old, 46 yrs old, or when it actually did, at 50.  Given how hard he worked that heart both on and offstage, it's amazing we had him as long as we did.  Grateful, thoughtful, and still so sad.  But mostly grateful.

Just posted on Facebook:

Wow, sometimes Facebook has amazing timing in the posts it randomly resurrects...

December 24, 2012

I know most have moved on to focus on the holidays, but today was the first time I got to sit down quietly with the journal I kept 10 yrs ago. 2 quick sweet things I wanted to share:

One was a story from one of Joe's LA friends about how he could never pass a busker or homeless person without giving them money, and how once leaving a restaurant in LA they were walking past a busker who spotted Joe and said "Joe Strummer!" and started playing "Should I Stay". Joe said "That's Mick Jones' tune!" so the guy starts playing "Train in Vain" and Joe says "That's also Mick's! Of all the songs you pick 2 of Mick's!" and Joe laughed and gave the guy $20.00. A few years later, same restaurant, same busker, sees Joe leaving and yells out "Joe Strummer!" and goes into "Should I Stay" again, and Joe holds his head in his hands and says "You don't learn mate! You don't learn!" And still gives the guy another $20.00.  :D

The other thing I was reminded of was after Joe passed, one time that I spoke to Tymon [fiddle player in Joe's last band the Mescaleros & also one of his oldest friends] he told me how nervous often Joe would be when touring with his post-Clash bands, including the Mescaleros. On the Mescaleros tours he'd tell Tymon again and again how much it meant to him that people turned up at all, and also how much he appreciated the people that went to many shows. How much better Joe would feel when they'd see familiar faces in the audience.

It can be hard to believe that Joe would ever be nervous about playing and care so much whether people would turn up or not. But of course if you're a longtime Clash fan... You know that's how he was. Big big heart. So know you made him truly happy if you got out to any of those gigs.

Btw, Joe once told someone he cared about a lot who was going through a hard time this time of year that they absolutely had to sit down and watch "It's a Wonderful Life", so apparently Joe really loved that film. Just another thing to connect to him this time of year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone, however you celebrate! And wishing you a life-affirming 2013.

Thanks for sharing the story!   I bought London Calling while I was in Jr. High School, and it totally changed my life.  Fast forward to today, and one of my most prized possessions is my Clash Hamburg concert poster, signed by Joe & Mick.

I once met Joe at a restaurant in L.A., and he was nice enough to spend some time with us.  
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    And JOEJOEJOE he was a lovely guy, wasn't he?  One of the humblest men ever.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    When I saw The Clash at the San Francisco Civic Auditorium.   My buddy Andy and I had great seats up in the balcony and really dug the show without acquiring any of the bruising taking place below us.  I believe Strummer was at a high point at the time (late in the bands career) of frustration with what was becoming a culturally appropriated punk scene and was feeling some spiteful toward  the audience.  At one point he violently flipped us the bird and told us in no uncertain terms to "FUCK OFF!" at which point the band slammed into another rocking number and the crowd went wild.  Great show!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Sounds amazing, what year was that show?
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    JH6056 said:
    June 23, 1982

Here's the (more accurate than the above) story I wrote about that show for the memoir I'm (still!) working on:

June 23, 1982: The Clash, The English Beat, Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Sadly, I have little recollection of seeing The English Beat who opened for The Clash on this date, although I do remember owning one or two of their records and liking them quite a bit, so much so that I’m almost wondering if they might have cancelled that gig.  I honestly can’t remember.  But I do remember The Clash well and for good reason.  What a band!  And once again, Andrew was there with me to share the experience.

By the summer of 1982, having already recorded and put out five of the six studio albums they would record as a band, The Clash had become a well established unit that had expanded its early listenership beyond the hardcore punk scene through the success of their epic and renowned 1979 album, London Calling, and a few “radio friendly” tracks off their Combat Rock LP, “Should I Stay or Should I Go” and “Rock the Casbah.”  There was a bit of irony here in that The Clash (especially with singer/ guitarist/songwriter Joe Strummer’s contributions to the band) was very politically oriented and yet, besides their core fan base who were generally socially aware and/or angry young listeners, the music seemed to crop up on sound systems in sports bars and other venues where politics were of little or no concern.  The impact and influence of The Clash spread far and wide.

By the time Andrew and I went to see them, the band had already begun to experience some turmoil and conflict within the group.  In particular, there were reports of friction between Strummer and lead guitarist Mick Jones, and by now drummer Nicky “Topper” Headon had left the group altogether to be replaced by Terry Chimes.  A year later, Strummer and bassist Paul Simonon would fire Jones.  Though the band did continue for a few years with a new lead guitarist, the splintering of the group would essentially spell the end of The Clash for many fans.  I was fortunate to catch at least the majority of the original band just in time.

The band came out and hit the stage strong and hard, slamming right into their great song, “London Calling”.  Joe Strummer was sporting a new Mohawk and he certainly had the look of the angry punk that night, but more importantly, it was his fire and dedication to the music that projected that punk energy and drive.  He seemed to be particularly pissed off that night and I don’t think that was at all just an act or putting on a show. The anger Strummer projected was no doubt lost on much of the crowd, many of whom very likely interpreted it as simply punk angst posturing.  A more likely reason for his irascible mood would have been the impact that the tensions within the band were having on his frame of mind.  Strummer did not at all appear to me to be posturing for or catering to the crowd.  At one point, when members of the audience kept calling out for certain numbers and egging Strummer on, the singer yelled something that was indecipherable except for the last two words which he spit out with a great deal of venom: “Fuck off!”  The crowd, of course, went nuts as the band slammed into the next song and Strummer’s anger fueled the music into a mad frenzy and it made for one hell of a raucous final set of the show.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    brianlux said:
    JH6056 said:
    June 23, 1982

Here's the (more accurate than the above) story I wrote about that show for the memoir I'm (still!) working on:

June 23, 1982: The Clash, The English Beat, Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Sadly, I have little recollection of seeing The English Beat who opened for The Clash on this date, although I do remember owning one or two of their records and liking them quite a bit, so much so that I’m almost wondering if they might have cancelled that gig.  I honestly can’t remember.  But I do remember The Clash well and for good reason.  What a band!  And once again, Andrew was there with me to share the experience.

By the summer of 1982, having already recorded and put out five of the six studio albums they would record as a band, The Clash had become a well established unit that had expanded its early listenership beyond the hardcore punk scene through the success of their epic and renowned 1979 album, London Calling, and a few “radio friendly” tracks off their Combat Rock LP, “Should I Stay or Should I Go” and “Rock the Casbah.”  There was a bit of irony here in that The Clash (especially with singer/ guitarist/songwriter Joe Strummer’s contributions to the band) was very politically oriented and yet, besides their core fan base who were generally socially aware and/or angry young listeners, the music seemed to crop up on sound systems in sports bars and other venues where politics were of little or no concern.  The impact and influence of The Clash spread far and wide.

By the time Andrew and I went to see them, the band had already begun to experience some turmoil and conflict within the group.  In particular, there were reports of friction between Strummer and lead guitarist Mick Jones, and by now drummer Nicky “Topper” Headon had left the group altogether to be replaced by Terry Chimes.  A year later, Strummer and bassist Paul Simonon would fire Jones.  Though the band did continue for a few years with a new lead guitarist, the splintering of the group would essentially spell the end of The Clash for many fans.  I was fortunate to catch at least the majority of the original band just in time.

The band came out and hit the stage strong and hard, slamming right into their great song, “London Calling”.  Joe Strummer was sporting a new Mohawk and he certainly had the look of the angry punk that night, but more importantly, it was his fire and dedication to the music that projected that punk energy and drive.  He seemed to be particularly pissed off that night and I don’t think that was at all just an act or putting on a show. The anger Strummer projected was no doubt lost on much of the crowd, many of whom very likely interpreted it as simply punk angst posturing.  A more likely reason for his irascible mood would have been the impact that the tensions within the band were having on his frame of mind.  Strummer did not at all appear to me to be posturing for or catering to the crowd.  At one point, when members of the audience kept calling out for certain numbers and egging Strummer on, the singer yelled something that was indecipherable except for the last two words which he spit out with a great deal of venom: “Fuck off!”  The crowd, of course, went nuts as the band slammed into the next song and Strummer’s anger fueled the music into a mad frenzy and it made for one hell of a raucous final set of the show.

Awesome!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014