Any Drummers Around Here?

If so, lets hear about your kit.

I'm a complete beginner with the drums.I have owned a kit for about a decade but just got it set up today after about six years in the cases. Have lots to learn and a lot of practice is in my future.

The kit is a DW Workshop Series. Maple shells in a jazz configuration. I bought DW 5000 and 9000 Series hardware.

The major weak link is the cymbals. I have Zildjian ZBTs and they are horrible, cringe inducing products of Hell. I imagine Satan himself made these things just to torture people. 

So, I'm planning on upgrading cymbals one day but I don't really want to spend $800.00 - $1,000.00 on A Customs, Zildjian K's or Paiste 2002 or Signature Series.

Is there an option around $500.00 that is good enough for recording rock and roll?

If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

Comments

• I play more guitar now but still have my mid-late 90’s Tama Starclassic that my parents got me as a teen. Now a 6-piece. I’ve slowly added stuff to it over the years. My only cymbal recommendation is to find what sound you want and buy used. I’ve had really good luck going piece by piece in the used market. But I love the lines that you mentioned even at the cost. Zildjian has never let me down. I cracked a crash once and they replaced it. I have a new beat hi hat, 16 and 17 inch A custom crashes (that sound so, so good), a Z ride, an 18” K Crash Ride, an 8” K Splash and a 18” hammered China. Almost all of those were bought used in very good to excellent condition. Stick marks don’t bother me and they’ll last me for years. Just make sure stuff isn’t cracked or bent. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,969
    Thanks man. I'm totally into going for used cymbals. For the little bit I play, I can't really justify spending a lot.

The crashes have to come first, then the ride followed by the hi-hats. That's the order from most obnoxious to the least.

My plan is to have a nice sounding, versatile kit in my home studio for recording. Mostly rock and roll. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Nice looking kit. DW seems to do nice stuff. If I ever replaced mine, I’d probably downsize and stick with a trap set. Happy hunting. And make sure you update us if you find something. 
  • morg83morg83 Posts: 3
    Just stumbled across this thread. Nice kit! I second the used cymbal idea. I'd go to guitar center and try a few then try finding the models you like on ebay.

I'm playing a Mapex Saturn kit, two up, to down configuration.  I put one floor tom on each side if my kit (one near my snare and the other to my right) I've found this really balances my kit.  I play alternate between two mapex black panther snare drums depending on the sound I'm going for. I've got the maple black widow snare and a steel machete snare. Pedals are DW. Cymbals, I'm a zildjian cymbal guy and also have an obsession with buying cymbals. I use a mix or As, A customs, Ks, and K customs in a variety of sizes. I currently have 10-12 cymbals around my kit.

I've got some mics/recording equipment too. If anyone's ever looking for a drummer to record some drum tracks hit me up.
  • ratmandoratmando Moss Beach, CA Posts: 344
    Here is 
    is my baby.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
    Also- anyone using Electric drums  ?? Thinking of getting a set to practice with...
    When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.

Henry David Thoreau
  • edgesredgesr Posts: 52
    You tend to get what you pay for with cymbals, they aren't like the shells themselves which can have some good heads popped on and tuned up. There is nothing you can do to make a bad sounding cymbal sound better. If I were in your shoes I'd replace one cymbal at a time, starting with crashes. The Zildjian As or A customs sound great and are very versatile. Sabian also make some really nice stuff, i believe their AA series are great all rounders.
    Manchester 2 - 2012
    Milton Keynes - 2014
    Krakow - 2018
    London 1&2 - 2018
    Hyde Park 1&2 - 2022
    Amsterdam 1 - 2022
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Related image
  • GloriousGlorious Posts: 26
    ratmando said:
    Also- anyone using Electric drums  ?? Thinking of getting a set to practice with...
    Yep, got my Tama acoustic stored in the attic but have had the Roland TD25KV for 2 years now. It's mid level and like everything else you get what you pay for. I don't play pro so this is perfect. Got the mesh heads and a great brain. My son is on this most days and I play when I can, but it cost £2k and I'd say it's worth every penny.
    I JUST started getting in to the electric set.. Trying th Roland on your advice :)

Henry David Thoreau