Options

Matt Cameron's solo album Cavedweller

Comments

• Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    evsgjamm said:
    Oh poor critical me... the lyrics in "Time Can't Wait" are 2-dimensional, flat, predictable, teen-age cliche and I can't freaking stand them. Love Matt; don't love Matt's lyrics. If you're a fan of the lyrics, I don't understand why. They are elementary. After listening to Ed and countless other great writers over the years, I expected better from MFC as a middle-aged man in a highly successful and influential band. These lyrics are what I'd expect from a band of 13-15 year olds. Frick, I sound like such a bad person. The phrase "Don't quit your day job" comes into mind. It's like he just spewed out random phrases with no backstory or depth.  If that's what he actually likes about his lyrics, then groovy, but for the artistry level he's achieved over the decades as a drummer, I don't understand why he'd lock in these lyrics as "Yep. Album worthy." Bland. Flat. Unappealing. Best drummer in the world with the best band in the world. Worst lyricist. I get it that he's feeling expressive, but my goodness, I wish he expressed them on the skins rather than on the paper. Hopes are low for the rest of the record. The vinyl will be at my door in 5 days. Here's to hoping it's only one song that I feel this way about. "Give the guy a break" you say? "What have you done with your life?" you say? Look, the lyrics are bad, and this bellybutton has picked out his lint. Sorry for dropping it here for you to pick up. This is one of those posts I already regret cuz it's easier to hate (like what I've done here) than it is to love. Love you Matt. Sorry to say your lyrics aren't up to my standard, but I think they're not up to many people's standards in this group which consists of many intelligent fans with high expectations.  I had really high expectations for the single. I can't really bring myself to hear it again.
    What's interesting is this: many PJ songs and albums don't go over well with people at first... then as they listen to them over and over again, over time, they grow on them to the point of becoming a real part of who we are. I freakin would LOVE for this to happen with this album / song. Ok fine... I'll listen to it again with open arms. But one eye will be closed and I'll be squinting and pulling away slightly like I'm hugging a smelly person with bad breath. Maybe I'll get used to it if I stick around it long enough. Ok... off to the creative cursing thread in PPM&A. 
    "Before joining Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, Matt cut a handful of solo songs on Seattle cassette compilations under the name Cavedweller in the 1980’s. Matt had recently relocated from his native San Diego to Seattle and introduced himself to the seminal scene he would eventually serve as a cornerstone member. 

“I thought it would be cool to use that name again three decades later,” said Matt on Cavedweller. “I’ve been writing my own songs since I was 17-years-old. I always enjoyed playing guitar and trying to cultivate my voice as a songwriter. However, I’ve been lucky to play in bands with the best singers and lyricists of my generation. My voice was never necessarily needed in them. With this album, I wanted to really make my vocals and guitar playing come through. It’s almost like I tried to start a solo career 30 years ago, and I’m just now getting back to it.” "

Well that frickin explains it: he was a teenager when he wrote the lyrics. haha. Sometimes ya just gotta get the lead out; even if it's still slightly radioactive (chemistry joke.)

I've gone done cleansed myself.  So much of the writing on the record is from a young MFC. Ok; I can get behind that, Matt. Rock on young squire. It's like a freakin time capsule.

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    It's apparent the sound of this album is important. 

• Options
    I love the album. At first i though the vocal was weak. But as i listened 3 or 4 times i got into the groove. Like Madonna haha. Its new and modern but old at the same time. Thumbs up from me
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    stoppler_pjstoppler_pj Montreal, Quebec, Canada Posts: 191
    Enzed said:
    TL61540 said:

Got mine order in the mail today. Very nice.
    No download card though. Not sure if there was suppose to be one or not. But it would be nice to listen when I am walking around.
    both from Tenclub?

No, Dine Alone.

You are obviously from the sticks if you call it a hoodie! Us sophisticated city folk call it a bunnyhug!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,738
    https://www.dinealonestore.com/collections/exclusives/products/matt-cameron-cavedweller-cs

• Record Store Day Black Friday 2017 Release 
    • Purple Tint Cassette Tape (Limited Edition of 100)

• Options
    edited November 2017

Matt Cameron - Cavedweller (CS)

$8.00 CAD

Artist: Matt Cameron

Type: Purple Tint Tape

Quantity

Release Date: November 24, 2017
    Catalogue Number: DAT059

Tracklisting:

1. Time Can't Wait
    2. All At Once
    3. Blind
    4. Through The Ceiling
    5. One Special Lady
    6. In The Trees
    7. Into The Fire
    8. Real And Imagined
    9. Unnecessary

Important Information: 
    Please note that this is a pre-order item with an estimated shipping date of November 24, 2017. Please place separate orders for items you would like to arrive earlier than this date. Shipping dates subject to change based upon availability.

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited November 2017
    Releasing stuff on cassette in 207 is just helping destroy the planet with more plastic.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Releasing stuff on cassette in 2017 is just helping destroy the planet with more plastic.
    Yep. I'm hoping in 2018 they bring back the 8-Track tapes.
  • Options
    Looks like 65 copies left in stock.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    evsgjamm said:
    HFD, you just opened my mind to Alain Johannes. I'm researching his career now. Impressive stuff. What's your favorite stuff from him, if you have any? Top 5 recommendations, be it songs or albums. 
    I don't own a tonne of his stuff, but after listening to Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning a TONNE over the years, and then listening to anything else he's contributed to, you can really tell when he's been involved. Very distinct writing and playing style as well as instrument choices (lots of smaller string instruments like fiddles and mandolins).

Spinnerette, a band he was in with Jack Irons and Brody Dalle (Josh Homme's wife, former lead singer of The Distillers) is something I really like. I have yet to check out Eleven (his band with his late wife and Jack Irons), which is odd, since I like his stuff so much and it's from the 90's. His work with QOTSA, he did some work with Ian Thornley for his solo record (Ian Fletcher Thornley-Secrets), some songs on Dave Grohl's Sound City project.  you name it. check it out. his solo stuff is great, but he doesn't have a classic lead singer voice. can take a bit getting used to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    evsgjamm said:
    HFD, you just opened my mind to Alain Johannes. I'm researching his career now. Impressive stuff. What's your favorite stuff from him, if you have any? Top 5 recommendations, be it songs or albums. 
    I don't own a tonne of his stuff, but after listening to Chris Cornell's Euphoria Morning a TONNE over the years, and then listening to anything else he's contributed to, you can really tell when he's been involved. Very distinct writing and playing style as well as instrument choices (lots of smaller string instruments like fiddles and mandolins).

Spinnerette, a band he was in with Jack Irons and Brody Dalle (Josh Homme's wife, former lead singer of The Distillers) is something I really like. I have yet to check out Eleven (his band with his late wife and Jack Irons), which is odd, since I like his stuff so much and it's from the 90's. His work with QOTSA, he did some work with Ian Thornley for his solo record (Ian Fletcher Thornley-Secrets), some songs on Dave Grohl's Sound City project.  you name it. check it out. his solo stuff is great, but he doesn't have a classic lead singer voice. can take a bit getting used to. 
    Dude - you gotta get on the Eleven stuff ASAP! LOL! I LOVE Eleven - was into them early on, and also a big fan of Alain's solo work and other projects. I love their 2nd album 'Thunk' - basically they recorded just over half of it before Jack Irons joined Pearl Jam, then Matt Cameron came in and finished up the last 4 tracks. It's great, 'cause I'm a fan of both drummers and their styles, and you really get a taste of both throughout this album. It's pretty interesting how those 2 drummers followed each other from one band to the next!
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    Releasing stuff on cassette in 207 is just helping destroy the planet with more plastic.
    But vinyl records are ok?
  • Options
    Bump for those who didn't know about this Record Store Day Black Friday 2017  ... release.

• Options
    @ dine alone records

MONDAYS ARE GARBAGE BUT SALES ARE NOT. 

20% off everything in our store, starting at midnight! Use the discount code 'CYBER20' for anything your heart desires.

GO GET 'EM.

• Options
    Cassettes arrived :)

• Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    demetrios said:

Nice! Got my shipping confirmation end of last week, so hopefully later this week I'll be able to pop this baby in my Walkman! :)
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Nice! Got my shipping confirmation end of last week, so hopefully later this week I'll be able to pop this baby in my Walkman! :)
    It's funny but I just received my shipping confirmation email this afternoon just before picking up this package @ my community mail box.
  • Options
    foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 726
    mine came too...nice item
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
  • Options
    mine came too...nice item
    It is. :)
  • Options

“Time Can’t Wait” is featured on the Dine Alone Records Winter Sampler!
    FREE download: http://bit.ly/DAwinter17

• Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 479
    Thank you sweet baby cheeses.

its finally arrived from Canananananada - after 2 1/2 months!
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Options
    Enzed said:

2 1/2 months? Where was it shipped to?
  • Options
    EnzedEnzed NZ Posts: 479
    demetrios said:
    Enzed said:

2 1/2 months? Where was it shipped to?
    New Zealand.
    Auckland 1 1995
    Auckland 1998
    EV (Neil Finn and Friends, April 2, 2001)
    Auckland 2009
    Auckland 2014
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I picked my copy up from Dine Alone's physical store in Toronto and they threw in one of the purple casette tapes. Double win.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    radarradar Posts: 768
    MedozK said:
    So far 3 versions. Blue/White Split, Blue/Black, and Black. Wonder how many others will show up?
    so do we finnally know how many color variants were pressed?
  • Options
    I really dig the artwork to this album.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Matt's cassette tape still available for https://www.dinealonestore.com/products/matt-cameron-cavedweller-cs