Options

New Moby

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Anyone listened to the new album yet? Check out his trippy new video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_oabU77GY

I liked his last three albums - Play was a classic - but I think it was about time to get back to more uptempo stuff.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    No Moby fans around here?
  • Options
    Pretty good. The video is cool.. but he seems to always use the same drum track.. which is slightly annoying.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I reviewed the album....pretty good in a nostalgic kind of way. Real talent that man has.

Romantic elegy for a vanished world
    by Clare O'Brien

This is a deeply romantic album -- in the sense that it's a journey through memory, a conceptual stroll through the sensations of a typical night out in NYC in the 80s or 90s.

So the night starts wild and jubilant with the old school "I Love To Move In Here", featuring Grandmaster Caz of the Cold Crush Brothers and moves onto a homage to every crazy rave anthem (Black Box's "Ride on Time", anyone?) with "Everyday It's Like 1989". And the mechanistic "257.zero" evokes a haunted landscape of digital bewilderment before lapsing into the rich, weary sophistication of "Live For Tomorrow" and "Hyenas", the latter featuring a swooning Algerian French vocal; Piaf meets Grace Jones at 4am under a stuttering streetlight.

Elsewhere Moby revisits early 90s house with "Disco Lies" and employs a rap from Ainzli Jones and Nigerian hip-hop act 419 Group for futuristic hip-hop outing "Alice". The guttural desperation of the Moroder-ish "I'm In Love" recalls Crystal Waters "She's Homeless" more than it does the smooth sensuality of a Donna Summer.

But as the album swoops to a blissfully exhausted close with its lovely title track, the elegiac quality of the album is clear as first daylight. "If this be my last night on earth," sings Kudu's Sylvia Gordon, "let me remember this for all that it's worth."

Self-referential maybe - but not dated so much as a romantic elegy for a vanished elysium.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • Options
    hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    heard it and hmmmm....i really think he will ever top "Play"
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    i personally liked his "band" phase for hotel. that was a wicked tour, they played everything live. this is a step back to his roots and is supposed to encompass the history of electronic music from start to finish. its okay....play was a monster, tough to top.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Song number four and ten are my favorites.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    not a huge Moby fan but heard "Are You Lost In the World Like Me ?" the other day and again today and it's real good. video is also pretty good!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VASywEuqFd8

his other song isn't too bad either
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtL3Jsl2ieE
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,890
    Vinyl, Me Please is reissuing Moby's 'Play' on translucent turquoise vinyl as their Record of the Month for January 2018. If you're interested in getting it, you can use this referral link to get $10 VMP store credit when you join: http://fbuy.me/eM55k