Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    For me Ragged Glory was major Neil/Horse release.  I love how they came back from some time out in the pasture to hit it hard on those great jams, mix it up with some great classic songs and wind it up with Neil's semi-live love song to his Mother (Earth).

Here's how I score the songs:
    Country home: 9.5
    White Line: 10
    F#ckin' Up: 11 (bonus point for best ever use of F-bomb in a song).
    Over and Over: 10
    Love to Burn: 10
    Farmer John: 8
    Mansion on the Hill: 9
    Days that Used to Be: 8.5
    Love and Only Love: 10
    Mother Earth (Natural Anthem): 11 (bonus point for Mother Earth)
    = 97
    ÷ 10
    = 97%

Solid!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2017
    Mother Earth is a slog.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited December 2017
    I don't believe in using a 10 scale for ratings (or a 20 scale like you). And an album has more things to take into account than the songs. But here would be mine:

Country Home - 3
    White Line - 3
    Fucking Up - 4
    Over and over - 3
    Love to Burn - 4
    Farmer John - 2
    Mansion on the Hill - 3
    The Days that used to be - 3
    Love and only Love - 5
    Mother Earth - 2

32 / 10 = 3,2 song average or 64% on the Neil-percentage-scale.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Harvest Moon (1992). Might be my favorite album of all time. Flawless. Every song soaked in the most lovely of atmospheres. Magic.

• Sleeps with Angels (1994). The dark mood engulfs you. The title track - inspired by the death of Kurt Cobain - is haunting and a standout together with Driveby and Change your Mind. Don't know how Piece of Crap got on here. Sounds like a Ragged Glory leftover. Train of Love > Western Hero.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    has anyone heard his new song (it's a month old) Already Great? I heard it on the Neil Young station on Pandora and it's really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MIYJnZ3OnE
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Already Great, is great!  
  • my2hands said:
    Already Great, is great!  
    Fly By Night Deal (If Thats the correct title) is the albums killer track. Haha. 
    edited December 2017

I don't believe in using a 10 scale for ratings (or a 20 scale like you). And an album has more things to take into account than the songs. But here would be mine:

Country Home - 3
    White Line - 3
    Fucking Up - 4
    Over and over - 3
    Love to Burn - 4
    Farmer John - 2
    Mansion on the Hill - 3
    Love and only Love - 5
    Mother Earth - 2

Your scale looks more like 32% to me.

To be honest, I don't believe in using scales or grades-- I don't even know why I did that, LOL.  We all hear differently.  My rating doesn't mean a thing unless someone hears the music through my ears which is impossible.  So scales/grades don't really make sense.    But no matter, for me, that album rocks big time.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited December 2017
    brianlux said:

Country Home - 3
    White Line - 3
    Fucking Up - 4
    Over and over - 3
    Love to Burn - 4
    Farmer John - 2
    Mansion on the Hill - 3
    Love and only Love - 5
    Mother Earth - 2

To be honest, I don't believe in using scales or grades-- I don't even know why I did that, LOL.  We all hear differently.  My rating doesn't mean a thing unless someone hears the music through my ears which is impossible.  So scales/grades don't really make sense.    But no matter, for me, that album rocks big time.

Yes it does rock big time :) 

And math clearly isn't my strong suit :)

EDIT: Oh wait. 3,2 out of 5 should be 64%. I should have made me using 5 steps more clearly. I hope you didn't think I thought Love and only Love was 5 out of 10 :open_mouth:
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I love Fly By Night Deal... funky, catchy, badass

• Sleeps with Angels (1994). The dark mood engulfs you. The title track - inspired by the death of Kurt Cobain - is haunting and a standout together with Driveby and Change your Mind. Don't know how Piece of Crap got on here. Sounds like a Ragged Glory leftover. Train of Love > Western Hero.

This culminated a great stretch of releases for my personal tastes. It was four top shelf albums in a row. I need to pull this one out of the archives and listen to it again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    brianlux said:

Country Home - 3
    White Line - 3
    Fucking Up - 4
    Over and over - 3
    Love to Burn - 4
    Farmer John - 2
    Mansion on the Hill - 3
    Love and only Love - 5
    Mother Earth - 2

EDIT: Oh wait. 3,2 out of 5 should be 64%. I should have made me using 5 steps more clearly. I hope you didn't think I thought Love and only Love was 5 out of 10 :open_mouth:
    Oh my, I did! Now I can see you like that album way more than I thought at first!  :plus_one:

Sleeps with Angels (1994). The dark mood engulfs you. The title track - inspired by the death of Kurt Cobain - is haunting and a standout together with Driveby and Change your Mind. Don't know how Piece of Crap got on here. Sounds like a Ragged Glory leftover. Train of Love > Western Hero.

This culminated a great stretch of releases for my personal tastes. It was four top shelf albums in a row. I need to pull this one out of the archives and listen to it again.
    Sleeps With Angels is an Excellent album.  For my own ears, I'm right with Spiritual_Chaos on the 4 out of 5 star rating.  There are some (for me) weaker numbers that prevented it from being 5 out of 5 but I can skip those and get right to the great stuff.  Add to that the excellent "Complex Sessions film"!

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Piece of CR-A-A-A-A-A-A-AP! :lol:

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I actually like that song haha
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Country Home - 3
    White Line - 3
    Fucking Up - 4
    Over and over - 3
    Love to Burn - 4
    Farmer John - 2
    Mansion on the Hill - 3
    Love and only Love - 5
    Mother Earth - 2

Oh my, I did! Now I can see you like that album way more than I thought at first!  :plus_one:
    For me, 2 key questions when reviewing an album are:

1. "Does it have F*!#in' Up, Over and Over, and Love To Burn back-to-back?"
    If the answer is Yes, then that's a 4-Star rating right there

2. "Does it also have Mansion on the Hill, Days That Used To Be, and Love and Only Love back to back on the flip side?" 
    If the answer is Yes, then you have a 5-Star record for sure

:plus_one:
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • I always thought Eddie singing about the CDs sounding digitally clean was an adlib form him. Never seen this version before :O
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Crank it up fuckers!!!!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    :rock_on:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    It's finally surfaced! I quite like it, it actually kinda works. It's definitely got a cool groove
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    It's finally surfaced! I quite like it, it actually kinda works. It's definitely got a cool groove
    Yes. And surprised by Neils strong vocals. 

Nice song.
  • Crank it up fuckers!!!!

Obvious photoshop.
    Crank it up fuckers!!!!

Obvious photoshop.
    Oh?
    Crank it up fuckers!!!!

Obvious photoshop.
    Huh?  Looks just like my copy.

• Crank it up fuckers!!!!

Obvious photoshop.
    Oh?
    brianlux said:
    Crank it up fuckers!!!!

Obvious photoshop.
    Huh?  Looks just like my copy.
    Just joking.

• Mirror Ball (1995). Neil ditching Crazy Horse for his new BFFs Pearl Jam. Recorded in just 4 days and the live feel and droning loosenes of the songs adds to it. But I also understand it can feel tiring. Too bad Eddie was gone for much of the recordings, but we did get the two excellent Pearl Jam songs I Got ID and Long Road on the accompanying Merkin Ball single. And his verse on Peace and Love is a highlight. 

• Broken Arrow (1996). My favorite album featuring Crazy Horse. Bias pulls it up to a five. Love the tone of it. Love Neils voice. Love the songs and the lyrics. Slip Away, Scattered and Music Arcade are amazing. And the B-side Interstate (from the Ragged Glory sessions) is a gem.