Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    igotid88 said:
    Jack Morris and Alan Trammell getting inducted in the Baseball Hall of Fame. I still think Don Mattingly is more deserving than Trammell.

"With 12 votes required for entry, former catcher Ted Simmons received 11 votes, former MLB Players Association leader Marvin Miller received seven and Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker and Luis Tiant each received fewer than seven votes (the Hall did not reveal their exact tallies)."
    The Hall of Good...
    The Hall of Great. Also better than Trammell
    I miss igotid88
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited December 2017
    Wobbie said:
    You mean Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg?? :wink:

so over-rated.
    Your anti-Cubs bias is showing.  Seriously, you cheer on someone fucking another man's wife??

Consider yourself lucky that we got to see the 3 best second baseman of all time in our lifetime. (Alomar, Kent)
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Ohtani has elbow damage and is recovering from ankle surgery. Why in the world was this guy so hyped?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Wobbie said:

so over-rated.
    Your anti-Cubs bias is showing.  Seriously, you cheer on someone fucking another man's wife??

Consider yourself lucky that we got to see the 3 best second baseman of all time in our lifetime. (Alomar, Kent)

kent > sandberg

but the chicago bias got sandberg in.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

so over-rated.

kent > sandberg

Bias? He’s a top 3 second baseman ever.
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

so over-rated.

kent > sandberg

You must be day drinking again...

9 consecutive gold gloves.  At the time he hit 40 HR's NO 2nd BASEMAN WAS EVEN COMING CLOSE!!!  Highest paid baseball player at one time, because of the Chicago bias and not because he was that good I'm sure?
    Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

so over-rated.

kent > sandberg

9 consecutive gold gloves.  At the time he hit 40 HR's NO 2nd BASEMAN WAS EVEN COMING CLOSE!!!  Highest paid baseball player at one time, because of the Chicago bias and not because he was that good I'm sure?
    I'll add...  First 2B since Rogers Hornsby in 1925 to lead the league in HR and only the 3rd ever at the time to hit 40 in a season (Horsnby, Davey Johnson).  He was also at one time the only player ever to hit 19 triples and steal 50 bases at any time in his career - and did both in the same season (1984, NL MVP).  Also had the record for most consecutive errorless games & chances by a 2nd baseman with 123 and 582 respectively.  NL records that stood for over 2 decades.  Had the highest career fielding % and more HR than any 2B in history at the time he retired.  And those 9 consecutive Gold Gloves - a record for all 2nd basemen consecutively and NL overall.  In fact, only 20 players in history have more Gold Gloves than Sandberg and only 8 of those are infielders.  Most overall and consecutive SIlver Sluggers by a 2B in ML history.  Led the NL in runs scored 3 times, was named to 10 All-Star teams, helped lead the Cubs to their first 2 division titles since 1945, and batted .385 in the postseason.  And when you talk about the most lopsided trades in ML history, Ivan DeJesus for Ryne Sandberg is always at the top of the list.

So overrated. :weary:
  • DewieCox said:
    Ohtani has elbow damage and is recovering from ankle surgery. Why in the world was this guy so hyped?
    He doesn't need his elbow to hit so that is still a plus if he can't pitch anymore.

He will still be making the league minimum for the next 3 years so it's still not a huge gamble for the Angels.

If he ends up hitting, pitching or just average, the Angels will be ok.

It does suck that he needs surgery though.
  • Wobbie said:
    Wobbie said:

so over-rated.

kent > sandberg

I'll add...  First 2B since Rogers Hornsby in 1925 to lead the league in HR and only the 3rd ever at the time to hit 40 in a season (Horsnby, Davey Johnson).  He was also at one time the only player ever to hit 19 triples and steal 50 bases at any time in his career - and did both in the same season (1984, NL MVP).  Also had the record for most consecutive errorless games & chances by a 2nd baseman with 123 and 582 respectively.  NL records that stood for over 2 decades.  Had the highest career fielding % and more HR than any 2B in history at the time he retired.  And those 9 consecutive Gold Gloves - a record for all 2nd basemen consecutively and NL overall.  In fact, only 20 players in history have more Gold Gloves than Sandberg and only 8 of those are infielders.  Most overall and consecutive SIlver Sluggers by a 2B in ML history.  Led the NL in runs scored 3 times, was named to 10 All-Star teams, helped lead the Cubs to their first 2 division titles since 1945, and batted .385 in the postseason.  And when you talk about the most lopsided trades in ML history, Ivan DeJesus for Ryne Sandberg is always at the top of the list.

So overrated. :weary:
    19 triples.  I remember that.  Huge stat back in the day!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    DewieCox said:
    He doesn't need his elbow to hit so that is still a plus if he can't pitch anymore.

He will still be making the league minimum for the next 3 years so it's still not a huge gamble for the Angels.

If he ends up hitting, pitching or just average, the Angels will be ok.

It does suck that he needs surgery though.
    Batting left-handed might not help? Considering his right elbow (bottom hand, too) is hurt. Still could be a concerned hitting. But, they're saying it's a first degree strain, and some pitchers, have been able to pitch with that. We'll have to see what he can do in Spring Training as far as pitching & hitting.

And, like you said, it's not costing the Angels much, so even if he needs TJ surgery he'll be back and still young. 24 or 25?
    Kirby did just enough to get in. Donnie wasn’t quite as good as Kirby.
    DewieCox said:
    Kirby did just enough to get in. Donnie wasn’t quite as good as Kirby.
    The only thing keeping Donnie Baseball out is no World Series and he played first base. If he were a shortstop he would be given more consideration.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    If you look at there career stats they are wayyyy closer than I thought.  Kirby shouldn't be in either now that I look at it.
    edited December 2017
    Puckett played 2 fewer seasons and had 200 more hits basically the same rbi and hr numbers and came up pretty big in his 2WS wins. He was a lock for 3000 hits before his career was cut short. Defensively they’re pretty even, though hard to quantify 1bnvs outfield.

Also, there’s more to clutch hitting than late game numbers.

Post edited by DewieCox on
    Kirby was one of my favorites when I was a kid.  Such an exciting player to watch.  Sucks that the only time he ever hit the disabled list was ultimately the end of his career.  'Twas a sad day for baseball when he died.  Who can forget this classic moment and iconic pose?

DewieCox said:
    Puckett played 2 fewer seasons and had 200 more hits basically the same rbi and hr numbers and came up pretty big in his 2WS wins. He was a lock for 3000 hits before his career was cut short. Defensively they’re pretty even, though hard to quantify 1bnvs outfield.

Also, there’s more to clutch hitting than late game numbers.

Mattingly barely played those first 2 years. And also missed a lot of games late. So you can say he played 12 full seasons as well. He was also headed for more than 3000 hits
    I miss igotid88
    edited December 2017
    He wasn’t forced to retire and would’ve needed 4 or 5 more seasons to get 3000 and that’s using his better single season numbers and as you point out, he was breaking down. 

Pucket was 4 seasons away using his average numbers and his retirement was caused by a freak thing.

Mattingly probably had the higher peak, but he didn’t keep that up for long at all.

Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited December 2017
    DewieCox said:
    He wasn’t forced to retire and would’ve needed 4 or 5 more seasons to get 3000 and that’s using his better single season numbers and as you point out, he was breaking down. 

Pucket was 4 seasons away using his average numbers and his retirement was caused by a freak thing.

Mattingly probably had the higher peak, but he didn’t keep that up for long at all.

Mattingly's back started acting up around 88-89. Maybe a little earlier. Even then he wasn't an awful hitter. He lost his power. He was 34 as well when he retired. He did find a new way of hitting in '95 when he started using the leg kick. He has stated he wished he used that much earlier. He was still good enough to stay on the ballot for as long as you're allowed. And to be given a 2nd look for consideration.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    Giants acquire Evan Longoria
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    I really like him.  He will never make the Hall of Good but I do like him.
    Damn, wanted the Cards to get him. They do well with players like him and they need all the infield d they can get. Guess they’re going hard after Donaldson though. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    DewieCox said:
    Damn, wanted the Cards to get him. They do well with players like him and they need all the infield d they can get. Guess they’re going hard after Donaldson though. 
    Too bad the Cards couldn't 'catch' (see what i did there?...NFL thread) Stanton.  Didn't want to play for the "Best Fans In Baseball TM"
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Longoria is the man.  Just horrible the Rays felt the need to trade him away.  
    igotid88 said:

I don’t know WTF my Giants are thinking....Eva is going to make no difference on our train wreck of a team....and they gave up one of the few prospects we had :angry:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    puckett and sandberg....both overrated.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    no doubt frank “nugenix” thomas was a juicer :no_mouth:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    puckett and sandberg....both overrated.
    Come on, man.  We agree on a lot but you're dead wrong here.