Sun Kil Moon (Mark Kozelek)

7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
edited August 2006 in Other Music
any fans here?

for those of you who don't know anything by mark kozelek, you should check it out. he and his band used to be known as the red house painters but he's now known as sun kil moon. they released a compilation of modest mouse covers last fall that was decent, but their album "ghosts of the great highway" was easily one of the most beautiful albums of 2003. simply stunning. check out "carry me ohio" if you can find any of his stuff to download, or just buy the album.
they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Carry me Ohio is one of the best songs ever.

I've seen Mark a million times, awesome.
  • Penny453Penny453 Posts: 200
    Carry me Ohio is one of the best songs ever.

I've seen Mark a million times, awesome.
    I went to go see someone else and they had that playing before the singer came out. Beautiful song...I own their 1st album on cd and vinyl..and the second album on cd..I think it's a cover of modest mouse songs from what someone told me? He's singing here in May, I hope I remember to go.
    "And even when I'm right with you I'm so far away"
  • I've always been a big red house painters fan and his new stuff is spot on. Both albums are so good to put on and hang out to. keep it coming mark.
    What?!? No, We can't stop here, this is bat country.
  • artjamartjam Posts: 227
    I had to post here even though its old. I recently discovered Mark in the movie "shopgirl". He performs in the movie in a fake band, but i was thinking wow what a voice, so i looked into it and wow.... Everything I have heard, Red House Painters, Mark's solo stuff, Sun Kil Moon, is amazing. Blew me away. He and his bands are definately in my top 10 now. And yes, Carry Me Ohio is one of the most beautiful things ive ever heard.
  • bigpermbigperm Posts: 46
    I've seen Mark a couple times in concert. His concerts apparently are hit or miss because he can be a real asshole sometimes. But, he is one of my favorite vocalists of all time....beautiful voice.

Old Ramon and Ghosts...are my favorite albums, but I think his best song by far is Revelation Big Sur.
    6-29-98 Chicago, 10-9-00 Chicago, 4-23-03 Champaign, 6-18-03 Chicago, 7-1-03 Bristow, 10-1-04 Reading, 10-11-04 DC, 9-30-05 Atlantic City, 5-30-06 DC, 6-17-08 VA Beach, 8-17-08 DC (Ed), 6-15-09 Baltimore (Ed), 5-13-10 Bristow, 10-29-13 Charlottesville, 4-18-16 Hampton
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i think the red house painters and mark are great. have only heard a handful of songs from sun kil... my fave rhp records are self titled
    (rollercoaster) and down colorful hill.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • nepalnepal Posts: 143
    Great album (Ghost Of The Great Highway), just got it a few days ago. Also listened Red House Painters (Down Colorful Hill) which I also like.
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Love him. It's funny, but I always have these moments with artists and musicians where I am convinced of their genius. That moment with him was when I heard the haunting cover of the classic Wings tune Silly Love Songs. I had heard previous albums and I really liked RHP, but when Songs for a Blue Guitar came out and I heard that it was a done deal.

artjam wrote:
    I recently discovered Mark in the movie "shopgirl". He performs in the movie in a fake band,...
    I forgot about that! It was a pleasant surprise to see him in that film.
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    Re-Issue coming next year of Ghosts of the Great Highway up on Amazon.de
    https://www.amazon.de/Ghosts-Great-Highway-Vinyl-LP/dp/B077ZCV7RG
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    "Duk Koo Kim" is an awesome song!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit