KRAKÓW - travel tips and other info

Comments

• VanEyckVanEyck Posts: 171
    Anybody planning on going to Auschwitz on the 4th?
    I am - if not the previous day, is there a bus tour? Or are you going on your own? Thanks...
  • VanEyck said:
    Anybody planning on going to Auschwitz on the 4th?
    I am - if not the previous day, is there a bus tour? Or are you going on your own? Thanks...
    A friend of mine that has friends in Krakow is looking into the logistics. I'll let you know when I have more information.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Does anyone have recommendations for hostels in Krakow? 
    The Let's Rock Hostel for $20 a night seems pretty interesting. That's where i'm staying.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375

Just read that. Seems like it would be cheaper to do yourself but I imagine the benefit of skipping the line and the guided tour would be well worth it. Has anyone done the salt mines? They look like a must do as well.
    I went to mines. They are amazing. Tour isn't really long and I thought it was beautiful. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Thanks for the info guys..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Thinking of doing this now. Arriving in Prague the day of the show. Getting situated and explore the city. Stay at the hotel after the show. Explore the city again on the 2nd. Get a night train into Krakow. Explore the city Stay in the hotel after the show. Do the Auschwitz/Salt Mine tour the next day and do the train night train on the 4th to Berlin. 
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    Does anyone have recommendations for hostels in Krakow? 
    One World Hostel was pretty good when I was there a few years back.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    edited December 2017
    I'm doing the Prague-Krakow-Berlin jaunt as well. Looking at trains, I think I'll get into Krakow at around 5.30pm, so if anyone is up for a few (inevitably cheap) drinks it would be good see a few of you.

I think I'm staying at something called P&H Apartments that's very much in the city centre.
    Post edited by SpinTheLastExit on
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • BigrfishBigrfish Edmonton, AB Canada Posts: 260
    edited December 2017
    PJNB said:
    Thinking of doing this now. Arriving in Prague the day of the show. Getting situated and explore the city. Stay at the hotel after the show. Explore the city again on the 2nd. Get a night train into Krakow. Explore the city Stay in the hotel after the show. Do the Auschwitz/Salt Mine tour the next day and do the train night train on the 4th to Berlin. 
    This might work...I know the train is a fairly long trip(14 hrs-Krakow to Berlin) but a cabin for two on PolRail is around 668PZ(120.00 Cdn) each. Based on regular schedules you can leave Krakow at around 9:30pm Wednesday night and arrive in Berlin around noon on Thursday. I'm kinda liking this option. BYOB
    Cheers
    Dino
    Post edited by Bigrfish on
    I'll bring the Tequila.
    Bigrfish said:
    PJNB said:
    This might work...I know the train is a fairly long trip(14 hrs-Krakow to Berlin) but a cabin for two on PolRail is around 668PZ(120.00 Cdn) each. Based on regular schedules you can leave Krakow at around 9:30pm Wednesday night and arrive in Berlin around noon on Thursday. I'm kinda liking this option. BYOB
    Cheers
    Dino
    Looking at the bus schedule from Krakow to Berlin it looks a lot more forgiving. There is a 9 hr ride that leaves at 22:30 and a more ideal 7 hour ride that leaves at 21:20. That would be a long day traveling to be honest of the train bus is doable and probably more comfortable. We will have a while to decide since the schedules are not out yet so lets keep planning! I am sure there is a perfect set up out there lol. 
    I hear ya... Still time to plan which is a good thing...I'll still bring the Tequila
    I can handle the bus ride at 7 Hrs.. even 9 Hrs would be ok.. Just want to get as much in as possible..Hangin with PJ folk on the bus,train or plane would make the trip.
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    Bigrfish said:
    PJNB said:
    Cheers
    Dino
    I’ve gone back and forth on day train vs night train to Berlin. The question comes down to whether I want more Krakow time or more Berlin time. If I can see Auschwitz on the 3rd then I’m thinking more Berlin time which means taking the day train on the 4th
    PJNB said:
    No pre-parties Jeff???..you own me a beer..lol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    PJNB said:
    Bigrfish said:
    PJNB said:
    Cheers
    Dino
    Looking at the bus schedule from Krakow to Berlin it looks a lot more forgiving. There is a 9 hr ride that leaves at 22:30 and a more ideal 7 hour ride that leaves at 21:20. That would be a long day traveling to be honest of the train bus is doable and probably more comfortable. We will have a while to decide since the schedules are not out yet so lets keep planning! I am sure there is a perfect set up out there lol. 
    There is the Prague-Krakow-Berlin bus that has already organized. Train trip takes 6-7 hours. There is also a night bus. And of course plenty of time ahead to decide what to do.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
    23scidoo said:
    PJNB said:
    No pre-parties Jeff???..you own me a beer..lol
    Ah shit. Did not think of the preparties....
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    So jealous of those going to this show. I have been listening to the Katowice II show from 2000 and it's still one of my favorites all time. Probably be the show of the tour. Hail, Hail the lucky ones!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • I'm staying at Cracow Riverside Aparthotel, Krakow. 
    I also booked there ;)
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    we work on the preparty,,will be the best one.,.plus after party
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    Are pre parties usually the day before? Really having trouble fitting in travel and sightseeing... 
    PJNB said:
    Are pre parties usually the day before? Really having trouble fitting in travel and sightseeing... 
    in europe yes,,cos people go in ga line the day of the shows early
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • alesekalesek Posts: 809
    Its gonna be a long day then .... :)
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    poland is going to be awesome
    danny d
    edited December 2017
    Can I get a head count on who is going to Auschwitz and what dates are you going? Also what day were you going? I am thinking of doing this on the 4th but would miss the Berlin preparty doing so. The other option is to do it on the 2nd by catching a night train/bus after the show but that would make for a long day depending on how much sleep we would get on our travels. 

Edit: Also it would be great to know if you are doing the tour on your own and finding your own way there or paying for an all in package from Krakow. Seems like most start at 8:00am and finish at 4:00pm 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Get on the Dimi-Train. That's the best advice you'll ever get here.
    www.cluthelee.com
    this will be THE show..u heard it here first..
    Belvedere!!!!!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    My friend and I are doing Auschwitz on the 4th, probably late morning.

Flying to Prague on the 29th, getting overnight train on the 2nd to arrive in Krakow on the morning of the 3rd. Then sightseeing on the 4th, night train to Berlin arriving early morning on the 5th, then flying home on the 7th.

I'm SO EXCITED.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Does anyone have recommendations for hostels in Krakow? 
    One World Hostel was pretty good when I was there a few years back.
    Aye, there seem to lots of good ones. Some of us are staying at "Lets Rock" Hostel... the more the merrier!