PSA: Check your passport (Americans going to Europe 2018)

curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
Take it from someone who learned the hard way -- my husband was turned away at passport control in Munich in 2014, and we missed all of the Europe shows for which we had tickets (so much for that 20th-anniversary celebration). If your passport expires less than six months after the date on your return ticket, you will not be allowed through passport control. I was advised that it is best to renew your passport if it expires in less than one year.

So, I suggest that you make this part of your travel preparations.
All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Comments

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    Take it from someone who learned the hard way -- my husband was turned away at passport control in Munich in 2014, and we missed all of the Europe shows for which we had tickets (so much for that 20th-anniversary celebration). If your passport expires less than six months after the date on your return ticket, you will not be allowed through passport control. I was advised that it is best to renew your passport if it expires in less than one year.

Excellent info. It's easy to forget these "minor" things!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    Saw this happen on a cruise ship. Good advice and stupid rule imo. Sorry that happened to you guys. 
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 493
    i've heard/read this 6 month thing many times. why? your passport isn't expired so why can't it be used? technically my passport 'expires' 6 months before the date then, right? i don't get it. anyone know why this is?
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,880
    That is messed up. Thank you for sharing this information. I had never heard of this ridiculous "rule".
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Info here, under How long is a passport valid and is it true that it needs to have at least 6 months of validity remaining?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/faqs.html
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Great advice and easy to over look.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    What I was told -- and I don't know if it's true -- is that the US started requiring that passports be valid for 3-6 months beyond a visitor's stated date of departure, and so the countries that are party to the Schengen agreement responded in kind.

Country information can be found here. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html   We landed in Munich, and Germany is very serious about that six-month rule. I think my husband missed the cutoff by a week. :-(
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Oh, and as to why: Again, I'm guessing. Schengen countries allow you (an American) to stay for up to 90 days without a visa. My guess is it's a rule established to avoid illegal immigration. But, having spent time in a detention room, I tend to agree that it sure feels like a stupid rule when you just wanted to celebrate your anniversary and see PJ.
  • KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748

This is accurate so take heed.  I was recently denied traveling to Singapore for business because my passport was not valid for more than 6 months.  Missed the whole trip, nothing i could do.  So yes, it is real and you cant talk your way into the country.  Get them renewed.  Dont wait either. 
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    This is fairly common, although I'm not sure why. I never travel with less than 6 months validity on my passport. No exceptions.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I'm a Canadian who travels fairly frequently to the US. When my passport got within 6 months of expiry, suddenly I started to have more trouble crossing into the US. I was never denied, but I got rejected every time by the automatic passport scan machines and had a more thorough discussion with the Customs officials. The problem was, I had no idea why, because no one ever said what the issue was. It took several runs through this before I asked what was going on. 

Moral of this thread - always make sure you have more than six clear months left on your passport before you travel. Anywhere.  
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,413
    That sucks that happened. Those who need that info should appreciate it. Nice info.

How/where, can you get a Passport? (If by some Miracle i can get over to Europe, i'll need one)
  • Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 237
    I believe that it came in as a general rule when majority of countries started to do evisas and visas on arrival and it was a way of ensuring that if something happened whilst on your holiday and your passport then expired in the meantime there would be cushion to ensure you went back home with an in date document- it would run a greater risk of overstaying in that country of your passport was then no longer valid. I have however travelled when i only had 3 months left on my passport to Italy several years ago however they were more lapse because both EU countries so not such a major problem. I dont think they would allow it now because of security threat levels. 
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    bump!
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    Suziemay said:
    This is fairly common, although I'm not sure why. I never travel with less than 6 months validity on my passport. No exceptions.

www.cluthelee.com
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    cutz said:
    That sucks that happened. Those who need that info should appreciate it. Nice info.

How/where, can you get a Passport? (If by some Miracle i can get over to Europe, i'll need one)
    post office
    cutz said:

post office
    Thanks
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

My passport expires in February, and a renewal is already in the works!!
    Stoked for my 2 shows in London. :rock_on:

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

I got my passport.

So, when i booked my flights it said that i "may" need a Visa? I checked the Countries i'm going to on this website  https://visacentral.com/?login=85001&utm_campaign=expedia&utm_medium=1&utm_source=us&rfrr=flt.itin.visasite

This website is telling me i do NOT need a Visa for the Countries(UK, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany & Iceland) i'll be traveling in. Is this website reliable? or does someone know if i need a Visa for those Countries i'll be in?

Appreciate the HELP. 
  • Take it from someone who learned the hard way -- my husband was turned away at passport control in Munich in 2014, and we missed all of the Europe shows for which we had tickets (so much for that 20th-anniversary celebration). If your passport expires less than six months after the date on your return ticket, you will not be allowed through passport control. I was advised that it is best to renew your passport if it expires in less than one year.

Thanks so much for this valuable info! I'll be traveling to Europe in June, and just noticed my passport expires in May of this year!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727
    cutz said:
    I got my passport.

So, when i booked my flights it said that i "may" need a Visa? I checked the Countries i'm going to on this website  https://visacentral.com/?login=85001&utm_campaign=expedia&utm_medium=1&utm_source=us&rfrr=flt.itin.visasite

This website is telling me i do NOT need a Visa for the Countries(UK, Czech Republic, Poland, Germany & Iceland) i'll be traveling in. Is this website reliable? or does someone know if i need a Visa for those Countries i'll be in?

Appreciate the HELP. 
    Passport is fine as long as you are there under 3 months I believe.
  • RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    cutz said:
    I got my passport.

Appreciate the HELP. 
    Welcome to the real free world. 
    You don’t need a visa for these countries. Only a passport to leave USA and enter the glorious Europe :)
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
    RideRick said:
    cutz said:
    I got my passport.

Appreciate the HELP. 
    Welcome to the real free world. 
    You don’t need a visa for these countries. Only a passport to leave USA and enter the glorious Europe :)
    Thank You
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 890
    PJNB said:
    cutz said:
    I got my passport.

Appreciate the HELP. 
    Passport is fine as long as you are there under 3 months I believe.
    Europe is 6 Months.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,071
    thanks for your post.. totally forgot my passport expires this month and I'll probably be heading to Seattle in August :)