Rank Quentin Tarantino Movies

13»

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    dankind said:
    Again, why does Inglorius get so much love?!?

No one has really pointed that out for me yet.
    The first 15 minutes or so at the French farm is one of the finest sequences ever filmed. It's a gratuitous shit show after that, though.
    RiotZact said:

Where do I start?! The farm scene is an all-time classic, Quentin himself called it the best scene he’s ever done. I also adore the introduction to the Bastards scene, so many amazing quotes. The evil Nazi guy who’s name I can’t remember right now (Hans something?) is one of the best QT characters ever. The bar in the basement scene, the movie theater sequence, Aldo’s Italian accent! I could go on and on. And on top of all this he found a way to make his love for vintage cinema practically its own character. 

I actually find myself rewatching Bastards more than any other QT movie, despite Pulp Fiction technically being my favorite. 
    Wow... i never got that much out of it.  I'll have to watch it again.
    The first time I watched it I loved the first two scenes and thought the rest was pretty boring, it wasn’t until the 3rd or 4th viewing that I really started to appreciate the slower moments in the story. I’ve probably seen it 10 or 11 times now. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Inglorious was good, but it just had too many drawn out scenes. Typical for QT I know, but this was even more so.
    Overall good, but could have been better if about 20 minutes were cut out and I thought that end theater scene was sort of dumb (parts of it anyway). They should of had a better plan than to just strap bombs to their legs, I just didnt like it.
    Would probably rank it #3 after Pulp Fiction and Resevior Dogs.
    Couldn't stand Jackie Brown, and Hateful Eight was only slightly better. All the rest are just in the middle somewhere.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Inglorious Basterds is much easier to watch for me when I bear in mind the whole time that it's a fable. Otherwise, the whole enterprise seems dumb.

Also, Christoph Waltz's portrayal of Hans Landa is just fantastic. So much so that most of the scenes without him in it pale in comparison to the scenes that he is in.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Who couldn't love Eli Roth bashing in a Nazi skull then going apeshit pretending to be Ted Williams winning the game for the Red Sox?
    Wonder how the Manson Murders movie will be?  His first attempt at a story based on factual events, should be interesting.  Supposedly he is to direct a Star Trek movie as well, with JJ Abrams producing.
    Wonder how the Manson Murders movie will be?  His first attempt at a story based on factual events, should be interesting.  Supposedly he is to direct a Star Trek movie as well, with JJ Abrams producing.
    I think that his new movie will be about the Manson murders in the same way that Bastards was about WW2. He’s already laughed at the media for calling it a Mansion movie. I heard something about the main character being a fictional aspiring Hollywood actor at the time of the murders and the murders somehow fuck with his career or something. 

I don’t think the Star Trek thing will go through, even if they do let it be rated R they’ll still put too much of a leash on him somehow and he won’t do it. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2017

Because it's awesome! ;)
    I personally love it because every single second of it is just so fucking entertaining IMO. Also, Christoph Waltz is absolutely amazing in it (I love him!). Finally, I just dig movies about Nazi fucks getting what they deserve, and if you can show that and still have some comedy in there that works, then that is impressive to me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Who couldn't love Eli Roth bashing in a Nazi skull then going apeshit pretending to be Ted Williams winning the game for the Red Sox?
    Lol, that too! As an Eli Roth fan (even though I think he might be a dick in real life), I think Eli Roth's part in it is rad.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Because it's awesome! ;)
    I personally love it because every single second of it is just so fucking entertaining IMO. Also, Christoph Waltz is absolutely amazing in it (I love him!). Finally, I just dig movies about Nazi fucks getting what they deserve, and if you can show that and still have some comedy in there that works, then that is impressive to me.
    Yeah! As gruesome as it may be, I would be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy watching Hitler’s face being turned into hamburger meat. 
    edited December 2017
    RiotZact said:
    I think that his new movie will be about the Manson murders in the same way that Bastards was about WW2. He’s already laughed at the media for calling it a Mansion movie. I heard something about the main character being a fictional aspiring Hollywood actor at the time of the murders and the murders somehow fuck with his career or something. 

I don’t think the Star Trek thing will go through, even if they do let it be rated R they’ll still put too much of a leash on him somehow and he won’t do it. 
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about Star Trek.  He's been to known to say, on several occasions, that once he makes his 10th film he'll retire from directing.  The Manson film will be the 10th film he's directed.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, that too! As an Eli Roth fan (even though I think he might be a dick in real life), I think Eli Roth's part in it is rad.
    He's from Newton, Massachusetts. It's a foregone conclusion that he's a dick in real life.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    PJ_Soul said:

Because it's awesome! ;)
    totally agree about Chritoph Waltz.  he pretty much stole that movie
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Oscars, BAFTAs, and Golden Globes for both Hans Landa and King Schultz. Amazing actor!
    As much as I love QT, I think Denis Villeneuve may have dethroned him as my favorite currently working director. 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    RiotZact said:
    As much as I love QT, I think Denis Villeneuve may have dethroned him as my favorite currently working director. 
    I like his stuff a lot.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Reservoir Dogs
    Jackie Brown
    Django Unchained
    Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
    Pulp Fiction
    Inglorious Bastards

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    RiotZact said:
    I've only seen Sicario, but it was pretty damn good.  I'd have to say my favorite current-director-who-isn't-Quentin-Tarantino is probably either Ben Affleck or Kathryn Bigelow.
    RiotZact said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure about Star Trek.  He's been to known to say, on several occasions, that once he makes his 10th film he'll retire from directing.  The Manson film will be the 10th film he's directed.
    I've heard him say that, but I thought he meant 10th that he wrote and directed, and he'll retire from writing screenplays and directing them. I think he said he wants to write a novel or play or something afterwards.
     Hateful 8 was only # 8 wasn't it? So he has 2 more coming.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Aren't they all rank?
    Yuk yuk, I kid.

I enjoy Tarantino's films, but I think he's the second most overrated filmmaker behind the godawful Woody Allen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mace1229 said:
    RiotZact said:

I've heard him say that, but I thought he meant 10th that he wrote and directed, and he'll retire from writing screenplays and directing them. I think he said he wants to write a novel or play or something afterwards.
    Technically it’s 9, but he calls it 8. I assume it’s because he considers the Kill Bill movies one movie. 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    rgambs said:
    Aren't they all rank?
    Yuk yuk, I kid.

I enjoy Tarantino's films, but I think he's the second most overrated filmmaker behind the godawful Woody Allen.
    I agree with this a little. Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs are head and shoulders above the rest. I enjoy his other movies, but I wouldn't say they are legendary.
    RiotZact said:
    mace1229 said:
    RiotZact said:

Technically it’s 9, but he calls it 8. I assume it’s because he considers the Kill Bill movies one movie. 
    Thats right, I think he wrote and filmed it all as one, but nobody wanted to release a 4+ hour movie so it split it in two. 
    I'd probably be okay if he's done though. His last few were good and entertaining, but nothing to the caliber of Pulp Fiction or RD.
    I think Reservoir Dogs is super duper overrated personally. I consider it his worst film ... Seems I'm in the minority there though.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2017
    Reservoir Dogs
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Inglourious Basterds
    Kill Bill vol 2
    Django Unchained
    Kill Bill vol 1
    Hateful Eight
    Death Proof
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think Reservoir Dogs is super duper overrated personally. I consider it his worst film ... Seems I'm in the minority there though.
    I like it. A lot.  But it's definitely not his magnum opus.  I don't know how anyone can say it's miles above Basterds.
    edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I like it. A lot.  But it's definitely not his magnum opus.  I don't know how anyone can say it's miles above Basterds.
    Yeah I had it a notch above Bastards for awhile but the rewatchability of Bastards is just too high. Dogs is still some amazing cinema though.

”Why am I Mr. Pink?”
    ”Because you’re a faggot, alright?”

I know faggot is totally not an ok word to say, but I’d be lying if I said that line didn’t crack me the fuck up every time.
    Post edited by RiotZact on
    edited December 2017
    Yeah, i dunno. A lot of the dialogue is good in RD (or was at the time, at least - the style of the dialogue was rather groundbreaking when it came out)... But when I watch it now I'm mostly just thinking "Jesus, shut your trap Harvey." :lol: All the jabbering and yammering in that movie grinds on my nerves after a while.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Reservoir Dogs is miles above Basterds. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    https://youtu.be/FPD5q6DC43M

I know, opinions, personal taste, yadda yadda.  I don't think Tarantino has made a bad film other than the Kill Bills.  I just love sharing that Dr. Cox clip when someone disagrees with me.  All in good fun.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

1) Reservoir Dogs

2) Inglorious Basterds / Once Upon a Time in Hollywood*

4) Django Unchained

5) Kill Bills

6) Jackie Brown

7) Pulp Fiction (great movie, but if I were going to sit down and rewatch one of QT's films, I would choose any of the above over PF)

8) The Hateful Eight

This is a list of my 'favorite' Tarantino Movies. RD gets top billing for sentimentality, but if I had to rank his 'best' films, Once Upon a Time & Inglorious would split top billing, Django would be 3rd & RD would be 4th.

*(it's a coin flip right now for which one I like more... I think it may be OUATIH, but that may also be recency bias)