Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Holy Shit! the NYA is amazing. i got caught in the rabbit hole.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    edited December 2017
    Just watching the simulcast show from the other day & WOW so many songs just AMAZING! Beautiful!

e.t.a. He should sell DVD/blu-rays of the show to raise more $$ for Bridge School. I'd buy one for sure. WOW!
    Post edited by morello on
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I'm ready for a tour 
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    goldrush said:
    Toast is from sessions with Crazy Horse from just before Are You Passionate. When it was ditched, some of the songs ended up on AYP, but with a very different vibe.

Alchemy is a live album from the Psychedelic Pill tour. It was described on Neil's website as the final part of a trilogy (including Live Rust and Weld). There was a logo/cover art on his website at one point, but it was replaced with a crossed-out version. I think they're both in this thread somewhere. It's definitely one I'd love to hear as that was a great tour.
    Yes. Toast as a title sounds rawer than Are you Passionate so that sounds interesting (AYP is great ofc, and the songs + Gateway of Love were great on that tour -- my first)

Don't care about PP. But a live album from that time sounds interesting enough.

Too bad there's not a bunch of B-sides from the Mirroball Session(s).
    These tracklists were featured in Uncut magazine a few months ago. Even though "what follows is the result of research, speculation and pure guesswork..." it's fun trying to piece it all together.

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    Toast is from sessions with Crazy Horse from just before Are You Passionate. When it was ditched, some of the songs ended up on AYP, but with a very different vibe.

Alchemy is a live album from the Psychedelic Pill tour. It was described on Neil's website as the final part of a trilogy (including Live Rust and Weld). There was a logo/cover art on his website at one point, but it was replaced with a crossed-out version. I think they're both in this thread somewhere. It's definitely one I'd love to hear as that was a great tour.
    Yes. Toast as a title sounds rawer than Are you Passionate so that sounds interesting (AYP is great ofc, and the songs + Gateway of Love were great on that tour -- my first)

Don't care about PP. But a live album from that time sounds interesting enough.

Too bad there's not a bunch of B-sides from the Mirroball Session(s).
    These tracklists were featured in Uncut magazine a few months ago. Even though "what follows is the result of research, speculation and pure guesswork..." it's fun trying to piece it all together.

I am really looking forward to hearing "Homefires". but I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to the Alchemy live album.

I went to that tour and it was amazing!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Yeah I'm really looking forward to Alchemy too. It was a great tour (my wife's first Crazy Horse show :) ) There were some cool rarities busted out on that tour

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2017
    Looks like this may be the next live Archives release...

This was posted online earlier:

"I've been going thru some of the code in the amazing new archives and managed to dig up something I presume is the album cover for the Roxy Live album. I haven't been able to find any covers of the other unreleased albums which might be a hint that Roxy Live is next in line for release"

This looks like it will be taken from the first six 'Tonight's the Night' shows during the Roxy grand opening Sept. 20-22, 1973, probably a compilation as opposed to a single show. 
    Either way it will be the first Archives release from the Ditch era!
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    edited December 2017
    That version of Don't Be Denied from the other night is just flat out fucking killer. Stunning.
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    my2hands said:
    That version of Don't Be Denied from the other night is just flat out fucking killer. Stunning.
    I love that song
  • goldrush said:

"I've been going thru some of the code in the amazing new archives and managed to dig up something I presume is the album cover for the Roxy Live album. I haven't been able to find any covers of the other unreleased albums which might be a hint that Roxy Live is next in line for release"

This looks like it will be taken from the first six 'Tonight's the Night' shows during the Roxy grand opening Sept. 20-22, 1973, probably a compilation as opposed to a single show. 
    Saw that on Instagram. Hmm. Not a fan of compilations. But sounds interesting (of course).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Life (1987). Crazy Horse is back, and Neil is getting political. Which makes the record a cool time stamp of the period. I'm also pretty certain that both this album and Landing on Water are four star albums. They both have a lot of strong songs. So maybe I screwed up. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• This Note's for You (1988). Amazing sounding album with some unmemorable songs. The title track has always been fun and the third track Coupe De Ville is truly amazing but Neil needs to work harder to grab me. The addition of horns and the melodies make it an easy listen though and in the future I might look at it more fondly.
    goldrush said:

Those shows will be crazy. from what I have read, Neil and the band were so blasted on tequila that they were seriously fucking with the audience on this tour. should be interesting.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

I'm so thankful for Neil and how lucky I am to soak in his catalog and his lifes work

And he NEVER fucking sold out... NEVER
  • adusickadusick Posts: 1,367
    my2hands said:
    I'm so thankful for Neil and how lucky I am to soak in his catalog and his lifes work

I love this comment, totally agree. A true artist who always takes his own path. What a gift these Archives are. I’ve watched the ‘Home Town’ show twice now and just keep telling myself how damn awesome Neil Young is. 
  • my2hands said:

Definitely! 

And so god damn productive too.
    my2hands said:

Absolutely! Whatever mood you're in, wherever you need to escape to, Neil has an answer.

I don't know of any other artist that follows the muse wherever and whenever it takes them, across different genres and with different bands, and is still authentic. Folk, country, big band, electro, and of course rock, and it never sounds fake or forced. He's one of a kind, that's for sure.

(Tim Rogers)
    my2hands said:

Absolutely! Whatever mood you're in, wherever you need to escape to, Neil has an answer.

I don't know of any other artist that follows the muse wherever and whenever it takes them, across different genres and with different bands, and is still authentic. Folk, country, big band, electro, and of course rock, and it never sounds fake or forced. He's one of a kind, that's for sure.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    So that Roxy release is a fake. 

edited December 2017
    Yep, it seems so - fake news strikes again! That's too bad, I was looking forward to a ditch release.
    It's on the timeline though so I guess it'll be out eventually.

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    adusick said:
    my2hands said:

I love this comment, totally agree. A true artist who always takes his own path. What a gift these Archives are. I’ve watched the ‘Home Town’ show twice now and just keep telling myself how damn awesome Neil Young is. 

my2hands said:

Definitely! 

And so god damn productive too.

goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Yes, yes, yes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Freedom (1989). A definite return to form. Third time Neil starts and ends a record with the same song - this time with the iconic Rockin' in the free world. Always nice to hear Neils version after being bombarded with a million Pearl Jam covers. Crime in the City and Don't Cry deserve an extra mention, they are amazing.

• Ragged Glory (1990). The Godfather of Grunge goes full Garage. Raw and with the 80s production wiped away. Love and only Love (one of the standouts here) going straight into the RITFW-chorus was amazing when I last saw Neil in Berlin 2016.
    Ragged Glory a 3????????
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited December 2017
    my2hands said:
    Ragged Glory a 3????????
    I guess you're more thankful to your country home than I am. It's a very nice album, but think it lacks in one food group and one key nutrient to be a golden masterpiece. 

my2hands said:
    Ragged Glory a 3????????
    Stone cold classic for me!!!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    my2hands said:
    Ragged Glory a 3????????
    Me too. Let's burn this fucker at the stake!

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    my2hands said:
    Ragged Glory a 3????????
    Me too. Let's burn this fucker at the stake!

This became apparent when I saw NY and crazy horse a few years ago.  The ragged glory songs were tops.  And the funny part is, I had never really listened to the album at all.......
    edited December 2017
    Danny Clinch posted a cool photo of Old Black on Instagram earlier

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    Danny Clinch posted a cool photo of Old Black on Instagram earlier

One of the infinity stones of rock and rolls Avengers.