Should PJradio stay on SiriusXM

2»

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Seth Rogen Boycotts SiriusXM Over Steve Bannon Hire

“I was supposed to do a press tour on @SIRIUSXM on teusday [sic] but I’m no longer doing it because I can’t bring myself to appear on the same service that has decided to support Steve Bannon,” Rogen wrote on Twitter. “Apologies to the shows I had to cancel. And fuck Steve Bannon.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/seth-rogen-boycotts-siriusxm-over-steve-bannon-hire
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    I hope you're also boycotting all the other evils of the world as well. Do you drive a car? Buy plastic made products? Eat mass produced food powered by Monsanto? Where do the boycotts end? Sure, protest a company that is offering a wide variety of opinions and views with their content, but then also make sure you evaluate every other product or service you consume.

If Sirius strictly switched to one narrow form of entertainment or media and it was on the Bannon side, then yes, I'd also say see you, but until then, I'll keep my options open and choose which stations I want to support within their platform.

It seems the theme these days is to remain siloed. You don't have to agree with it, but you should be aware of what the opposing views are so you know what you're up against. Some of it is maddening, but that doesn't mean you can't use your voice to oppose it. 
    Why would other people need to manage their own choices based on your priorities? Why is boycotting one company laughable if you don't boycott all companies with aspects that you disagree with?

If someone really, really objects to the views or behaviours of one person, organization or company, I see no issue with them choosing to boycott that. That doesn't condemn them to taking action on every single other ill in the world. In fact, if we all believed what you wrote, no one would ever take action on anything, simply because it's impossible to act on everything. 
    Exactly. I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out why usually reasonable people are offended by how someone else chooses not to spend their money. It's not a free speech issue, Bannon can say whatever he wants and others can choose not to help pay for him to do that.
    I am not offended by how someone chooses to spend their money. That is speech as well and everybody is certainly entitled. What offends me would be the slippery slope that seeks to alter and/or force SiriusXM’s decision to change it’s model which for the most part is unencumbered speech. One of the big reason’s I subscribe is for Howard Stern. Anybody who knows his history knows what the FCC did to him over the years and for the most part that came from the right. I don’t want the right or the left to develop the ability to force things they don’t like off the air. What offends me is when people, especially on a forum of a band who has fought for speech, forget that we must even protect speech we do not like. That is the essence to all of our freedoms.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:
    I hope you're also boycotting all the other evils of the world as well. Do you drive a car? Buy plastic made products? Eat mass produced food powered by Monsanto? Where do the boycotts end? Sure, protest a company that is offering a wide variety of opinions and views with their content, but then also make sure you evaluate every other product or service you consume.

If Sirius strictly switched to one narrow form of entertainment or media and it was on the Bannon side, then yes, I'd also say see you, but until then, I'll keep my options open and choose which stations I want to support within their platform.

It seems the theme these days is to remain siloed. You don't have to agree with it, but you should be aware of what the opposing views are so you know what you're up against. Some of it is maddening, but that doesn't mean you can't use your voice to oppose it. 
    Why would other people need to manage their own choices based on your priorities? Why is boycotting one company laughable if you don't boycott all companies with aspects that you disagree with?

If someone really, really objects to the views or behaviours of one person, organization or company, I see no issue with them choosing to boycott that. That doesn't condemn them to taking action on every single other ill in the world. In fact, if we all believed what you wrote, no one would ever take action on anything, simply because it's impossible to act on everything. 
    Exactly. I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out why usually reasonable people are offended by how someone else chooses not to spend their money. It's not a free speech issue, Bannon can say whatever he wants and others can choose not to help pay for him to do that.
    I am not offended by how someone chooses to spend their money. That is speech as well and everybody is certainly entitled. What offends me would be the slippery slope that seeks to alter and/or force SiriusXM’s decision to change it’s model which for the most part is unencumbered speech. One of the big reason’s I subscribe is for Howard Stern. Anybody who knows his history knows what the FCC did to him over the years and for the most part that came from the right. I don’t want the right or the left to develop the ability to force things they don’t like off the air. What offends me is when people, especially on a forum of a band who has fought for speech, forget that we must even protect speech we do not like. That is the essence to all of our freedoms.
    This makes sense to me, BS, and I agree with what you're saying.  At the same time, if listeners are paying to support and they vote with their dollars by boycotting the station and the station loses enough listeners such that they reconsider taking on Bannon, then let the chips fall where they may.  I don't see boycotting so much as forcing Sirius to make changes as it is voicing an opinion on which they may want to base their decision as to whether or not changes should be made.  Boycotting is a peaceful, effective tool for voicing ones opinion.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    brianlux said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

This makes sense to me, BS, and I agree with what you're saying.  At the same time, if listeners are paying to support and they vote with their dollars by boycotting the station and the station loses enough listeners such that they reconsider taking on Bannon, then let the chips fall where they may.  I don't see boycotting so much as forcing Sirius to make changes as it is voicing an opinion on which they may want to base their decision as to whether or not changes should be made.  Boycotting is a peaceful, effective tool for voicing ones opinion.  
    umm they were already supporting fox news. and the patriot channel. and the various religious channels. and many other contradictory views available.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    BS44325 said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

umm they were already supporting fox news. and the patriot channel. and the various religious channels. and many other contradictory views available.
    I don't have Sirius but if I did and were paying for it, I would join the boycott. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

they were supporting stations that play CREED for fucks sake!!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    A band famous for "overwrought power-balladry and Christian-infused testosterone" ( https://www.mediaite.com/online/slates-contrarian-ways-mocked-on-twitter/ ) is just not my thing. :lol:

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    mickeyrat said:
    Hmmmm....I do hate Creed. You might actually change my mind with this point.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489

If Pearl Jam is okay with having a channel on Sirius radio, then it is okay by me.  

A boycott to me in this case is only suppressing ideas.  This time around it is speech you aren't in favor of, but next time around it might not be. 

Pearl Jam has a website on the internet.  Should we no longer discuss Pearl Jam or access their goods/music online since there is hate speech on other sites on the internet?  Who does PJ pay for their webhosting (I am not a tech guy)? Let's check them out and make sure we agree with all of the other sites they host.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    What some people don't seem to get is that people have a right to patronize businesses they like and not patronize businesses they don't. That is in no way suppressing ideas. No one here has said that Sirius doesn't have the right to have Bannon on if they chose; just that some people don't want to pay them for that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    edited December 2017
    What some people don't seem to get is that people have a right to patronize businesses they like and not patronize businesses they don't. That is in no way suppressing ideas. No one here has said that Sirius doesn't have the right to have Bannon on if they chose; just that some people don't want to pay them for that. 

They completely have the right to patronize businesses they do like and ones they do not.  For example, if a bakery will not provide services to a gay couple, then I can totally understand why someone who is pro-gay would not choose to patronize that bakery. 

Here, we have a company who is being inclusive in giving voices to conservatives and liberals, and people in this thread are choosing to punish them for it. 

So the next time Sirius wants to give a radio channel to a group that may not have the most popular ideas they may not be willing to do that because they fear their listeners will leave them.  Again, this time you don't like the ideas so it is fine, but next time you may like those ideas.  So, indirectly a boycott is suppressing ideas.  It may not seem like a big deal in the Western World since we have so much freedom and ways to get information, but in less progressive countries they get stuck with only the government's viewpoints.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Whether or not someone wants to pay SiriusXM with Bannon aboard is a different question than whether Pearl Jam should stay on SiriusXM with Bannon aboard. I'm not a subscriber but if I were I wouldn't be happy about my subscription dollars supporting a pulpit for Steve Bannon. But I don't expect PJ to give up their own revenue stream just because Steve Bannon is now down the dial. If they choose to, fine. That's their choice. They shouldn't have to just to appease anyone else's politics or anyone else's idea of what Pearl Jam's politics should be.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    only listen to one talk station anyeay. POTUS. so fuck bannon.

you guys do what you want. I'll keep getting exposed to some smokin live music like this from this morning.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EGQiWUQD3q0

only listen to one talk station anyway. POTUS. so fuck bannon.

you guys do what you want. I'll keep getting exposed to some smokin live music like this from this morning.....

https://youtu.be/EGQiWUQD3q0

edited January 2018
    Bamnon leaves Breitbart.... wonder if that also means Breitbart Radio on  SiriusXm.....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42628201?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

why, yes it does mean Bannon is out at SiriusXm too given they say their deal is with Breitbart not Bannon.....
    Post edited by mickeyrat on