Police abuse

Comments

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Justice!

Former cop found guilty of second-degree murder in shooting of unarmed black man

"A former South Carolina police officer was sentenced to 20 years in prison after a federal judge ruled that he committed second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man.

The judge ruled Thursday that Michael Slager, a former North Charleston officer, also obstructed justice with his statements to state police following the shooting, ABC News reported.

Slager, who is white, shot Walter Scott in April 2015 following a traffic stop."

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Great news.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    and it only took a clear video, and an unarmed victim running away from the cop

guess we gotta start somewhere

hope this isn't the standard they use for all other cases
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    CM189191 said:

I think this case is different for more than just the video.
    Physical and forensic evidence supported the cops' stories in many of the other high profile cases. Without a video in this case the evidence would still have shown he was shot in the back and from a distance. He tried to plant evidence, but I am willing to bet whatever story the cop had in mind would not have matched the evidence at the scene.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

Physical and forensic evidence supported the cops' stories in many of the other high profile cases. Without a video in this case the evidence would still have shown he was shot in the back and from a distance. He tried to plant evidence, but I am willing to bet whatever story the cop had in mind would not have matched the evidence at the scene.
    That is just untrue. A couple cases maybe...but not "many".
    edited December 2017
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

When I think of high profile cases I think of Ferguson, Baltimore, Eric Gardner (which even had a video), and a couple others that I can't remember the specifics, but where the guy was shot in the butt wrestling the cop.
    I don;t recall physical evidence in any of those cases that disputed what the cops said. They disputed is Gardner should have been placed in a headlock or not, and if the Baltimore cops intentionally gave a "rough ride," but the physical evidence didn;t dispute the cop's side of the story. Or is my memory wrong?
    There have been cases where the cops are flat out guilty. The problem is they are never high profile cases because there isn't a news story they can for for weeks about it. How much did we hear about the NC cop compared to Michael Brown? Almost nothing in comparison to the attention and media coverage they received. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

Your speculation is better than his?

I'll add that around here... even when the evidence does support police action... the 'yah buts' flood this thread. Cops cannot win no matter what- unless they're killed in the line of duty (there's been several cops killed performing police duties recently- the ratio is becoming more balanced for the police opponent/criminal proponent faction!).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

I'll add that around here... even when the evidence does support police action... the 'yah buts' flood this thread. Cops cannot win no matter what- unless they're killed in the line of duty (there's been several cops killed performing police duties recently- the ratio is becoming more balanced for the police opponent/criminal proponent faction!).
    I don't need to speculate. Go back through this thread, how many cops have been convicted or even tried in all these stories?

I'm not going to re-litigate any of them, because it's a lost cause and life is too short.
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:

I don't need to speculate. Go back through this thread, how many cops have been convicted or even tried in all these stories?

I'm not going to re-litigate any of them, because it's a lost cause and life is too short.
    Many of the cops that weren't convicted or tried were supported by the type of evidence that Mace referred to.

Not all, but definitely more than many here would care to admit.
    Graphic.

Not guilty.  The next person that tells me that police serve and protect might get puked on.

https://youtu.be/qYRRSdjdcbo
    I used to travel quite a bit for work. Which gave me a lot of time to get drinks in strange hotels. This is terrifying. Our police need to be reigned in. A lot. 

Too bad tRump put a stop to that as well.  Oh well, Hillary just wasn't trust worthy or inspiring enough to vote for....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

Not guilty.  The next person that tells me that police serve and protect might get puked on.

What's most interesting to me in this case is the information that was kept from the jury.
    The judge decided it was too prejudicial to admit the evidence that the officer's tactical rifle was embossed with the words "You're Fucked".

Interesting that the judge is worried more about the prejudice of the jury than the prejudice of the defendant.

"Please don't shoot me, I'm trying to do what you say"
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    edited December 2017
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

So just to be clear......you believe that ALL police are bad. Not some. Not a small percentage. ALL.

The video above  is clearly an abomination. The cop is clearly in the wrong.
    But in NO way does it prove that  ALL police are bad.
    Post edited by Bentleyspop on
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

So just to be clear......you believe that ALL police are bad. Not some. Not a small percentage. ALL.

The video above  is clearly an abomination. The cop is clearly in the wrong.
    But in NO way does it prove that  ALL police are bad.
    No, but it goes a long way to proving that police operate under a different set of laws. 
    edited December 2017
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

I don't think anyone will ever claim there are not bad cops out there, and cops who made bad decisions. What bothers me are the blanket statements that say police do not protect and serve.
    There are bad cops, and there are cops who just shouldn't be qualified to be a cop. Then there's the other 99% of cops.
    If you could find a couple hundred recent examples corrupt or murderous cops I might believe that number is higher. So far I've only seen a dozen or two examples out of 600,000 current police in this country.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • unsung said:
    Graphic.

Un-f**king believable.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

Un-f**king believable.
    said if in the same circumstances he wouldnt change a thing.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

Un-f**king believable.
    It seemed to me he was itching to pull that trigger. He's a piece of shit.
    This case perfectly illustrates one of the double standard in policing that bothers me.

There are two men in that hallway that fear for their lives.
    One is wearing body armour and has an assault rifle drawn with his finger at the trigger.  He has countless hours of training and experience in dealing with fear inducing situations in his chosen career and there is no immediate threat to his life, but there is a possible threat to be considered.
    The other is a half? drunk dude trying to comply with (ridiculously complicated and unnecessary) instructions while staring at a loaded rifle aimed at his head.  He has zero training and has never been in a situation like this before, he is literally being threatened verbally and physically with death.

The expectations placed on the two men respectively are entirely reversed to what logic would dictate.
    The one with training, experience, and appropriate tools is given wide latitude to respond to fear emotionally and irrationally, and the one who has no training, no experience, and no tools with which to cope is expected to respond to fear with perfect composure.
    edited December 2017
    mickeyrat said:
    unsung said:
    Graphic.

Un-f**king believable.
    It seemed to me he was itching to pull that trigger. He's a piece of shit.
    The inscription on the rifle and his demeanor definitely signals a person who shouldn't be in law enforcement.
    It reminds me of the swastika-tatted cops...what behaviours and signs should/can we designate as disqualifying for career of such gravity and consequence?

We need to double all our expectations on who should be an officer and how they should be trained and managed.  In order to jump start and sustain those expectations, we need to triple their salaries.
    It will never happen.
  • rgambs said:
    This case perfectly illustrates one of the double standard in policing that bothers me.

There are two men in that hallway that fear for their lives.
    One is wearing body armour and has an assault rifle drawn with his finger at the trigger.  He has countless hours of training and experience in dealing with fear inducing situations in his chosen career and there is no immediate threat to his life, but there is a possible threat to be considered.
    The other is a half? drunk dude trying to comply with (ridiculously complicated and unnecessary) instructions while staring at a loaded rifle aimed at his head.  He has zero training and has never been in a situation like this before, he is literally being threatened verbally and physically with death.

The expectations placed on the two men respectively are entirely reversed to what logic would dictate.
    The one with training, experience, and appropriate tools is given wide latitude to respond to fear emotionally and irrationally, and the one who has no training, no experience, and no tools with which to cope is expected to respond to fear with perfect composure.
    They were intertwined with numerous threats that in my mind... really tipped off this cop's mentality. I mean, clearly the guy was shitting his pants and was taking the officer very seriously (I've never seen straighter arms when he held them over his head), but the more he eagerly tried to comply... the more complicated instructions were given- each with a warning that was hard to ignore.

It was truly as if this cop had no interest in walking out of the hotel without shooting someone.
    CM189191 said:
    7I used to travel quite a bit for work. Which gave me a lot of time to get drinks in strange hotels. This is terrifying. Our police need to be reigned in. A lot. 

Too bad tRump put a stop to that as well.  Oh well, Hillary just wasn't trust worthy or inspiring enough to vote for....
    Just can't pass up an opportunity for a cheap shot...

This happened in Jan 2016 btw.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited December 2017
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:
    7I used to travel quite a bit for work. Which gave me a lot of time to get drinks in strange hotels. This is terrifying. Our police need to be reigned in. A lot. 

I don’t remember you complaining too loudly when Trump told the gathering of NYPD that it was okay if they roughed people up because they probably deserved it. Yup, it’s still snowing out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/29/nyregion/trump-police-too-nice.html
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I can't take the time to comment on everything that he says but my posts here on this issue should illustrate quite clearly on what my stance is.
    unsung said:
    CM189191 said:

Elections have consequences
    So does a radical leftist agenda.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    So does unprotected sex, but I'm not sure that's relevant here either. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • And temperatures above 32 degrees.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©