Should PJradio stay on SiriusXM

Not Ok that Bannon has been given a voice on SiriusXM. ✔Subscriptiin cancelled.  Reminding anyone who cares that:  ✔

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    he was on before.

so shut off terrestrial radio too. rush, glenn. better cut off your internet too, alex lives there.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Everything should be removed from SiriusXM because the sound quality sucks and they are a total pain in the ass to deal with. 

My 2 cents....
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:
    he was on before.

so shut off terrestrial radio too. rush, glenn. better cut off your internet too, alex lives there.
    Those examples don't really ad up. Radio and the internet are not a company.
  • Well, if we did all of that, certain posters wouldn't have access to information and that would make it harder for them to understand the complexities of the truth. Seeing how they might not be able to read, and drive. Or use a card catalog. So, let them believe there's Comet Pizza on Mars.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    he was on before.

Still fail to see how it is now so suddenly different from before he became involved with trump.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    he was on before.

Still fail to see how it is now so suddenly different from before he became involved with trump.
    Did you know his name before Trump? Maybe you did, but not many did. And a whole lot has changed with him and Breitbart since before the election (deep ties to the alt right aka white supremacists). Also his recent full fledged support of that alleged child molester from Alabama. I don't know why any legitimate company would want their brand associated with that. The man doesn't need another platform, let him stick to internet "news" like Breitbart.
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dignin said:
    mickeyrat said:
    he was on before.

Did you know his name before Trump? Maybe you did, but not many did. And a whole lot has changed with him and Breitbart since before the election (deep ties to the alt right aka white supremacists). Also his recent full fledged support of that alleged child molester from Alabama. I don't know why any legitimate company would want their brand associated with that. The man doesn't need another platform, let him stick to internet "news" like Breitbart.
    for me its the hard part of our experiment. gotta take the bad to also have the good.

as a platform , siriusxm is the best example of the first amendment I can think of. little something for just about everybody.

frankly I am more concerned with his ends and less so with his means.

but I never stopped on that channel to begin with. so it doesnt concern me.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I would say, in general boycotting is a good effective way to protest,  but I think it also might be useful of some people  keep their subscriptions in order to hear what the man says, to determine where he's coming from and what he's up to  (think Book of Five Rings or Art of War).  Even if you don't like where he's at.  Especially if you don't like where he's at. 

I don't have Sirius but like any media outlet, if I had Sirius, I'd look at their motives before dumping them and then decide for myself. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Is there not an opposite of Bannon out there to oppose his message on the airwaves that’s what I’d like to hear , I don’t subscribe only listen to independent radio ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • I'm going to cancel too.  A small gesture for sure but it's a start.  It's sad that this is where we are but seeing Bannon's comments at the Roy Moore rally the other day put me over the edge.  I just can't financially support a company that is putting that dbag on a station called the "patriot".  Can't wait to see the reaction the first time PJ and Bannon are in a SiriusXM ad together.  
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    SiriusXM is in the business of providing a wide variety of content to a wide variety of audiences. They are not Fox News who is in the business of providing a specific type of content to a specific audience. Bannon is scum but his hate rambling down the dial doesn't have all that much to do with Pearl Jam's music up the dial. Some, because the service is sold as a package, but not that much. IMO

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I'm going to cancel too.  A small gesture for sure but it's a start.  It's sad that this is where we are but seeing Bannon's comments at the Roy Moore rally the other day put me over the edge.  I just can't financially support a company that is putting that dbag on a station called the "patriot".  Can't wait to see the reaction the first time PJ and Bannon are in a SiriusXM ad together.  
    If they end up in ads with Bannon that will be a different story. Plenty of businesses have pulled their ads from Breitbart. I would expect Pearl Jam to do the same here.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    I will never understand why so many on an artist’s message board fear speech.
    JimmyV said:
    I'm going to cancel too.  A small gesture for sure but it's a start.  It's sad that this is where we are but seeing Bannon's comments at the Roy Moore rally the other day put me over the edge.  I just can't financially support a company that is putting that dbag on a station called the "patriot".  Can't wait to see the reaction the first time PJ and Bannon are in a SiriusXM ad together.  
    If they end up in ads with Bannon that will be a different story. Plenty of businesses have pulled their ads from Breitbart. I would expect Pearl Jam to do the same here.
    yeah, I dont recall hearing music station ads on the talk side and vice versa.

• It's not free speech.  SiriusXm charges for their service.  Some small fraction of a cent from my pocket ends up in Bannon's hand.  Just can't do it anymore after the Roy Moore rally this week.  It's not just political differences - it's supporting a credibly accused pedophile for the US Senate (in addition to being anti-gay, anti-muslim, anti-choice, and taking hundreds of thousands of $ from a charity).  The ads come in the mailings with the bill and station listings - pictures of artists and talking heads get co-mingled all the time.  Usually it's new comers to Sirius so not likely but possible.  
    Keepin' it on this side of the dial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGS8on6Cxw

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    It's not free speech.  SiriusXm charges for their service.  Some small fraction of a cent from my pocket ends up in Bannon's hand.  Just can't do it anymore after the Roy Moore rally this week.  It's not just political differences - it's supporting a credibly accused pedophile for the US Senate (in addition to being anti-gay, anti-muslim, anti-choice, and taking hundreds of thousands of $ from a charity).  The ads come in the mailings with the bill and station listings - pictures of artists and talking heads get co-mingled all the time.  Usually it's new comers to Sirius so not likely but possible.  
    SiriusXM is a premium service that allows for free speech which is unrestricted by government. Be it Howard Stern, Progressive Talk, Conservative Talk, Religious talk etc. I pay specifically for that and the last thing I want is a puritan such as yourself deciding what speech is good and what is bad. I want the platform free and will choose which stations I want to listen too. My precious psyche will be able to survive amongst alternative view points.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    BS44325 said:
    It's not free speech.  SiriusXm charges for their service.  Some small fraction of a cent from my pocket ends up in Bannon's hand.  Just can't do it anymore after the Roy Moore rally this week.  It's not just political differences - it's supporting a credibly accused pedophile for the US Senate (in addition to being anti-gay, anti-muslim, anti-choice, and taking hundreds of thousands of $ from a charity).  The ads come in the mailings with the bill and station listings - pictures of artists and talking heads get co-mingled all the time.  Usually it's new comers to Sirius so not likely but possible.  
    SiriusXM is a premium service that allows for free speech which is unrestricted by government. Be it Howard Stern, Progressive Talk, Conservative Talk, Religious talk etc. I pay specifically for that and the last thing I want is a puritan such as yourself deciding what speech is good and what is bad. I want the platform free and will choose which stations I want to listen too. My precious psyche will be able to survive amongst alternative view points.
    You're free to make that choice if you wish. Bb4 and others are free to make a different choice, and if they do, just how exactly does that negatively impact your rights? Your choice has more value, does it?

Sirius is a business, make no mistake. They aren't champions of free speech. Everyone is free to spend their money on that service, or not. If Sirius determined that a boycott impacts their bottom line they would terminate that program. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • I decided I'm not putting any more money in Steve Bannon's pocket because he is openly campaigning for a guy who stalked 14-17 year old girls while in his 30's.  Unfortunately for me that means canceling SiriusXM which I have had for at least 10 years now.  If you want to make a different choice knock yourself out.  I disagree with Steve Bannon on almost everything but for me Pedophilia was the last straw I guess.  If that makes me a puritan then so be it.  I'm not knowingly giving my $ to a company that pays a guy that campaigns for a credibly accused pedophile. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I hope you're also boycotting all the other evils of the world as well. Do you drive a car? Buy plastic made products? Eat mass produced food powered by Monsanto? Where do the boycotts end? Sure, protest a company that is offering a wide variety of opinions and views with their content, but then also make sure you evaluate every other product or service you consume.

If Sirius strictly switched to one narrow form of entertainment or media and it was on the Bannon side, then yes, I'd also say see you, but until then, I'll keep my options open and choose which stations I want to support within their platform.

It seems the theme these days is to remain siloed. You don't have to agree with it, but you should be aware of what the opposing views are so you know what you're up against. Some of it is maddening, but that doesn't mean you can't use your voice to oppose it. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i'm canceling my 2 radio subscription. the app sucks. they keep fucking with channel lineup and removing channels. only reason i had it was for faction 41, which they got rid of, and then brought back to a channel my car radios can't access. the bannon thing is the last straw. i have a thousand cds i could listen to and not give money to a service that provides bannon a platform.

by the way, i don't even listen to pj radio. sad, isn't it?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    tbergs said:
    I hope you're also boycotting all the other evils of the world as well. Do you drive a car? Buy plastic made products? Eat mass produced food powered by Monsanto? Where do the boycotts end? Sure, protest a company that is offering a wide variety of opinions and views with their content, but then also make sure you evaluate every other product or service you consume.

If Sirius strictly switched to one narrow form of entertainment or media and it was on the Bannon side, then yes, I'd also say see you, but until then, I'll keep my options open and choose which stations I want to support within their platform.

It seems the theme these days is to remain siloed. You don't have to agree with it, but you should be aware of what the opposing views are so you know what you're up against. Some of it is maddening, but that doesn't mean you can't use your voice to oppose it. 
    Why would other people need to manage their own choices based on your priorities? Why is boycotting one company laughable if you don't boycott all companies with aspects that you disagree with?

If someone really, really objects to the views or behaviours of one person, organization or company, I see no issue with them choosing to boycott that. That doesn't condemn them to taking action on every single other ill in the world. In fact, if we all believed what you wrote, no one would ever take action on anything, simply because it's impossible to act on everything. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I don’t subscribe but I can understand the stance to cancel , i would not want a single penny of my $ going to perhaps one of thee most vile humans in Bannon ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    tbergs said:

You know that's a cheap argument. I shouldn't have to explain why.
    tbergs said:

Why would other people need to manage their own choices based on your priorities? Why is boycotting one company laughable if you don't boycott all companies with aspects that you disagree with?

If someone really, really objects to the views or behaviours of one person, organization or company, I see no issue with them choosing to boycott that. That doesn't condemn them to taking action on every single other ill in the world. In fact, if we all believed what you wrote, no one would ever take action on anything, simply because it's impossible to act on everything. 
    Exactly. I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out why usually reasonable people are offended by how someone else chooses not to spend their money. It's not a free speech issue, Bannon can say whatever he wants and others can choose not to help pay for him to do that.
    When I lived in the Bay Area I listened to KPFA Berkeley for current event related stories and their blues and eclectic music shows and college stations like KFJC that played all the cool stuff like The Replacements, early R.E.M., Pavement etc.

Those days are gone, analogue radio is gone and so my radio listening days are over.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    When I lived in the Bay Area I listened to KPFA Berkeley for current event related stories and their blues and eclectic music shows and college stations like KFJC that played all the cool stuff like The Replacements, early R.E.M., Pavement etc.

Those days are gone, analogue radio is gone and so my radio listening days are over.
    Which a.m. station did you first hear Rock Around the Clock? :smiley:
    brianlux said:

Which a.m. station did you first hear Rock Around the Clock? :smiley:
    Haha!  Very likely KYA or KFRC, San Francisco. 

One of those stations (probably KYA) was also the place where, for the first time, I heard "Like a Rolling Stone" when it came out.  It was at night so they played the whole song and it was like having an egg shell break open and let in a whole new world of sound.  That blew me away!

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

Exactly. I'm scratching my head here trying to figure out why usually reasonable people are offended by how someone else chooses not to spend their money. It's not a free speech issue, Bannon can say whatever he wants and others can choose not to help pay for him to do that.
    That's what happens when you respond while waiting in line to see Santa with your kids I guess. Lol. I wasn't very clear.

I despise Fox News and the type of content and agenda they push, so does that mean in order to make my point I need to completely quit watching any Fox produced content or just not watch Fox News? Where does it end and how do you justify it for one company? It's great in theory, but for every person that drops, some other far right extremist will add for the exact opposite reason. It seems there are a lot more of that mindset then previously thought.

I hope none of you like Seinfeld either because Bannon makes money on that too.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:
    tbergs said:

That's what happens when you respond while waiting in line to see Santa with your kids I guess. Lol. I wasn't very clear.

I despise Fox News and the type of content and agenda they push, so does that mean in order to make my point I need to completely quit watching any Fox produced content or just not watch Fox News? Where does it end and how do you justify it for one company? It's great in theory, but for every person that drops, some other far right extremist will add for the exact opposite reason. It seems there are a lot more of that mindset then previously thought.

I hope none of you like Seinfeld either because Bannon makes money on that too.
    Ugh, my kids are 3 and a few months old.....I haven't had to do the Santa thing yet, nor do I want to. I do not envy you.