The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Whichever team overpays for GS should anticipate a lot of DNPs due to injuries.
    At the same time, if you are looking for an impact MVP caliber bat is a $300 million Stanton or a $500 million Harper a better move?  Both get hurt.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Tough questions
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    For sure.  Add that to the fact you'll have to give up something for Stanton, though likely not much if you take the money on.
  • Whichever team overpays for GS should anticipate a lot of DNPs due to injuries.
    At the same time, if you are looking for an impact MVP caliber bat is a $300 million Stanton or a $500 million Harper a better move?  Both get hurt.
    I don't see them spending the money considering what they will be paying the baby bombers in a few years.

Who's the Yankee captain now?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    They can trade Ellsbury and Headley for Stanton. I think both make $17m and $12m respectively. So that's pretty much even. Also I know the Yankees are going to move Castro for when that minor leaguer who got injured this year who's name escapes me comes up.
    I miss igotid88
    I don't see them spending the money considering what they will be paying the baby bombers in a few years.

It's too early to name a captain. 
    I miss igotid88

The thing is, they are going to be spending on a big time free agent over the next year or so.  I don't see any way around it.  Here are the obvious options.  

Stanton: Starting at age 28 year old season owed $295 million with an opt out after 2020. Would also cost some sort of prospects though not the main guys
    Harper: Free agent going into age 26 year old season.  Probably going to get $400 mil plus
    Machado: Free agent for 26-27 year old season.  Definitely looking at over $250 million
    Kershaw: Will be 31 and probably gonna be a bad deal for whoever signs him, assume the Dodgers may pop another year or two on, 

None of the kids are due big contracts in another 5 years.  They'll get big raises via arbitration eventually, but the team has them by the balls.  Free production for another 5 years.  Who knows what happens with any of them, but even if Judge is good, he is pretty old and I can easily see them letting him walk in 5 years.

Strong case to be made that Stanton is the best value of the bunch.  Also, if they can get Stanton and get under the luxury tax, that's not to say Machado isn't a possibility still.

I really really don't see it happening, especially give the luxury tax and Ellsbury situation, but it could be smart.

No captain. It will be a long time before there is another

although Judge and Stanton back to back. You'll get 90hr and 400ks
    I miss igotid88
    Strictly skill wise, Harper is clearly the best of the bunch too.
  • Strictly skill wise, Harper is clearly the best of the bunch too.
    I'd rather Harper than Stanton.

As good as Machado is I think he has a little too much "asshole" in him.

Would you rather Harper at $400+ mil over Stanton at $295 mil?  Definitely a strong case for it.

Machado is a huge asshole but he also fits a position this team will probably need.

We shall see. Fun times.
  • Strictly skill wise, Harper is clearly the best of the bunch too.

Would you rather Harper at $400+ mil over Stanton at $295 mil?  Definitely a strong case for it.

Machado is a huge asshole but he also fits a position this team will probably need.

We shall see. Fun times.
    Yes on Harper because the dude trains hard and plays hard.  I like his style.

Not taking ANYTHING away from Stanton as I would love to see him too.

You think Machados play is >than him being an asshole?  He's another player I'd love to see in a big market.

We shall see. Fun times.
    Yes on Harper because the dude trains hard and plays hard.  I like his style.

Not taking ANYTHING away from Stanton as I would love to see him too.

You think Machados play is >than him being an asshole?  He's another player I'd love to see in a big market.
    I hear you.  I like Harper too.  Kid gets hurt a lot too though.  Would love a real good average and power hitter on this team though.

ha, I can't stand Machado.  One of those players I hate on other teams but would be cool with if he's on yours.  Could fit a need though a rough year last year.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    So let's just start out by saying this isn't going to happen, buuuuuut, we can dream right?  Would this be the top of the lineup?

Didi
    Bird
    Sanchez
    Judge
    Stanton

I'd put Judge in clean up to get him more pitches to hit in front of Stanton.
    Do you think the Marlins would ask for player/s on your list? Maybe they ask for Judge and, or, Sanchez?

Would Severino be in any deal? (I wouldn't trade him, though, but you'd have to think the Marlins would at least ask?)
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400

We shall see. Fun times.
    That's a good question concerning Harper & Stanton. If i had to choose i would choose Harprer, especially in Yankee Stadium.

I see i'm not the only one who thinks Machado is a asshole. But, i'd take him on my team. NYY can use a 3rd baseman so i can see them going after him. Even before Harper.

Is Kershaw a FA next year or does he have a opt-out?(thought i heard opt-out) And, if he does opt-in whats his contract in years/$$$?
    cutz said:
    So let's just start out by saying this isn't going to happen, buuuuuut, we can dream right?  Would this be the top of the lineup?

Didi
    Bird
    Sanchez
    Judge
    Stanton

I'd put Judge in clean up to get him more pitches to hit in front of Stanton.
    Do you think the Marlins would ask for player/s on your list? Maybe they ask for Judge and, or, Sanchez?

Would Severino be in any deal? (I wouldn't trade him, though, but you'd have to think the Marlins would at least ask?)
    If the package that is rumored from the Giants is true, they're not getting crap.  It's a straight salary dump.  Yanks would never in a million years get rid of any of those guys and take on that salary.

Yanks would never do a deal with a single player mentioned above.  They just sign Harper in that case.
    cutz said:

We shall see. Fun times.
    That's a good question concerning Harper & Stanton. If i had to choose i would choose Harprer, especially in Yankee Stadium.

I see i'm not the only one who thinks Machado is a asshole. But, i'd take him on my team. NYY can use a 3rd baseman so i can see them going after him. Even before Harper.

Is Kershaw a FA next year or does he have a opt-out?(thought i heard opt-out) And, if he does opt-in whats his contract in years/$$$?
    I do think there is a decent chance they go after Machado over Harper, but we'll see how he plays this year.

Kershaw has an opt out after next season.  I don't remember what he has, but assume he can get more.
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Stanton turned down SF and STL. He's got Miami by the balls and so does any team that wants to trade for him.  
  • Stanton turned down SF and STL. He's got Miami by the balls and so does any team that wants to trade for him.  
    If he can't get a tan then he isn't going...  At least that'd be my position if I were him.
    edited December 2017
    Holy fuck. It's happening.  Maybe
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Feel like this may be the Marlins trying to get the dodgers to bite. Yanks don't leak like this 
    Feel like this may be the Marlins trying to get the dodgers to bite. Yanks don't leak like this 
    Just hope not to the Dodgers. 
    I miss igotid88
    Now that I am all in on this refreshing twitter, this better not turn into Cliff Lee part 2
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Corey Lidle
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Fuckin a. Gonna be quite the season

Corey Lidle
    Yikes. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383

trust him. he’s a SF guy.

damn, bronx bombers indeed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06