How often do you change guitar strings?

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    I've only used Sperzel locking tuners on my Strat and I recommend them highly. String changes are pretty quick and they seem to stay put once the strings are stretched and settled. 

I imagine that just about any manufacturer of tuners makes a locking variety. 

Also, congrats on the bloodless string change! 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:
    I've only used Sperzel locking tuners on my Strat and I recommend them highly. String changes are pretty quick and they seem to stay put once the strings are stretched and settled. 

I imagine that just about any manufacturer of tuners makes a locking variety. 

Also, congrats on the bloodless string change! 
    Thank you!  I'm still a bit amazed  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I changed the strings on my Strat yesterday. It took about 7 minutes. No blood, no swearing. 

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    dudeman said:
    I changed the strings on my Strat yesterday. It took about 7 minutes. No blood, no swearing. 

Then you aren't doing it right.
    How about this: I harpooned an eyeball with the high E but it didn't bleed and I just screamed, but didn't swear.

Better?
    dudeman said:

:bow:  I've definitely got to look into those locking tuners!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

dudeman said:
    How about this: I harpooned an eyeball with the high E but it didn't bleed and I just screamed, but didn't swear.

Better?
    :rofl:

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    dudeman said:
    Does anyone use a strobe tuner? I bought a couple pedal tuners from Sonic Research a number of years ago. They are extremely accurate and built solid with a small footprint. 

At the time, they cost about  $120.00. 

Thats what I use too, the stompbox version. Love it. Always used to use a separate, more accurate tuner for setups, but TurboTuner is plenty accurate.
    DR Strings man. I just can't say enough good things about them. 
    DewieCox said:
     I9dudeman said:
    Does anyone use a strobe tuner? I bought a couple pedal tuners from Sonic Research a number of years ago. They are extremely accurate and built solid with a small footprint. 

At the time, they cost about  $120.00. 

Thats what I use too, the stompbox version. Love it. Always used to use a separate, more accurate tuner for setups, but TurboTuner is plenty accurate.
    That's what I found too. I set intonation on my guitars with the Sonic Research. Perfect every time. 
    These are my latest go-to strings.  As my hands age, playing is more difficult.  These strings are easier on the hands and I love the tones they produce with my Martin LX1 "Little Martin".  I feel like I've been given some added life to playing!

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I can't get into the coated strings. I tried them once, and I didn't even give them enough time to break in. They just don't feel right on my acoustics. I'd rather just change strings more frequently, I guess. And by that, I mean maybe once a year. 

Martin 80/20s or SPs (light) and D'Addario EJ16s are usually what I wind up with. Whatever I fetch out of the case. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I'm going to change strings tonight.  Using coated  strings on my Martin for the first time.  Will see how it goes.  I can't wait.  After about an 8 month break from the acoustics I've been really excited about playing again.  It took a few weeks to get the finger picking speed back up.
    I'm not sure I've ever used coated strings.  The silk and steel D'addarios I've been using I believe are uncoated round wound silver plated copper with a silk and steel core.  What is the advantage of coated strings?

edited November 2017
    I started using coated strings in Florida. The high humidity really took a toll on my guitars and basses since I was playing a lot of outdoor venues. 

Bass strings were the worst. I would spend between $20 and $40 for a set of strings and they would only last a couple weeks. Since I switched to Elixirs, I haven't had to change the strings on any of my four basses in over a year.

I got used to the feel pretty easily but they felt a little strange at first. Now, they just feel like normal strings to me.
    Post edited by dudeman on
    I'm going to change strings tonight.  Using coated  strings on my Martin for the first time.  Will see how it goes.  I can't wait.  After about an 8 month break from the acoustics I've been really excited about playing again.  It took a few weeks to get the finger picking speed back up.
    Well I have fallen in love with my Martin guitar after the string change.  It has never sounded better.   
    Which strings did you choose?
    dudeman said:
    Which strings did you choose?

Nice. 
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187

I've used Elixir's on my acoustics for years but have never tried the electric strings. Always used Ernie Ball super slinky and regular slinky but thinking of trying elixirs on at least one of the electrics. What do you guys think of them?

2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
    I have them on my Strat and I love them. Can't beat the feel, tuning stability and longevity.

Highly recommend. 
    dpduke69 said:

I've used Elixir's on my acoustics for years but have never tried the electric strings. Always used Ernie Ball super slinky and regular slinky but thinking of trying elixirs on at least one of the electrics. What do you guys think of them?

dudeman said:
    I have them on my Strat and I love them. Can't beat the feel, tuning stability and longevity.

Highly recommend. 
    I've never tired them so it sounds like it's time to give them a go on one of my acoustics.  I read that they come coated and uncoated.  Which do you guys prefer?

I would use Martin phosphor bronze strings on my Martin and it would just sound dead after a week or so.  These Elixirs after several weeks still sound great and probably will for quite a while.  Now, I'm sure it comes down to personal preference and the Elixirs could sound much too bright for someone else. 

I'm just glad the impulse buy Custom Martin doesn't feel like a dud anymore.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Question: is it actually bad for a guitar to not have all the strings on it at all for a long period of time, or is that just bullshit?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Question: is it actually bad for a guitar to not have all the strings on it at all for a long period of time, or is that just bullshit?
    It don't believe it is bad for the guitar to leave the strings on for a long time.  I can't imagine how that would harm the instrument.

As far as how often one should change strings- you'll get a lot of different answers to this question.  It depends on how much time a player puts in each day and what type of strings are used.  Some lose tone more quickly than others.  I've had people tell me I should change strings every week.  Maybe if I played 8 hours a day, but even then, I wouldn't change them that often.      My own general rule of thumb is to change them when they become difficult to tune.  I actually like the warmer tone of aged strings better than the bright sound of new strings, but others love that bright sound.

I can't find the quote now but it seems to me I once read that Brian Eno used to leave the same string on his guitar for years.  Not sure about that. 

edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    It really depends. Most guitars have a rod in the neck that counteracts the tension caused by the strings. It's called a truss rod. It bows the neck backward while string tension bows the neck forward. Creating a balance is the key.

If the truss rod was loosened when the strings were removed, I would be less concerned. If you're talking about only some strings being removed, I would be worried about the neck twisting. 

That said, I imagine that some people have removed some or all of the strings without adjusting the truss rod accordingly and found their guitar no worse for the wear. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJ_Soul said:

My wife has a guitar that was built for her by an amateur luthier.  It sat in the case for at least a decade without strings.  She was really afraid the neck would have settled, warped, etc.  Last week she brought it into our local guitar shop to have them set it up, expecting the worst.  $30 and a new set of strings, plays great.  
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    CM189191 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

My wife has a guitar that was built for her by an amateur luthier.  It sat in the case for at least a decade without strings.  She was really afraid the neck would have settled, warped, etc.  Last week she brought it into our local guitar shop to have them set it up, expecting the worst.  $30 and a new set of strings, plays great.  
    Good to know, although I'm more worried about just some strings being on there (like if one or two broke). I've got a guitar that's been sitting there for a few years with 2 broken strings (I don't know how to play, but keep intending to learn how... and then I procrastinate, and it just keeps sitting there). As dudeman said, it suddenly occurred to me that this might twist the neck or something. I guess I should either take all the strings off or get the thing restrung asap.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I just went through a couple guitars for a friend. One is an older Washburn acoustic that has been in the case for years with all of the strings on and tuned to pitch. The top is bellied up so badly it has separated from the bracing at the lower bout. The neck has a pretty decent twist too. Repairs will cost more than the guitar is worth.

The other one is an Allen acoustic that was stored the same way as the Washburn. That one is fine. I was able to adjust the truss rod for proper neck relief, clean and restring and oil the bridge and fretboard. Plays and sounds great.

It's kind of a crapshoot whether storing guitars with or without strings will cause problems.

For my own guitars, if I know I won't be playing one for a long time, I tune it a step down and either stick a humidifier or dessicant pack in the case, depending on the season. 

I finally changed the strings on my Martin LX1 "Little Martin".  I hadn't changed them in over two years.  There was actually some corrosion on the strings between the nut and the tuning machines.  Talk about vintage!  I thought they still sounded great though, but since I'm playing that guitar at my father's memorial this Sunday, I thought it might be time to change them. I replaced them with the same kind that had been on the guitar, D'Addario Silk & Steel EJ40 light gauge. 

I'll be glad when these get more break in time.  I actually like the way the old worn out ones sounded.  I guess at this point in life I'm liking old and worn out things, haha!