"The mind's eye"/Mental Visualization - Do you have Aphantasia??

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    chadwick said:
    never heard of this. i'm having a difficult time grasping this condition. for me, i'm bombarded, i've nonstop movies goin on.       
    Me too!  Perfect way to describe it...like nonstop movies.  I'm sure you've read about some of them.  Imagine what you'd all think if I shared all the visions in my mind.  :lol:

I never knew this existed, so its interesting to know how people "see" (or don't see) things.  I've come to rely so much on what I see in my mind...can't imagine life without it.  But it has major drawbacks.  Like when I'm reading a news story and I can "see" the accident, the abuse, whatever it may be. That part is awful.  And very invasive. 
    maybe this is why I have so much trouble. when I read something, I am literally IN the situation. When the Greyhound bus decapitation happened, I couldn't stop imagining every single gory detail about it. It literally put me in an emotional tailspin. I couldn't get it out of my mind for months. It was the straw of my emotional breakdown back then. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

Wow. had some time to think about this and I would def say that I suffer from this disorder.

Pretty amazing when I have conversations with other people. they can't believe that I can't "see" images in my mind.

I had no idea that people had that ability. so weird. so weird.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    lolobugg said:

Wow. had some time to think about this and I would def say that I suffer from this disorder.

Pretty amazing when I have conversations with other people. they can't believe that I can't "see" images in my mind.

I had no idea that people had that ability. so weird. so weird.

Interesting choice of words. That is about how I thought about it when I first made this discovery as well.... Now my thoughts on that have changed somewhat, but I am still very much processing it all (clearly I'm obsessing about it ... which is just fine with me. It's the most intriguing thing I've been confronted with in a long time... probably ever).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Ok, I don't want to freak you out, but I'm gonna lol

You realize now that the phrase "picture you naked" is literal?

:lol:
    :rofl:

oh, is it ever!
    Oh my god, I hadn't even thought of that!!! :lol: ... Holy shit.... That is actually a little unsettling, lol.  
    I've definitely pictured you naked. ;) WOW!
    :lol: So I mentioned this to a gay co-worker - told him someone online informed me that he and pretty much everyone else can visualize me naked any time he wants, and isn't that funny? - and my co-worker took that way more dramatically than I expected. He was like, "Oh my god! Don't say that! I'm leaving, lol! Just stop!" So I was all, "wtf?? Why are you running away?? What's wrong with what I said?!" And he said, "Duh, because I can visualize Alli! This is not appropriate!!" :lol: Wow!! I sincerely hadn't considered that part of it, lol!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    Oh my god, I hadn't even thought of that!!! :lol: ... Holy shit.... That is actually a little unsettling, lol.  
    :lol: So I mentioned this to a gay co-worker - told him someone online informed me that he and pretty much everyone else can visualize me naked any time he wants, and isn't that funny? - and my co-worker took that way more dramatically than I expected. He was like, "Oh my god! Don't say that! I'm leaving, lol! Just stop!" So I was all, "wtf?? Why are you running away?? What's wrong with what I said?!" And he said, "Duh, because I can visualize Alli! This is not appropriate!!" :lol: Wow!! I sincerely hadn't considered that part of it, lol!
    that was a bit dramatic. I would have just stood there looking at you blankly and drooled. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    that was a bit dramatic. I would have just stood there looking at you blankly and drooled. 
    Yeah, but he's gay, and is actually newly out of the closet because he's from an extremely traditional, religious, Eastern European family. So I think female sexuality is a dark mystery to him anyhow, and an uncomfortable topic.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    Yeah, but he's gay, and is actually newly out of the closet because he's from an extremely traditional, religious, Eastern European family. So I think female sexuality is a dark mystery to him anyhow, and an uncomfortable topic.
    It just drew a picture of an extremely stereotypical "gay guy" response, that's all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    It just drew a picture of an extremely stereotypical "gay guy" response, that's all. 
    Well it was an accurate picture, so I guess he's a stereotypical gay guy? .... I mean, he used to be a male cheerleader, and is now a girl's cheerleading coach in his free time, he says "oh snap!" on occasion, he loves to shop, he talks about skin and hair products, he complains about being too fat even though he looks like a 6'2" Greek God, lol, he wears clicky men's dress shoes, and he gets really excited about Christmas decorations and shopping for throw pillows online, lol. Is that stereotypically gay? Yes, nobody could say it's not. Stereotypes exist for a reason, haha. And that works for me. This guy is my favorite person in the whole office by a long shot.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    Well it was an accurate picture, so I guess he's a stereotypical gay guy? .... I mean, he used to be a male cheerleader, and is now a girl's cheerleading coach in his free time, he says "oh snap!" on occasion, he loves to shop, he talks about skin and hair products, he complains about being too fat even though he looks like a 6'2" Greek God, lol, he wears clicky men's dress shoes, and he gets really excited about Christmas decorations and shopping for throw pillows online, lol. Is that stereotypically gay? Yes, nobody could say it's not. Stereotypes exist for a reason, haha. And that works for me. This guy is my favorite person in the whole office by a long shot.
    sounds like Will and Grace. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    sounds like Will and Grace. LOL
    :lol: I never even thought of that, lol.
    edited December 2017
    The really crazy part is that he hasn't come out to his parents yet. He's scared to. I asked him, "don't you think they already know??" And he said maybe, but he's still scared ... Either they don't care as much as he fears, or they are in some SERIOUS denial.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The really crazy part is that he hasn't come out to his parents yet. He's scared to. I asked him, "don't you think they already know??" And he said maybe, but he's still scared ... Either they don't care as much as he fears, or they are in some SERIOUS denial.
    maybe he makes a conscious effort to act differently around them? or maybe he doesn't see them much? although, I gather this happens a lot, where they come out, and the parents say "tell me something I don't know". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    maybe he makes a conscious effort to act differently around them? or maybe he doesn't see them much? although, I gather this happens a lot, where they come out, and the parents say "tell me something I don't know". 
    Lol. Like this:

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    ^^^ :rofl:

That's how my 6 y.o. poses! He'll either be gay or a performer. Either way, he'll always be my sweet baby boy. In the meantime, I have a kick-ass shopping buddy (yes, he helps pick out my clothes). 
    edited December 2017

That's how my 6 y.o. poses! He'll either be gay or a performer. Either way, he'll always be my sweet baby boy. In the meantime, I have a kick-ass shopping buddy (yes, he helps pick out my clothes). 
    Or both!! :);)
    Yeah, my gay office friend helped me pick out my new eye glasses. A couple of the ladies were giving me advice, and I was actually starting to take it, and he came over and whispered to me, "what the fuck are you doing?? Don't pick those - they're so dorky - you'll look like a virgin librarian. Pick these ones. Who are going to listen to? Those two nerds, or the fashionable gay guy?!" :lol: I was like, "Oh my god, you're totally right, wtf was I thinking?!" :lol: And yes, my Gucci glasses are super stylin'. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, my gay office friend helped me pick out my new eye glasses. A couple of the ladies were giving me advice, and I was actually starting to take it, and he came over and whispered to me, "what the fuck are you doing?? Don't pick those - they're so dorky - you'll look like a virgin librarian. Pick these ones. Who are going to listen to? Those two nerds, or the fashionable gay guy?!" :lol: I was like, "Oh my god, you're totally right, wtf was I thinking?!" :lol: And yes, my Gucci glasses are super stylin'. :tongue:
    I bet! :lol:
    So should Horos update his visual of you with your new frames? ;)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I'm super into eyewear fashion.
    I have Nautica horn rims on now, I wear grey Columbia wayfarers to work, I wear round Harry Potterish Imagos when I'm fancy, I use old Georgio Armanis for indoor work and playing with kids, and I have prescription Ray-Bans in both wayfarer and aviator styles.  The wayfarers are black with grey tint and the aviators are brown with amber tint.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited December 2017
    rgambs said:
    I'm super into eyewear fashion.
    I have Nautica horn rims on now, I wear grey Columbia wayfarers to work, I wear round Harry Potterish Imagos when I'm fancy, I use old Georgio Armanis for indoor work and playing with kids, and I have prescription Ray-Bans in both wayfarer and aviator styles.  The wayfarers are black with grey tint and the aviators are brown with amber tint.
    Wow. I'm fashion challenged but was still able to picture most of those in my mind! ;)
    Post edited by RogueStoner on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!

He may have been fooling himself that he was ever in the closet.....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:

Already have and don't think I haven't pictured you in your g-string.
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Already have and don't think I haven't pictured you in your g-string.
    To illustrate my earlier point, here's a pic of my son as he just came in to show me he's trying on my shoes. And now he's trying on more. 
    So....yeah.... 

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I really don't see any images. I can imagine them. It's hard for me to 'get' either notion. I didn't read the accompanying document. It is kind of mind blowing. People 'see' books. I can imagine the characters and scenes but I don't see it. And why get hung up on the triangle thing, who the fuck thinks of them in color, they're three lines probably black. Try maybe picturing a horse. Now tell me what color it is. I'm really just not sure which side I would fall on. 
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    I really don't see any images. I can imagine them. It's hard for me to 'get' either notion. I didn't read the accompanying document. It is kind of mind blowing. People 'see' books. I can imagine the characters and scenes but I don't see it. And why get hung up on the triangle thing, who the fuck thinks of them in color, they're three lines probably black. Try maybe picturing a horse. Now tell me what color it is. I'm really just not sure which side I would fall on. 
    I'll admit, I'm in a tough spot as far as visualization. I can "see" some things that are far away or haven't yet happened but then, when I try to meditate, I can't visualize anything they tell me to. But I can easily visualize as I'm reading, seeing or hearing things but only sometimes (for example, I can "see" a news story but I have to read a fictional novel over and over to be able to picture it, because I can't understand many things unless I can picture them. I think it may have more to do with a different sense than actually just being able to visualize things.  I never did take the test. Now I'm curious. Brb. :)
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    chadwick said:
    never heard of this. i'm having a difficult time grasping this condition. for me, i'm bombarded, i've nonstop movies goin on.       
    Me too!  Perfect way to describe it...like nonstop movies.  I'm sure you've read about some of them.  Imagine what you'd all think if I shared all the visions in my mind.  :lol:

I never knew this existed, so its interesting to know how people "see" (or don't see) things.  I've come to rely so much on what I see in my mind...can't imagine life without it.  But it has major drawbacks.  Like when I'm reading a news story and I can "see" the accident, the abuse, whatever it may be. That part is awful.  And very invasive. 
    yeah when reading or watching tv or whatever... um, let's go with reading a book. so here i am reading a story about a dog, my mind wanders so much it is extremely difficult to focus on the story of the dog. i'm visualizing everything else you can imagine except the story at hand. my imagination or mind's eye is similar to a tilted nuclear power plant or anthill or maybe a drop of water lost at sea. sometimes it might be nice to shut it off, but then i'd not be me
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited December 2017
    chadwick said:
    chadwick said:

yeah when reading or watching tv or whatever... um, let's go with reading a book. so here i am reading a story about a dog, my mind wanders so much it is extremely difficult to focus on the story of the dog. i'm visualizing everything else you can imagine except the story at hand. my imagination or mind's eye is similar to a tilted nuclear power plant or anthill or maybe a drop of water lost at sea. sometimes it might be nice to shut it off, but then i'd not be me
    In my "explorations" I've discovered this to be a common feeling among those on the high end of the phantasia scale. One of my first questions when I realized people visualized book as they read them, as an avid reader myself without visualization, was, "Why in the fuck isn't everyone reading all the time if they can do that??" Everyone I asked this of who has vivid imagery abilities said they actually didn't read all that much because it is often simply too exhausting and too difficult to focus. Interesting!

ritalin

adderall

add

adhd

some folks have

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    congratulations on fucking up schoolwork like a mother-f-bomb

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    edited June 2018
    So it's been quite a while since my "big revelation", and I've really come to terms with it. I no longer think I'm even a little bit disadvantaged. I seem to end up with the same results in terms of perception and 'results of thinking and imagining' and enjoyment of thought and perception as anyone else - I just get there in a totally different way. I know many (my mom included) are still pretty confused as to how I manage that... I understand how I manage, but my biggest struggle has been how to explain it to visualizers well, although some seem to understand better than others. My go-to explanation is still simply "I just know." It seems inadequate, but nothing else makes better sense.

But the big news is that I found exactly ONE other person in my "real life" who is also an aphant... and it is my oldest and best friend! When I told him about it, it actually took some real convincing and some proof found on the internet before he even believed that other people literally visualize. :lol: His mind was fairly blown.

And happy bday Lolobugg! - the other resident aphant here on the boards. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:
    So it's been quite a while since my "big revelation", and I've really come to terms with it. I no longer think I'm even a little bit disadvantaged. I seem to end up with the same results in terms of perception and 'results of thinking and imagining' and enjoyment of thought and perception as anyone else - I just get there in a totally different way. I know many (my mom included) is still pretty confused as to how I manage that... I understand how I manage, but my biggest struggle has been how to explain it to visualizers well, although some seem to understand better than others. My go-to explanation is still simply "I just know." It seems inadequate, but nothing else makes better sense.

But the big news is that I found exactly ONE other person in my "real life" who is also an aphant... and it is my oldest and best friend! When I told him about it, it actually took some real convincing and some proof found on the internet before he even believed that other people literally visualize. :lol: His mind was fairly blown.

And happy bday Lolobugg! - the other resident aphant here on the boards. ;)

thanks PJ!

I am glad that you have come to terms with it. it still freaks me out now and then to think that I went this long without realizing it. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2