Options

First Trip Ever to Spain/Barcelona

willnycwillnyc ...nyc Posts: 131
Words cannot describe how excited I am to be traveling to Barcelona for this experience and this show.  I am certainly going to make the most of the trip and plan on getting into town a few days early/sticking around for a few more.  Maybe France? Maybe Portugal afterwards? Haven't been to Europe in 12 years (Scotland).   Any and all "must do" in southern Spain, tips for day trips, or adventures across a border are greatly appreciated.  

See you in Spain :)

Comments

• Options
    tmantman Posts: 158
    I just came back from Spain and Loved Barcelona, if you look ryanair you could plan a cheap trip to somewhere like Morocco as I did, it was an amazing place to visit and the roundtrip cost me only $110 and had I acted sooner I could have paid only $68 roundtrip
  • Options
    Princess BulldozerPrincess Bulldozer Mannheim, Germany Posts: 952
    I was in Portugal earlier this year and the Algarve and Alentejo regions were really beautiful.
    I haven't been to Spain yet! See you in Barcelona.
    Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure - science.
    ~Edwin Powell Hubble

Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Options
    angiebabyazangiebabyaz Tucson, AZ Posts: 148
    Visited Barcelona in September this year and it was just so lovely. The people, the climate, the food, the culture all amazing. When I found out Pearl Jam had a date there, my first choice. Hope to see you all there from Tucson, AZ.
    Phoenix 1992
    San Francisco OSL 2009
    New York City MSG 1&2 2010
    EV Santa Barbara 2011
    Alpine Valley 2011
    Philadelphia, Missoula 2012
    EV Las Vegas 1 & 2, Phoenix 2012
    Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, OKC, Phoenix, Seattle 2013
    Memphis, Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School 2014
    Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro 2015
    Jazz Fest, MSG II, RIDE Fest, Fenway, Wrigley, Ohana 2016
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Don't bother venturing to another country. Stay in Spain for the duration of your trip. There is tons to see and do. Your options are endless. Plus, it's a foodie heaven. Are you flying in and out of Barcelona? Or through Madrid? That might dictate where you go next in Spain.

• Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Lisbon (Portugal) is amazing. Cheaper than a lot of other European capitals, fantastic food and wine and a super interesting history and architecture. 
    I have one wee advise for anyone wanting to do a little sight seeing in Europe: In many major cities there is such a thing as "free walking tours" where a local takes you around town, shows you a lot of amazing spots and tells you about the history and you just tip them in the end. I highly recommend these tours. 
  • Options
    Spain is fantastic:

Southern Spain has must see places like:

1. The Alhambra: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhambra  There is a parador within the walls of the Alhambra...after all the tourists leave at the end of the day, the place is yours...ridiculously awesome.
    2. Malaga and Marbella:  Seaside towns
    3. Ronda: An unforgetable bridge spanning a gorge.  A claim to having the first bullring in Spain.
    4. Gibraltar: Atlas monkeys (the only remaining wild monkeys in Europe)..plus you get the super rare gibraltar coinage....

Up north you have to see the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao and stay in San Sebastian...great food and great beaches....

There are a lot of other places that are "must-sees" in Spain....time is your only enemy.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    eddiec said:
    Don't bother venturing to another country. Stay in Spain for the duration of your trip. There is tons to see and do. Your options are endless. Plus, it's a foodie heaven. Are you flying in and out of Barcelona? Or through Madrid? That might dictate where you go next in Spain.

Agreed! BtW I’m not sure if you are a religious person or not, but while in Barca you need to visit Sagradia Familia. Mind blown!! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mjfulkemjfulke Minnesota, USA Posts: 1
    Just got tickets!  Barcelona, can't wait.   Thanks for the travel tips. Keep them coming.  I went to Madrid, Toledo, Jaen, and Malaga a long time ago.  They were all incredible.   
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,934
    mjfulke said:
    Just got tickets!  Barcelona, can't wait.   Thanks for the travel tips. Keep them coming.  I went to Madrid, Toledo, Jaen, and Malaga a long time ago.  They were all incredible.   
    And the Morocco idea that a previous person suggested is definitely worth some thought! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    sonnasonna Posts: 377
    Barcelona is the bollocks. You'll love it there.
    29/05/2000
    17/08/2009
    22/06/2010
    23/06/2010
    20/06/2012
    21/06/2012
    08/07/2014