Comments

• Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221
    A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
    8 months today. By the grace of God. 
  • 8 months today. By the grace of God. 
    Congrats. Stick with it!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Congrats. Stick with it!
    Thanks! I'm hanging in there.
  • Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Ah yes, makes sense now. :hang_loose:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    edited October 2017
    okie dokie. yesterday marked my year anniversary on a job change. I feel  I had overstayed at the previous job but let fear stop me from moving forward in my career.

The switch happened so easy. 3 weeks from the time I submitted my online app I was starting at the new company.

Now I cant say I would have landed a comparable position had I found the courage sooner, but I can say that once I did, the door opened with ease.

so dont let fear keep you stuck.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096

mickeyrat said:
    okie dokie. yesterday marked my year anniversary on a job change. I feel  I had overstayed at the previous job but let fear stop me from moving forward in my career.

The switch happened so easy. 3 weeks from the time I submitted my online app I was starting at the new company.

Now I cant say I would have landed a comparable position had I found the courage sooner, but I can say that once I did, the door opened with ease.

Congratulations on the new job. Change is a scary beast - but when you face your fears and come through okay it feels so good. I'm so happy for you and for your 8 year sober anniversary.

Way to go! And you have 9 months coming up - one day at a time. 
    njnancy said:

mickeyrat said:

Congratulations on the new job. Change is a scary beast - but when you face your fears and come through okay it feels so good. I'm so happy for you and for your 8 year sober anniversary.

Way to go! And you have 9 months coming up - one day at a time. 
    Thanks 
  • I've just found this page and over the last few nights ive read from the start eagerly waiting to see where everyone is at today. This thread has made me realise I have a problem. Of what level im just not sure but i asked for help today because of this thread. Thank you.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    I've just found this page and over the last few nights ive read from the start eagerly waiting to see where everyone is at today. This thread has made me realise I have a problem. Of what level im just not sure but i asked for help today because of this thread. Thank you.
    awesome. 11 yrs 7 mon 11 days.
    recovery has allowed me to gain/regain self-respect. Am working in an industry doing something I have always wanted to do.

plenty of personal work yet to do, but I have a proven template that works.

whatever the reason behind for your thinking you have a problem, it can be handled one day at a time.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I've been free from my Facebook addiction for about 1 month now. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    10 months sober!
  • I have so many reasons to quit. 
    Ive stumbled along ive been doing dry week days. But now im going to take another step forward and try weekend this weekend. I have an operation sunday so that should be easier. I can't lie i enjoyed drinking but its poison.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I've been free from my Facebook addiction for about 1 month now. 
    I left fb behind nearly 4 years ago now. Best decision ever. For so many reasons keep going
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Well done to all that are sober truly inspirational.. to me. 
    Now that is really dealing with life. Nothing but admiration here
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I've been free from my Facebook addiction for about 1 month now. 
    I left fb behind nearly 4 years ago now. Best decision ever. For so many reasons keep going
    Surprisingly, I haven't really missed it. I feel disconnected though. But I do not miss the depression and anxiety it can cause by comparing with others.
    This is the longest I've stayed off it. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Yeah i missed the friends i made on tour.really sad to loose contact.but i had to go. I strangely felt alone without it and outside but soon realised nobody is "inside" they are all alone and outside.it really is full of sadness and narcissistic people who do not actually care about YOU.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Yeah i missed the friends i made on tour.really sad to loose contact.but i had to go. I strangely felt alone without it and outside but soon realised nobody is "inside" they are all alone and outside.it really is full of sadness and narcissistic people who do not actually care about YOU.
    Yeah, I got sick of the narcissism and sick of people seeing my comments on posts on their newsfeed and replying to it or trying to argue with me.
    I've just found this page and over the last few nights ive read from the start eagerly waiting to see where everyone is at today. This thread has made me realise I have a problem. Of what level im just not sure but i asked for help today because of this thread. Thank you.
    I'm so glad you found us! And realizing you have a problem is the first step. Actually, we kinda know we have a problem for quite awhile before we admit it out loud, at least i did, but when somebody else says it, defenses go up. I fought all the different ideas of sobriety for over 2 years - I didn't want to stop drinking, I love to drink - God I love to drink. And I was dealing with an onset of anxiety and depression at the same time and I just wanted to be 'crazy' and fix that and then I wouldn't have a consumption problems, esp consumption behavior and the awful next morning filled with remorse and embarrassment. But I had been abusing alcohol and other stuff at different points of my life for a long time before the mental health problems popped up. They were just a good excuse (or so I thought). It isn't easy. But I'm so proud that you admitted to us and to someone else in your life that you have a problem - that is huge and I am proud of your honesty. Now what do you do, right?
    I just had my sober anniversary on November 13th - it's been 21 years and 3 weeks of  total sobriety - not just alcohol but any mood altering substance. I'm a coffee junkie now, you can't make me stop drinking my coffee - it's like air to me. And I also have been a smoker for a long time, but I am 5 months without a cigarette - last one I had was beginning of July. I am using a vape thingy, but the craving is basically gone. They absolutely add crap to make your more addicted to the cigarettes. I've gone out at 3am to get a pack. But the vape is just menthol and nicotine and I'm going to switch to non -nicotine vaping soon. I hardly use it though, much different than my obsession with cigarettes for more years than I'd like to admit.
    I can't tell you exactly what changed my wanting to be be sober to just not wanting to drink one day. It happened just like that. One day I woke up and it was gone. I have had a lot of loss in my life so I have my problems with God as my higher power. I don't see how he could take my siblings from me and from their families. I can't make peace with it. My father died, at 67, less than a month after I stopped drinking for real. It was my first immediate family death and it was painful, but I didn't think of drinking. It had been taken from. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I have never wanted to drink in all these years. I have wanted to escape, after a shitty day, week, year and I realize I can't go have a glass of wine with the girls or whatnot. I don't think I've ever just had a glass of anything, from the very beginning. I loved it, and I never wanted to stop. I have coping mechanisms and sleep is my escape when things get really intense - when I wake up from a nap I'm in a different state of mind.

And the first time my one on one therapist suggested I attend an AA meeting, I almost lost my mind. Why would I go talk to alcoholics? I wasn't like them! I just had some problems and I didn't need to hear what they had to say because I had a pre-conceived idea of what kinds of people were alcoholics and I was just a problem drinker. Several rehabs and years later and it was AA that saved my life. I finally decided to give it my all and see what happened - went everyday, sometimes twice a day - that was my homebase because it was safe and the people were just like me, not what I'd imagined. They understood me cause they were going through the same thing. It felt good to have other people say things and I'd realize that I did the same thing. I wasn't alone - I had people who knew me better than I knew myself.

I was a hard case and many thought I wouldn't make it, but here I am. And here you are. You might be surprised at who you bump into at a meeting, if you choose to go. Just keep coming back here and letting us know what's up with you. I don't want you to feel alone, cause you're not. 
    Nancy
    10 months sober!
    That is incredible!! I am so proud of you. It really is quite an accomplishment. I know some people say we shouldn't 'celebrate' ourselves because we're just doing what we're supposed to do (at least I encountered many old timers that kept our vanity in check), but feel good about being sober - it has been great to come here and see your progress. Way to go.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nancy...wow :hug:
  • njnancy said:
    I'm so glad you found us! And realizing you have a problem is the first step. Actually, we kinda know we have a problem for quite awhile before we admit it out loud, at least i did, but when somebody else says it, defenses go up. I fought all the different ideas of sobriety for over 2 years - I didn't want to stop drinking, I love to drink - God I love to drink. And I was dealing with an onset of anxiety and depression at the same time and I just wanted to be 'crazy' and fix that and then I wouldn't have a consumption problems, esp consumption behavior and the awful next morning filled with remorse and embarrassment. But I had been abusing alcohol and other stuff at different points of my life for a long time before the mental health problems popped up. They were just a good excuse (or so I thought). It isn't easy. But I'm so proud that you admitted to us and to someone else in your life that you have a problem - that is huge and I am proud of your honesty. Now what do you do, right?
    I just had my sober anniversary on November 13th - it's been 21 years and 3 weeks of  total sobriety - not just alcohol but any mood altering substance. I'm a coffee junkie now, you can't make me stop drinking my coffee - it's like air to me. And I also have been a smoker for a long time, but I am 5 months without a cigarette - last one I had was beginning of July. I am using a vape thingy, but the craving is basically gone. They absolutely add crap to make your more addicted to the cigarettes. I've gone out at 3am to get a pack. But the vape is just menthol and nicotine and I'm going to switch to non -nicotine vaping soon. I hardly use it though, much different than my obsession with cigarettes for more years than I'd like to admit.
    I can't tell you exactly what changed my wanting to be be sober to just not wanting to drink one day. It happened just like that. One day I woke up and it was gone. I have had a lot of loss in my life so I have my problems with God as my higher power. I don't see how he could take my siblings from me and from their families. I can't make peace with it. My father died, at 67, less than a month after I stopped drinking for real. It was my first immediate family death and it was painful, but I didn't think of drinking. It had been taken from. I know it sounds crazy but it's true. I have never wanted to drink in all these years. I have wanted to escape, after a shitty day, week, year and I realize I can't go have a glass of wine with the girls or whatnot. I don't think I've ever just had a glass of anything, from the very beginning. I loved it, and I never wanted to stop. I have coping mechanisms and sleep is my escape when things get really intense - when I wake up from a nap I'm in a different state of mind.

And the first time my one on one therapist suggested I attend an AA meeting, I almost lost my mind. Why would I go talk to alcoholics? I wasn't like them! I just had some problems and I didn't need to hear what they had to say because I had a pre-conceived idea of what kinds of people were alcoholics and I was just a problem drinker. Several rehabs and years later and it was AA that saved my life. I finally decided to give it my all and see what happened - went everyday, sometimes twice a day - that was my homebase because it was safe and the people were just like me, not what I'd imagined. They understood me cause they were going through the same thing. It felt good to have other people say things and I'd realize that I did the same thing. I wasn't alone - I had people who knew me better than I knew myself.

I was a hard case and many thought I wouldn't make it, but here I am. And here you are. You might be surprised at who you bump into at a meeting, if you choose to go. Just keep coming back here and letting us know what's up with you. I don't want you to feel alone, cause you're not. 
    Nancy
    Wow Nancy i can relate to all of this.
    I have done my first sober week for i don't know how long. I am scared and like you i love drinking but it doesn't love me. So i have managed a week and i onow i won't drink tomorrow either. That s all i know but i really hope i can go further. Because its caused me no end of health problems
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

njnancy said:

Nancy
    Wow Nancy i can relate to all of this.
    I have done my first sober week for i don't know how long. I am scared and like you i love drinking but it doesn't love me. So i have managed a week and i onow i won't drink tomorrow either. That s all i know but i really hope i can go further. Because its caused me no end of health problems
    We get drink alone, we get sober together. I think it is fantastic that you have been sober for a week - way to go!!! But you sound like you are white knuckling it. And that is a shitty way to live cause it's on your mind all the time and you just keep using your willpower. Alcoholism isn't a willpower problem - you aren't a weak human being because you used more than you should or in ways other people didn't - you abused because you have a disease - and willpower and desire to be sober is essential and I commend you. One day, one hour, one second at a time is a great mindset - don't think any further than the next right thing - don't try and think of long term sobriety - it is overwhelming and self defeating. Just keep your mind set on the moment - just know you aren't drinking at this moment. We have no guarantee that we won't drink tomorrow - the disease is insidious - it could creep up on you when you least expect it. Especially in the beginning. You want to be sober tomorrow and you will do whatever you have to to achieve that goal - never say never - I've seen it go sideways for many people. 
    I don't know if you are going to meetings but I really hope you are, or try one. It is scary and something you never imagined would be part of your life - and everyone sitting in that room feels the same way - please give meetings a chance. I am blessed to live in NJ right across from Manhattan, so there are multiple meetings of different sorts every night of the week close to my home. I hope you have that. I don't know if you have any friends or acquaintances that go to AA, but if you do, it would make it easier. That's all I say about meetings - the thing I dreaded saved my life and became a home for me. 
    Most important - keep talking to people and whatever you do, don't drink or use. I hope your health problems are recoverable with this move on your part. There is a lot of life to live and it is possible to have a good life without using. It's something I couldn't imagine but it's true. Shit will happen, but you will be able to deal with it with a clear mind and not using in order to self-medicate when shit gets tough. 

Keep it up for you - you deserve to be healthy and hopeful! You are important and worthy - say positive things and reject the negative shit that wants you to feel worthless and use. If you feed the positive it will flourish - same with the negative - don't feed it. We can hate ourselves more than any other person can. So reject that bullshit and just be proud and make a list of what is good about you. And say one good thing to yourself in the mirror - change your thinking cause the old way will lead you right back to a drink - I know it well. 

Have a great day! 
    edited December 2017
    I hope OP and you people didn't mind the facebook post.
    Internet based addictions are real.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    The holidays are a stressful time. Bumping this thread for all who need the support.
    ELITIST FUK
    Bah Humbug
  • 10 days. My memory is fucked
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited December 2017

10 days. My memory is fucked
    it gets better. likely still detoxing.

you will soon begin to feel some things you used to numb with booze. it may feel intense. ride it out.

keep this phrase in mind... THIS TOO SHALL PASS
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• I feel like i have dementia . Im really struggling so bad with physical symptoms . Thank you for replying
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07