"The mind's eye"/Mental Visualization - Do you have Aphantasia??

Comments

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Ok, I don't want to freak you out, but I'm gonna lol

You realize now that the phrase "picture you naked" is literal?

:lol:
    :rofl:

oh, is it ever!
    Oh my god, I hadn't even thought of that!!! :lol: ... Holy shit.... That is actually a little unsettling, lol. And totally unfair that I can't do the same, lol. I mean, I can think about it, but there's no mental picture. For me it is more like reading about a naked person... with no mental image (I'm not sure you guys know what it is like to read something without an accompanying mental picture though). Well now that trick for people who are afraid of public speaking makes so much more sense. "Just picture everyone naked." I always knew about that "trick" and always thought that it was the dumbest thing I ever heard - how could it be effective to just think about that? It really didn't make sense to me how people were getting anything about of such mental tricks. Huh. Now that I think about it, with terms like that, along with counting sheep, or go to your happy place, etc, I always did sense that maybe I was missing something, since others actually seemed to think it wasn't ludicrous and useless ... I just had no idea what I was missing (or maybe I thought people were, like, more gullible to their own thoughts than I am???). Now I know what I was missing. WOW.

Wow. reading these posts are really making me think. I can't literally picture anything in my mind either. the only time that happens is when I dream. I like you always thought that people weren't being literal about "counting sheep" etc.

I need to check that link that you posted. I might be one of the 1 in 50.

another thing that I have noticed is I trigger memories a lot easier with smell or aural stimuli than with looking at things... ie: old photos, etc.

now I am freaking myself out. need to check that link.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2017
    BTW, thank you for discussing this with me you guys. My need to talk about it is very strong - I'm sure that might be annoying to those not as interested as me (still hoping for another person with aphantasia who is as surprised, shocked and intrigued as I am comes along here soon!). But for those willing to dissect it a bit, it is very appreciated! I'm finding that discussing it like this is really helpful in my figuring this all out, and understanding how others are perceiving things and thinking, and how I am as well. :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    wow that was disturbing... I can't do any of the things they ask in that test.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited December 2017
    lolobugg said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    Oh my god, I hadn't even thought of that!!! :lol: ... Holy shit.... That is actually a little unsettling, lol. And totally unfair that I can't do the same, lol. I mean, I can think about it, but there's no mental picture. For me it is more like reading about a naked person... with no mental image (I'm not sure you guys know what it is like to read something without an accompanying mental picture though). Well now that trick for people who are afraid of public speaking makes so much more sense. "Just picture everyone naked." I always knew about that "trick" and always thought that it was the dumbest thing I ever heard - how could it be effective to just think about that? It really didn't make sense to me how people were getting anything about of such mental tricks. Huh. Now that I think about it, with terms like that, along with counting sheep, or go to your happy place, etc, I always did sense that maybe I was missing something, since others actually seemed to think it wasn't ludicrous and useless ... I just had no idea what I was missing (or maybe I thought people were, like, more gullible to their own thoughts than I am???). Now I know what I was missing. WOW.

Wow. reading these posts are really making me think. I can't literally picture anything in my mind either. the only time that happens is when I dream. I like you always thought that people weren't being literal about "counting sheep" etc.

I need to check that link that you posted. I might be one of the 1 in 50.

another thing that I have noticed is I trigger memories a lot easier with smell or aural stimuli than with looking at things... ie: old photos, etc.

now I am freaking myself out. need to check that link.

YAY!! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :lol:
    Seriously, if you are like me, this really is a big deal - a genuine shock for me .... And a really impactful moment in my life, honestly. Yes, please keep me posted. I'm really interested in hearing from others like me and what their thoughts are, about the emotional impact this realization has. I'm feeling a little lonely being thrown for a loop like this all alone (although there is a pretty solid FB group for people who have this revelation, which has been helpful).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    lolobugg said:
    wow that was disturbing... I can't do any of the things they ask in that test.

Yeah, I agree, the moment of realizing that most people can do that and you can't is extremely disturbing. I also was very disturbed by the fact that I didn't KNOW other people were able to do that. What. The. Fuck.

edited December 2017

it hasn't freaked me out as much as it has you. but I can't believe I never realized this before.

need some time to digest it. the part about picturing someone and the guy says he "knows" what they are wearing, how their hair is braided, etc. but he can't picture the colours, shape of their face.... that is exactly what I see or don't see.

now I know why meditation hasn't worked... I can't picture a damn thing in my mind.

don't worry. I am sure there are a lot of us out there who just don't know it.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right, I know it doesn't mean you see anything with your actual eyes. It's your mind's eye. I get the concept completely. I understand the difference. I do not see anything with my mind's eye at all. Like when I read about that boy with the freckles, no, I can't picture anything in my mind. It's just blackness in my mind's eye. Blackness I guess is the best way I can describe it. I would say it's nothingness... Maybe more accurate because it doesn't feel like my mind's eye isn't functioning properly. It's like I don't have one at all, and in its place is an internal monologue (not auditory) without picturing a thing. I can't fucking believe that you folks are able to actually picture stuff in your mind, lol.
    One of my colleagues told me to "picture a triangle". Well, I can't. So he asked, well, what are you thinking about?? I just said that I was thinking about a triangle, what do you mean?? He asked me how big is it, and what colour is it? ... I don't fucking know. Whatever size or colour I feel like saying? I'd just be making it up, like just choosing how big it is and what colour it is randomly and just saying that? The question actually feels like a logical absurdity to me. :confused:

.... This is weird. I am getting the impression it must be pretty hard to understand how my mind is working for those who have a mind's eye. I think I can only better understand what you all mean by having one because I am fortunately still able to dream visually. I can't imagine what it's like for people with aphantasia who can't even dream visually. The mind's eye must be a bigger mystery to them.
    Yeah, I totally get it.  I think it is a rather odd phenomenon and I honestly had no idea that people could lack this ability.  It's quite a interesting subject, for sure.  And did I read write, it's a fairly recent discovery?  Like, the name for it is only two years old?  It will be interesting to see what other discoveries come from studies of this.  Learning how the brain works is fascinating!
    edited December 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right, I know it doesn't mean you see anything with your actual eyes. It's your mind's eye. I get the concept completely. I understand the difference. I do not see anything with my mind's eye at all. Like when I read about that boy with the freckles, no, I can't picture anything in my mind. It's just blackness in my mind's eye. Blackness I guess is the best way I can describe it. I would say it's nothingness... Maybe more accurate because it doesn't feel like my mind's eye isn't functioning properly. It's like I don't have one at all, and in its place is an internal monologue (not auditory) without picturing a thing. I can't fucking believe that you folks are able to actually picture stuff in your mind, lol.
    One of my colleagues told me to "picture a triangle". Well, I can't. So he asked, well, what are you thinking about?? I just said that I was thinking about a triangle, what do you mean?? He asked me how big is it, and what colour is it? ... I don't fucking know. Whatever size or colour I feel like saying? I'd just be making it up, like just choosing how big it is and what colour it is randomly and just saying that? The question actually feels like a logical absurdity to me. :confused:

.... This is weird. I am getting the impression it must be pretty hard to understand how my mind is working for those who have a mind's eye. I think I can only better understand what you all mean by having one because I am fortunately still able to dream visually. I can't imagine what it's like for people with aphantasia who can't even dream visually. The mind's eye must be a bigger mystery to them.
    Yeah, I totally get it.  I think it is a rather odd phenomenon and I honestly had no idea that people could lack this ability.  It's quite a interesting subject, for sure.  And did I read write, it's a fairly recent discovery?  Like, the name for it is only two years old?  It will be interesting to see what other discoveries come from studies of this.  Learning how the brain works is fascinating!
    Yeah, apparently some guy did a study about it back in 1880, and then it was basically never considered again until 2013, and then finally i got a name in 2015. Amazing that there has been so little attention paid to it... I believe it's exactly because nobody had any idea that people could lack the ability, while those who lacked it had no idea it existed. That combo resulted in literally nobody talking about it I guess. Those with aphantasia just blissfully went around assuming anything that referenced the ability was a figurative term. In a way it's comical.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I often have these mental images of what you guys and girls all look like.
    PJ_Soul, you are brunette with glasses.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited December 2017
    Wow, another interesting point. I hadn't considered the fact that you all have mental images of each other!
    I am not brunette - I've got long, dark blond hair. Interestingly, I never wore glasses until maybe 2 months ago. I just got my first prescription (and I mostly only wear them at work or at a concert or movie). If you've had that mental image longer than that, maybe you're psychic! ;)
    edited December 2017
    I had never heard of this. Interesting though. I think it applies to me as well. Every time someone says "close your eyes and think of ____" all I see is black (or that reddish hue if you're directly facing a light source). I never see the object, but rather focus on the concept of the object. I had never considered that people can actually "see" images in their mind, but I don't find this to be some profound revelation though. It just is what it is.
    well I don't "see" anything either. as I said to soul, I don't know if I'm understanding this correctly. the image is in my mind, not on the backs of my eyelids. 
    I don't get an image in my mind though. The dark/light through the eyelids just permeates through what I'm guessing is other people's mind eye.

PJ_Soul said:
    I had never heard of this. Interesting though. I think it applies to me as well. Every time someone says "close your eyes and think of ____" all I see is black (or that reddish hue if you're directly facing a light source). I never see the object, but rather focus on the concept of the object. I had never considered that people can actually "see" images in their mind, but I don't find this to be some profound revelation though. It just is what it is.
    Wow, really? Yeah, I'm finding it to be the most profound discovery of my entire life. It affects absolutely everything about me. How I process info, how I remember things, how I learn, memorize, recognize, read, write, speak, listen... fucking everything. Yes, it is what it is... which is everything! ;)
    Sorry I'm not more excited about it, but I tend to be pretty even keel over most things. Sure it has probably affected those things you mention, but at this point in my life I'm not looking for strategies to learn/memorize for school.
    Fair enough. I am kind of a spaz, lol (although I'm not alone in my excitement, so I don't think it's uncalled for, which is comforting, ahah). I'm not really looking for strategies either, although that part interests me more in an academic, less personal way. Same with just all the concepts involved as far as brain function goes. I think my personal interest more lies in understanding other people and the way they think compared to me, how that shapes perception, knowledge, impressions of the world, art, music, and literature appreciation, and not memorization, but actual emotional memory formation and retrieving memories from my life, of people I know, facial recognition tactics, language abilities, etc. But yeah, hey, if you're happy not thinking about it too much more power to ya. ;)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,709
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    A little off topic, I suppose, but what this reminds me of is that some people have a great ability to visualize something that is not there.  For example, if I see a room that is arranged in a way that is pleasing to me, I know it right away.  But give me an empty room and ask me to fill it with familiar objects, and I'm pretty much at a loss.  I will break my back moving every piece of furniture and putting every picture on every wall in every possible combination before I can say, "Ah ha!  That looks good!"  Makes me crazy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I forgot all about Wolfmother and haven't listened to them in years - thanks for the reminder! That is a solid song!
    brianlux said:
    A little off topic, I suppose, but what this reminds me of is that some people have a great ability to visualize something that is not there.  For example, if I see a room that is arranged in a way that is pleasing to me, I know it right away.  But give me an empty room and ask me to fill it with familiar objects, and I'm pretty much at a loss.  I will break my back moving every piece of furniture and putting every picture on every wall in every possible combination before I can say, "Ah ha!  That looks good!"  Makes me crazy!
    Sounds like you have an issue with spatial visualization maybe?? Have you ever taken a spatial visualization test? There are many of them online.
  • jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I don't really understand. Do you mean that if I asked you to picture your mother in your head, you wouldn't be able to remember what she looks like and visualise it in your mind (like seeing a photograph)?
  • amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Self discovery is a great thing!

I learned people don't thing the same, hear the same, etc.  We are all different in so many ways and it can be our asset or liability based on how we live and learn.

to learn a new character or symbol, I would look at the board or book example and just copy.  Once that symbol was committed to memory (which is different than ability to visualize) I am able to reproduce it.  I can visualize images in my head, but cannot reproduce them in a painting or drawing.  I know what Bart Simpson looks like but not so much I can reproduce it, not sure I could accurately describe it.

i can imagine myself flying like super an, riding a horse, a wide variety of things.  If you give me a blank room and tell me to build my dream kitchen, I have a hard time imagining my perfect kitchen.  If I had multiple choice of kitchens, I could pick one.

fwiw pj soul, I think your posts are of the most insightful, sensitive and down to earth as anyone with a different way of thinking.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
    I don't really understand. Do you mean that if I asked you to picture your mother in your head, you wouldn't be able to remember what she looks like and visualise it in your mind (like seeing a photograph)?
    I remember what she looks like, but I can't visualize it at all. No imagery in my mind whatsoever. I just kind of .... know what she looks like. I don't know how else to describe it. To me if feels normal, but I completely understand how this might be hard to conceive for almost everyone else, now that I know how other people think. It's crazy.
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    chadwick said:
    never heard of this. i'm having a difficult time grasping this condition. for me, i'm bombarded, i've nonstop movies goin on.       
    Me too!  Perfect way to describe it...like nonstop movies.  I'm sure you've read about some of them.  Imagine what you'd all think if I shared all the visions in my mind.  :lol:

I never knew this existed, so its interesting to know how people "see" (or don't see) things.  I've come to rely so much on what I see in my mind...can't imagine life without it.  But it has major drawbacks.  Like when I'm reading a news story and I can "see" the accident, the abuse, whatever it may be. That part is awful.  And very invasive. 
    A farmer told me a story how he put his ailing, aged dog down, himself, didn't believe in paying a vet for that.  I could not get the image out of my mind for days.

Midnight Meat Train gave me bad dreams for a few days.  Good and bad in everything.
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
    amethgr8 said:
    Self discovery is a great thing!

I learned people don't thing the same, hear the same, etc.  We are all different in so many ways and it can be our asset or liability based on how we live and learn.

to learn a new character or symbol, I would look at the board or book example and just copy.  Once that symbol was committed to memory (which is different than ability to visualize) I am able to reproduce it.  I can visualize images in my head, but cannot reproduce them in a painting or drawing.  I know what Bart Simpson looks like but not so much I can reproduce it, not sure I could accurately describe it.

i can imagine myself flying like super an, riding a horse, a wide variety of things.  If you give me a blank room and tell me to build my dream kitchen, I have a hard time imagining my perfect kitchen.  If I had multiple choice of kitchens, I could pick one.

fwiw pj soul, I think your posts are of the most insightful, sensitive and down to earth as anyone with a different way of thinking.
     That is interesting amethrgr8 - I am not sure I really understand how one can visualize something but not be able to reproduce it in a painting or drawing. But I guess of course that is often the case, since if it weren't everyone would be an amazing artist! :lol: Do you think this has something to do with the link between thought or memory and dexterity or motor control??

And thank you, that is very kind of you to say that. :)
    edited December 2017
    chadwick said:
    never heard of this. i'm having a difficult time grasping this condition. for me, i'm bombarded, i've nonstop movies goin on.       
    Me too!  Perfect way to describe it...like nonstop movies.  I'm sure you've read about some of them.  Imagine what you'd all think if I shared all the visions in my mind.  :lol:

I never knew this existed, so its interesting to know how people "see" (or don't see) things.  I've come to rely so much on what I see in my mind...can't imagine life without it.  But it has major drawbacks.  Like when I'm reading a news story and I can "see" the accident, the abuse, whatever it may be. That part is awful.  And very invasive. 
    Holy, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I can see how that would be awful and invasive. I can certainly recall something terrible I've seen, but only emotionally and in terms of the facts, like a description of the scene (which is bad enough), not in any visual way. That extra layer of recall could certainly be very disturbing... Hmm. I wonder if aphantasia has any impact on PTSD for soldiers or other victims of extreme trauma?? That would be interesting statistic to look into. Perhaps those who can't visualize are not so negatively impacted because they at least don't have to suffer from having those images actually in their heads. Of course up until the other day, I thought "having those images in your head" meant something completely different than what it actually means... Knowing what it really means changes my concept of trauma as it is experienced by others in a really big way.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Sounds like you have an issue with spatial visualization maybe?? Have you ever taken a spatial visualization test? There are many of them online.
    No shit!  I took this test and actually thought I had done pretty well:

https://www.123test.com/spatial-reasoning-test/id=1YJO4E1WKVJK

And then I looked at my results:  "You answered 0 out of 10 questions correctly."

Honest to God.  Shit! :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

And then I looked at my results:  "You answered 0 out of 10 questions correctly."

:lol: Well I guess that puzzle is solved! ;)
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

:lol: Well I guess that puzzle is solved! ;)
    I'm glad you can laugh with me.  :lol:

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, another interesting point. I hadn't considered the fact that you all have mental images of each other!
    I am not brunette - I've got long, dark blond hair. Interestingly, I never wore glasses until maybe 2 months ago. I just got my first prescription (and I mostly only wear them at work or at a concert or movie). If you've had that mental image longer than that, maybe you're psychic! ;)
    Close enough!

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited December 2017
    I thought that test was challenging but did pretty well.  It takes all types of thinkers to gain balance in the universe and on the forum!  I'm not sure what trains a young brain for this or that.  We had a lot of outdoor activities as children, farm chores, bicycles, motor bikes, horses, racing, obstacles corse-Inge each other, swimming, sparring, there were four of us till we started school.  Played monopoly, clue, life, war, rummy, solitaire, cartoons at certain times.  Public schooling, some religion.  "They say" a human general personality is formed in the first two years of life and I can't remember what I was exposed to during that time, so who knows.  We are all here for our own purpose and our specific thinking patterns are to that end, Taylormade for each, eh....
    Post edited by amethgr8 on
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    PJ_Soul said:
    chadwick said:

Holy, I hadn't thought of that. Yes, I can see how that would be awful and invasive. I can certainly recall something terrible I've seen, but only emotionally and in terms of the facts, like a description of the scene (which is bad enough), not in any visual way. That extra layer of recall could certainly be very disturbing... Hmm. I wonder if aphantasia has any impact on PTSD for soldiers or other victims of extreme trauma?? That would be interesting statistic to look into. Perhaps those who can't visualize are so negatively impacted because they at least don't have to suffer from having those images actually in their heads. Of course up until the other day, I thought "having those images in your head" meant something completely different than what it actually means... Knowing what it really means changes my concept of trauma as it is experienced by others in a really big way.
    Oooh. I love the way you think. I know what I'm googling when I can't sleep tonight. :smiley:
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

oh, is it ever!
    Oh my god, I hadn't even thought of that!!! :lol: ... Holy shit.... That is actually a little unsettling, lol.  
    I've definitely pictured you naked. ;) WOW!
    #FHP
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    I forgot all about Wolfmother and haven't listened to them in years - thanks for the reminder! That is a solid song!
    that song is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD