Trump dismantling our National Monuments

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
This thread is for concerns for our National Monuments.  I believe this issue warrants a separate thread. 

Do you ever get so angry over an issue that you find it hard even to type?  That's how I feel as of this writing.  Trump is making strong efforts to reduce or outright eliminate some of our National Parks and Monuments. 

First up:  Utah's Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments.  If you've ever visited these regions, you'll understand how egregiously fucked up Trump's efforts are to reduce these monuments and open them up to drilling and mining.  Only someone who hates nature and beauty could do such a thing.  This is outrageous.

Read it and weep:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/trump-shrinks-bears-ears-grand-staircase-escalante-national-monuments/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Heartbreaking and infuriating.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Ignorant hateful jackass
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Just when I thought I couldn’t hate him any more than I already do.

What the FUCK?
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • You get what ask for.

Trump couldn't give two shits for the preservation of land. He has no appreciation or understanding of the value.

He's a f**king idiot. Why'd you guys elect him?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited December 2017
    POS President.

.@POTUS is making a mistake that risks the ~$900B outdoor recreation economy & a source of good jobs in NM & across the nation. Shrinking our monuments is bad for our economy & our natural heritage. #MonumentsForAll #StandWithBearsEars#SaveGrandStaircase https://abqjournal.com/1101615 

Post edited by stuckinline on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    You get what ask for.

Trump couldn't give two shits for the preservation of land. He has no appreciation or understanding of the value.

Ignorance
    Spite
    "Protest" votes
    Idiocy

I think that about covers it.

POS President.

.@POTUS is making a mistake that risks the ~$900B outdoor recreation economy & a source of good jobs in NM & across the nation. Shrinking our monuments is bad for our economy & our natural heritage. #MonumentsForAll #StandWithBearsEars#SaveGrandStaircase https://abqjournal.com/1101615 

This is a magical, beautiful, stunning, literally awesome part of the world.  To be willing to desecrate such a place, a person must truly be evil and/or hate natural beauty.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    We seem to be burying the proverbial lede
    Trump is an ass clown but...

WHAT HAPPENS NEXT

We shouldn’t expect a big transformation at Bears Ears, at least initially. Created in the waning days of the Obama administration, all changes were put on hold pending Secretary Zinke’s review. The Bureau of Land Management manages the land and its footprint has always been light: until last year only one full-time law enforcement ranger oversaw the massive acreage, which descends from the pine forests and high meadows of Elk Ridge and the Bears Ears, twin buttes held sacred by local tribes, through fissured sandstone canyon systems and piñon-juniper desert notched with bladed ridges and packed with ancestral Pueblo artifacts....

....There are lucrative oil and gas fields on the monument’s northern and southeastern boundaries, but terrain within the boundaries is rugged, remote, and archeologically sensitive.

“Oil and gas plays are not economically viable now,” says Josh Ewing, executive director of local nonprofit conservation group Friends of Cedar Mesa. But, he adds, “they could be in the future.”

THREATS FACING BEARS EARS

The biggest threat to Bears Ears in the immediate future, says Ewing, is visiting tourists. For many years, the area’s very remoteness protected its rich archeology. There are more than 100,000 ancestral Puebloan sites—cliff dwellings tucked into mineral-streaked sandstone alcoves, kivas, great houses, room blocks, ancient roads—encompassing millions of potsherds, petroglyphs, textiles, animal and human remains, sandals, grinding stones, 800-year-old corn cobs. But the era of geotagging and image searches has altered that balance: “What the Internet did was take the images and the beauty and incredible archaeology and put it out there for people,” Ewing says.

His organization estimates that visits to the area tripled between 2005 and 2015, doubled again in 2016, and doubled yet again in the first half of 2017, as the battle over the monument put Bears Ears in the news. As visitation has risen, so has the damage: tourists pocketing potsherds, campers using century-old Navajo hogans for firewood; graffiti on ancient rock panels; all-terrain vehicles blasting through ancestral burial grounds.

“The strategy of leaving it alone and trying to keep it a secret is an unsustainable option for protecting the land,” says Ewing.

Local opponents of the monument also agree that visitation is a problem. “I don’t think you’ll talk to anyone in San Juan County who believes it doesn’t need more protection,” says Nicole Perkins, a librarian in the gateway town of Blanding who has helped lead local opposition to the monument.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I wouldn't be surprised if he built a tRump hotel on the edge of the Grand Canyon...and his supporters would love it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    what he's done to the country in a little over 1yr will take 30 yrs to reverse and as long as the GOP have their say we can't do anything about , i'm hoping a coronary comes his way soon very soon ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    what he's done to the country in a little over 1yr will take 30 yrs to reverse and as long as the GOP have their say we can't do anything about , i'm hoping a coronary comes his way soon very soon ....
    http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/12/04/mcdonalds-kfc-and-oreos-trump-s-fast-food-habits-detailed-in-upcoming-book.html

tRump's standing McDonald's order is 2 Big Macs, 2 Filet-o-Fish and a chocolate malted....I didn't know McD's had malts but whatever.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Navajo Nation is suing tRump....good for them

We need a stronger Congress to stand up to Trump and tell him, "No way are we going to let you destroy this country- not its people, not its land, and not its beauty.  Your an embarrassment to the world."

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    You get what ask for.

Maybe Hillary should have visited Wisconsin during the election instead of her book tour.

Too bad about Escalante.   Just flat out beautiful country that people want to strip mine
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Jason P said:
    You get what ask for.

Maybe Hillary should have visited Wisconsin during the election instead of her book tour.

Too bad about Escalante.   Just flat out beautiful country that people want to strip mine
    Hillary was terrible but that doesn't relieve Trump voters of responsibility for what they did. There were more than two candidates listed on every ballot cast in this country. Any one of the 63 million could have voted third party. Not one of them needed to vote for Trump. They own him.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Jason P said:
    You get what ask for.

I did some hiking there many years ago and man was is it gorgeous!!  Fucjing trump 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    I live in Utah.

trump is jackass; the folks who voted for him are morons and I blame FOX and it's less civilized ilk for creating this whole shitstorm of angry white hate.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/04/trump-bears-ears-grand-staircase-escalante-monuments-shrink

"If Trump follows through with all those recommendations, protected areas in Nevada, Oregon and California would be resized, as well as two vast marine monuments in the Pacific ocean. The areas could be remodeled to allow activities such as timber production, grazing or commercial fishing."

"While the Trump administration has touted an economic boon from an influx of development, opponents point out that the tourism and local business stimulated by monument declarations is often far more valuable."

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Wobbie said:
    I live in Utah.

trump is jackass; the folks who voted for him are morons and I blame FOX and it's less civilized ilk for creating this whole shitstorm of angry white hate.
    Were people in Utah pissed when escalante was created?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    brianlux said:
    We need a stronger Congress to stand up to Trump and tell him, "No way are we going to let you destroy this country- not its people, not its land, and not its beauty.  Your an embarrassment to the world."
    You see that is where we are wrong Congress is not ever going to stand up to him if they haven't already after all the crap he has said & done , they laugh at him behind his back and pat him on the back when he's doing something they want ! the only way to stop him is to get him out of office and the GOP will fight tooth& nail for him just look at how BURR & NUNES will bend over for him no questions asked ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    He makes me sick. He truly is a disgrace to humanity.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    JimmyV said:
    Jason P said:
    You get what ask for.

Hillary was terrible but that doesn't relieve Trump voters of responsibility for what they did. There were more than two candidates listed on every ballot cast in this country. Any one of the 63 million could have voted third party. Not one of them needed to vote for Trump. They own him.
    Kim Kardashian may stand a better chance of being the first female POTUS the way things are going. THE FUTURE!

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    brianlux said:
    They are ALL sold out to the energy industry who just wants to suck the planet dry
    brianlux said:
    You see that is where we are wrong Congress is not ever going to stand up to him if they haven't already after all the crap he has said & done , they laugh at him behind his back and pat him on the back when he's doing something they want ! the only way to stop him is to get him out of office and the GOP will fight tooth& nail for him just look at how BURR & NUNES will bend over for him no questions asked ....
    True, Jose.
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    They are ALL sold out to the energy industry who just wants to suck the planet dry
    And true again, my2hands.
    Right on!  Thank you Patagonia/ Rose Marcario/ Yvon Chouinard!

• JimmyV said:
    Jason P said:
    You get what ask for.

This is what I was getting at.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • “Both parties are the same.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    “Both parties are the same.”
    I have said this before and in some fundamental ways, I find it too be true, but this is a good example of how they are not the same.  Much as I'm not a fan of her, Hillary would not have done this nor would have a democratic congress.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited December 2017
    brianlux said:
    “Both parties are the same.”
    I have said this before and in some fundamental ways, I find it too be true, but this is a good example of how they are not the same.  Much as I'm not a fan of her, Hillary would not have done this nor would have a democratic congress.
    But she would have taken away guns, opened the borders and started wars while making millions off her wall street cronies :n
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Finally a truly impeachable offense, knowingly selling of stolen property!
    JC29856 said:
    Finally a truly impeachable offense, knowingly selling of stolen property!
    Yes, it was stolen.  All of it, everywhere.  That is worth remembering.  It's not going to be given back so the "property" (I hate that term.  Like, you own a piece of the planet?) is, A) going to remain  protected as National Parks and National Monuments with all their natural beauty or b) become yet more industrial waste land.

I'm tired of watching the earth get eaten up.  In just this short life- it blows my mi.., no, it fucks with my mind.

Easy choice, don't you think?