Time Inc. Sells Itself to Meredith Corp., Backed by Koch Brothers

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Now why do you suppose Koch bros. would want to do that?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/business/dealbook/time-inc-meredith-corporation-koch-brothers.html

A long chapter in media history came to an unlikely close on Sunday night with a sale agreement for Time Inc., the publisher of once-prestigious magazine titles including Time, Sports Illustrated and People.

The Meredith Corporation — the owner of Family Circle, Better Homes and Gardens and AllRecipes — agreed to purchase Time Inc. in an all-cash transaction valued at nearly $3 billion. The deal was made possible, in part, by an infusion of $650 million from the private equity arm of Charles G. and David H. Koch, the billionaire brothers known for using their wealth and political connections to advance conservative causes.

More at link.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Well, there goes the credibility of Time. The world is a losing battle.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Because the Koch Brothers don't have enough, They just want more and more and more...............................
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    A free press is a fundamental part of democracy and I fear it won't be free if it's all politicized and controlled by one side. It has to be above all that. It's a scary time, no pun intended. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I foe one will no longer be reading time
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    tbergs said:
    Well, there goes the credibility of Time. The world is a losing battle.
    Sure seems like it.  :frowning:
    Because the Koch Brothers don't have enough, They just want more and more and more...............................
    ...and more!
    Kat said:
    A free press is a fundamental part of democracy and I fear it won't be free if it's all politicized and controlled by one side. It has to be above all that. It's a scary time, no pun intended. 
    "Scary Time" indeed, Kat!
    I foe one will no longer be reading time
    Time will be my foe as well (taking advantage of your typo!) :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    this can't be good for journalism.

Then again, it can't be good for anybody.

except the kochs and the republican party.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Kat said:
    Too late.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Lets hope they go belly up, get desperate, and sell out to the good folks at the Onion!

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    brianlux said:

Lets hope they go belly up, get desperate, and sell out to the good folks at the Onion!
    funny thing is even though it is satire, the onion will be more truthful than anything backed by the kochs. kind of like jon stewart.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:

funny thing is even though it is satire, the onion will be more truthful than anything backed by the kochs. kind of like jon stewart.
    Oh, for sure!

PB11041 said:
    A lovely little Horatio Alger story.  Everybody gets to be a millionaire!  Oh, but the planet.  Ooops! 

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Can I still subscribe to Food & Wine?
    Can I still subscribe to Food & Wine?
    If you like GMO's red wine (not blue) and elephant burgers (sorry, no donkey stew), you bet!

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    A lovely little Horatio Alger story.  Everybody gets to be a millionaire!  Oh, but the planet.  Ooops! 
    I am doubting you listened to any of it.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    I read the transcript.  I'm familiar with this kind of ploy to make super wealthy people look like benevolent souls.  I don't buy it.  Not for a minute.  Except maybe Warren Buffet.  He might (might) be a rare exception.  But Koch?  No way.  Don't be fooled. 

• Ralph Naders fictional and rare account of how to save the world... is my favorite pair of rose glasses!
    Ralph Naders fictional and rare account of how to save the world... is my favorite pair of rose glasses!
    Whatever happened to old Ralphy?

brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    I read the transcript.  I'm familiar with this kind of ploy to make super wealthy people look like benevolent souls.  I don't buy it.  Not for a minute.  Except maybe Warren Buffet.  He might (might) be a rare exception.  But Koch?  No way.  Don't be fooled. 
    Well then, for anyone else that is not sucked into conspiracy theories on how two guys from Wichita are grinding the gears for themselves alone, you can go ahead and listen to this and then venture deeper beyond the boogey man stories that create a convenient fiction that is easily dismissed.

Truths and nuance are harder to swallow than area 51 theories.

PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    Well then, for anyone else that is not sucked into conspiracy theories on how two guys from Wichita are grinding the gears for themselves alone, you can go ahead and listen to this and then venture deeper beyond the boogey man stories that create a convenient fiction that is easily dismissed.

I don't know where you come up with this nonsense about me swallowing area 51 theories or boogie man stories.  Your post actually got me to laughing at it's absurdity.  Stick around awhile and you'll see that isn't me.

brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:

I don't know where you come up with this nonsense about me swallowing area 51 theories or boogie man stories.  Your post actually got me to laughing at it's absurdity.  Stick around awhile and you'll see that isn't me.
    It's juxtaposition, for effect. 

PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:
    brianlux said:
    PB11041 said:

It's juxtaposition, for effect. 
    Sorry, that doesn't make sense.  Sounds closer to trolling.  But, whatever.