***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    edited November 2017
    The Internet is a very leaky thing.

I listened to the album once and it’s very pop and full of hooks.  Didn’t hate it but I wonder if it will hold up for me in the long run.  And I’m pretty certain I heard some autotune on two songs.  Wasn’t Bono’s voice but not something I don't want on any album I buy.

Was hoping for something a little better from U2 after saying the album was almost done for the last four years.  I just can’t get over the jingly songs on it.  Might grow on me though…  

Post edited by CJ260717 on
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Horse2345 said:
    for the record, its not a top 3 of the year good (like Rolling Stone says), but for 21st century U2, its really good. 
    Just for comparison who would you put as top 3 or 5 this year? I haven't really been over excited for much this year, have to dl this today though.
    My top 10.

1. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
    2. Kendrick Lamar - Damn.
    3. National - Sleep Well Beast
    4. Jlin - Black Origami
    5. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    6. AFX - Field Day
    7. Thee Oh Sees - Orc
    8. Thundercat - Drunk
    9. Four Tet - New Energy
    10. Actress - AZD

• Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Horse2345 said:
    for the record, its not a top 3 of the year good (like Rolling Stone says), but for 21st century U2, its really good. 
    Just for comparison who would you put as top 3 or 5 this year? I haven't really been over excited for much this year, have to dl this today though.
    My top 10.

1. Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
    2. Kendrick Lamar - Damn.
    3. National - Sleep Well Beast
    4. Jlin - Black Origami
    5. LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
    6. AFX - Field Day
    7. Thee Oh Sees - Orc
    8. Thundercat - Drunk
    9. Four Tet - New Energy
    10. Actress - AZD

Cool, ill check those out.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    edited November 2017
    CJ260717 said:
    The Internet is a very leaky thing.

I listened to the album once and it’s very pop and full of hooks.  Didn’t hate it but I wonder if it will hold up for me in the long run.  And I’m pretty certain I heard some autotune on two songs.  Wasn’t Bono’s voice but not something I don't want on any album I buy.

Was hoping for something a little better from U2 after saying the album was almost done for the last four years.  I just can’t get over the jingly songs on it.  Might grow on me though…  

There is Auto tune on the opening track, but its more in the Bon Iver style rather than T-Pain.

Auto Tune aside, the opening track is the most interesting song on the LP and is probably my favorite. Makes me feel like if they did Zooropa today it would sound like that.

• Man I hope all this praise for the album is legitimate.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Spent way too much on tickets this morning. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Spent way too much on tickets this morning. 
    Oh man how much?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    $1200 for 4 tickets.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

"You're the best thing about me" is just terrible.  Can't get excited for this new album with a song like that.  Just a terrible, awful, awful song.

It grew on me. Its probably the most accessible U2-y single that they have put out since ATYCLB
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    $1200 for 4 tickets.

This is why i didn't buy tickets. I like U2, but to spend over $600 for 2 tickets is RIDICULOUS. And, they were the cheapest tickets.
    Yeah. Some friends are covering the other 2. At least its guaranteed to be a good show. Also our seats are at half court about midway up the lower bowel, so they'll be solid seats. 

but yeah, its an expensive night out. Probably blew my concert budget out with it. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2017
    First song on the album makes me ask what is up with this apparent compulsion so many artists now have to auto tune the shit out of a perfectly good song?? I just don't get it.
    Besides that travesty, the album's okay. Several songs that I sort of enjoy. They'll never make anything as good as they used to again, but hey, that's life.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Besides that travesty, the album's okay. Several songs that I sort of enjoy. They'll never make anything as good as they used to again, but hey, that's life.
    We could use this exact statement for any pearl jam album post yield.  
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    I like the new album!
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Well, it sounds like they finally made 'Pop'. The desperation to sound relevant really isn't becoming boys. 
  • mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is true.

But the same can't be said for the RHCP. These studs are flourishing still.
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is true.

For some reason I just never got into RHCP.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is true.

For some reason I just never got into RHCP.
    Probably all that ear hair muffling the great sound.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Love what I’ve listened to already! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Such a great record! Wow! Most straight forward set in a long time. Since All That You from 2000. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Really like Summer of Love, Red Flag Day, Little Things (favorite), The Blackout, and Love is bigger than anything in its way. Wondering what they setlists will look like next year?
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I just got the new album, but i haven't got a chance to listen yet.

My friend was able to get us tickets for a show next year, and man, they are expensive. We got tickets near the roof and it cost near $200 a ticket. I know they sold cheap GA tickets, but this old man can't do GA anymore>LOL> We couldn't score those tickets anyway. I saw that Lower Bowl tickets are going for OVER $300 for ONE ticket. I could've got those tickets, but that is just WAY too much money, even to see U2.  I like the Band a lot, but they've turned into the Rolling Stones, as far as charging BIG $$$$ and playing the same set list every show, on a particular tour. But, they're still making music and touring, so that's a good thing. I'm sure we'll enjoy the show.
    edited December 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is true.

I'm someone who thinks Binaural and Riot Act are their two best albums and who puts S/T above their first 3 albums too - so basically I think their 1st 8 albums are perfections, and I'll have to disagree with you guys. ;) But it's true since BS, obviously. There is no way a band can make a big creative comeback after BS and LB.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Tickets for the second Boston show are moving very slow.
    You can get row 2 in the Loge right now.
    Those prices are crazy.
    edited December 2017
    Those prices are crazy.
    Yeah, you'd think they've got enough money by now and could lower those fucking prices to something close to reasonable. It just seems like greed at this point.
  • CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    Those prices are crazy.
    So i'm confused - did the 2nd show not sell out?  When I go online I see a bunch of tickets and assume they are part of the re-seller market?  If that is the case does a show ever sell out anymore?
    CJ260717 said:
    Those prices are crazy.
    So i'm confused - did the 2nd show not sell out?  When I go online I see a bunch of tickets and assume they are part of the re-seller market?  If that is the case does a show ever sell out anymore?
    Lots of balcony-level tix for $128 each. Is that face value or resale prices?
    tons of tickets left for the newark show.  GA tickets are a great deal but the rest of them are just too damn expensive.
  • If they come near me I'll be going. This is a band I don't think it's wise to pass on.