Options

Long Time Running

bert10486bert10486 Northern Ontario Posts: 57
In Chicago Eddie sent out his best to Gord Downie during the hips last concert in Kingston. Myself with probably 15 million people watched Long Time Running tonight. Sorry Everyone, but must say one of the best documentaries I’ve seen. Sums up bands and music. Educational, emotional....fucking awesome. 
“Been to a few...” 

Comments

• Options
    There was a point in the show where they mentioned how Gord, the brilliant lyricist, brought the band together early in their career and said something along the lines of, "We need to be five equal parts here."

My wife said, "The Canadian way."

I replied, "Yup." But the more I thought about what she said in response to that moment in the program... the more I felt great about Canada and our mentality. I was reminded of the Tim Hortons ad- 'the Canadian standoff': where two goofballs argued as to who got to pay for the coffees.

Share. Care. Generous. Selfless.

Keep up the good work Canadians.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bert10486bert10486 Northern Ontario Posts: 57
    Yes. 
    “Been to a few...” 

• Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    Just caught this on Netflx -- have had spots over the years where I've been big into das Hips, but not so much in recent years. Listening to the Wrigley shows, and heard Eddie's mention of Gord Downie and remembered seeing that the doc was available.

What a film -- sad but uplifting at the same time. A band with some great songs, and interesting to see a fanbase that I think rivals PJ's for dedication. Well worth the time to watch if you're so inclined.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    There was a point in the show where they mentioned how Gord, the brilliant lyricist, brought the band together early in their career and said something along the lines of, "We need to be five equal parts here."

My wife said, "The Canadian way."

I replied, "Yup." But the more I thought about what she said in response to that moment in the program... the more I felt great about Canada and our mentality. I was reminded of the Tim Hortons ad- 'the Canadian standoff': where two goofballs argued as to who got to pay for the coffees.

Share. Care. Generous. Selfless.

Keep up the good work Canadians.
    the drummer hit the jackpot. LOL

seriously, though, I don't see how any band could function if not equal. I mean, resentment is BOUND to trickle in. especially if the difference is palpable. I'm sure all the guys in PJ are all rich, so it doesn't matter as much. But the Hip? almost all of the royalties probably would have gone to Bobby Baker and Gord. The bassist wrote the lyrics on the first record (EP) I think, but they haven't played those songs live in years, and barely get radio play. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Massara133Massara133 Stettler AB Canada Posts: 430
    I understand your point but I think their 30+ year career shows resentment never trickled in, which just goes to show they were never doing it for the money. Another example - Sloan
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I understand your point but I think their 30+ year career shows resentment never trickled in, which just goes to show they were never doing it for the money. Another example - Sloan
    why would it in the Hip's case? they split it 20/20/20/20/20. the only resentment that may have occured in any justifiable way would have been on Gord's side. but from what I gather, it was at his insistence, and very wisely, to all be equals. 

what i like about sloan, is that they all contribute musically in the writing. I mean, sloan's last record was a double with each guy writing one side. that's pretty flippin' cool. I know the Hip split everything equally, but who really knows who wrote what. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD