Updated - Bitcoins

2»

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Anyone get rich?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Anyone get rich?
    Nope. But a $500 gamble I made in August on this stuff doubled today.  Cashed out my initial $500 and will let the rest of it ride. The concept/tech of crypto is interesting, and has a lotof potential, but I think a lot of people will end up being disappointed when the bubble pops. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Anyone get rich?
    Nope. But a $500 gamble I made in August on this stuff doubled today.  Cashed out my initial $500 and will let the rest of it ride. The concept/tech of crypto is interesting, and has a lotof potential, but I think a lot of people will end up being disappointed when the bubble pops. 
    My millionaire uncle. He told me to buy up years ago, but I don't play the game.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Amir1978Amir1978 Posts: 143
    It's a very risky investment so maybe don't rush and put your kids' college tuition into it... :)
    Keep also in mind that Bitcoin is not the only digital currency anymore. Cryptocurrencies are basically born every day.
    Take a look at Ethereum and Litecoin too.
    Finally, if you really want to play, choose the right service to buy and save them; you don't want to just throw your money to the first self-acclaimed Bitcoin vendor on the internet.
    Rome 1996 - Milan 2000 - Verona 2006 - London 2009 - EV Hammersmith II 2012 - Milan 2014 - EV Florence & Sicily I-II 2017 - Barolo 2019
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    A friend had a couple hundred bitcoin on a laptop which he unfortunately lost. Not that he's hurting these days but can't help feeling bad for him. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    100 Pacer said:
    A friend had a couple hundred bitcoin on a laptop which he unfortunately lost. Not that he's hurting these days but can't help feeling bad for him. 
    Noooooooo
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    100 Pacer said:
    That really sucks.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    100 Pacer said:
    Read an article earlier this week that said around 4 million bitcoins have been lost for good.
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 434
    100 Pacer said:
    Read an article earlier this week that said around 4 million bitcoins have been lost for good.
    This is true.  Allegedly, the total supply is $21 million coins of which about 16m have been mined and 3-4m have been "lost", so there is just another 1-2m to be mined.  At these rates people need to be really careful.  Ethereum, which is really the blockchain software people have to use for smart contracts, could be the huge play still.  
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I should've bought in 2 years ago. I was seriously thinking about it.

I fucked that up

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• ArmogiArmogi Posts: 76
    i made $50 buck! big day.
    The big winner will not be bitcoin - remember MySpace? Haha!!!!
    edited November 2017
    I think it could go either way... obviously, lol. What I mean is that I think it is a real mistake for people to invest in it now, at this price, under the assumption that it's actually a sure thing - there are all kinds of stories about people using their life savings and everything they own to buy bitcoin before it goes up even more. Well, I wish them luck! But I'm much more wary of bitcoin. Of course I wish I'd bought some when they opened the very first bitcoin ATM ever in my own city, to much hoopla (they were more a joke at that point than anything else) - they were worth practically nothing then and I could have easily bought a bunch of them, and I'd be cashing them in right about now. Oh fucking well.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    I would have rather bought Apple stock in early 2013. It was trading at low $400s per share before a 7 way split. That same $400 share is worth $1200 today (accounting for split). Triple up!  Instead I sat on the sidelines like a dope! 
    edited November 2017
    bbiggs said:
    I would have rather bought Apple stock in early 2013. It was trading at low $400s per share before a 7 way split. That same $400 share is worth $1200 today (accounting for split). Triple up!  Instead I sat on the sidelines like a dope! 
    But I could have actually gone to that first ATM in 2013 and bought a bitcoin for $70, lol. So even if I'd only bought 10 of them, I would have turned $700 into $100,000 if I cashed in yesterday!! Much, much more lucrative than Apple stock if the timing was right. What's brutal is that I clearly remember that day 4 years ago with that machine was unveiled. I remember thinking, "wtf, $70 for just 1 bitcoin? What kind of crazy exchange rate is that?? That's way too much!" I made a conscious decision to not buy any. Dammit, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ I totally hear you and agree, if the play was for pure upside. That would have been one hell of an investment!  I just mean for me in reality I wouldn't gamble to that degree. Apple had a much lower ceiling but a much higher floor.  Investing in bitcoin 4 years ago was like taking your money to the roulette table and throwing it all on red. ;) Apple could have lost 10%-20% (plus or minus) but they were a blue chip company with a low PE ratio and $100 BILLION in cash.  All the right reasons to invest were there and I chickened out! Such is life...
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I totally hear you and agree, if the play was for pure upside. That would have been one hell of an investment!  I just mean for me in reality I wouldn't gamble to that degree. Apple had a much lower ceiling but a much higher floor.  Investing in bitcoin 4 years ago was like taking your money to the roulette table and throwing it all on red. ;) Apple could have lost 10%-20% (plus or minus) but they were a blue chip company with a low PE ratio and $100 BILLION in cash.  All the right reasons to invest were there and I chickened out! Such is life...
    Yeah, for sure. Risk is the name of the game, and bitcoin seemed not just like an iffy investment - at the time it also seemed kind of silly and ridiculous to a lot of people. Apple on the other hand... well, now I wouldn't say it's as safe because of Steve Job's death and what was lost with him, combined with the impressive competition in innovation that's grown in the last few years and the price of the stock right now, but in 2013, Apple was one of the most sure bets out there, for sure.
    Anyway, hindsight, eh? One of the great frustrations of life, lol.
    I was just chatting with a co-worker about bitcoins, since my mind was on it, and she gave me this graphic, which one of our techs sent her when she told him that she thought it sounded like some kind of weird pyramid scheme, lol. Anyway, I think this infographic is very good for those who don't know what the deal is with this currency. :)

• foodshop65foodshop65 Connecticut Posts: 717
    there's an ETF symbol GBTC...3 months ago it was at $300...hit $1800 today...you can play NVDA, AMD, SQ and PYPL...they say McD's will be taking it by the end of 2018
    Randall's Island 9-29-1996, MSG 9-10/11-1998, Meadows, CT 9-13-1998, Sacramento 10-30-2000, Bridge School 10-26-2002,MSG 9-8/9-2003, Hartford 2013, Amsterdam 2014(2), Memphis 2014, MSG 5-1/2-2016, Fenway 8-7-16, Fenway 9-2/4-18 MSG 9-11-22
    <18,000