America's Gun Violence

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Another “responsible” gun owner, getting ready for that Christmas feast.

Hunter shoots pickup truck after mistaking it for a deer, police say - Fox News https://apple.news/AV2iwqy9USESBIbl3S6lg4w
    IS it ok to talk about the millions of hunters that are safe or are we just concentrating on the vast minority?

i hunted last week with my father in law and he safely shot an 8 point buck with a 30.06.  Is that newsworthy?
    Feel free to start a thread. Did you expect a gold star? Did you call your local news outlets and make the paper or local news channel for bagging an eight point buck with a 30.06? Somehow bagging a pick up is news.
    I didnt get a gold star because I wasn't the one who took the shot. Maybe next time.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Another “responsible” gun owner, getting ready for that Christmas feast.

Hunter shoots pickup truck after mistaking it for a deer, police say - Fox News https://apple.news/AV2iwqy9USESBIbl3S6lg4w
    IS it ok to talk about the millions of hunters that are safe or are we just concentrating on the vast minority?

i hunted last week with my father in law and he safely shot an 8 point buck with a 30.06.  Is that newsworthy?
    Feel free to start a thread. Did you expect a gold star? Did you call your local news outlets and make the paper or local news channel for bagging an eight point buck with a 30.06? Somehow bagging a pick up is news.
    I didnt get a gold star because I wasn't the one who took the shot. Maybe next time.  
    Well, you should have gotten a blue star for participating. Sad!

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    If you shoot someone in accident you should at least:
    Spend time in jail
    Never be allowed to handle own or otherwise possess a gun ever again
    Pay compensation to your victim above and beyond medical expenses

These morons will be back hunting next season. 
    The problem with these fucks, is that they're not actually hunting.  They go out and just shoot at shadows and noises, not giving a flying fuck about responsibility.  The first thing they teach you in gun safety and or hunting programs is that, once you squeeze the trigger, there is no way in hell you can call that bullet back and get a do over.  So make damn sure you are sure about your target before you just let it rip! 
    I'm cussing a lot today, because non hunters and anti gun advocates lump us all together.  Like a bunch of toothless white supremacist bastards firing away at anything that moves.
    I'm trying to show the opposite side to this, and these reckless idiots aren't helping any.
    I would lock them both up and throw away the keys.
    I’m sure you’ve expressed these opinions to the NRA, maybe threatened to cancel your membership, and to your state house and congressional delegation?
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    Spend time in jail

The problem with these fucks, is that they're not actually hunting.  They go out and just shoot at shadows and noises, not giving a flying fuck about responsibility.  The first thing they teach you in gun safety and or hunting programs is that, once you squeeze the trigger, there is no way in hell you can call that bullet back and get a do over.  So make damn sure you are sure about your target before you just let it rip! 
    I'm cussing a lot today, because non hunters and anti gun advocates lump us all together.  Like a bunch of toothless white supremacist bastards firing away at anything that moves.
    I'm trying to show the opposite side to this, and these reckless idiots aren't helping any.
    I’m sure you’ve expressed these opinions to the NRA, maybe threatened to cancel your membership, and to your state house and congressional delegation?
    How is the NRA responsible for this?  They feel the same way I do.
    They head all types of gun safety, concealed carry, and hunter education programs.
    Unfortunately they haven't come up with a course on how to fix stupid.
    My membership goes towards the education programs they provide to try to stop these tragedies from happening.  Unfortunately there are to many yahoos living amongst us.

Hence the absolute need for significant gun reform.

It's either that or eugenics. As much as it would be fantastic to improve the overall quality of the human being... selective breeding is a much more daunting task than meaningful change.
    You are right.  There needs to be some significant reform.  I just don't know what gun reform law would have helped in the case of this hunting area that's the same place as a recreational area that has bike paths.  And this 200 yard pistol shot doesn't make a bit of sense. 
    There needs to be a few reform laws to prevent idiotic tendencies.  Yes, selective breeding would be good. Then we could phase out some of this nonsense.  So the guy that accidentally shot the girl on the bicycle claiming that he was shooting at a deer, and she just happened to be in the background and got struck, (total bullshit in my opinion) In addition to some quality jail time,  he should also be castrated so that he cannot pass on those dumb genetics that he possesses when he gets released.  On a much more serious note the guy treating his pistol like a toy and shooting stuff at 200 yards with a pistol who killed the lady nothing funny about any of this.  He should be sentenced to life, and be castrated too.  I will write to the NRA and suggest that my donations go towards the castration of people who shoot people accidentally out of stupidity. It will be known as the COIGOA
    (Castration Of Irresponsible Gun Owners Act). I think it would be a great deterrent.  You accidentally or mistakenly shoot somebody while you're hunting, or target shooting, I say get out the scissors, pocket knife or whatever.

same old talking point every time. 
    Bleep you
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    Spend time in jail

RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    Spend time in jail

They head all types of gun safety, concealed carry, and hunter education programs.
    My membership goes towards the education programs they provide to try to stop these tragedies from happening.  Unfortunately there are to many yahoos living amongst us.

It's either that or eugenics. As much as it would be fantastic to improve the overall quality of the human being... selective breeding is a much more daunting task than meaningful change.
    You are right.  There needs to be some significant reform.  I just don't know what gun reform law would have helped in the case of this hunting area that's the same place as a recreational area that has bike paths.  And this 200 yard pistol shot doesn't make a bit of sense. 
    There needs to be a few reform laws to prevent idiotic tendencies.  Yes, selective breeding would be good. Then we could phase out some of this nonsense.  So the guy that accidentally shot the girl on the bicycle claiming that he was shooting at a deer, and she just happened to be in the background and got struck, (total bullshit in my opinion) In addition to some quality jail time,  he should also be castrated so that he cannot pass on those dumb genetics that he possesses when he gets released.  On a much more serious note the guy treating his pistol like a toy and shooting stuff at 200 yards with a pistol who killed the lady nothing funny about any of this.  He should be sentenced to life, and be castrated too.  I will write to the NRA and suggest that my donations go towards the castration of people who shoot people accidentally out of stupidity. It will be known as the COIGOA
    (Castration Of Irresponsible Gun Owners Act). I think it would be a great deterrent.  You accidentally or mistakenly shoot somebody while you're hunting, or target shooting, I say get out the scissors, pocket knife or whatever.

Bleep you
    Well, that added a lot to the conversation. I'm convinced. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    Spend time in jail

RYME said:
    CM189191 said:
    Spend time in jail

Bleep you
    lol. how adult. obviously you can't dispute it. or you'd be disputing it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Yee haw! Happy holidays! I wonder how many “responsible” gun owners won’t live to see the holidays?

FBI Says Background Checks For Black Friday Gun Purchases Hit Record High - HuffPost https://apple.news/AiY5iUOfNTfmsI0OFuE_2Wg
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Maybe the general public needs to be educated on when hunting season starts just maybe it can save a few lives , notice to public stay away from trails or parks because we can’t differentiate between responsible and irresponsible gun owners..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Maybe the general public needs to be educated on when hunting season starts just maybe it can save a few lives , notice to public stay away from trails or parks because we can’t differentiate between responsible and irresponsible gun owners..

...so....responsible or irresponsible gun-owner ?

Garland man accidentally fatally shot in head while teaching son to shoot
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38365729

How Japan has almost eradicated gun crime....I like it....get us there

If you want to buy a gun in Japan you need patience and determination. You have to attend an all-day class, take a written exam and pass a shooting-range test with a mark of at least 95%.

There are also mental health and drugs tests. Your criminal record is checked and police look for links to extremist groups. Then they check your relatives too - and even your work colleagues. And as well as having the power to deny gun licences, police also have sweeping powers to search and seize weapons.

That's not all. Handguns are banned outright. Only shotguns and air rifles are allowed.

The law restricts the number of gun shops. In most of Japan's 40 or so prefectures there can be no more than three, and you can only buy fresh cartridges by returning the spent cartridges you bought on your last visit.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

If you want to buy a gun in Japan you need patience and determination. You have to attend an all-day class, take a written exam and pass a shooting-range test with a mark of at least 95%.

There are also mental health and drugs tests. Your criminal record is checked and police look for links to extremist groups. Then they check your relatives too - and even your work colleagues. And as well as having the power to deny gun licences, police also have sweeping powers to search and seize weapons.

That's not all. Handguns are banned outright. Only shotguns and air rifles are allowed.

The law restricts the number of gun shops. In most of Japan's 40 or so prefectures there can be no more than three, and you can only buy fresh cartridges by returning the spent cartridges you bought on your last visit.

Speaking of pipe dreams...Are these the “common sense” measures that are suggested?  Maybe there could be a gun fairy that gives you market value if you put your gun under your pillow at night?
    ”Sweeping powers to search and seize weapons”...with that statement, it’s not the 2nd amendment you would have to hurdle, it is the 4th that would be in the spotlight.
    PJPOWER said:

Speaking of pipe dreams...Are these the “common sense” measures that are suggested?  Maybe there could be a gun fairy that gives you market value if you put your gun under your pillow at night?
    ”Sweeping powers to search and seize weapons”...with that statement, it’s not the 2nd amendment you would have to hurdle, it is the 4th that would be in the spotlight.
    2nd amendment refers to "well regulated"

It obviously works in Japan.  You would be a fool to call it a pipe dream there.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    PJPOWER said:

It obviously works in Japan.  You would be a fool to call it a pipe dream there.
    Yeah, but it would not work in a country where “no one wants to ban all guns”.  You would also be a fool to think you could successfully implement those laws in the USA.  Fun to dream about though...I guess?
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Yeah, but it would not work in a country where “no one wants to ban all guns”.  You would also be a fool to think you could successfully implement those laws in the USA.  Fun to dream about though...I guess?
    Did you read the article?  All guns aren't banned.  

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Oh look another gun nut who looks reality in the face and says "that will never work here", and offers no alternative solution. The reason why it's so difficult to implement is because fools like you have a general disregard for common sense. Congratulations, you and your NRA 'logic' are what's wrong with America and the root cause of the gun violence problem. Thank you for coming here and continuing to remind us you value your shiny toy over life, liberty and property.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I was more so referring to Japan’s general firearm law:
    “No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords”
    The culture is a bit different than US culture.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

I was more so referring to Japan’s general firearm law:
    “No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords”
    The culture is a bit different than US culture.
    Correct...that's the fucking problem.  We need the government to correct it...problem is the gun lobby owns the party that controls our government.

• stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited November 2017
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court, which has avoided major gun cases for seven years, on Monday declined to hear a challenge backed by the National Rifle Association to Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons enacted after a Connecticut school massacre.

The court turned away an appeal by several Maryland residents, firearms dealers and the state NRA association, who argued that the ban violated their right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment. 

The justices sidestepped the roiling national debate over the availability of military-style guns to the public. 

The case focused on weapons that have become a recurring feature in U.S. mass shootings including the Nov. 5 attack at a Texas church that killed 26 people, the Oct. 1 attack at a Las Vegas concert that killed 58 people, and the 2012 massacre of 20 schoolchildren and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which prompted Maryland’s law.

Assault weapons are popular among gun enthusiasts. 

The challengers, who had sued Maryland’s governor and other officials in 2013, appealed a February ruling by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia that upheld the state’s law. The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

Maryland’s ban outlaws “assault long guns,” mostly semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, as well as large-capacity magazines, which prevent the need for frequent reloading. 

Backed by the influential NRA gun lobby, the plaintiffs said in a court filing that semi-automatic rifles are in common use and that law-abiding citizens should not be deprived of them. 

“The sands are always shifting with the Supreme Court,” Democratic Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh said. “I hope that this means they have reached a conclusion that they are not going to fiddle with assault weapons bans across the country.” 

The Supreme Court last year left in place assault weapon bans in New York and Connecticut.

Article continues:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-guncontrol/top-court-spurns-challenge-to-maryland-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKBN1DR1SE

Post edited by stuckinline on
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court, which has avoided major gun cases for seven years, on Monday declined to hear a challenge backed by the National Rifle Association to Maryland’s 2013 state ban on assault weapons enacted after a Connecticut school massacre.

The court turned away an appeal by several Maryland residents, firearms dealers and the state NRA association, who argued that the ban violated their right to keep and bear arms under the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment. 

The justices sidestepped the roiling national debate over the availability of military-style guns to the public. 

The case focused on weapons that have become a recurring feature in U.S. mass shootings including the Nov. 5 attack at a Texas church that killed 26 people, the Oct. 1 attack at a Las Vegas concert that killed 58 people, and the 2012 massacre of 20 schoolchildren and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which prompted Maryland’s law.

Assault weapons are popular among gun enthusiasts. 

The challengers, who had sued Maryland’s governor and other officials in 2013, appealed a February ruling by the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Richmond, Virginia that upheld the state’s law. The 4th Circuit, ruling 10-4, said it had no power to extend constitutional protections to “weapons of war.”

Maryland’s ban outlaws “assault long guns,” mostly semi-automatic rifles such as the AR-15 and AK-47, as well as large-capacity magazines, which prevent the need for frequent reloading. 

Backed by the influential NRA gun lobby, the plaintiffs said in a court filing that semi-automatic rifles are in common use and that law-abiding citizens should not be deprived of them. 

“The sands are always shifting with the Supreme Court,” Democratic Maryland Attorney General Brian Frosh said. “I hope that this means they have reached a conclusion that they are not going to fiddle with assault weapons bans across the country.” 

The Supreme Court last year left in place assault weapon bans in New York and Connecticut.

Article continues:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-court-guncontrol/top-court-spurns-challenge-to-maryland-assault-weapons-ban-idUSKBN1DR1SE

Sounds like the Supreme Court is leaving these types of regulations up to the states.  Does not sound like we’ll see a national “assault weapons” ban any time soon.
  • 09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    CM189191 said:

...so....responsible or irresponsible gun-owner ?

Garland man accidentally fatally shot in head while teaching son to shoot
    That is a terrific teaching moment.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    we had a 9 year old girl come into the ER the day after thanksgiving. she was being taught to hunt in a stand. she went to pass the shotgun back to her dad and it went off. it shattered her collarbone, took off a bunch of skin and muscle, and glanced her face. just missed her subclavian vessels, which would have been fatal if she hit them. they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do to fix her clavicle, as you can't just bone graft it.

not a gun violence story per se, but and example of even supervised children with the dad and arms length away can still shoot and nearly kill themselves.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    we had a 9 year old girl come into the ER the day after thanksgiving. she was being taught to hunt in a stand. she went to pass the shotgun back to her dad and it went off. it shattered her collarbone, took off a bunch of skin and muscle, and glanced her face. just missed her subclavian vessels, which would have been fatal if she hit them. they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do to fix her clavicle, as you can't just bone graft it.

not a gun violence story per se, but and example of even supervised children with the dad and arms length away can still shoot and nearly kill themselves.

We don't let 9 year old children drive. We don't let 9 year old children do a whole lot of things that are dangerous and that require both the physical coordination and the judgement that maturity brings. I can't for the life of me understand why the US lets young children operate guns.

Yeah, yeah...tradition....I hunted with my dad, and he hunted with his dad before him, and so on...it's still ridiculous. If, as a parent, you're so keen to pass on your hunting traditions to your kid, then he or she can come out with you, absorb the atmosphere, and (with any luck) learn how to safely operate a firearm. That doesn't mean that they should get a chance to shoot one yet. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • we had a 9 year old girl come into the ER the day after thanksgiving. she was being taught to hunt in a stand. she went to pass the shotgun back to her dad and it went off. it shattered her collarbone, took off a bunch of skin and muscle, and glanced her face. just missed her subclavian vessels, which would have been fatal if she hit them. they are still trying to figure out what they are going to do to fix her clavicle, as you can't just bone graft it.

We don't let 9 year old children drive. We don't let 9 year old children do a whole lot of things that are dangerous and that require both the physical coordination and the judgement that maturity brings. I can't for the life of me understand why the US lets young children operate guns.

Yeah, yeah...tradition....I hunted with my dad, and he hunted with his dad before him, and so on...it's still ridiculous. If, as a parent, you're so keen to pass on your hunting traditions to your kid, then he or she can come out with you, absorb the atmosphere, and (with any luck) learn how to safely operate a firearm. That doesn't mean that they should get a chance to shoot one yet. 
    Kids gotta eat.

Brilliantati©
  • Sure am glad all those guns were sold on Black Friday. We’re a whole lot safer now.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/362286-gunman-in-high-rise-opens-fire-on-reno-street

Brilliantati©
  • Sure am glad all those guns were sold on Black Friday. We’re a whole lot safer now.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/362286-gunman-in-high-rise-opens-fire-on-reno-street

Yah. The playbook is wide open now. The tools necessary for mass carnage are ready available... losers just need their setting to wreak it: farmer's markets, concerts, busy streets, subway stations and the regular 'boring' places like schools, movie theaters, and such.

He just needed a large gathering where his bullets would have had a challenging time not hitting flesh. Fire into clumps of people with semi automatic weapons tweaked to fire automatically and large capacity magazines so you don't have to annoyingly reload so damn much.

It shouldn't be too much longer until your next brutal, national tragedy.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/deer-hunter-who-killed-woman-is-charged-with-manslaughter/ar-BBFZkjF?li=AAggNb9&ocid=edgsp

Nighttime, neighbourhood, handgun deer hunter charged with shooting his neighbour after he thought she was a deer.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited December 2017
    And don’t forget the house tax bill legislation that has a provision to prevent states from banning convicted felons from obtaining concealed carry permits. Considering most convicted felons are white and honed their white nationalist and neo-Nazi skills and ideology while incarcerated, it makes sense coming from this group of Trump supporters in Congress? Does Canada allow convicted felons to conceal carry?

Brilliantati©
  • Only 58 killed. That’s it. No big whoop. Cancer kills more. So do car wrecks. Alcohol. No need for changes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/local/las-vegas-teens/

Brilliantati©
  • Only 58 killed. That’s it. No big whoop. Cancer kills more. So do car wrecks. Alcohol. No need for changes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/local/las-vegas-teens/

It blows me away that this is 'normalcy'. That people will argue to defend this. It's completely asinine.
This discussion has been closed.