Options

Anyone here have experience with Rega turntables?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
Finding the right turntable has proven to be problematic for me over the years.  In 2005, I purchased a Goldring TT.  It lasted 9 years then crapped out.  3 1/2 year ago, when I purchased my Project Carbon Debut, I thought I was set for a good while.  Despite all the care I've given it, the %@&#  thing has developed a worsening motor hum AND a motor tapping sound. 

The more research I do, the more I am beginning to believe there just aren't any really good entry level turntables out there.  But the cost of good turntables these days in very high, I'm 66 and money is not getting easier to make, and I want to make the right choice this time.   

My latest research leads me to thinking the best reliable TT's out there run around (or a little over) $1,000, almost the same amount of money the Goldring and Project I've purchased in the past combined (should have gone a step up to begin with!)

So now I'm looking at the possibility of a Rega Planar 3 with Elys cartridge.  Have any of you had experience with this set up?  Recommendations?  

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I know a lot of folks who swear by Rega. My only hesitation with them is they do not disclose their specs.

Honestly, if money is an issue, I’d give the U-turn Orbit a shot. A friend of mine has one and it’s a really nice, clean sounding table. An Orbit Custom with solid color MDF plinth, acrylic platter, tonearm cue lever, & Ortofon 2M red cart is $369. Go with the Grado Black1 cartridge and it’s $349. And if you go with the standard MDF platter you can knock another $75 off, down to $274-294 depending on the cartridge you pick. 

Purchase thru tomorrow and you get a free record. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    Sorry to hear about your turntable woes, Brian. 

Have you contacted Pro-Ject about the motor issues? They may be able to repair or replace it for significantly lower cost than a new turntable. 

On topic: My brother in law has a Planar 3 and he absolutely loves it. He has a phono pre-amp and a pair of JBL powered speakers. Pretty simple set up. I haven't heard his stereo first hand but he keeps trying to talk me into buying the Rega.

Good luck!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    I know a lot of folks who swear by Rega. My only hesitation with them is they do not disclose their specs.

Honestly, if money is an issue, I’d give the U-turn Orbit a shot. A friend of mine has one and it’s a really nice, clean sounding table. An Orbit Custom with solid color MDF plinth, acrylic platter, tonearm cue lever, & Ortofon 2M red cart is $369. Go with the Grado Black1 cartridge and it’s $349. And if you go with the standard MDF platter you can knock another $75 off, down to $274-294 depending on the cartridge you pick. 

Purchase thru tomorrow and you get a free record. 
    Thanks for suggestion, Dyer!  I've read that the U-Turn sounds good but also that it has some major issues with the belt.  

dudeman said:
    Sorry to hear about your turntable woes, Brian. 

Have you contacted Pro-Ject about the motor issues? They may be able to repair or replace it for significantly lower cost than a new turntable. 

On topic: My brother in law has a Planar 3 and he absolutely loves it. He has a phono pre-amp and a pair of JBL powered speakers. Pretty simple set up. I haven't heard his stereo first hand but he keeps trying to talk me into buying the Rega.

Good luck!
    The more I read, the more I'm convinced Pro-Ject probably still has on-going motor issues.  Also, I have yet to find a good turntable repair service in my area.  

The Planar 3 is looking tempting despite the (for me) major cost.  Thanks, Dudeman.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Well, here we are almost exactly a year later and I'm still dealing with the POS Carbon Debut.  I got frustrated looking at all the options but lately, the frustration is even greater the muted taping coming from my TT and all the fixes I've read about look iffy at best. 

Everything I've read about Rega sounds great but I'm being steered away elsewhere from the Planar 1.  Apparently it's no better than the Carbon Debut.  So that leaves the Planar 2 or the Planar 3 although the 3 is really pushing my budget almost off the wall. 

So I'm inquiring once again about the Planar 1, 2 and 3 (the 6?  Sure- if I win the lottery, lol!)  Anyone have experience/ recommendations with these Rega TT's?

Thanks!